Baby Be Mine [Chapter12]

Baby Be Mine

Chapter 12

 

It smells flowers here. Jasmines, roses and lavenders too. I miss it, being here, mum’s garden is the perfume capital of my world, it’s beautiful. I only wish I could enjoy it under better circumstances.

                Aiden and I have been here for three weeks already. Last week, he took his first stable 10 steps, followed by another 10 and collapse. I feel like both Siwon and Donghae should have been here, but at least my parents were there to share the moment, even if it was a touch bittersweet.

                That night, I called Sungmin, and told him everything without missing any single details, I need him to know. I don’t want to live in lies anymore. He is a good listener. I cried again that night, I promised myself that I would be strong after that. He said he was happy for me, truly, since we are best friends. I remember his last words before we hang up, ‘Live your life now Hyuk. You’ll be happy. And I will come and visit you soon. Just you wait okay?’ I’m thankful that I have him as my best friend.

                Aiden loves having his doting grandparents around. It’s nice to have their company, their helps, but it’s also harder in some ways. Truth to be told, I feel a bit useless when I’m not running my own household. That sound very Women’s Institute, but it’s true. I feel that.

                I’ve had no contact with Siwon. Nothing at all, he just cut off our ties so easily like that. But I could not blame him, no? It’s entirely my fault. This is the consequences I have to live with. I tried dialling him three times though, but I dare not call him again after. I can’t bear to endure the torture of an endlessly ringing phone.

                On the other side, Donghae sticks to his word. He calls me soon after we settled in, one week after. He makes arrangements to come and visit us in the middle of August. My parents are horrified to hear that he’s planning on staying in a hotel. And the conversation we shared was the most hateful and intrigued we ever had.

                “He can stay here” Mom insists.

                “No!” I hastily brush her off

                “What, is our house not good enough for him? Not five star enough?” Dad chips in.

I sigh. “It’s not that.” Mom is still seeking for answers.

                “I don’t know. . .  I mean, what if people realised he was here?”

Mom comes to me. “People are far more likely to recognise him if he stays in a hotel. They’ll follow him and then what? They’ll eventually find him here. It’s far likely dangerous. He should be save here” Mom says.

                I quirk an eyebrow, “ Not if Dena manages to secure all the rooms”

                “Who’s Dena?”

                “His PA” I say

                “His PA?” Dad asks. “ Is he having it off with her too?”

                “No, Dad! “ I cry. “She’s married!”

                “Didn’t stop him when Siwon was around”

                “Siwon and I weren’t married” I try to stay cool.

                “You may as well have been.” Dad says gruffly. “Siwon was his best friend. And he just took you away from him” I can’t believe my Dad just said that. When did he become sarcastic like that? No idea.

                “That’s why I don’t want him here!” I finally erupt. “You two! All you’d do is nit-pick at him the whole time. It’s embarrassing!” There go my gold stars for good behaviour.

                “Oh dear,” Mom says. Now I feel guilty.

I close my eyes for a few seconds and open them again. “I’m sorry. You’ll see enough of him when he’s here. I’m sure we’ll hang out at the house rather than risk being seen around, in town” That seems to pacify them somewhat. God knows why. It’s not like they’re big Lee Donghae fans anyways. I’m quite confused with them sometimes. One time they’re okay, one time they act lunatic that I’m sorry for Donghae, whenever they meet.

                I turn to my Dad, all of a sudden overcome with the need to explain something. “What you said . . . about Donghae stealing me from Siwon . . . well, Donghae and I were together first” I inhale, three seconds, and then exhale. It feels important that my parents know this. “So you could say that Siwon stole me from him, whatever it is” I add, stupidly.

                “Is that true?” Mom’s eyes widen.

                “Well, not strictly speaking ,” I backtrack. Got a bit carried away, I guess. “We weren’t actually together when Siwon and I . . . Oh, maybe I don’t want to talk about this after all.”

                “Why not? I think we should know the whole shebang” Mom says indignantly.

                ‘Oh for goodness’ sake!’ I moan inside my head. But true enough, I at least owe then the explanation that put us where we are now. I can’t leave them with their speculations alone, who knows what other lunatics my parents can be.

                “I fell for Donghae, and he apparently fell for me too, but he was scared of commitment . . .” Way to go, Hyukjae! That’s the diplomatic way of saying that he came onto anyone right in front of me and shagged someone I really, really didn’t want him to shag. Even up until now, I still wince at the memory. I continued. “I quit my job as his PA, stayed friends with Siwon, got together with Siwon, the Donghae came back for me”

I look up to my parents, and they lean forward in anticipation.

                “Donghae came back for you? That’s . . . What happened next?” Mom pries, addicted to this unexpected gossip fix.

                I sigh. “ Donghae and I . . . you know . . .” I give them a look and they shift from their seats. I cannot believe I’m telling them this. “He wanted me to go to LA to live with him.” I face palm. I can’t believe I’m telling my secret past, to anyone but my parents.

                “Really Hyuk?”  Mom interrupts.

                “Well, why wouldn’t he?” Dad says, puffed up full of misguided pride for his only son.

                “But I said no.”

                “What?”  They ask, I guess they don’t quite hear me, maybe my voice is muffle by my shames, stuck in my palm.

                I look up to them. “I said no”

                “Oh.” That was both of them speaking.

                “And a month later I found out I was pregnant and the rest is history . . .”

Silence filled the hall, since they’re still contemplating on this new information.

                “You can’t tell any of this to anyone,” I warn them.

                “As if I would!” she snorts, but I know her.

                “And you won’t be able to have any of your friends over while he’s here,” I tell them strongly. “In fact, you can’t tell anyone that he’s here, at all”

                “Goodness me, what a palaver,” Mom sniffs, looking at me. “Now I’ll have to make up some excuses about us all coming down with something.”

                I sigh. “I didn’t say that you should stop seeing them,” I say. “You can still go to their houses, instead of inviting them here for a few days. That would be grand”

                “Sure. We’d be happy to do that,” Mom and Dad say.

                “Thank you. For understanding.” I say.

                “At least, we’d be able to help you. Don’t worry darling” Mom says

                “Thanks.” I smile. This is going to be nightmare. I just hope everything went well. I really hope so.

 

It’s Saturday. I go to pick up Donghae from the airport in the Q5. He flew first class instead of bringing his own private jet this time, and after a really quick conversation on the phone on the other night, we agreed that he won’t need alternative transport while he’s here. We want to keep this low-key as possible.

                I pick the car and go inside to Arrivals, wondering blithely what Donghae would do to keep his low profile. Would he be in disguise? Because believe me, he’s not very good at it. He really is the number one fans of attention, I can guarantee that. And the fact that people might recognise him here just adds to my early stage of headache. Whatever it is, I just hope he keeps his low profile, not only for him, but for me and my family too.

                I keep on walking to the arrival boards. I check his flight’s arrival time and see that it has just landed. I hurriedly go to stand behind the barriers.

                It starts as a buzz before turning to screams. Flashes are popping off all over the place and people begin to push and shove to get closer to the barriers. I’m being crushed among the throng and I know that all of this can only mean that, one, Donghae is in the vicinity and two, the disguise didn’t work. But, is he really in disguise after all? But I will keep both of my thoughts, since I really need to get out of this.

                I push back against the crowd as hard as I can and somehow manage to get away from the people and into the fresh air. The screams grow louder and if I follow the light of the flash bulbs I can just make out the top of Donghae’s head, with his black beanie and his dark shades as he walks through the Arrival halls. What on earth am I suppose to do now? Wait, when did Donghae become this famous? And what’s with the disguise? Are beanie and shades considered as disguise? Seriously this attention seeker!

                I’m scolding the world businessman slash star in my head when I realised that the scream is slowing down. He must be surrounded by security now, or otherwise he’d no longer be walking.

                This is hopeless. There’s no way he’ll be hopping into the Q5 under these circumstances. I make a decision to go and get the car and then try to contact him.

                One of his security team calls me before I get out of the car park. “Meet us around the Golden Park, just off at A8. We’ll pull up on the approach to town. We’re in a black Merc, plate number . . .” He reels off some numbers, but they go straight in one ear and out of the other. Don’t blame me! With the whole situation, I think I deserve a break. Laugh. But I’m sure I’ll know it when I see it.

                As soon as I exit the motorway on my way to Golden Park, I got another call. Private number.

“We’re being tailed by the paps. Wait at the location while we try to lose them.”

                I recognise that voice.

                “Is that you, Kim?” Kim was one of Donghae’s security guards and personal driver when I work with him. Kim usually the one that drives us everywhere.

                “Well, hello Eunhyuk.” he replies in his deep Korean American accent. “Got to go. See you in a bit.”

                I hang up and smile to myself. Eunhyuk. It’s been so long since I heard anybody calls me that. When I was working for Donghae, I introduce myself as Eunhyuk, the jewel that lightens up the life, as to what Donghae says. He likes the name, but he never calls me that. He says that he should be excluded from that, because he’s not just a co-worker for me. He’s my boss and he should be treated differently, and I’m against it at first. We were fighting, not the real one, but we really did fight, over my nickname. That was when he came out with my endearment, ‘NutHyukie’. I don’t really like it at first, but Donghae says it’s cool, and it kind of stuck and I’m okay with it. Since only Donghae calls me that, I couldn’t help but to feel special, aren’t I?

                 I must admit it feels quite strange to be back in this world. Strange and momentarily exhilarating, and I don’t find it inconvenience. Honestly speaking, I’m quite comfortable with it.

                I wait on the other side of the road for approximately thirty minutes before I’m contacted again.

“Have you lost them?” I’m referring to the paps.

                “Yeah, and we’re just arrived. Golden Park, checked in.” Kim says.

                I laugh. “Alright. I’m at the end of A8”

 

Several minutes later, I spot a black Merc stops behind my Q5, and Kim opens the car door for Donghae and they talk for a moment. Then Donghae comes forward, with Kim at the back.

                “Hye Hyuk. Sorry for the commotion. Can’t help it” He sheepishly smiles.

                “No bother Donghae. What should I say? I’m used to it” I laugh. “And, where’s your ‘I want to take this as low profile’ gone? And beanie? Wow, you’re a good actor, a very very good one, Donghae” I don’t really mean it in bad way, but yeah if he could at least nail it inside his head that I’m not going to make it easier for him, I think I’ll pass.

                “Ooh tetchy, as always” Donghae says, playfully grins at me, and then look at Kim.

                “Seriously Eunhyuk. You never changed!” That’s Kim. He laughs, along with Donghae.

                “I told you so aren’t I?” Donghae replies.

                “Yeah, definitely. You win.” Kim says to Donghae

                “What win? You were talking behind my back! Donghae!!” I say

                “What? I’m not!” but he still wears that cheeky smile on his face

                “Yes you were!” I humph.

Donghae and Kim just laugh and shook their head. Donghae then goes to the car and Kim follows behind. He carries Donghae’s bag and put it into Q5.

                “Okay Eunhyuk. It’s nice to see you back. I would love to stay, but I have something I really have to do” Kim says, extending his hand, which I gladly take.

                “Oh please. Did Donghae ask you to do that? You should stay!” I say

                “Hey! I did not!” Donghae says, defending himself, leaning against my car. Just then, his phone rings and he takes the call.

I roll my eyes at him. “Still so busy even in overseas!”

Kim laughs. “Exactly what I’d pictured, both of you never changed!”

He then comes close to me and whispers. “I hope that one thing won’t change too.” He winks at me and walks straight to Donghae when he’s done with his call.

                “Okay now Donghae, Eunhyuk. I really have to go. We’ll meet again, sooner” He takes his drive, leaving me and Donghae.

 

                “Are we just going to stand here or what?” Donghae asks.

                “No, but if you want to, we can. Hahah” I say.

                “I think we should check in first before you kidnap me” he says, grinning

                “Sounds great.” Rolling my eyes, knowing there’s no use of me talking back to him, we walk to Q5 and I drive us to his hotel.

 

I waited in the car when he checked in and went straight up to his suite and in less than 40 minutes we were good to go. This time around Donghae insists to drive, leaving me with no choice. But who am I to argue? I just like this feeling of being pampered, (laugh) but no, this doesn’t mean anything. That’s how I am, I guess.

                “What are you thinking about?” Donghae asked

                “Huh? I didn’t”

                “Very funny! Your face goes like scrunching out like that” he made that weird and amusing faces to me that I can’t help but to laugh. But I hit him on the shoulder, pretending to be mad.

                “I’m not! Yahh!!” and I keep hitting him.

                “Ouchh! Okay stop it, I’m driving” he said, still laughing

                “Serve your right!” I said and quickly look at the window.

                “What? Are you sulking now?” with that playful voice, I go urghh!

                “I’m not a kid! Why would I?”

                “Too bad you’re not, or I would ...” he stopped and my heart beats a little bit fast that it supposed to, waiting for him to continue. Only there aren’t any words. And the atmosphere never felt that awkward that I had to clear my throat.

                “So how’s your flight?”

                “Good”

                “Aren’t you tired? You had a long flight”

                “I’m fine”

And then silence again. I let him be, since I can’t find any more topics to be talked about. And he seems to be in deep thought too, looking by his stern face, I guess he is.

 

                It’s not until then that we stopped due to the heavy traffic that he clears his throat, gaining my attention. I look at him only to realise that he is already looking. And that doesn’t help, ‘keep cool, Hyukjae’ I raised my eyebrows.

                “How are you feeling? Are you okay now?” he asked, and I can feel the sincerity within.

Well, that caught me off guard. ‘Don’t lose your cool, Hyukjae’

                “It’s been weeks Donghae. I’m good.” I smile at him, hoping that he would trust me

                “Are you sure?” he asked again.

                “Yahh! I said I’m good. You don’t have to worry about me” I said, making faces to him

                “Well, I am worried, okay? Geez, are you on period or something? Always so grumpy” he grunts

                “I’m really fine Donghae. See?” I smile, reassuring him.

He seemed dazed, I wonder why. He clears his throat and said “Sure. Now why the hell the traffic stuck? Not even the peak hour” and he continues to babble.

 

I turn on the radio to kill the time and it’s not until about three songs later that we could move and went straight to my parent’s.

 

Mum and dad were by the terrace again today, under the shady longue with Aiden in between. Donghae parked Q5 in the driveway. Before I could open the door, he grabbed my arms.

 

                “Will they be okay?” he asked

                “Mum and dad? Of course, I’ve told them”

                “Are you sure? What if they don’t like me? It’s been so long, and I don’t think I made a good first impression back then” uh huh Donghae and his insecurity, remind me of the last time he met my parents, and I agreed it’s not that pleasant either.

                “What are you talking about? That’s nonsense Dnghae. Now come on, get that out, and meet my parents” I said, trying to light up the mood.

                “Do I look presentable?” he asked again. Though I want to , because he really looks insecure with that cute face (giggle inside), but I just want to get out of here before something unpredictable happen, and by unpredictable I mean, hugging him for his stupid insecurities. I try imagining hugging him, so tight, and I shiver. ‘Stop it Hyuk! Get yourself together’

                “Donghae, they will like you. Who wouldn’t? Now come on, be a good boy and follow me. Aiden’s there, they’re waiting for us” I said, sending an assured smile to him

                “Not everyone” he murmurs, and I could hardly believe that, I mean who doesn’t like Lee Donghae right? He has all the charms, but let’s not talk about that now. I can do that later.

 

We went out of the car, after about ten minutes of assuring Donghae, and walk together to my parent who’s already looking at us expectantly. I gulp. They will behave, right? Oh please mummy, daddy, please behave. Aiden suddenly squeak when he saw us. Mum then let him down as he keeps moving, as in indicating that he wants her to let him go. He throws his hands and takes one, two, three, four steps before crouching down. I smile. How cute my son can be.

 

I fasten my pace, and Donghae followed closed by. I went straight to Aiden to pick him up but surprisingly he raises his hands in Donghae’s direction. ‘What’s happening?’ I’m puzzled.

                “Daaa-daaa-aaaa” mumbles Aiden while smiling when Donghae crouched down in front of him. He picked Aiden up and my son giggles. What he freaking giggles, and to Donghae. That really hurt my pride really. Since when did Aiden prefers Donghae over me? I unconsciously pouted.

                “Good boy” Donghae says while patting Aiden’s head, affectionately.

                “Look who’s pouting” my parents teased me. I humph-ed

                “I’m not” I still couldn’t get over the fact that Aiden chooses Donghae over me

                “Go to your mo- ah daddy?” Donghae smiles, before he continues, “I think it’s more appropriate to call you that, isn’t it?”

I’m still not in mood, I mean hey I can mourn over the fact that Aiden picks Donghae over me right? But Daddy? Isn’t that supposed to be him? Wait, Aiden could call him Appa then. Yes that would be good. My mouth was itching to tell him that, but it would be too soon. ‘Soon, Hyukjae. Soon ..’

                “Sure Donghae. Whatever floats your mind” I say, trying to act normal.

Laughing, he carried Aiden securely in his arms, before motioning his eyes to my parents. Oh how could I forget about them? I hope they didn’t see my sulking-over-nothing mood just now.

 

                “Mum, Dad, this is Donghae” they sent me the knowing look and smile.

                “Hi there Donghae”

                “And Donghae, this is my parents” he bows to them. Oh my, why so polite Donghae? I smiled but of course only in my mind.

 

I was carrying the drinks to the terrace when I heard my parents and Donghae were happily converse, and I smiled. They like him right? Since they are so comfortable laughing and joking here and there. I hope they will, because he will be here lots more in the future.

 

                “So Hyuk. Have you packed?” Mum asked

Okay, so I’m a bit confused. I mean what’s with the packing? “Packed? For what?”

                “Oh you haven’t told him yet, Donghae? ” Dad asked him back

Donghae laughed and shook his head. Okay I’m more confused now, and a bit irritated plus impatient now that I unconsciously pout at them, by them I mean the three of them, narrowing my eyes.

                “Donghae, tell him. I think he’s about to explode” Dad teased.

                “Alright. Hyukjae, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier, I thought I would want to surprise you. I asked Dena for a reservation in Hyatt-Regency.”

 

                My heartbeat accelerates. This can’t be ... 

 

A/N : Okay here we go. Enjoy~~ I think I write enough in my previous note, of how sorry I am. Tell me what you think. And guess where will Donghae bring Hyukjae to? Hehehe. And you can still brick me if you want. Goodnight! ^^