Lucky Umbrella

One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it

The small café was unusually full that afternoon. Sure their special brewed coffee, mini French croissants and delightful range of bagels were worth mentioning of, but that was not the reason for the surprising overflow patrons on that particular morning.

 

It was Mother Nature doings; the unexpected rain that brought strangers together sharing the confined space, lightly decorated in minimalistic style, for a cup of Joe to warm up.

 

“Do you have everything ready?” the handsome face behind the bar asked as he handed out a small brown paper bag; slice chicken and cheese bagel to go.

 

Victoria Song; stood out in the crowd, not due to her tall stature for a girl, or her luscious golden brown long hair gingerly draped over her shoulder, or her beautiful crafted lips to match her big bunny eyes. She radiates in her own way. She was practically beaming when she nodded assertively taking her breakfast and slipped it into her flashy oversized handbag “Yup everything is ready.”

 

“But its pouring cats and dogs out there” the tinge sound of concern lingers even though he managed to act aloof.

 

“Oh Wookie, don’t worry. I brought my lucky umbrella today” she held the folded umbrella up with her free hand, showing a glimpse of her perfectly manicured fingers and bright smile plastered on her pink glossy lips.

 

Their moment was interrupted by a deep voice from behind “Ryeowook-ssi, you better get back behind the teller or this will be your unlucky day.”

 

“Sorry Siwon-ssi” he bowed slightly and makes his dash without looking up at the source of interruption. But Ryeowook managed to give his friend a wink and mouthed ‘good luck’ before making his run.

 

Victoria was about to make her own escape when the earlier stern voice called with such smoother tone “Victoria, I heard you are going for an interview today?” the towering guy in off-white button down shirt stared intensely. “I can give you a better offer here, you know.”

 

All the baristas of the small café are fully aware of their owner interest on Ryeowook’s childhood friend from the moment he introduced her to him few months back.

 

Though Ryeowook had warned her to stay away from him, mentioning about his possessive ex-girlfriend that will be more than happy to make Victoria’s life miserable; she never took it seriously, simply being her bubbly self. Victoria flashed her winning smile and tilted her head flirtatiously “I’m allergic to coffee.”

With a bright smile, she waved her hands and walked out of the café, knowing pretty well Siwon was observing her every move and Ryeowook will be lecturing her all over again about how a she was. 

The door closed with a thud, followed by a faint chimed of the small bell hanging on top of the glass entrance. As soon as she stepped onto the soaking wet green and red welcoming mat; she breathed in deeply, enjoying the sweet smell of the pouring rain.

Victoria was about to open up her lucky umbrella when her overly sensitive ears caught faint cursing from her right side. Her long hair wobbled slightly as she turned to the side, squinted her eyes slightly as her sight caught a clean shaven young man, pouting miserably. The stranger looked out of place, clad in an expensive suit, leaning depressingly over the café’s glass wall.

“What are you looking at” the stranger barked coldly when he noticed he was being watched.

Instead of taking a step back and just walk away, Victoria took a smaller step closer instead “You look troubled, can I help you?”

The stranger hissed silently, crossing his arms tightly around his chest “It’s the ing rain.”

Victoria arched her finely trimmed brows “What about it?”

The unmistakably frowned on the stranger clearly screamed ‘Are you for real?’, but no further witty comeback was offered.  Victoria observed the stranger’s slender fingers pulled a box of cigarette from his jacket and draw a thin stick out and slipped it between his lips.

Seconds later, the cancer stick was lighted up “I need to rush for an interview. But with this weather, I’ll be soaked wet before I even get to my car.”

“What a coincidence. I’m having an interview as well” Victoria chimed as she smiled sweetly towards the guy “Want to share my lucky umbrella? I can walk you to your car?”

A soft chuckle escaped, sarcasm intended as he questioned Victoria, staring directly onto her clear brown orbs “Lucky umbrella?”

Victoria happily showed her umbrella “Yup, my lucky umbrella. I don’t mind sharing all the interesting stories the umbrella brought me, but I doubt we have enough time for it. So?”

“Are you always this nice and perky towards strangers?” the guy threw the half lit cigarette into the small metal bin. 

Victoria let out a musical laughter as she replied “Only on interview days.” Then she calmly added “Well, I always believe in Karma; ‘good things happen to good people’. So, it doesn’t hurt to treat others nicely, especially on interview days.”

The business looking guy inhaled deeply before continues observing Victoria, a soft smile grew on his thin lips “Will you get offended if a stranger tells you that you’re cute?” the guy in suit offered with a tinged of amusement.

Victoria replied eagerly by shaking her head “Why should I?” She then carefully held her bright red umbrella affront and opened it in a swift with such sense of pride only Victoria can mustered over an umbrella. She tilted his head slightly signaling to the stranger to step closer.

The stranger stepped under the umbrella with a soft curve on his lips as he whispered “You’re cute.”

Victoria tried her best to act cool walking side by side with the dashing stranger, as he leaded the way through the parking area. A moment later, they stopped next to a silver Mercedes-Benz SLK “This is my car.”

Her knowledge on cars may not be that great, but Victoria did know that was an expensive brand indeed. Her conscious level arose greatly sensing the invisible gap “Great. Well, you better get in then. Don’t want to be late for the interview.”

“You are coming with me” he replied smoothly as he fished out his car keys.

“Eh?” was the only response Victoria could muster up. She stared blankly at the guy, looking for an answer.

Followed by the beeping sound from the remote, the guy replied monotonously “I’m dropping you off at your interview.” He then stepped into his car and closed the door without even waiting for a reply from the surprise looking girl.

Victoria hesitated, mind wandered endlessly, not wanting to add to the existing crime statistic. But noting the sincerity in the guy’s voice and seeing he didn’t move from the space, she circled towards the passenger seat and pulled the door “Sorry to trouble you.” Victoria shut her bright red umbrella and carefully placed it at the side before pulling the door close.

As soon as she buckled up, the stranger accelerated forward without any second to waste “So, where is this interview of yours being held?”

“KukBo Design Co” she shivered slightly due to the chilled air. She pulled her oversized handbag closer and tucked her navy blue jacket tighter over her mustard colored knee-length dress.

 

Sensing the discomfort of his passenger, the driver turned the air-cond a notch down.

“So, you’re a designer?” he asked nonchalantly, eyes fixed on the slippery road cautiously.

“Aspiring designer” she added modestly “How about you? What field are you in?”

“Business management” he replied curtly before taking a right turn. “Are you any good in designing?”

The statement caught Victoria off guard as she pressed her stomach, not even trying to hold back her laughter “Have anyone told you that you’re pretty direct?”

“I have my fair share of accusation I guess” he replied with a lazy smirk.

Victoria leaned back with a soft smile, surprised at the lack of awkwardness between them “Well, instead of saying that I’m good at it, let’s just say designing is the only thing I know. I’m born to do it.”

He nodded affirmatively and took another sharp turn before pulling the car to a halt “That’s a good answer. You can use the line in your interview then” He looked directly into Victoria’s crystal brown eyes, sending awkward sensation to the other. Then he leisurely added “We’re here.”

Victoria turned around and saw the tall building she envisioned night after night. She inhaled nervously at the sight before turning to guy “I guess this is it” she spoke softly as she stepped out of the car. “Thanks so much for your kindness” she closed the door and bowed slightly. 

Then the passenger’s window rolled down “Good luck with your interview” he called from inside, gave an encouraging nod before making his way.

Victoria sighed softly before turning around facing the tall building. Her steps were firm and confident. As she about to press the elevator button she suddenly realized something was missing “My lucky umbrella” she whined, feeling depressed all of sudden.

The elevator door opened with a thud and she stepped out dejectedly.

“Omg, what took you so long?” a friendly voice greeted her from behind. She turned around and saw a familiar face frowning at her.

“Sungmin, I lost my umbrella” she replied to the questioning look her friend was giving her.

“Huh? What are you talking about?” the guy in blue and grey vest pulled her to the seating area and signaled her to be seated among other candidates.

“My lucky umbrella. I left it in his car.” Then she realized another miserable fact “And I don’t even know his name.”

“Now Victoria, this interview is much more important than a silly umbrella. Pull yourself together” Sungmin’s voice was laced in irritation “It’s just an umbrella, not your CV”


She looked up and gave out a faint smile “Sorry Sungmin. You’re right. Sorry for making you worried after all the troubles you go through to get me in the interview list.”

A relief smile swept over the other boyish face “Don’t mention it. You’re a talented designer. You just need a lucky break.”

Victoria took a deep breath as she look around her other competitions “Any final tips.”

The guy leaned down and whispered “The executive director will be doing the interview today. He’s young and successful. Rumors had it that he’s a cold hearted bastard. But I believe he’s just lack of love. Be truthful and open with him.”

“Sungmin, are you trying to get me a job or a date?” she let out a merry laughter, breaking her earlier depressing state.

Then before the other guy could reply, a beautiful girl in black dress opened the solid door and announced clearly “The interview will start shortly. Kindly wait until your name being called.”

“I’m nervous” her face paled almost immediately, gulping her invisible nervousness.

“Trust me. You’ll be fine. You were the best in class, and I don’t see why you should feel inferior now” Sungmin gave out a gentle nudge “I have to make my move now. Call me as soon as you finish, okay.”

 

She nodded, smiling softly to her college friend. But her smile faltered as soon as she was left alone with the other candidates in the closed waiting room.

 

An hour later, she was still waiting for her name to be called. She was the last candidate and getting more and more nervous as the clock ticking.

 

“Victoria Song” her name was finally called.   

Victoria quickly stood up and stride forward, towards the directed corridor. She took another deep breath, clutching the cold door knob with thumping heartbeat. She pushed the heavy door in and stepped into the interview room, admiring the exquisite design.

The interviewer was sitting on a huge dark brown leather seat, facing the other way. “Have a seat.” but his smooth voice sound oddly familiar

Victoria took her seat gracefully, pulling herself together, waiting for the real deal. As the mighty interviewer slowly and tantalizing turned his chair around, Victoria could not help herself gasping in disbelief once the young executive director faced her directly. 

Sensing the speechless state Victoria was in; the other offered briefly “We meet again, Victoria Song. I’m Choi Kyuhyun, your interviewer for today.”

Victoria could only reply with a small nod.

“Before we proceed to the nitty gritty, it seems you left this in my car” he bend over to reach something on the floor. Then gently he held the bright red umbrella on his antique desk. 

“My lucky umbrella” Victoria beamed excitedly. Then when she realized he was still in an interview she smiled sheepishly at Kyuhyun and muttered “Sorry.”

And for the first time of the day, a full bloom smile spread on the beautiful stranger’s face as he cheerfully quipped “You know, I think, this is really a lucky umbrella.”

Victoria’s eyes sparkled brightly “I told you so…”