Chapter 8

Love me, love me not.

For the first time that week, the Shims were having breakfast together. Mr Shim has had a short breakfast and left for a golf session with his partners. Victoria and Changmin were eating quietly when Mrs Shim started, “Victoria dear, what happened to your phone?”

Victoria answered, “Deh omoni? It’s uh, spoilt.”

Saying it with full earns her a stare from the older woman. “Victoria, what did I say about eating with your mouth full?”

“Mianhae!” replied Victoria, after downing a mouthful of water.

“You can’t even remember that and how could you even think of wanting to move out and stay on your own?”

Both Victoria and Changmin looked up for very different reasons. Noticing the shock in Victoria’s face, Mrs Shim replied, “Your mother spoke to me about it and I wasn’t too happy. What’s wrong with staying with us? Is this house not big enough for you? Are you unhappy?”

“You wanna move out, Qian?” asked Changmin, the shock still apparent.

Ignoring him, she stuttered, “Ani omoni, it’s not like that.”

“Then? Do you think I’m too old to care for you now?”

“A-ani,” replied Victoria, looking down like a child being reprimanded.

“So there’s no reason for you to move out, is there?” Mrs Shim asked again.

“No, omoni,” Victoria sighed.

“Good, case closed,” said Mrs Shim triumphantly. Changmin just chuckled and secretly heaved a sigh of relief.

Victoria was silently eating her bread when Changmin leaned over and whispered, “You know omma just outtalked you to stay, right?”

Victoria looked up, surprised, her big eyes blinking. Looking at Mrs Shim’s big smile while spreading jam on the bread, she realised what Changmin said was right. “Damn, she’s good,” Victoria thought, and sighed again.

“By the way Victoria dear, I called Yanin the other day,” continued Mrs Shim. Again for the second time, the 2 looked up shocked. The bestfriends turned, looking at each other thinking, “We’re screwed.”

“She said she had fun during dinner and was asking why she couldn’t get through your phone,” continued Mrs Shim, putting the bread that she just spread on Victoria’s plate.

Victoria sighed a relief, thankful that Yanin didn’t think that there was anything wrong with the dinner.

“I told her you might be busy and you’ll call her back once you got the chance. You will, right?” Mrs Shim asked, looking at Victoria, expecting a positive answer.

“Neh, omoni,” Victoria replied and nudged Changmin. He, in turn nudged back.

“Stop playing under the table, I can see what you’re doing you know,“ replied Mrs Shim calmly, pouring orange juice on her son’s empty glass.

At her warning, the two stopped. Mrs Shim continued, “Although I couldn’t understand why she would prefer calling you instead of Changmin. Is there anything going on that I should know about, Shim Changmin?”

Changmin instantly looked up at the call of his name and said, “Ah, ah, no omma! Dinner was fine! Maybe..”

He looked at Victoria, giving her signals to help him.

“Maybe she’s just more comfortable with me, omoni! You know, since we’re girls and all,” replied Victoria, finishing Changmin’s sentence.

“Deh!” Changmin suddenly said when he felt Victoria kicking him under the table.

Mrs Shim eyed the 2 and nodded, seemingly taking that they’re telling the truth. “Arasseo. So Victoria, go get a new phone and give a call to Yanin ara? And Min, ask the lovely girl on another date. You don’t need me to teach you how to woo her, do I?”

“Neh,” replied Victoria.

“Deh?!” Changmin shouted at the same time. A kick and a cold stare from Victoria made him change his tone and replied again, “Deh, omma.”

“Good!” Mrs Shim beamed. “Now, I’m heading to Mrs. Kim’s house for a charity meeting, you kids play nice and don’t start arguing the moment I turn my back arasseo?”

“Deh,” they said together, as Mrs Shim walked away.

“Man, she’s fierce today,” commented Victoria, her eyes blinking at Mrs Shim faint silhouette.

“Dya think she’s menopausing?” asked Changmin innocently.

Victoria turned to him and continued blinking. Then, she smacked the back of his head with a napkin. “Yah! Seriously?!”

“Ouf!” shouted Changmin, rubbing the part of his head. “I was just asking! You don’t have to hit me so hard!”

“That’s for being so insensitive,” said Victoria, getting up of her seat.

Changmin asked, getting up as well, “Qiannie! Where are you going?”

“To a phone shop, then maybe to meet your wife-to-be,” answered Victoria, teasing him.

“Not funny, Qian,” said Changmin grumpily. “Then what am I supposed to do?”

“You can, one, follow me and meet Yanin as well or, two, go meet the other guys,” said Victoria, “Don’t you have any other friends? Stop bugging me, people would think you’re my long lost child.”

“Fine, I go meet the guys then,” said Changmin, detouring back to his room.

Victoria smiled and thought, “I thought so.”

Sitting on her bed, she grabbed the house phone and began dialling Yanin’s number. Then stopped.

“Oh crap, what’s her number again?” thought Victoria.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Our Victoria just got served by Mrs Shim.

Mrs Shim 1, Victoria 0.

Woman's fierce!

Aaand to answer @elizabethmumu and @JT0912, patience love! What's a story without drama? And it hasn't even begun yet!