Ghost from the past

One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it

 

Sitting next to the girl called Yoona, Victoria finally understood the difference between a celebrity and a nobody; herself to be exact. Stealing glances at the idol, Victoria could not help it, gawking at the perfectly manicured nails with glittering nail arts, the Tiffany’s charms bracelet dangling around her delicate wrist, the star-shaped diamond earrings or the effortlessly cute hair style twirled to perfection.

Victoria felt so insignificant being next to her; slightly chirped nails thanks to cooking and scrubbing dishes early in the morning, the silver wrist watch which she had always love but suddenly felt out of fashion, her cat-shaped wooden earring seemed to lost it charms compared to the shining diamond, and everything toppled with Victoria unkempt ponytail.

Victoria had always been praised for her exquisite beauty, her bubbly personality and her vibrant outlook towards life. But at that very moment, all those praises flew out of the window.

Yoona and Kyuhyun animated chatter was not helping either, conversing about things she has no idea of, feeling like an outcast not being able to join the conversation, not that she tried.

“Earth to Victoria” a faint voice interrupted her trail of thoughts, fidgeting in her spot, Victoria slowly lifted her gaze from her slightly abused sneakers. Khyuhyun was waving his opened palm in front of her “You’re day dreaming again” he scoffed, hands reaching out for a glass of water, which Yoona was quick to attend.

“Is something wrong?” Yoona asked while pouring the plain water for Kyuhyun, looking so much like the perfect wife “You don’t look so good.”

“Yoona, that’s rude” Kyuhyun teased, taking the plastic cup, sipping the liquid slowly. Victoria felt another weird sting in her heart.

Yoona playfully hit him at his arm. “That’s not what I mean” she pouted cutely.

Victoria grimaced ‘I would hit him harder.’ Trying hard to act natural, she quipped “I guess I’m just a bit sleepy.”

“Ooo” Yoona returns to her seat, reaching out to Victoria. She placed her cold palm on Victoria’s arm as if it’s the natural thing to do. She was sweet, she was attentive, and she was perfect. Victoria felt nauseated “You woke up early to cook, didn’t you?”

Busted…

She shrugged it off, acting as if it’s not a big deal “I love to cook.”

“And you’re good at it” Yoona gave out her mega-watts smile “The sandwich was so delicious, match made in heaven with the wild mushroom soup you’ve made. Please remind me to get the recipe later” she tilted her head, smiling earnestly at Victoria. She then turned towards Kyuhyun “You really should try some.”

“I will” he replied defensively. “It just that, I’m too full at this moment” he added, rubbing his stomach to emphasize his point; trying to look cute “It’s your fault for buying all those sandwiches earlier.”

It’s not working…But, being a sensible person that she is, Victoria faked a smile instead “No worries. I’ll just leave these here. But I have to bring back the porridge; it might not be edible anymore.”

“Oh I’m sure it’s still okay” Yoona tried to convince.

“Not that” Victoria shook her head “It just doesn’t taste good eating cold.” Yoona’s glossy lips parted, but Victoria quickly added before her “I’ll just make a new batch tomorrow.”

“I might be discharged tomorrow” Kyuhyun answered, pulling his blanket higher. “I don’t think there’s any complication. It just a small bump” his fingers linger on the white cloth securely wrapping the bump “Itchy as hell, though.”

“You’re such a cry baby” Yoona teased. She then turned her attention to Victoria and asked “By the way, how did the two of you met?”

“Under the pouring rain” Khyuhyun replied with a crooked smile, tainted with hidden meaning “She offered me her lucky umbrella.”  

“How sweet” Yoona cooed dreamily “It sounds like a romantic drama ~ anxiously waiting for the rain to stop. Then your destined love comes, offering comfort.”

Sheesh. It’s more like a horror movie… Her eyes hurt, just by trying not to roll it. Victoria offered another faked smile.

“The lucky umbrella really worked then. Cause the two of you found each other” Yoona added, bouncing happily in her seat.

I’m going to throw that umbrella…

“How about the two of you” Victoria was quick, changing the topic as she could not fake another smile anymore “How the two of you met and become friends?”

“It was years ago. We met at a Math Decathlon held at my school” she happily complied to the request, her body turned towards Victoria. “I was from an all girls private school. I’m sure you can imagine how excited all the girls were when we found out that our school will be hosting the match.”     

Victoria nodded even though she can’t really understand the fuss of it. She was from a co-ed school after all; hangout with Ryeowook and Sungmin hardly can be called an event.  

“She was a bench warmer” Kyuhyun added with a smirk.

Rolling her eyes in annoyance, Yoona continued “Yeah, yeah. I was, not as smart as Changmin and you. They were one of the participants.”

“Finalist” an arrogantly voice from behind corrected her.

The deep voice was awfully familiar, send chills down Victoria’s spine. She slowly turned around and saw the guy called Changmin leisurely leaned on the door frame as if it’s some photoshoot. Clad in white shirt and checkered vest, he did look like a pin-up guys. In an instant, all the bad memories of their encounter flashed in front of her eyes. Luck had abandoned her.

“Changmin” Yoona excitedly jumped of her seat and threw herself at the guy “How are you?”

“Better than Kyuhyun” he gently ruffled her honey brown hair. He kissed her cheeks but followed with a frown “Have you been drinking again?” he asked, sounding genuinely worried. Just like Kyuhyun, Victoria could tell that Changmin really care for Yoona. His eyes were kind, with such gentle gaze.

“I’m old enough to drink” a pout appeared; Yoona pushed his hands away, returning to her seat “Have you met Victoria, Kyuhyun’s fiancée” she quickly diverted the attention away from herself. The topic Victoria dreaded the most.

If he was surprise at the announcement, he definitely hides it well. Kyuhyun and Changmin seemed to exchange a moment of silent, before he turned towards Victoria“Of course I have” he answered, giving a small nod “It’s been awhile.”

Playing along, Victoria returned his greet with a weak smile “Hope you’re doing well.”

“Beside the blue black scratch on my right shin… everything is great” he answered with a smug, pulling a chair closer to Kyuhyun. His eyes never left Victoria’s crimson face.

“What happened to your shin? Got injured at the gym?” Kyuhyun asked, checking the paper bag given by Changmin “Hey, where’s the new Forbes magazine I asked?”

“They don’t sell it downstairs” he replied, crossing his long legs.

“A fight with your girlfriend?” Yoona guessed instead.

“He doesn’t have a girlfriend” Kyuhyun was quick to reply, taking out one of the magazines and flipped it leisurely “No one official that is.”

“True” Changmin nodded. It’s amazing how not a single strand of his perfectly styled hair were out of place “No one was worthwhile to that extend” Changmin admitted openly. He paused for a few seconds before delivering his punch line “I had a fight with someone’s fiancé.”

Victoria was badly hit by it. Kyuhyun’s stopped in the middle of his reading, staring directly at his best friend; eyes were cold and suspicious.

Seeing that he caught his peer’s attention, Changmin continued “In my defense, I didn’t know that she was already taken.”

“Since now you know, better stay away” Yoona advised earnestly.

“But she’s exactly my type. Feisty” he chuckled to himself, bending over to rub his shin “It’s not like they are married.”

The statement was left unchallenged. It was awkward and tensed.

 Lucky for them Victoria hated such situation the most; she will try anything to change the mood “Yoona, please continue with your story.”

The idol blinked a few moments longer before replying “Ahh, our story” she gave Victoria a grateful smile, quickly adding in “On the last day of the competition, an unexpected scene happened just an hour before the final round” she paused for some dramatic effects “All three of us got into a small fight. Not with each other of course.”

“You called that small” Kyuhyun scoffed “I had bruised lips for couple of weeks.”

“My jaw never felt the same anymore” Changmin added, moving his jaw as he speaks.

“Eh, what happened?” Victoria asked, glad that the two guys finally chipped in.

“There were some guys trying to make a move on me. I was not interested but he kept on pursuing” her cute face was frowning “Kyuhyun and Changmin who were nearby tried to stop him but he refused to let go. The guy suddenly called few of his friends for a fight. It ended quite badly.”

“We were disqualified” Changmin snorted.

“I was grounded” Kyuhyun added nonchalantly.

“Sorry” Yoona flashed her pearly whites, tilting her head for extra ‘aegyo’. “But thanks to the incident, we became great friends. Inseparable.”

“Until she started dating Donghae” Changmin sharp tongue surprised everyone. Kyuhyun was throwing icy glares towards him for stepping on forbidden area. Yoona was fidgeting in her seat.

He ruined it again…

“I used to date him” Yoona corrected the statement, after few seconds of silence “We broke up few months ago.”

“Why?” Kyuhyun asked, anticipating an answer “Did he cheat on you?”

Victoria did not move a muscle. Not knowing how to react.

Yoona let out a forced chuckle “He’s too busy to cheat. Unless it’s with his secretary” she gave a weak smile and continued “We just wanted different things. I guess we fall out of love.”

Again, that awkward silence filled the gap. Victoria waited for almost a minute before she got onto her feet “I think I need my caffeine fix. Any drinks for you guys? There’s Star Buck at the lobby.”

“Hot cappuccino” Kyuhyun quickly ordered.

“Green tea frap for me. Small, without whipped cream” Yoona reached for Victoria’s hand and gave it a squeezed. She was once again thankful having Victoria around.

Victoria gave a small nod. But to her dismay, the trouble maker stood as well “I’ll help you with the drinks.”

“It’s okay. I can make it on my own. They have that paper tray” her fingers drew in the air.

In split seconds, Changmin strode to her side and circled his long arm around her shoulder, pulling her towards the door “I insist.”

With heavy steps, Victoria tag along only to be stopped by Kyuhyun’s voice “Changmin, get your own drink” Both Victoria and Changmin turned around towards the guy resting on the bed “I don’t like to share.”

Changmin simply smirked at it, leading Victoria out from the room without another word. As soon as she stepped out of the room, Victoria quickened her steps towards the elevator, leaving Changmin not so far behind. “So, you’re the fiancé” he stated as soon as he reached Victoria’s side. She was busy pressing the going down button repeatedly “What happened to the arrogant statement about not all girls can be bought?”

She ignored him. Silently thanking the elevator for opening its door at the right time. They waited for the passenger to come out before stepping into the empty space. Victoria took a step back, leaning on the glass wall as soon after she pressed the desired floor’s button. For the first time in her life, she wished for the elevator to stop at any other floor, picking up other patrons. She was out of luck.

“Before you start thinking ahead, I would like to get few things clear” Changmin shifted his weight as he leaned back “All those things I said in the room were just an act. I’m not interested in you.”

“Glad to know that” Victoria chewed her lips as soon as those words came out. Once again, proven to be faster than her brain.

“Nothing personal” he added conceitedly “I just have higher taste.”

Victoria fingers clutched into a tight fist, nails painfully dug into her flesh “Why do you keep on bothering me? Why do you hate me?”

“I don’t hate you. I don’t even know you” his lips twisted upward into a broken smile “But one thing I know, Yoona and Kyuhyun belong together.” he paused a few seconds and added “Donghae was a mistake…My mistake.”

Victoria was lost. Though Changmin’s words were absurd and ridiculous, Victoria sensed that he meant every single word.

“But you know what, now I can fix it” his eyes were darting into her soul “But I can’t do it, with you in the picture.”

    

 

******************************************

First of all, sorry for the delay. RL been hectic~

Second, sorry, if Changtoria moments were not as you guys picture it will be.

They seems to start  on the wrong feet. But not to worry,

things will get better somehow.