Green-eyed Monster

One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it

 

A thick air of awkwardness filled the room; Victoria seated next to Kyuhyun’s bed, staring at the floor as she tried her best to avoid eye contact with Kyuhyun’s family. She felt as if she was being interrogated over a crime she did not do. It’s all Kyuhyun the evil, doings.

 

“What’s going on?” the oldest man in the room was the first to break the unwelcomed silence. “Is this one of your practical jokes?”

 

Kyuhyun pushed himself up, sits up straight; paused at each of their faces for dramatic effect “Facing death make a man realized how short life is.” Then, he turned towards his partner in crime “There are so many things in life I have not achieved yet.”

 

“You are not answering the question” his grandfather growled.

 

“Dad, calm down. You’ve already on medication. We would not one another family member being admitted in” Kyuhyun’s father reminded the old man.

 

“She’s not wearing any ring” Donghae casually stated, earning him another death stare from his stepbrother.

 

“When did both of you got engaged?” his mother asked instead, looking slightly hurt that his son had kept such secret behind her back.

 

Kyuhyun had taught of a perfect answer and was about to reply to her, but Victoria beats him to it with a deadpan face “Few minutes ago.”

 

“Few minutes ago?” Donghae repeated the statement with a question mark, raising his brows as he speaks. Clearly suspicious over the whole sudden announcement “Isn’t that too hasty?”

 

Kyuhyun bit his lips, silently cursing the girl for deliberately ruining his plan; and hating the other guy for interfering. But he quickly recovered; a tantalizing smile formed on his lips “I love her with all my heart. After facing the near death experience, I’ve realized I want to create my own happiness, having my own family. I just don’t want to regret in the future”

 

“But I…” Victoria tried again but Kyuhyun quickly cuts her off.

 

“It’s okay dear. You don’t have to give me your answer now” he cocked his head to the side, smiling sweetly at his prey “I’ll wait until you’re ready.”

 

Victoria felt chill ran down her spine, knowing well the meaning behind that devilish smile. She sighed and looked around, noting the expectant eyes staring at her, filled with mixed emotions, waiting for her answer “I need some time to think about it” she replied hesitantly, lowering her head in guilt… Guilt for lying to a group of seemingly nice people; guilt for giving in to the evil mastermind and guilt of slaving herself over money.

 

“Sorry to disturb, but I would like to remind that the visiting hour will end in 10 minutes” the pretty face in uniform jerked behind the door with a warm smile. She quickly disappeared seconds later.

 

Everyone lazily rose to their feet but no one makes the first move.

 

The older lady made her way towards Victoria, a gentle smile plastered on her pretty face. Her cold hands reached out and held Victoria’s trembling hands “Dear, I’m sure you’re in a state of shock at this moment, with the accident and his proposal. We all are.” She squeezed Victoria’s fingers lightly, staring directly into her brown orbs “Lets us all pray for Kyuhyun’s quick recovery and then we can discuss about the engagement in detail. I always want a daughter.”

 

Victoria opened but no words come on.

 

“Come over for dinner tomorrow” the old man suddenly announced an invitation.

 

“Grandpa, with that tone, I’m sure she’ll pack her bag and went off on a holiday instead” Donghae stated in a joking manner, winking charmingly at Victoria.

 

Victoria thought it was not a bad idea. Kyuhyun cursed Donghae for giving out the idea.

 

But most of all, the idea of her having dinner with his family caused her heart beats increased 10 fold, with the 101 possibilities of things that can go wrong. The butterflies in her stomach seemed to be dancing happily though.

 

“I’ll bring her back the day the doctor discharged me” he replied “I think that will be the proper way. Besides, Victoria already promised to cook for me.”

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be eating hospital’s food? They will still include in it their bills. I’ll be paying for it” Kyuhyun’s father asked.

 

“The insurance paying for it” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes.

 

“Who do you think paying for their premium?” his father countered with another question.

 

“Honey, stop it” his wife patted him on his shoulder “I’m sure Victoria can cook something healthy for Kyuhyun.”

 

“Umm, I’ll be referring to the hospital’s recommended recipe” Victoria replied hesitantly.

 

“That’s great dear” the woman squeezed Victoria’s hand affectionately “Thank you.”

 

Kyuhyun looked at Victoria and gave her a appreciative smile.

 

“We better make our move now” the older man called, patting his son’s head and made his move to the exit door.

 

“See you tomorrow dear” his mom leaned close and pecks him on his cheeks “Call us if there’s anything.”

 

The grandfather raised his cane and quietly slipped out from the room, with Donghae followed closely behind, nodding to Kyuhyun and Victoria before he exited. Finally, they were alone once again.

 

“Not bad for our first scene” Kyuhyun stated with a grin, slowly sliding down on the bed for a much comfortable position “But you should improve you acting skill a bit. You gave me heart attack with your answer.”

 

“I don’t want to play this game” Victoria said in low voice “Your family seems so loving and caring; I feel bad lying to them.”

 

“Donghae and I are stepbrothers. His mother passed away giving birth to him, and dad marries my mom a year later” Kyuhyun filled in the gaps for Victoria “Donghae was raised by Grandpa until he was 8 years old before he moved in to stay with us.”

 

Victoria was not sure why Kyuhyun was telling her all this, but she quietly listened to him.

 

“Mom loves him as if he’s her own, showering him with all her attention” Kyuhyun added bitterly “He’s good at everything” he looked away and mumbled “And he’s not even trying. He’s everyone’s favorite.”

 

It was the first time she sensed that Kyuhyun was being honest, showing his vulnerability. Sibling rivalry is not something she’s familiar with, but the sense on loneliness in his tone is.

 

“A month ago, Grandpa announced his will. For some weird reason he stated in it; our inheritance will only be legally ours if we got married” he looked up at turned towards Victoria “I find it such stupid rule, but I can’t go against him. But what I’m trying to prove to him is, though I’m single, I can be responsible and reliable just like anyone else.”

 

“If that’s the case, then why do you need a pretense fiancé?” Victoria asked curiously.

 

“Because Donghae already has Yoona” he replied with an unreadable expression.

 

His reply didn’t answer her question, and made her even more confused; but seeing him in such gloomy state, Victoria decided to let it be. They stay in complete silence for few minutes, digesting the situation at hand. Then Victoria got on her feet “I better make my move before the nurse come and chase me out. I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded.

 

“Sorry for the accident” she said, hands clasped on her laps, lowering her head apologetically.

 

“Sorry for making fun of your dream” he said in return “And thank you for today.”

 

His apology took her by surprise, but luckily her brain stopped from ruining the moment. She smile and made her exit quietly, closing the door gently. She then made her way to the mentioned counter and looked for the nurse named Jessica.

 

“I’m here to get the recommended menu for Cho Kyuhyun” she asked politely.

 

“Here you go” she handed a colorful leaflet to Victoria “Just remember to cut down on the salt.”

 

“Thanks” she replied, turning her steps away, heading towards the guest seating area. As expected, Ryeowook was waiting anxiously for your return. Unfortunately, Ryeowook was not the only one waiting for her.

 

“Victoria” Ryeowook jumped off his seat and pulled Victoria close “How is he? Did he press charges?”

 

“Press charges?” Donhae who was listening to Ryeowook remark asked, slowly closing his gap.

 

Ryeowook stared at the stranger in annoyance for such interruption.

 

“I thought you’ve left with your family?” Victoria replied to the guy, signaling Ryeowook to keep quiet.

 

“It’s quite late. They wanted me to send you home” he replied, extended his hand to Ryeowook “I’m Donghae. Kyuhyun’s brother”

 

“Ryeowook” he answered warily.

 

“So, who is pressing charges” Donghae asked bluntly, eyes slitting suspiciously.

 

“No one” Victoria replied, quickly changing the subject “If you’re here, then, how did your family went back?”

 

“They called our driver to pick them up” he answered.

 

“I see… Well, you don’t have to trouble yourself. Ryeowook is here” she replied earnestly “Thank you anyway.”

 

“Sorry but I already promised my mom I’ll see you home safely” Donghae replied stubbornly “Besides, Cinderella should not be going off before midnight.”

 

Victoria pursed her lips tightly “Appreciate if you could stop with the Cinderella jokes.”

 

“Sorry, didn’t mean to tease you. It just… I find it really frustrating and hard to believe that the damsel in distress that I’ve saved turned out to be my brother’s future wife” he stared expectantly at Victoria hoping for a different answer “Will things be different if I’ve met you first?”

 

“Damsel in distress? Future wife?” Ryeowook mumbled to himself.

 

Victoria gave him a pleading look, sending mental notes to her best friend ‘I’ll tell you later.’

 

“It has been a long day” she ignored Donghae provocation “I’ll be going off with my friend.”

 

“I’ll call a cab” Ryeowook quickly react, pulling his hand phone out.

 

“Please let me send both of you back” Donghae insisted, pleading with his puppy eyes “It’s the least I can do for Kyuhyun.”

 

The tone Donghae used when he mentioned his stepbrother was a complete opposite of Kyuhyun’s. Not even once he mentioned that they were stepsiblings. Somehow Victoria felt pity over both of them.

 

She turned to Ryeowook for a sign which he simply replied with a shrug. She turned her attention towards Donghae and finally agreed “Okay. Thank you.”

 

 

*****************