Chapter 7

Love me, love me not.

Victoria sped walk all the way to the carpark. “What the hell was that?! What’s wrong with you, Qian?” she thought, shaking her head vigorously.

Walking aimlessly, passing by rows for cars, she then suddenly stopped. “Damn it! I didn’t bring my car with me,” thought Victoria and smacked her forehead. “What is seriously wrong with me?!”

“Aish!” she clicked her tongue and walked back to the lift, heading back to the lobby. Calling her secretary, she sang into the phone, “Luna!~ Remember the guy you said you wanted to introduce to me a couple of days ago? Is he still interested?..”

Changmin isn’t really in a good shape either. Ignoring the breakfast that Mrs. Lee just brought in for him, he’s just staring at the documents on his desk, thinking back to what had happened just a couple of minutes ago. “Damn,” he whispered to himself and then suddenly broke into a sheepish smile. “She’ll just be the death of me, that woman.”

The day passed quickly with the 2 bestfriends busy with their individual work. It was already 8 when Victoria glanced over at the clock. She’s still busy compiling the final designs to be brought to the workshop the next day. Junsu knocked just 10 minutes earlier to inform her that he’s leaving and reminding her not to stay too late.

She was looking for the fabric chart on her messy table when she knocked over the said booklet off. “Aish! Today is definitely not a good day for me.”

Crouching down, she took the booklet, noticing a shiny object further under her desk at the corner of her eyes. “What’s that?” she thought, crouching fully on her hands and knees, crawling in, trying to reach for it. Picking up the said object, she realised that it was her missing Chanel ear stud that she had lost a couple of days ago. “Aha! Found you!”

That was how Changmin found her, under the desk with a good view of her behind sticking under the desk. He walked in, chuckling and leaned on her desk. Knocking the desk, he said, “Found what?”

“Aak!” Victoria shouted in surprise, hitting her head in the process. Turning, she saw a pair of legs at the side of her desk. Crawling out of her desk whilst rubbing her head, she looked up to see the intruder. “Yah! Jugulle?!”

Changmin laughed and went over to sit on her chair. “What are you doing down there?

Getting up with a jump, she showed both items on her hand. “These!” said Victoria. “Check it out! My lost ear stud!” she said, widening her eyes with excitement.

“Told you it’s somewhere around,” said Changmin, twirling around in her chair. “Are you done yet?”

“In a bit. What are you doing here?” asked Victoria, resuming to her work of pairing the fabric to the designs.

“Omma called, saying you’re not home yet. Since you didn’t drive your car over today either, I decided to pop in and pick you up,” said Changmin looking at her, waiting.

“Hmm,” Victoria replied, still focussing on her work. Realising that Changmin has been very quiet, she looked up. The young man is staring at her, in his stoic face seemingly waiting. Chuckling, she went around the table to him and said, “Aigoo, uri Minnie’s such a nice kid today! You’ll be a great boyfriend to someone, one day.”

Pinching his cheeks, she smiled at him, beaming so hard her bunny eyes disappeared into slits. Knowing that Changmin expects getting praise for a job well done, she decided to instead. Walking back, expecting an annoyed reply from him, she was surprised when he asked instead, “Why not a boyfriend to you instead?”

Turning back to look at him, she laughed and said, “Oh would that just be convenient. Anyways, did omoni say anything when she called just now?”

Changmin paused; his face turned grim at Victoria’s response and then sighed. “She asked about Yanin and I kind of briefly said that the dinner went ok. Although I did warn her not to do anything behind my back anymore but knowing my mum..”

Victoria chuckled and replied, “She is definitely still gonna.”

“Exactly!” said Changmin again, twirling in her chair again.

Already packing up, and putting things in order on her desk, she looked up and shouted, “Yah! Shim Changmin! Stop that! Let’s go! I’m done..”

Stopping and getting up, he straightened his pants. “Kaja. I’m famished. I assumed dinner is on you cause we obviously know the last one doesn’t count.”

Victoria just rolled her eyes and replied, “Deh, deh, arasso. I already said I’m sorry, didn’t I? Sheesh.”

Taking her bag and walking behind Changmin out of her office she said again, “Oh! Dya know if the telcom shop is open? I need to get a new phone.”

“Yah! It’s already 10. What dya think?” asked Changmin, raising his voice slightly, searching for his car keys in his pockets.

“Aak!” Changmin suddenly shouted in pain. Victoria, annoyed that Changmin has been rude to her since he came into her office, is now pinching his ears and warned, “How dare you ‘Yah’ me young man?! No manners! Call me noona!”

Still having to tiptoe on her heels, she continued to pinch the tall man’s ears all the way to the car, putting a deaf ear to his pleas for her to stop.

Already back home, Victoria sat on the side of her bag drying her hair, while waiting for her call to go through on skype. A few rings after, her mother’s face came up on the screen. “Mama, I miss you!” shrieked Victoria.

“Qian, how are you my daughter?” asked Mrs Song, smiling. “Has work been tough?”

That was the only communication she has with her daughter since Victoria has left for the States. It was calls, emails or video-calls, not that she’s complaining since she’s the one who wants her daughter to be education in that foreign land.

“I’m ok, mama. I’m sorry I couldn’t make it to Papa’s last birthday party. I was held up with work,” she said, getting comfortable on her bed.

“It’s ok, child. We got all your gifts that you sent us too. Papa loved it. He’s at work now so he couldn’t come over to chat with you,” Mrs Song said.

“I had a chat with Changmin’s mother a few days ago. Remember the other day when I was asking if you would like an apartment of your own? It seems like she doesn’t like the idea of you moving out!” Mrs Song conveyed, laughing.

“But mama, I’m already 26! And I don’t want to impose on the Shims any further,” whined Victoria.

“Why don’t you talk to her? Maybe she’ll relent? I don’t mind whatever arrangements you make as long as you are comfortable, my dear,” replied Mrs. Song.

“Putting that aside, Qian. Your grandmother has been asking when you’ll be coming back to China to stay for good?” asked Mrs. Song. “She has been asking for you lately.”

Victoria just smiled. “You know I have my business here. But, I’ll think about it, okay?” she said, hoping that would reassure the elder.

“I understand, dear. I’ve to go now. You take care over there ok? Remember not to cause trouble to the Shims,” said Mrs. Song.

“Mama! I just said I’m already 26! I’m not a trouble maker either!” whined Victoria.

Laughing, Mrs Song replied, “I know, I know Qian. I’m just reminding you.”

“I know, Mama. Please take care and tell everyone wo hen siang nie men,” said Victoria. “Love you, mama.”

“I love you too, my only daughter,” replied Mrs. Song and signed out.

Leaning back on her bed board, Victoria sighed. “I really miss you, Mama.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, today's update's up!

Thanks subscribers old and new for reading.