Chapter 5

Love me, love me not.

Victoria was trying to play it cool and trying to engage Yanin in a conversation while Changmin was just sitting there, staring into space, folding his arms.

"So, you're from Thailand right?" asked Victoria, in english.

"Yes, my family's from Thailand but we migrated here a while back," replied Yanin, shyly.

"Any chances you would know how to speak Chinese or Korean?" asked Victoria, expectantly.

Yanin shook her head and replied again, "Non of my sibling can speak chinese, despite our grandmother coming from China. I can't speak Korean either, but oppa knew how to. He was stationed in Korea before, you see."

She continued, blushing, "The only thing I could understand  and say are, Oppa, Unni and Annyeonghasaeyo. I'm sorry."

Changmin rolled his eyes, earning him kick from Victoria under the table. She understood how Yanin felt for she was like her when she first came into the Korean family. Victoria in turn told her of how it was when she came and how awkward she was when she couldn't communicate with the family before.

"But I'm better now, right Min?" Victoria asked him, trying to make him engage in the conversation. All teh young man did was grunt an answer.

After ordering one of the main courses, Yanin thanked the waiter and turned to look at Changmin and Victoria, smiling sheepishly. One can only do so much when the person who was supposed to be involved is not doing anything to make the situation better. Conversations between her and Yanin start to surprisingly get comfortable once they found a common topic between them.

Shoes.

“I really love their line for the fall season,” said Victoria excitedly, leaning forward, putting her elbows on the table.

“Oh yes!” replied Yanin, her eyes sparkling. “Even their classic line is to die for!”

The girls continued fan girling on their favourite designer and their favourite design this season, forgetting the grumpy guy, by the side. Even Yanin has forgotten the purpose of the dinner, now already googling the shoes she saw in the Chanel shop earlier on the day, wanting to show it to Victoria.

Changmin rolled his eyes for the wsecond time and thought, "Women."

Victoria was beaming and getting high on excitement when she suddenly felt a pinch on her thighs.

“Aaaah!” shrieked Victoria, earning a confused stare from Yanin.

“Unnie, what happened? Are you ok?” she asks.

Giving the culprit a quick glare, she turned to Yanin and smiled sweetly. “Ah! I thought I felt something in between my legs.”

Pretending to look under the table and up again, she quickly said, “Oops! My bad. It’s nothing!”

Yanin giggled. Feeling a vibration from her phone, Yanin excused herself to take the call. Walking away from the table, she obliviously left Victoria to handle Changmin’s wrath a little sooner than expected.

“Yah! Who the hell was that?!” asked Changmin, though whispering, still exude how angry he was.

“Yanin. Remember Yanin? Didn’t she introduced herself earlier?” replied Victoria innocently.

“You know that’s not what I meant,” corrected Changmin. Waving his arms about, he said again, “This! This whole situation. Did you just orchestrate this?!”

Before Victoria could reply, Yanin came back to the table. “Mianhae Vic-unnie. I have to go. My oppa just flew back from his business trip and wanted me to pick him up. He was away for the year to oversee our Thailand branch, you see.”

“I see. It’s ok Nin, you go on ahead,” replied Victoria, smiling. Kicking Changmin’s leg, she tried to get him to at least give her a civilise goodbye.

“Ah,” Changmin suddenly said, coughing, shocking Yanin.

Standing up, he bowed and said, “It was a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Horvejkhul.”

Still surprised, Yanin just stared back at Changmin and subconsciously replied, “Ah neh, it’s my...pleasure too, I guess.”

Changmin looked up to her and gave her his most charming smile, mesmerizing the girl. Awkwardly, she stood up from her seat and bid her farewell to Victoria and left.

Without waiting for Changmin to say anything, Victoria slowly got up from her seat and said, “So, I’ll just be..”

“Sit. Down,” said Changmin authoritatively.

Victoria automatically sat at his command, fidgeting with her top.

“I’m waiting,” he said again.

Victoria took a deep breath and sighed.

“Your parents made me promise to bring you guys together cause we’re bestfriends and you mother called me earlier to bring you to meet Yanin and make sure you don’t leave or make a bad impression which I think you just did and I know that I should have told you but I know that you will reject so I decided to lure you with food,” said Victoria in a breath, as quickly as possible.

Catching her breath, she peered at Changmin awaiting his reply.

“So you promised to bring me and this Yanin together?” asked Changmin.

“Yeah?” replied Victoria slowly.

“And you’re ok with me dating her?” asked Changmin again.

“I guess?” replied Victoria again, making it seemed like a question more than an answer.

“I see,” said Changmin, looking down, thinking.

“So you’re ok with it? This whole thing?” asked Victoria, getting her hopes up. “You’re not angry or anything right?”

Changmin looked up to her and said, “No, no and yes. I’m ing pissed.”

“Oh Minnie, Minnie, Minnie..” Victoria tugged at Changmin’s folded arms and did her best aegyo.

“Not gonna work this time, Qian,” said Changmin. “I trusted you.”

Victoria sighed and said, “You know I can’t say no to your parents, especially with what they have done for me so far.”

Seeing that Changmin is still not budging, she sighed again and threw her napkin on the table.

“You know what? I had a long day and I am as stressed as you are over the situation. You’re not helping by being a pain in the over the whole dinner either, no matter whether you’re forced or not. The Shim Changmin I knew would still put on a smile despite the situation. Apparently my bestfriend didn’t come to dinner with me today. I’m done,” she said, standing abruptly and walked out, leaving Changmin alone at the table.

Victoria passed a waiter and gave him her business card, saying to charge it to her boutique and left. While walking in the car park to her car, she felt her arm being pulled. The impact caused her to turned, facing who she thought was a thief.

Turns out, it was just Changmin. Gripping her wrist, Changmin started, “Wait.”

“What else do you want Changmin?” asked Victoria, trying to pry her hand from him.

“I’m sorry,” he said quietly.

Victoria loosened her hand and looked up to his face, giving him a hard stare. Changmin moved towards Victoria and cupped her cheeks with his other hand. “I’m sorry I was such a jerk during dinner. And I’m sorry I blamed you for all this.”

Hearing his sincere apology, she looked up again searching his face. She replied, “I’m sorry too, for lying to you. And forcing you to dine with Yanin without telling you.”

Changmin smiled at her apology, making Victoria in turn, smile back. Putting his forehead on hers, the two closed their eyes and just stood there for a moment or two, enjoying the quiet.

Victoria was the first to break the contact and said, “Bestfriends?”

Changmin smiled. “Bestfriends,” he repeated.

Walking to the car, the two was holding hands. If a stranger were to look at them, they would think that the 2 were a couple who just got over a squabble.

The way back home was calm. Parking the car, Victoria got out of the car and bid her best friend goodnight.

“Night Minnie,” she said, walking to the front door.

“Qian?” Changmin called out to her.

“Hmm?” she turned.

“Have you ever thought of me more than a friend? A man perhaps?” asked Changmin.

Victoria chuckled. “Of course silly. You’re my bestfriend and besides, you’re a man aren’t you?”

Changmin looked down and smile. “Oh Qian, and you were saying Junsu’s dense,” he thought.

Victoria extended her hand and called out, “Come on, let’s go in.”

Locking the car, he took it and hand-in-hand, they walked into the house.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Aaaaand they're happy again. Our 4D bestfriends are so cute sometimes.

I've new subscribers! Wow!

Awesome and once again I hope you guys, old and new, enjoy the read.