Past and Present

One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it

 

“Unnie… What are you doing?” Amber’s sleepy voice echoed in the small kitchen, rubbing her red half-opened lids with one hand whilst the other tousled her messy hair, striding in her fluffy night sleepers. Ignored by Victoria who was busy poaching eggs, Amber pulled a high chair out, slouching in as she rest her ruffled bed-head on her arms “I don’t feel good. Can you make that secret recipe coffee you always feed us?” she added drowsily; a complete opposite of her unnie who was freshly awake, clad in pink polo tee and dark blue jeans, hair tied in a high pony tail; frilly apron wrapped around her delicate figure.

“It’s not really a secret” she replied, delicately scooping those perfectly poached eggs from the steaming pot onto a thick white bowl. Once done, she turned down the electric stove temperature and changed the small pot into a medium size clay pot, half full with off-white rice grain and filtered water “It’s called Black Mary.” She turned the temperature up, added small cut gingers and stirred it lightly “Amber, where are the chicken stocks? I believe I’ve bought extra cubes few weeks ago.”

“I think Wookie oppa finished it up. Sungmin Oppa came in the other day, and Wookie oppa cooked this delicious chicken broth for us” Amber answered, raising her chin as she speaks, noting the food containers lining up on the small kitchen’s island “Are you going somewhere? A date you forgot to tell me about?” she asked, lazily sitting up straight.

Not replying to her roommate, Victoria pulled over few drawers to confirm on Amber’s revelation “Oh no. I really need the chicken cube” hands at her tiny waist, looking around the kitchen for an answer “Do you think they sell it at the shop downstairs?”

“They do. But they will only start operating at 10.30 am” both turned their head towards the wooden clock “It’s only 9.15am now” Amber stated the obvious. Tugging her grey sweater tighter, Amber added “I’m sure 7 Eleven has it. But it’s quite a walking distance” she ended the statement with a big yawn.     

In an instance, Victoria took off the baby blue apron and tossed it on the empty chair next to her roommate. She then ruffled Amber’s brown with golden streaks hair affectionately “Will you be able to watch the pot for me? Add some more water once it simmers.”

“Sure” Amber replied, follows by a massive hiccup “Do you want to borrow my bicycle?”

Her luscious chestnut-brown ponytail wobbled as she shakes her head, declining the offer.

“I better make that Black Mary before going off” Victoria opened the refrigerator door and took out a pitcher of orange juice and a piece of lemon; kicking the door close. Bending down, she then opened the lower cabinet and pulled out a bottle of tonic water and honey. “Better make some for Krystal as well” she mumbled to herself, reaching for a dry teapot on the top shelf. Filling the pot with newly brewed coffee, she then skillfully cut the lemon into smaller cuts, adding the orange juice and tonic water into the concoction, and finished it up with two spoonful of honey.

“Don’t forget to watch over the pot” were her last words before she left the apartment, searching for her chicken porridge seasoning; with mental notes, to buy some tomatoes and salad for her sandwich.

 

*************

 

Donghae stepped out from the steaming bathroom, wrapped in a thick ash grey towel. A small face towel was hanging on his shoulder as he walks into his bedroom, lightly filled with the rhythmic bossa nova songs; a ritual he created to light up his mood every single morning. A crisp white shirt, charcoal colored pants and a bistre stripes silk tie were carefully laid on his perfectly stretched bed.

Standing in front of the full length mirror, he carefully dried his golden brown mane with the face towel; sighing at the sight of a single white hair near his crown, making mental notes to make an appointment with his hair dresser best friend soon. ‘Hyuk, will be mocking me for this.’

Towels placed on the bathroom’s rack accordingly; he slipped on his clothes, humming the familiar song as he buttons up. He always thought that Bistre is such an odd color for a tie, but since it was a Christmas gift from his secretary, Donghae would at least wear it quarterly.

9.30 am; was the time showed on his expensive wrist. He fished out his phone and instantly dialed up a number he memorized by heart.

The call was picked after the 3rd ring “Good Morning Boss.”

“Morning Yuri…” hands free device slides on, slipping the mobile phone back into his pocket “Where’s the 10.30 am meeting will be held?” he grabbed the refrigerator’s metal handle and opened the door, pulling out a carton of chilled milk, pouring it into the empty glass “Do I have anything else after it?” he asked between sips of the white liquid.

“I’ve arrange a private room at Hilton for your meeting with HCM Enterprise. The presentation notes can be collected from Mr. Han, the hotel receptionist” a soft spoken voice flowed from the other side. “After the meeting, you have scheduled a lunch appointment with Ms Tiffany at 2.30 pm. I’ve made a reservation at the coffee house of the same hotel.”

Rinsing the glass thoroughly, Donghae placed it aside to dry “Please reschedule the appointment with Ms Tiffany to another day and cancel any other meeting scheduled today.” He left the kitchen spotless, grabbing his laptop bag and firmly tucked it onto his shoulder, headed to the door “Just text me, if you need me to be in, to sign any urgent documents.”

“Noted. Anything else, boss?”

Donghae turned the key to lock before walking towards the elevator, exchanging pleasantries with the neighbors “One more thing” he said, pressing the elevator button firmly “Can you get the phone number and full address of Ms Victoria Song. I believe HQ’s Human Resource department should have it.” Seconds later, the elevator’s door opened with a thud, revealing a striking young executive clad in burgundy colored one-piece dress, smiling sweetly at him “Please send a box of the finest chocolate to the address, with a note…‘Sorry for last night’…”

 

 *************

 

Victoria heaved aloud, stepping out of the crowded elevator, dragging her big colorful bags out, worried over the packed food, prepared for Kyuhyun. She placed the bag on the empty seat, inspecting the containers carefully. Her earlier tame ponytail messed up, sweats dripping off her forehead; a consequences she had to deal with for sunning out of the house, chasing the public transport. She was late…

“Morning” she greeted the nurse named Jessica with a rush smile “Here to visit Kyuhyun” she added unnecessarily, her eyes widen at the sight of the time, displayed on the electronic clock “Is that really the time?” she asked in disbelief, panic strikes.

“Yup, it’s almost 11.00 am” she replied sweetly, closing the gap between them.

“” Victoria cursed aloud but quickly bowed to apologize “I didn’t expect it to be this late.” Victoria turned her heels away. She was about to leave the counter, when the girl in the bright blue uniform pulled her wrist, stopping her from stepping away “Is there anything wrong?” Victoria asked worriedly.

“Im Yoona is sitting with your fiancé” she stated hesitantly, almost in whisper “She’s been with him since 4.00 am. One of the staff nurse saw her sleeping on the small couch all morning.”

“Who?” Victoria asked, blinking hard at the familiar name.

“Im Yoona” Jessica repeated herself, unable to accept that Victoria did not know the name “She made her debut a professional pianist when she was only 16 years old, featured in few TV commercials. She became a well known model at the age of 19 and now she is one of the most sought after TV host.”

Then suddenly the name rings a bell; Donghae’s girlfriend. The next question popped on her mind ‘Then why is she’s here with Kyuhyun?’

“Ahh… Yoona. She’s a close family’s friend” Victoria added instantly, worried if the nurses started spreading rumors about the two “I better go in now. Kyuhyun must be famished by now” she smiled apologetically to Jessica.

“Not to worry. I saw Yoona went to the cafeteria and bought back some food for the two of them” Jessica replied. “Her skin is flawless” she cooed dreamily “Would love to get her autograph.”

Victoria did not know how to react to her statement, bowing once again before she excused herself. After a full minute fidgeting in front the door, contemplating whether she should barge in or not; she finally raised her hand and knock on the door. Victoria waited for few moments, stepping in when a soft voice called from inside “Hi.”

“Victoria” Kyuhyun said her name, as if announcing her arrival, sitting up straight on the bed. His next statement was as Victoria expected “You’re late.”

Victoria lowered her head, faking a smile to the man; but her eyes strained on the petite girl with wavy hair, smiling earnestly by Kyuhyun’s side. Jessica was right, her flawless skin was glowing effortlessly, despite the slight eye bags spotted on her. She was looking very comfortable in a turquoise blue cardigan, matched with a Dark Cerulean jegging, tangy orange fluffy scarf covering her slender neck. A black rimmed glass and a NY maroon cap spotted on the coffee table. Comparing herself to the girl, Victoria suddenly felt so out of league.

“Yoona, this is Victoria Song, my new designer” Kyuhyun introduced them to each other. He then added further “She’s the one I told you about earlier.” Both gave out small bows, acknowledging each other presence. But somehow Victoria felt that the guy was uncomfortable having the two of them in the same room.

“Kyuhyun, you should introduce Ms Victoria as your fiancé” Yoona playfully slapped his upper arm. She got onto her feet and extended her hands to Victoria “I’m Yoona. Nice to meet you.”

Victoria took Yoona’s delicate manicured fingers into hers “Nice to meet you too. I’m Victoria.”.

“She has not accepted my proposal” Kyuhyun winked playfully, interrupting their introduction session “Yoona is one of my friends from middle school.”

“Hey, I thought, I’m one of your best friends… besides Changmin, that is” she whined cutely, pouting at Kyuhyun’s statement, hands wrapped around herself “If I know I’ll be downgraded this low, I would not have visit you so early in the morning.”

“Thanks for coming; despite your massive hangover” he teased further, but his note was clearly filled with affections.

Right in front of her eyes, Victoria saw Kyuhyun’s lips twitched into a genuine full smile; a sight Victoria has yet to discover. She stood still, not knowing how to ease the awkwardness she’s feeling inside. 

 

*****************

Though not much Kyutoria moments in this,  

I do hope you guys enjoy the  chapter, slowly revealing Yoona character. 

Changtoria scene will be up next.

More drama  awaits.