A thin line

One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it

 

“Are you asleep?” a low familiar voice greeted him from the slightly ajar door; peeking curiously into the dimmed room, flashing his pearly whites.

 

Kyuhyun lazily pushed himself up; leaning straight on the white covered bed “Will you walk off if I am?” he sneered before signaling his guest to switch on the lights.

 

The tall and handsome guy turned the main lights on and strode in, carrying a basket full of assorted fruits “Should I?” Changmin playfully replied with another question, placing the basket on the wooden coffee table. Tossing his jacket on the couch, he pulled a chair to close the gap between himself and Kyuhyun.

 

“You’re late” Kyuhyun puffed his pillow, trying to find a comfortable position.

 

“I’m not your girlfriend” Changmin leaned in, handing Kyuhyun’s his tablet; showing the set of pictures taken of Kyuhyun’s wrecked car “Besides, Jessica told me that I can stay as long as I want to.”

 

“Jessica?” he looked up, staring the guy with a set of bored eyes. .

 

“Your nurse” Changmin replied with a flirty smile and a wink “She’s a looker.”

 

Kyuhyun ignored the statement, returning his attention to other important matter; his car. Eyes fixated on the graphic images flashed from the tablet, frowning at the damages.

 

 “Talking about girls, why is she going off with Donghae?” Changmin asked, hiding his curiosity behind a feign disinterest tone.

 

“Who?” Kyuhyun murmured; fingers busy tapping the slender device; lips pursed into a thin line “My nurse?”

 

“The girl who came for the Executive Designer interview” Changmin crossed his long legs, ing the first 3 buttons of his shirt before moving to fold the sleeves up “Can I have a smoke?”

 

Kyuhyun took a moment longer to register Changmin’s statement, but once he did, neither his expression nor his voice was forgiving “What did you say?”

 

“Sheesh, I’m just asking. You don’t have gets all jumpy just because you can’t have a puff” Changming rolled his eyes, leaning back comfortably in the much loosen attire.

 

“No” Kyuhyun replied curtly, scratching the outline of the white bandage as he averted his eyes “With who did you said Donghae went off with?” his words were much careful this time; though laced with hatred

 

Changmin blinked his eyes a couple of times before replying hesitantly “The executive designer interviewee” observing Kyuyun’s change of emotions “The same girl who made a scene in the cafeteria.”

 

“Victoria?!” Kyuhyun exclaimed; mixed emotions surfaced involuntarily “Victoria Song?!”

 

Amused by Kyuhyun’s silent outburst, Changmin provoked further, enjoying the rare occasion. But of course, subject on his stepbrother should be treated carefully “Is she, Donghae’s new girlfriend?”

 

“She is not” Kyuhyun revolted, but quickly chewed his lips before another outburst; not ready to disclose his engagement arrangement to his best friend just yet “He already has Yoona.”

 

Changmin and Kyuhyun had been told that they are of the same kind; blunt and sarcastic by nature. Thus it is not a surprise that they have great chemistry together. And Changmin will definitely not let a chance to tease his best friend slip away; a slow, provoking smirk appeared at the corner of his lips “Haven’t you heard? They broke off few months ago.”

 

“Not possible” he dismissed the news instantly, refused to accept such absurd statement.

 

“Well, that’s what Tinseltown are hushing about” Changmin snorted instead “Rumor has it; she was the one calling it off.”

 

“I didn’t know you’re into cheap gossip” Kyuhyun snarled, trying his best to contain his mixed emotions. He returned the tablet to it rightful owner, afraid it may lead to disastrous ending if his wrath unleash.

 

“Well, she’s practically a celebrity” Changmin calmly replied, knowing too well about his best friend repugnance over the subject “It’s not really a secret.” His legs felt heavy as he walks over to the couch, placing the tablet on his jacket. He then settled next to it, eyes strained on Kyuhyun’s darken face “Maybe you should just call her and ask about it. She’s still our friend.”

 

He heaved a deep sigh, pulling his blanket slightly higher as he slides lower “I’m a bit tired.”

 

Knowing that he stepped too far by mentioning Yoona; Changmin raised to his feet, hands grabbing his stuffs “I’ll see you around. Call me if you need anything.”

 

“Thanks” Kyuhyun mumbled, slowly shutting his eyes; wishing he could do the same with his wandering mind. The lights off, he tossed on the bed, whispering the name he used to worship “Yoona.” 

 

 

******************

 

“Thanks for the lift” Ryeowook bowed slightly from the back seat, reaching for the door as soon as the car halted in front of his apartment.

 

Victoria did the same but jerked slightly as soon as Donghae’s long fingers wrapped around her arms, holding her back from leaving.

 

“Ryeowook-ssi, would you mind if I steal Victoria for a while. There are few things I need to discuss with her” Donghae turned towards the guy, ignoring Victoria’s repulsing stare.

 

“Would you like to come up instead?” Ryeowook offered, eyeing her housemate for a sign.

 

Her face reddened at the thought, quickly interjected “its okay Wookie. I’ll be fine.”

 

Ryeowook stepped out and gave out another bow and a silent message to Victoria before heading to the main entrance.

 

Victoria panicked as the car started moving again “Where are we going?”

 

“I’m just going to park my car properly. We are obstructing the pathway” he reasoned calmly. Once the car properly parked at the visitor’s section, he turned the air-cond a notch down “Are you cold?”

 

“I’m alright” she lied, staring vacantly at the small garden in front; heart thumping loudly, worrying over another interrogation.

 

“Are you really Kyuhyun’s fiancé?” he blurted out, hands locked on the still steering wheel.

 

The blatant question was not a surprise to her “I have not accepted his proposal yet” she replied carefully.

 

A bitter smile formed at the corner of Donghae’s beautiful lips “What is the chance of you not accepting his proposal?”

 

“Why do you need to know?” Victoria asked with a smaller voice.

 

“He’s a lucky man” he replied instead.

 

“What do you mean?” Victoria wrapped her arms around her chest, trying to get some heat.

 

Noticing her shivering, Donghae quickly took off his jacket “Here.”

 

“I’m okay” she refused, their fingers touched as he pushed the jacket away.

 

“Your lips are turning blue. I could not let my future sister-in-law freeze to death right?” he stubbornly pushed through, placing the jacket on Victoria’s lap.

 

She finally accepted his advance; gently realigning the piece on her laps “Are you always this stubborn?”

 

“Always” flashing his boyish smile to her.  

 

“Just like Kyuhyun” the words came out involuntarily, but she quickly apologized for it “Sorry.”

 

Donghae shook his head “Its okay. It’s kinda irony though.”

 

“What is?” blinking hard at the statement.

 

“I’m sure you are aware that Kyuhyun and I have this love-hate relationship” he hesitantly filled the gap. He paused for a moment but continued right after Victoria gave a nod “We tried our best to stir away from each other paths. But somehow our interests and likes always crossed.”

 

“I see” she gave a weak nod, pulling the jacket higher.

 

“We even have the same taste in woman” he added with soft smile.

 

Victoria averted her eyes, staring at her colorful nails instead; reminding herself not to implore further.

 

Donghae answered with another question “Earlier, you were crying because of him wasn’t it?”

 

“Thank you for your concern” Victoria answered diplomatically “But I don’t think Yoona will be too please if you kept on worrying about me?”

 

He was taken aback by the mentioned of her name, pausing for a moment to find his words “We broke off” he replied bitterly, averting his eyes from Victoria.

 

Not sensing his change of emotions, she continued “You did lie to me earlier” Victoria reminded him, refuting his answer.

 

“I’m sorry about that” he faked a smile, nervously wetting his lips “But I just could not let you off barefooted.”

 

“Speaking about that, I’m returning her shoes. Thanks” she placed the small paper bag at the backseat.

 

Frustrated by Victoria’s stubbornness, he heaved heavily instead “I’m sorry that I lie to you earlier. I really am” he then added “But I did not lie about the shoes or to whom it belongs to. It’s up to you to believe me or not.”

 

“Lets just forget about” Victoria replied quietly “It has been a long, dreadful day. I just want to go home.”

 

“I understand” he started the ignition, turning the course towards the entrance once again “I guess we started on the wrong foot. And what I’m going to say next might even make things worst.”

 

Victoria turned her attention towards him, wary off the other’s tone. She gave out a small nod, encouraging Donghae to continue.

 

Donghae carefully constructed his words, pulling the car to a halt “I know that you and Ryeowook are best friends” he opened up carefully, deliberately pausing to observe Victoria’s reaction “But I don’t think it’s proper for the two of you to continue staying together anymore.”

 

Her face heated up in rage; but lips pursed tightly to prevent from saying more than she should “It’s none of your concern.” She deliberately left the information of Amber staying with them, out; refusing to accommodate to Donghae’s concern.

 

Donghae sighed deeply, accepting the expected answer “You’ll be moving into the main house. All of us are. It’s grandpa’s order.”

 

 

***********************

 

Another update from me  :)

Hope it’s not getting too complicated ya~ But the plots are getting thicker indeed…

Do stay tune for more twist and drama.