Chapter 3

Love me, love me not.

Changmin, on the other hand was not in his best mood either. Looking outside the French window of his office, he looked out at the busy street. Having an office on the 21st floor, he has an immaculate view of the city. “Why an arranged marriage?” he thought.

“We’re one of the most established and accomplished company in Korea and the States, so why the need to have a marriage to strengthen our ties?” he thought again. “Why Yanin and not..”

Then his thoughts went back to Victoria. His childhood friend. His bestfriend. His first love. When he first met her, he thought Christmas came early. Sitting alone at the playground, with her jet black long hair cascading down, covering her face, she was playing with the sand with her feet. After his mother told him of his new noona, he decided to come up to her and introduce himself.

Everything was forgotten when she looked up to face him. Her big brown eyes widen in confusion. In contrast to her black hair, her skin was fair. She looked like a porcelain doll in one of the counters in the toy shop. Deciding to not introduce himself as someone younger, he went, “You’re my younger sister but it’s ok. You don’t have to call me gege. We can just be friends.”

Changmin smiled at the reminiscing past. “Pabo,” he said to himself. Victoria only knew she was older than him when they were celebrating his 6th birthday.

“Why is there only 6 candles, omoni?” asked the Victoria, who is now familiarising herself with the Korean language.

“Why, of course dear. He’s 6 years old! A year younger than you,” the young girl widen her bunny eyes and started running after Changmin, out to get him for tricking her for a year. Since then, Victoria would playfully ask him to call her noona whenever he pissed her off.

But love only really started blooming for Changmin when he saw her during her 1st prom night. Looking lovely in a long tube red dress and gold heeled sandals, in his eyes, she was the belle of the ball. Also, as pretty as she was, she has the brains to match. Although, she was never shy of admirers, Changmin was always there to scare them away from her. Being the inseparable from young, they always hung out with their group of friends. Despite being a year younger, he always hung out with the older crowd, not feeling awkward at all.

Changmin snapped back to reality when he heard a knock on the door. “Come on,” he said curtly, walking to his desk, seating down.

Yoochun walked in with a document in his hand. “I’ve a document for you to sign,” said the head of Marketing.

Changmin quietly took the document Yoochun extended to him and opened it to sign. Sitting across him comfortably, Yoochun started, “So..”

“You knew,” said Changmin, more of a statement than a question.

“Yeah, I was there when they were talking about it,” he said calmly, waiting for the young man to go ballistic on him.

Changmin looked up and suddenly shouted, “You were there?! And you didn’t tell me?!”

“Your dad told me not to tell you before he does!” said Yoochun in defense. “I can’t defy the boss, can I?”

“Urgh!” said Changmin, pinching his temples. Leaning back, he closed his eyes. “Ottoke?”

“Hey! You’re single and I’m sure this Yanin is a nice girl. Why don’t you just give her a shot?” asked Yoochun, playing with the pendulum on Changmin's table.

“What dya mean give it a shot?! I know she’s nice but, I’m just, not into her like that,” Changmin tried to explain.

“Because you’re into Vic?” asked Yoochun, quietly.

Changmin opened his eyes, surprised. “C’mon, everyone knew. Your actions are never subtle, you know,” said Yoochun. “Remember when Jae-hyung had the hots for her during college and you always gave him a deadly stare every time he tried to advance on her? Everyone knew man.”

“Everyone?” asked Changmin, leaning forward, looking at Yoochun.

“Well, everyone except Su, I think. You know he’s always so oblivious of everything,” said Yoochun, chuckling.

“Then does she? Too?” asked Changmin, not really making sense of his question.

“Well, I don’t think so. You know how she is. As clueless as Su. I swear they are always in their own little world when we’re together,” said Yoochun.

Changmin let out a sigh and lean back. “Why don’t you just fess up and everything will just be fine and dandy,” said Yoochun, now trying to stack up the pencils on the desk.

“What if she doesn’t like me back? We’re besfriends, hyung. Childhood bestfriends. I don’t want us to be awkward if it don't work out,” said Changmin truthfully.

“You won’t know, if you never try do you?” asked Yoochun, scrunching his forehead. His ‘tower’ of pencils did not hold and are now scattered on the table.

“I don’t know, hyung. I don’t know,” Changmin sighed and stared at his friend playing around with his stationary for the next half hour.

Meanwhile, Victoria received a call from Mrs. Shim. “Uri dtal, can you do me a favour? Your aboeji have made reservations for Changmin and Yanin to meet tonight. Would you be a doll and bring him to the restaurant. It’s a reservation for 3. Make sure he behaves, hmm?”

“A-ah, deh omoni,” said Victoria, not knowing how to reject the older woman.

“Komowo, Victoria-yah. Oh by the way, your mother called this morning asking how you were. She misses you,” said Mrs Shim.

“Ah neh, I’ll be sure to call her soon. Komowo, omoni,” said Victoria, and put down the phone.

Victoria leaned back on her chair and sighed. “Why did I even agree to bring them together?” she thought. Getting up, she began pacing up and down her office, getting the attention of her staff. Junsu got up and tapped on her glass wall, surprising Victoria.

The blonde man waved at her and signalled her if she is ok. She signalled back that she’s fine and walked back to her desk. Junsu wasn’t satisfied and decided to walk into her room. “You, ok, Vic?” he asked. “What did Changmin do this time?”

“Aniyo, I was just thinking. My world don't just revolve around him, ya know,” said Victoria, smiling at the man. “Oppa, remember Yanin?”

“Nichkhun’s sister, Yanin?” Junsu asked her back. “Didn’t we meet her at last year end ball?”

“Uh-huh. What dya think of her?” she asked again.

“Hmm, pretty hot and extremely nice too. Albeit, kinda quiet,” replied Junsu.

“She’s nice right?” asked Victoria again.

“Deh deh. Wae? You wanna introduce her to me?” asked Junsu, breaking into a smile. “I don’t mind!”

“Andwae, oppa,” said Victoria, biting her nails. “She’s off limits.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Number 3's up! Thanks for you continuing support!