Push and Pull

One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it

 

He took another bite of the slightly stale sandwich, silently regretting for not eating it earlier. Though it was slightly soggy thanks to the salad and its dressing, it was still delicious nevertheless. He didn’t say it out, but he was really happy when he saw Victoria stepped in with bags of packed food for him; deliberately leaving the fact that she was manipulated to do so.  

Wiping the bread crumbs off his hands with the clean napkin, Kyuhyun leaned forward, reaching for a drink handed by Yoona. His eyes fell on her shining wrist watch, squinting his eyes to see clearer “Changmin and Victoria are taking too long.”

Yoona took a closer look at the time, then a quick smile appeared, snickering at Kyuhyun’s statement “I never knew that you’re the jealous type?” she said, playing with her fluffy scarf.

He was a bit taken back by her proclaimed, but he was quick with his answer “I’m not”. The sheets ruffled as he leaned back into a comforting position, pulling the sheets to cover his socked feet “I need my caffeine fix.”

“Yeah right” she did not hold back on the sarcasm, winking at him playfully “She’s sweet. I like her.”

“You should have seen it when she’s angry” Kyuhyun let out a soft chuckle, remembering the office incident “She turned into a witch” a soft smile lingered on his lips. His expression changed seconds later, reaching out for his phone and quickly typed the words down; pressing the send button seconds later “She’s different.”

A soft smile plastered on her lips. She was about to share her own thoughts when Kyuhyun cut her off.

“My first impression of her was that, ‘she’s stupid’, offering her so-called lucky umbrella to total stranger in the middle of nowhere” he was cussing but the tone was different from his usual snark.

“Don’t you think that was sweet?” Yoona asked, unconsciously pulling her chair closer to her friend.

He shook his head but at the corner of his lips a twist of a small smile barely visible “It was a kind gesture, which kinda rare nowadays. But still, her act can lead her into trouble.”

“But that stupid move brought the two of you together” Yoona added in.

Not commenting on it, Kyuhyun continued “But after our second encounter I realized that she’s not stupid. She’s naïve… She has this childish perception that in this world, everyone can make a different if only they don’t give up on their dreams” he paused for a moment “To tell you the truth, the first thing that came into my mind were to crush her ideal world.”

“Why?” a small pout suddenly appeared “That’s so mean.”

“Because in this world, things don’t simply go your way just because you never give up on it” Kyuhyun stated with conviction “The real world is cruel, and I wanted to show her exactly that” his eyes were staring vacantly at the open space “I want her to know that life are filled with empty promises and broken dreams.”

His words were left unchallenged. But after a minute of silence, Yoona asked “Then, did you succeed?”

“I failed miserably” soft chuckle escaped his throat “She may be naïve, but she’s stubborn as hell. Then it hit me hard, I was once like her” the words sound so foreign coming out from his lips, but he meant every single one of it “Without realizing it, I start to open up to her, and in a strange way, I actually need her.”

“I never thought I’ll see you making such face” she giggled at Kyuhyun’s confession “You’re really in love with her aren’t you?” she asked, smiles and all, observing Kyuhyun face carefully as she leaned closer.

“What a silly question” Changmin’s voice interrupted them, stepping into the chilled room carrying the paper tray with one hand like a professional waiter. He handed Kyuhyun and Yoona their drinks before he settled in the empty seat sipping his “They are engaged aren’t they”.

Ignoring Changmin’s sarcastic note and Yoona bickering over it, Kyuhyun’s eyes roamed in search of Victoria “Where’s she?” She came in few moments later, looking rather flustered “Are you okay? Where’s your drink?”

She shook her head “They were out of java chips” her reply was too soft; he noticed that she was avoiding his eyes.

He knew something was off. Though he barely knew Victoria, he knew enough to see through her faked smile and listless eyes. He turned toward Changmin expecting an answer, but the guy was happily sipping his drink, reading his text message; most probably the one he send to him earlier, commanding their immediate return. Changmin looked up from the small screen and returned Kyuhyun’s icy glare.

“Well…” Victoria’s voice broke the staring competition between the guys. “I need to head back now… I have things to sort out” she peeped, pushing herself up, dragging the chair back to its place. Without another word, she quickly packed the food containers into the bag. She was too occupied on it; she didn’t even realize that the sandwich box had been emptied.

Yoona got to her feet, lending a hand to Victoria “You’re leaving? It’s still early.”

“Sorry, I have few things to attend” she quipped, hands moving even faster.

“Just leave the porridge here. I’ll have it later” Kyuhyun interrupted.

“Oh no” her high ponytail swayed as she shook her head violently “It wont taste good. It supposed to be eaten while it’s hot. I’ll make a new one.”

Kyhuhyun was about to reply when Shim Changmin suddenly got onto his feet and declared “I’ll send you off.”

“Please don’t trouble yourself. I’ll be fine on my own” Victoria quickly refused the offer, frowning at the situation.

“I insist” the guy continued to provoked.

“Shim Changmin, I don’t think…” Kyuhyun stop mid sentence when another presence appeared at the door.

“It’s okay. I can send her home” Donghae announced as he stepped into the already crowded place. Clad in his formal attire, Donghae walked in and greeted all “Changmin, Yoona” he gave small nods to both.

Changmin returned the nod, lips pursed into a thin line.

“Oppa” Yoona replied in a quiet voice, hands clasped tight onto her jacket. The air was so thick; a knife can cut through it. Yoona took few steps back, standing close to Kyuhyun’s bedside.

“It’s been awhile” Donghae said, finding his place next to Victoria, sorting the parcel he carried onto the small table. He started to unpack, pulling out a huge thermos “Mom send this to you… Ginseng soup. She said you better finish it off by tomorrow.”

Kyuhyun gave a quiet nod.

“Are you taking all this back?” he asked Victoria, pointing at the packed bags. Receiving the nod from her, he quickly grabbed them. He then turned towards changmin and Yoona “I bet it’s been awhile since the three of you get together. Don’t worry about Victoria, I’ll send her back.”

Kyuhyun wanted to stop him, wanted her to stay. But seeing how upset Yoona was with his presence; and how relieve Victoria looked when he arrived, Kyuhyun felt defeated. his fingers tight, watching the two left the room.

 

**********************

 

The ride was quiet. She was thankful for it. She doubted she can handle it otherwise; and Victoria would really hate herself if she suddenly broke down to tears in front of Donghae.

But after 15 minutes driving into the busy city, Donghae finally broke the silence “Should I be sending you home or you have other place to go?”

She opened , but nothing came out. She shifted her attention from the driver to her cold hands, staring at her chirped nails “I’m not sure.”

Donghae didn’t ask further, driving his way through the traffic. The soft music coming from the radio eased the mood. Five songs later, Donghae parked his car at a busy road side where a small wooden placard was placed, written; ‘Customer of Live and Let Dye’ “We are here” he announced proudly.

Victoria stepped out of the car and stared at the three story glass building “Where are we?”

“My best friendworkplace. Well, technically, he owns the place” Donghae locked the car and signaled Victoria to tag along “I saw my grey hairs are popping out. Need to do something about it” Donghae touched a spot his head and pouted.

Victoria finally smiled.

As soon as they stepped in, the worker quickly greeted them “Donghae-ssi, welcome…”

“It’s been awhile” a girl dressed in black uniform greeted, winking playfully.

“I’ll get Hyukkie for you” another girl offered.

“It’s okay. I would like to surprise him. Is he with a customer?” Donghae asked, looking around the floor for the familiar face.

“No, no… He’s in the training room. Preparing for tonight’s class” the girl replied, giving a small bow to Victoria.

“Thanks dear” he winked before pulling Victoria’s hand, leading her to the staircase.

She wanted to pull away. Her brain tells her to do so. But somehow she never did, letting the older man lead the way.

Just like the first floor, the second floor was filled with stylists attending their customers. A small sign written ‘Treat or not to treat’ hung at a section with lines of foreign machines arranged neatly. And just like earlier, the guys in uniform greeted Donghae.

“Are you the co-owner of this place?” Victoria asked jokingly.

“Only if I'm married to him” he replied with a wink, climbing the last fleet of stairs. They were slightly panting when Donghae pushed the glass door open, screaming on top of his lungs “Hyukkie” his voiced echoed in the spacious room.

A faint voice replied “Omo. Donghae?” then the owner of the voice made his entrance. Clad in the same set of uniform, a tall milky skin guy stepped in front of them. His vibrant red hair brightens his sharp features, flashing his gummy smile. He pulled Donghae into a tight embrace, patting his back “You son of a , you’ve been ignoring me for months. I was getting worried.”

“I was busy... Sorry” he sheepishly replied, rubbing his nape as soon as they broke their embrace “I managed to seal another project and I was too caught up with it.”

“So... it has nothing to do with the breakup rumor that I heard” he asked with a much serious tone, but he stopped proding as soon as he noticed Victoria; who was standing quietly not far from them “Sorry, I didn’t know that you brought a guest” he kinda pushed Donghae away, striding confidently towards Victoria “And who is this pretty lady might be?”

“Hi, I’m Victoria” she extended her hand but to her astonishment, the guy took it and kiss the back of her hand as if it’s the most natural thing to do.

Donghae came rushing in, slapped him hard on his back “Stop scaring her. She’s a friend.”

A friend sounds good.

“I’m Eunhyuk. But you can call me Hyukkie” he introduced himself with a bright smile, winking playfully as he slides his arms around her and lead her to the empty chair, talking to her reflection now “What can I do for you? A little highlight? Or a trim?”

“Oh no, not me” she moved along with the spinning chair, rejected the idea profusely.

“I need a trim and maybe highlights. Grey hairs starting to appear” Donghae leaned closer to the mirror in front of then, parting his hair worriedly.”

“I’ll get one of my senior stylist do it for you” Hyukkie replied, uninterested with his best friend’s request. Then, to her surprise, he pulled off Victoria’s rubber band which was holding her ponytail tight “But you my dear, will be getting a full make over from me.”

“But I…” Victoria twisted the chair facing Donghae; pleading for his help.

“It’s on the house. A little gift to commemorate our new friendship” Hyukkie straightened the chair, hands playing with Victoria’s strands, inpecting the ends. His eyes brighten as he speaks “Your hair is gorgeous. But with this length it’s going to be hard to style. I’ll trim it a bit and we’ll go slight lighter to bring up the color of your beautiful eyes.”

She was dumbfounded. But seeing Donghae’s assuring smile at her side, she finally gave in.

“By the way, why are you not working today?” Hyukkie asked his best friend.

“I took the day off” Donghae took the empty seat next to her, playfully twisted it right and left.

“You” Hyukkie exclaimed aloud, making an expression of a drama queen.

The three of them fell into a merry laughter, echoed in the empty the room.

 

************************

 

 “Sorry I had to leave you with Hyukkie just now” the first thing he said once they were in the car once again, driving through the dark road “There were some urgent matter suddenly arise” he added apologetically.

“No worries, by the time my hair done, it was almost half a day gone” she laughed at the experience. Sure she had been to hair salon before, but usually just for a trim. It was her first time getting a full course hair pampering, highlight and hair treatment. She even joined the styling class the salon organized for their trainees “Hyukkie taught me a lot of things.”

“That’s great” a soft smile graced his lips “By the way, you look great.”

Her luscious golden brown hair been trimmed, now only few inches past her shoulder with streaks of visible new highlights “Thanks. It feels lighter too.”

He nodded, beautiful smile graced his thin lips. Then her added “I'm sorry I could not take you out for a proper meal” Donghae apologized again, looking regretful of his short-lived day-off “Would you like to have dinner with me before I sent you home?”

“Maybe some other time. It has been a long day and I’m a bit tired” she lied. The truth was, Ryeowook and Sungmin had been texting her asking whereabouts for unknown reason. She had a bad feeling about it.

“Sure” he replied with a weak nod.

They continued making small conversations, mostly about how he met Hyukkie and how they became inseparable ever since. Though her curiosity was running high, tempted to ask about Yoona , she did not divulge on it. Same goes for him, not even once Kyuhyun’s name was mention; acted as if the hospital incident never happened.

Half an hour later, Donghae pulled his car into a halt in front of the same entrance he left the night before.

Victoria was the first to make a move “Thanks for today. I…” lots of different and better phrases ran through her mind, but she ended up with the lamest “I owe you one.”

Donghae laughed at it and extended his hand to her “I know we started on the wrong foot, but I believe that can be changed. Friends?”

“Friends” she took his hand without any hint of hesitation, and that’s how they sealed their newfound friendship.

For the first time in the week, she finally felt at ease, maybe even happy; was smiling to herself as she rode the elevator to the 13th floor. The silly smile was still tainted her lips when she put in her house key and gave it a turn, slowly pushing the door open. She was still grinning when she saw Sungmin sitting in the living hall but her beautiful smile faltered almost immediately when she saw the other guess sitting in front of him “What are you doing here?” the door slammed behind her.

“You’re late” he greeted with his signature scoff “What have you done to your hair?”

“Why is he here?” Victoria instantly turned towards Sungmin, her voice pitched an octave, finger pointing violently at the other guess sitting crossed leg on her fav couch.

“I ran off from the hospital. Sungmin helped me with my escape” Kyuhyun replied as he stood up and took a strand oh her hair “I prefer the previous color.”

“You’ll get use to it” she snapped and turned towards the guy clad in oversize jacket, obviously belong to Sungmin. Kyuhyun raised both hands in an act of surrendering and returned to his seat.

“I was force to. He threaten to hold back my  salary increment if I didn’t help him sneak out to see you” Sungmin answered.

“He doesn’t have the authority to hold back on your increment” Victoria wrapped her arms around her chest, staring accusingly at Kyuhyun.

“He can pull some strings” Sungmin replied guiltily.

“I can pull some strings” Kyuhyun repeated the words happily, winking at it.

“Why are you here?” Victoria asked once again, voice cold and hostile “Where’s Wookie?”

“He went to the convenience store to get some beers. I’m here for your homemade dinner. You promised you’ll make me a new batch of porridge” he replied nonchalantly.

“I will not cook dinner for you. The agreement was only for breakfast” she replied stubbornly.

“As I remember clearly, there was no mentioned of a specific time of the day. The agreement was that you’ll cook for me during my hospitalization. I’m here as parts of the agreement” his smile was devilish.

“I shall not move from this spot” Victoria settled next to Sungmin, staring straight at Kyuhyun, exchanging icy glares.

“Then I shall not return to the hospital tonight. Ryeowook-ssi bed looks very much comfortable” he quipped happily.

“Ya! Why do you want to sleep in his bed?” her voice raised again.

“Are you saying I should sleep in your room instead? I didn’t know that you’re that bold” he teased, seemed to enjoy their bickering session too much.

“Fine, I’ll cook for you” she snapped and got up to her feet.

“Cook some for me too” Sungmin pleaded with his award winning puppy eyes.

She gave him her murderous look instead. But then her eyes fell onto a beautiful box on the table “What’s that?” she asked suspiciously.

“Premium Chocolates from Donghae” Kyuhyun replied with a snort. He then pulled a small card from his pocket and read it out “With a note written ‘Sorry for last night’”. Victoria snatched the card from his fingers and read it quietly “What he did last night?” he asked with a tone much serious than before.

“None of your concern” she answered, slipping in the card into her pocket “Where’s the chocolate?”

“Sungmin and I finished it all. We were hungry and you were taking too long” Kyuhyun replied with a feigned innocence.

“Ya~” she shouted at both of them.

“I only had one piece” Sungmin replied.

“I’ll buy you new one. I’m the fiancé, remember” Kyuhyun announced wickedly. Sungmin gasped aloud at the announcement. Victoria could not tell whether Kyuhyun was jealous or pure evil “Besides, it’s not like he choose it himself. Yuri is the one who does all his dirty work.”

“Just like Luna I guess” she snapped once again, but guilt seeped in immediately when she realized she should not had said such thing about the girl she barely knew. Taking a deep breath, she decided to play along “What would you like in your porridge.”

“Chicken and mushroom… I brought my mom’s ginseng as well. Maybe you can add some of it. I can’t finish it by myself” he smiled widely. Victoria sighed and nodded. But as she about to walk away, Kyuhyun held a small paper cup for her “This is for you.”

She took it hesitantly. Once opened, she took out a cup of a familiar drink… Java chips mocha frap.

“It may not taste as good though” he added "Your fault for staying out so late."

He was right, it taste bad; but Victoria drank it with a smile, walking towards her kitchen.

 

 

*********************************

A much longer fchapter for all, especially for dearest vicqian~

ENJOY

 

Please share your thoughts on this ya~