Wheel of Fortune

One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it

 

“I’m taking a short break” Yesung suddenly announced, taking off his white apron and carefully hung it behind the metal door.

“Smoking break?” Ryeowook who was the only one in the kitchen with him asked; hands busy cutting the toasted bagel in half “Don’t get caught by Siwon-hyung. You already got two strikes from him” Ryeowook reminded earnestly.

“Hmm” the older guy replied nonchalantly, couldn’t care less about the trikes; pushing the heavy metal door ajar. The door creaked open but only for few seconds before Yesung pulled it shut; frowning at the sight he just witnessed. “Wookie…” he hesitantly called, standing still in his spot.

Ryeowook rolled his eyes at the nickname, hating Victoria for revealing it to his colleagues. “What?” he continued with his task; concentrating on placing a slice of cheese on top of the cold meat slices before topping it with mustards and bread.

“I think your girlfriend is waiting outside” Yesung scratched his head cutely, pleading for some attention from the younger guy.

Ryeowook rang the bell, calling for the waitress to pick up the sandwich for the customer. A pretty girl in a high ponytail, dressed in their café’s uniform bobbed into the kitchen and dashed out with the toasted bagel. He then turned around to Yesung and pouted at his insensitivity, tapping his foot expressively “I don’t have a girlfriend.”

Yesung shook his head and pointed at the closed door “It’s the girl that Siwon-ssi been eyeing. Your childhood’s friend...”

“Victoria?” Ryeowook raised his brows curiously; taking off the transparent gloves off his hands before wiping it dry with the kitchen towel “Hyung, I’m sure I’ve introduced her to you ages ago. You can call her Victoria” he shook his head at his hyung’s choice of words to describe Victoria “But why is she using the back door?”

“She looks kinda different though” Yesung warned as soon as Ryeowook clasped the door knob “A bit distraught… Kinda scary.”

Ryeowook froze for a moment as his mind worked on potential scenarios that can caused such scene, then he turned towards his friend and winked “Hyung, can you make your signature hot chocolate chip drink. I think she may need some of you healing concoction.”

The guy blinked for few seconds before he nodded silently, retrieving his steps and put on his apron once again without a single complaint for not being to go for a quick puff.

“Victoria” Ryeowook called cautiously as he pushed the door open, peeking behind it, eyes scanning the lonely alley for his friend. Then his line of sight caught a familiar statuesque pacing back and forth; barefooted. A glittering pumps dangling from her hands. “Normal people wear those on their feet, not their hands” he greeted her with a curious stare, noticing the make-up mess on her beautiful face.

Victoria jumped slightly, startled by the sudden greet. But her lips quickly curved into a smile seeing her good friend “It hurting my feet. It’s too high for me.”

“You’re too tall already. You don’t need any fancy heels for that” Ryeowook pulled her wrist and dragged her his way “You are lovely as you are.”

A tear threaten to drop again; Victoria forced a smile instead “Thanks Wookie.”

“Let’s get you clean up” he pulled the back door open, sweet heavenly smell of Yesung’s signature drink seeping in “Siwon-ssi went off for lunch, and then he’ll be dropping by to buy some groceries. I got enough time to hear your story.”

Half an hour ago she promised herself not to cry over her lousy day. But she finally gave up as heavy tears streamed down her face “I had such a bad day today.”

 

********************

 

“I need both of you to move in the main house by the end of the week” the old man announced with a straight face as soon as the waitress placed the dessert in place.

Kyuhyun was the first to object, voice slightly strained as he answered to his father “You got to be joking. “

“Do you see me laughing?” he blatantly challenged his son with his cold stare. He then took another spoonful on the Crème-Brule, enjoying the dessert without any expression.  

“But why?” Donghae’s turn to ask, calmly sipping his hot coffee “It’s not like we don’t visit” he added.

“Though it’s rare, I have to agree with Hae on this” Kyuhyun deliberately dropped the honorific to annoy his father. Donghae never care over such petty things but the same can’t be said for their father. Unfortunately for Kyuhyun, the old man was too caught up with the issue at hand to bother over trivial matter.

“Both of you only visit once a month. And that is only when I ordered you too“he answered dryly. Then in dramatized tone, he added “Your grandfather will be staying with us, this weekend onwards” knowing the statement will garner the reactions he wanted from his sons.

And as expected, the two responded in unison “Huh? You can’t be real.”

“He just wants to make sure the two of you abide to the rules of his wills he announced last month” he placed the dessert spoon down and pushed the empty plate aside before he moved on for his black coffee. “I expected both of you at settle in at home by Sunday.”

Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around his chest in protest “It such a stupid rule. I don’t see why my love life should be the measure of my fortune.”

“Yeah. I don’t see the logic in it either. Whether we are single or married should not become an issue over our inheritance” Donghae confront with a deep frown “Besides, aren’t we too old be dictated over our love life?”

“Well, your grandfather is an old man. And during his time, the institution of marriage means everything. But, I can’t help but agree that marriage may shape your future as it will teach both of you some responsible” the old man preached, though he knew well that his sons were too busy working on a way out instead.

“It’s still a stupid rule” Kyuhyun scoffed to himself, biting his lips.

Donghae did not utter a single word, knowing too well his father’s style. But just like Kyuhyun. He opposed to the idea. Honestly, he had successfully made a fortune by himself and couldn’t be bothered over the inheritance.

“I don’t really see a problem” the older man answered as he raised his hand for the waitress, signaling for the bill “I’m sure one of your many girlfriends will be ecstatic if you offer them your marriage proposal” he snickered at Kyuhyun before he turned his attention to his other son “And as for you Donghae, I believe it’s about time you and Yoona tie the knot.”

The statement left the two step brothers awkwardly quiet.

 

***************

 

“What a pleasant surprise. You look good in the uniform” Siwon happily praising Victoria who was seated at a corner of the kitchen, sipping her 3rd mug of Yesung’s delicious brew. She had a good clean-up and one of the baristas lends her the café’s t-shirt. Siwon carefully placed the bags of groceries on the kitchen island before turning his attention towards Victoria once again “So, have you changed your mind about my offer?”

Ryeowook quickly attended the stuffs his boss bought, sorting the rations carefully. He gave Victoria an encouraging smile; happy to see his friend in a better mood now.

Victoria gave the tall handsome guy her most sincere smile “I would love too, but then it means I have to let go of my dreams. I can’t do that, right?”

It was the first time Victoria replied him in such tone and Siwon quickly sense the honesty in her answer. He nodded in acknowledgement “Yes, dreams should be put on a pedestal, high enough so no one can take it away from you.” His eyes glimmered knowingly, reminisced the challenges he had to face to open the little café himself.

“You are right” her lips curled into a half smile “You have reached yours by opening this great place and I have nothing but utmost respect for you in doing so. I just hope I’ll have enough strength to stand on my feet in pursuing mine” she answered in a softer voice, slightly hesitating.

 “Hey, don’t worry. You’ll do just great” Siwon stood next to her and squeezed her shoulder lightly “Just be yourself.”

Her lips curved upward into the most beautiful full blown smile “Thanks. I just realized today how many great friends I have.”

“And we can even be more than that” he winked playfully, caressing her tense shoulder attentively.

“I’m sure you can” a foreign voice suddenly interjected their conversation.

Victoria looked up and saw a pretty woman clad in summery yellow dress with a matching peep-toe heels. Unfortunately her scary glare was as cold as winter. Victoria got chill just by watching her fuming in silent; hands at her waist.

“Sooyoung... What are you doing here” Siwon asked, unable to hide his discomfort over her presence.

“Sorry Siwon-ssi, I tried to stop…” one of the girls stammered nervously before Yesung took her away.

In split seconds, Ryeowook reached for Victoria and pulled her from her chair “I think it would be best if you make your escape now.”

Before Victoria could ask further, a high pitch voice filled the small kitchen, pointing angrily at her “Who is she?”

“It’s none of your business” Siwon answered provocatively.

“She’s my friend” Ryeowook bravely replied instead, putting himself in front as Victoria’s human shield. He quickly pushed Victoria out through the back door “My shift finish in half an hour. Wait for me in the park.” He threw the glittering heels in a paperback and shoved it at Victoria before he added “I may be slight late if ‘She’ makes a scene though.”

Ryeowook closed the door immediately, but not fast enough from Victoria keen eyes, as a bag of flour flew over the counter, covering the whole room in white powder, her voice echoed at the back ‘How could you flirt with someone else when you already have me’

Victoria swallowed nervously, quickening her steps exiting the alley; sighing at how crazy her day had been.

The park was about 15minutes distance from the café. It had a jogging track around the small lake, defined by the shady trees. A well build colorful playground for the community were located exactly next to Victoria’s favorite spot; tortoise feeding spot.  She had a wide smile as soon as she stepped into the greenery, admiring the beautiful sight, inhaling the cool clear air; calming her anxiety. The giggling sounds from the group of kids made her heart warmed up, smiling at the playful innocent souls. How she wished she could stay in as a girl forever; not caring about others opinions or judgments. Living her days by her own rules.

 

***************

 

“I’m too old to be ordered around” Kyuhyun coldly spoke into his hands free mouth-piece, maneuvered his sporty car skillfully.

“It’s just for awhile. Until your grandfather return to his hometown” the caller from the other side insisted “Besides, I miss you so much.”

“Mom, I visited you every month. And we even had our lunch date from time to time” he replied, trying his best not to show his annoyance. His mother was everything to him, but he still refused to give in to the request; cherished his freedom too much. And he definitely won’t tolerate to his grandfather’s absurd rules.

“But if you and your Hae oppa come back…” she was about to say when her words trailed off at Kyuhyun’s interruption.

“Mom, I don’t want to talk about this now” he replied “I have enough things at work to deal with. I just don’t have time for this nonsense. I hope you can convince dad on it. And I don’t … ” he screamed on top of his lungs, hands gripped on the steering wheel, directing the car to the side as he tried to dodge a lady clad in green t-shirt, picking a ball in the middle of the road. The car spun uncontrollably before he run over the road divider, crashing into the stubby bushes lining the quiet park. Luckily he was safely strapped in, and the safety features in expensive sport care were always trustworthy. Except for the small hit on window pane, Kyuhyun was safe without a scratch.

But, he was still in the state of shock when someone pulled his door open forcefully “Are you okay?”

He turned around and blinked hard at the woman that almost caused him his life. In the state of stress, his brain took a while longer to match the face with a name. But, at the moment of revelation he shouted “You! Are you trying to kill me…” That was his last words he said before he passed out.  

Leaving Victoria in frantic, crying for help.

 

*************************

 

~ Sorry for the delay :) Hope you guys enjoy the chapter as much as I did working on it.

~ Do accept my apology for the lack of Kyutoria, Changtoria and Haetoria in this chapter. But I promise there will be more ints in the next chppie~

STAY TUNE~

~And a little shout-out to Nooninny and Mignightdreamz for voting this fic. THANKS~