Chapter 1

Love me, love me not.

“Changmin-ah! Catch me if you can!” she said, her laughter echoing along the corridor. Running away from him, she exited by the door out to the back garden. Her brown locks tumble, shining in the sun. Her bright, round eyes kept looking back to him while she sped away in her long creamy legs. Giggling away and taunting him, her voice the likes of an angel singing.

Changmin could only just run after her, her voice and beauty mesmerising him to follow. Despite the little prank that she has played on him, he never gets mad at her. Just by smiling, she could melt his anger, much less his heart.

“Qian! Come here you!” he said, laughing too. “Don’t think you could get away from me!”

Running back into the house to the kitchen, Victoria searched for someone to save her. Her eyes sparkled when she saw her potential saviour. She may have long legs and extra seconds to outrun Changmin, but she knew that the latter have much longer legs and can runs faster than her.

Before Changmin could get to her, she has already extended her arms and reached for someone by the stove. Hiding behind her saviour, she stuck out her tongue to Changmin, “Omoni! See! Changmin’s gonna hurt me!”

Halting and reaching for her from behind the kitchen counter, he whispered, “Yah!”

Turning around, Changmin’s mother chuckled and switched off the stove. “Omo, kids! Stop playing in the kitchen!”

“Omoni! It’s Changmin!” she said with aegyo, hugging the older woman. Mrs. Shim turned to her only son and with a spatula on her hand, she stood with arms akimbo. “Changmin! Stop it this instant! Stop teasing your noona!”

Changmin was quick to react. Leaning his long frame by the counter, he was holding on to an apple acting nonchalant. Pretending to inspect the apple, he responded, “Me? What did I do? I was just getting an apple.”

Biting on the apple, he closed his eyes and savoured it. “Hmm, crunchy!”

Then, he felt something hit his head. Shouting in pain, he opened his eyes in bewilderment. “Omma! I didn’t do anything!  It’s Qian.”

“As if I’m gonna fall for that. Since young you have always been teasing her and you expect me to believe your little facade?” asked Mrs Shim, her eyes peering at her son.

“It was Qian! Not me! She pranked me 1st!” complained the younger man to his mother. Victoria was just giggling away, her arms still around Mrs Shim.

“Enough you two. Get out of my kitchen! I need to cook or we’ll all be starving for dinner!” she commanded. Not wanting to be the target of the deadly spatula again, the two exited the kitchen. Victoria was skipping out of the kitchen ahead of Changmin. Before he could even think of flicking her ear, Mrs. Shim was quick to add, “Get your hands off her, Shim Changmin. Or no dinner for you!”

Victoria turned to Changmin signalling that he better heed the older woman’s warning before she scream again. Sticking her tongue out to him again, she sped walk away.

“Pssh! Woman,” he thought. “Yah! Qian! Wait up, I won’t hurt you,” said Changmin walking behind Victoria.

The two have always been at it since young. Despite being a year younger than Victoria, Changmin has always been the more mature and responsible one. Victoria, well, she just loves to play around and be carefree. She has moved from China to the States at a very tender age of 6 when her parents decided that it was better for her to be educated in that foreign land. Being friends with the Shims, they have decided to put them in the care of their only daughter there.

The Shims have moved to California way before Changmin was born as they have decided to bring their business into the global market. When Victoria first came to the States, she was vulnerable and very quiet. Not knowing the language have made Victoria very wary of speaking with others and seemed meek. Changmin was the first friend she ever had and thanks to him, by the end of the 1st year she was there, she had adapted quickly to the language and the environment.

Victoria could still remember the 1st time she met Changmin. She was sitting on the swing, looking down. Her feet were playing with the sand while she lazily swung herself bit by bit. Realising that someone was blocking her from the sun, she looked up. There he stood, looking at her. Victoria got up from her swing and stood in front of him. Looking at him, she tilted her head to the side, still not talking. He was barely as tall as her but he had an air of confidence that made her feel like he is as tall if not more than her.

“My mom said you’re my new noona and I should be friends with you,” he started in Korean, staring at her straight. Victoria just stared at him, confused.

“Noona?” she said softly.

Changmin looked up, thinking. “Hmm, wo de xing jiejie?” he said again, in Chinese and then shook his head. “Ani, ani!”

He started again, struggling in his Chinese, “ You’re my younger sister but it’s ok. You don’t have to call me gege. We can just be friends.”

Changmin extended his small hands to her. Victoria just nodded and took his hand. Changmin shook her hand vigorously and smile. The latter then did the same.

“Yah! Qian! I was talking to you!” shouted Changmin, waving his hand in front of Victoria’s face. “Were you listening?!”

Changmin was rambling on and on about how crazy the host was to be so near a crocodile when he heard Victoria giggled.

The two was sitting on the settee in the lounge room, watching a crocodile documentary by Steve Erwin. To be specific, Victoria was sitting down, while Changmin was sprawled on the rest of the settee with his head on her lap. On his stomach rests a bowl of popcorn.

Victoria snapped out of her trance and looked down at him. “Huh?”

Changmin gave her a stoic face, bouncing his head on her thighs. “You were laughing to yourself. What’s so funny?”

“Yah! That’s painful!” shrieked Victoria, shoving his strong shoulders away while the young man kept doing it relentlessly. “What are you doing?! Nappeun nom!”

Sitting up, he put the bowl on the floor and eyed Victoria, “What did you say?”

“Appo!” said Victoria, rubbing her thighs. “You have the head of steel you know!”

Moving closer, Changmin’s face is now only a few centimetres away from hers. Looking up, the tip of her nose brushed against his lips. Victoria instinctively leaned back, causing her to fall on floor. Changmin too, leaned back at the intimate touch, his eyes widened.

“Y-yah! I-I w-was just asking if you’re listening!” shouted Changmin. “You don’t have to call me names!” he said looking very awkward.

Victoria was rubbing her behind, which was probably red from the impact and said, “You started it!”

Changmin then moved to the end of the settee and peered at Victoria. “Appo?” he asked apologetically.

“Hmm. I don’t care! Call me noona!” she commanded, now folding her legs, sitting Indian-style on the floor.

“Pssh!” Changmin snorted and got up, leaving the room. Victoria shouted, “Yah!”

Peeking from the door into the room, Changmin then said with aegyo, “Mianhae uri Qiannie noona. Kaja, dinner awaits the great Shim Changmin!”

He then closed the door and walked towards the dining room. Victoria just smiled and looked down. Still blushing from the contact that they had, she attempts to hide her face with her long hair. “Aish, this guy.”

Shaking her head vigorously and getting up, she shouted, “Yah! Wait for me Minnie!”

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, thanks for not giving up on me yet! :D

Here's the first chapter for you.

How is it?