Chapter 2

Love me, love me not.

“So son, you’re already 25 this year,” started Mr Shim, as he cuts into his rib eye. The younger Shim rolled his eyes and looked at Victoria, who was seated in front of him. She, too rolled her eyes at the statement and smiled. Both knew where this would lead to. Mr. Shim has a knack of starting as such when he has a request for Changmin.

“Oh dad, the last time I hear you say that, you wanted me to start working in the company,” said Changmin, chewing his linguine, remembering back to when he just ended college at 22 years of age.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full young man,” scolded Mrs. Shim, looking at him with stern eyes. Victoria looked at him too, mimicking her while stuffing her salad into .

“You too, young lady!” said the older woman, slapping Victoria’s arm lightly. The latter choked on her salad, surprised that she was caught too.

Changmin laughed and handed her a glass of water. He stuck his tongue out at her while Victoria did the same and took the glass from him.

The exchange was interrupted by Mr. Shim. “As I was saying, you’re already 25 and here you are the both of you, acting like you’re still 5 years old!” he chuckled, shaking his head.

“Mianhae, appa,” said Changmin, still making eyes at Victoria while putting a spoonful of pasta into his mouth. Victoria just smiled and continued eating her salad.

“Anyways, I was thinking of matchmaking you with the Horvejkhul’s daughter,” said Mr. Shim casually, dropping a bomb on all of them. Victoria and Changmin choked.

Giving the kids their glass of water each, Mrs. Shim rubbed Victoria’s back to aid better digestion. “Yeobo! What did I tell you about telling them this during dinner?! Now, see what you have done?”

2 gulps for water later, Changmin exploded, “Bwoh?! Matchmake?!”

Mr. Shim, already expecting the reaction from his son, replied, “I was having a business lunch with your uncle earlier last week and have decided to match make you with his daughter. What better way to strengthen the business ties than to have our families bonded with potential marriage?”

“But, appa,” said Changmin, as he started to retort back.

“I know this comes as a surprise to you, but I understand that Yanin has also been fond of you since she saw you at the ball. So, why not?” continued Mr. Shim.

Before Changmin could say anything, he said again, “You don’t have to agree to it now. I’ll give you time to think about it. But you do know, son that ultimately, you don't have a choice. So I suggest you come to terms with it now and not oppose to it.”

Changmin turned to his mother, hoping to get support from her and said, “Omma..”

Mrs Shim just smiled and said, “Your dad’s right Changmin. Yanin’s a nice girl if you get to know her better.”

Changmin slouched and leaned back on his chair. Looking at Victoria, he got no response from the Chinese girl. She was looking down at her plate, her hair curtaining her face. She was cutting into the steak quietly.

Realising that no one is on his side, Changmin pushed away his plate, his appetite now lost. He left the table and went off to his room, slamming the door in the process.

His rebellion made Victoria look up and stare at his vacated seat. Mrs. Shim turned to Victoria and said, “Victoria love, you’re his bestfriend. Make him understand, will you? For me?”

“Yes, Victoria, help aboeji and omoni will you? It’s for his future,” said Mr. Shim, his eyes pleading with her.

Victoria could only smile and nod. "Why me?" she thought.

Monday came and the two still have not spoken to each other. Changmin has left early for the office and have skipped breakfast. Victoria was sitting, munching her sandwich mulling over the weekend’s announcement.

“So, they wanted Minnie to marry Yanin, huh? That’s a surprise,” thought Victoria. “She's a nice girl for him right? She seemed like she is, right?”

“So, why am I feeling so down?” she thought again. Her train of thoughts were halted with Mrs. Shim shouting from the kitchen. “Victoria Song! You’ll be late if you don’t leave now!”

Breaking from her trance, she sat up straight and shrieked, “Oh! ! I'm going now, omoni!”

Running to her car, she the engine and sped off to work. Reaching the office 15 minutes after her usual clocked time, she composed herself and walked into the store. Clicking her Loubotins on the parquet floor, she was dressed in a colourful asymmetrical sheer sleeveless top that flows down to her knees. Pairing with a white bandeau and white slacks that stops just above her ankles, she looked smashing.

“Morning guys!” chirped Victoria, masking her true feelings. Mix matched voices were heard greeting her back. Nobody really cared if she’s late, for she is the boss after all. Victoria has opened a small boutique 5 years ago after she had graduated from college and it has now been a favourite to-go for the young and hip uptowners.

Not that you can actually call the 2 storey shop house a small boutique. THe starting capital has been given to her on her 21st birthday by the parents in China and it was not a miniscual amount at all. The 1st floor opens up as a boutique, where she showcases her designs for sale and the 2nd is the office. Her personal room and her staffs’ were divided by a see-through glass. She didn't want the setting to be too constricted and formal so she opted for an open space concept . It was tastefully designed by a favourite sunbae she met in design school.

Walking into her room, her secretary walked behind her, following the boss. Once Victoria took a seat, she started informing her appointments for the day. When the blonde is done, she looked over at her boss, who was daydreaming away.

“You ok, boss?” asked Luna, her secretary.

“Hmm? Yea, what next on the agenda again?” asked Victoria, opening her sketch book.

“Meeting with the designers,” replied Luna, still eyeing her boss. “Vic, tell me. You don’t seem like youself today. Quarrel with Changmin again?”

Victoria randomly sketched an outline of a lady and answered her, “Nah, Kid’s too busy with his problems now to pester me.”

Luna raised her left eyebrow at the statement. More than Victoria’s secretary, she was Victoria’s close friend since back in high school. When her friend has a problem, she would know. She asked, “Really?”

Victoria looked up and smiled. “Really. Now, can you call Krystal and Junsu in for me?”

Luna didn’t say anything and just nodded.

Sighing, Victoria whispered to herself, “C’mon Qian, let’s work. We’ll tackle one thing at a time.”

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, beautiful people!

A quicker update this time. I've been using my lunch time to write up this story that has been stimulating in my brain, making it hard for me to concentrate on my actual work! Hehe..

I must be Victoria crazy. Anyways, I've been going to and fro withe the past and the present and didn't want to spoil the flow by putting in a 'Then' and 'Now' in between. But if you're confuse, do tell. I'll do it right away.

Anything for my readers, right? :D :D

I hope you're just as excited as me with this one. Komowo!