The fateful day

One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it

“Kyuhyun was the guy that gave you lifts earlier?” Sungmin asked in a secretive hush, but in complete bewilderment, tugging Victoria’s sleeves tightly as he pulled her into the vacant elevator “Simply because you share your umbrella with him?” he added skeptically, pushing the 4th floor button.

 

Victoria rolled her eyes in annoyance, refused to repeat the statement for the third time “It was pouring cats and dogs. He's such a genteman”

 

“Our Cho Kyuhyun?” Sungmin shook his head and crossed his arms before leaning back on the velvety elevator wall “That’s so out of his character.”

 

“I’m sure you are exaggerating” Victoria hissed, flipping her hair in a sign of protest “He seems like such a nice boss. And in case you were wondering, the interview went well.”

 

“Well, there have been many rumors of him” Sungmin said in such dramatic voice, sending creeps to his friend “He’s…”

 

His words were trailed off when the elevator door opened, revealing an extraordinarily handsome man clad in crisp white shirt and navy blue vest that clung to his muscular form, waiting to enter “Oh hello there.”

 

Sungmin quickly greeted the handsome stranger with a respectful nod, hands moved towards Victoria signaling her to take a step back “Good morning. Here for a board meeting?”

 

“Nope. Here for a lunch date” he replied easily.

 

Victoria could not help it but staring, wondering why the beautiful stranger looks so familiar “Have we met before” unfortunately her tongue was faster than her brain. She turned crimson red when she realized what she had done as soon as Sungmin’s feet landed on hers.

 

But the guy didn’t flinch at all, smiling earnestly to her “I don’t think so. I’m sure I’ll remember someone as beautiful as you.”

 

“Sorry” Victoria stammered, feeling the heat creeping on his cheeks as she tried to find something witty for a comeback.

 

But before she could utter another word, the guy asked instead “Are you new here?”

 

Seeing how flustered Victoria was, Sungmin quickly interfered “She’s here for an interview.”

 

“Oh really?” he flashed his dazzling smile, making Victoria’s heart beats even faster. “What post are you applying?”

 

Again, Sungmin was quick to reply on her behalf “Executive designer.”

 

“Great. All the best then” he added before the door finally open again. Victoria and Sungmin stepped out from the confined place eagerly, and exchanged nods before the elevator door close again.

 

“I can’t believe you went into your high-school-girl-mode in front of Shim Changmin” Sungmin whined, pulling Victoria towards the cafeteria, ignoring the curious stares other were giving them.

 

“I did not” she pouted defensively “He was really familiar. Who is he, by the way?”

 

“He’s Shim Changmin, our Non-Executive Director” her friend filled in as he waved his hand to a familiar face.

 

“But he looks so young” Victoria quipped, taking the white tray from her friend.

 

“He is. He’s not even thirty yet” Sungmin added, smiling happily as he observed the colorful desert selection. “His father own one of the largest pharmaceutical company and he’s the acting vice president. I guess he is so credible, they elected him as our new NED.”

 

“Oh I want that slice” she pointed at the smaller size strawberry shortcake.

 

“It doesn’t make any much different. It’s still the same amount of calories” Sungmin rolled his eyes as he picked the cake Victoria wanted “Anyway, he’s also a close friend with Cho Kyuhyun; I wonder why.”

 

“Sungmin, do you have a thing for Cho Kyuhyun? You’ve been bringing up his name a lot” Victoria asked jokingly, patting Sungmin on his shoulder. But then she saw her friend’s eyes bulged in despair, cheeks flaming red; she knew she was in deep .

 

“I hope not” a familiar voice interrupted from behind.

 

After few encounters, Victoria already able to match the voice to a name, and she wished the floor could just eat her up at that very moment. She slowly turned around and saw the devil himself standing behind her with his dark suit nicely folded on one arm. Victoria felt her world crumbled “Kyuhyun-ssi.”

 

“I have nothing against you and you’re actually cute; but I’m currently straight and I doubt I’ll be swinging the other way anytime soon” he replied with a devilish smug “No offense.”

 

“None taken” Sungmin managed to reply; fingers instantly went towards Victoria, pinching her arms without restrain.

 

“Ouch” a painful yelped escaped . And in reflect, Victoria not only yelped; she flailed her arms in the air, accidently hitting Sungmin’s tray. Seconds later, Victoria and Sungmin watched in horror as the piece of chocolate cake on his tray flew in the air and landed perfectly on Kyuhyun’s expensive suit.

 

“” was the only word that came out; loud and clear. As the whole cafeteria went on a torturous silence, eyes darted through her, Victoria silently pray someone would wake her up from that awful nightmare.

 

Sungmin was dumbfounded. Kyuhyun was incomprehensible. Victoria was in state of shock, slowly realizing her dreams to be working in the company crashed into million pieces.

 

Little did she realize, curious eyes were observing the scene from afar. Shim Changmin leisurely leaning on the entrance door frame, arms wrapped around him broad shoulder with an unreadable smile plastered on his handsome face.

 

 

****************

 

 

“So, are you going to keep me in the dark?” Changmin asked, as soon as Kyuhyun exited the building, heading back to the office from their favorite sushi restaurant.  

 

Kyuhyun smiled to himself “What are you talking about?”

 

He slowly pulled the car to halt as they neared a red traffic light “You know what I mean; the cafeteria incidence.”

 

“What about it?” Kyuhyun refused to give it, pretending to surf for a radio channel.

 

“Well, for a start, why did you want to check the café in the first place? It’s not like we are going to have our lunch there. We never had our lunch there” Changmin stated nonchalantly before added “I remember you mentioned something about hating people staring at you.”

 

“I heard my secretary mentioned they are serving chocolate cake today” Kyuhyun replied, the car accelerated again.

 

“Are you telling me the reason you’re checking the buffet line was for their chocolate cake” Changmin asked, not bothering to hide the sarcasm “No relation to the clumsy girl?”

 

Kyuhyun chuckled at the mentioned of the girl “She’s cute; weirdly cute.”

 

“She is cute. But way to clumsy and naive” Changmin said conceitedly “I’m sure you can do better.”

 

“Oh I don’t know. My mom might like her” a mischief smile formed on his lips.

 

“Are you kidding me?” Changmin snapped his head and stared at Kyuhyun. Then he shook his head in disbelief, realizing that evil look on his best friend “What are you planning Cho Kyuhyun?”

 

“A proposition” he said. Then his lips curled upward into a devilish smile “Or should I call a proposal.”

 

 

***************

 

“It was horrible” she whined, legs pulled closely to her chest, forming a human ball.

 

“It can’t be that bad” her roommate who was seated next to her on their beaten leather couch patted her head affectionately.

 

“No, Amber. It was the worst day ever” she covered her head with the small cushion. Small sobs escaped from her.

 

“I’m sure it was nothing. People will forget it after this kind of incident after a day” Ryeowook touched Victoria’s knee gently, trying to encourage her. He then squeezed himself next to her and rubbed her back gently “Please stop crying.”  

 

Amber disappeared into their small kitchen.

 

His hand was still around her when his phone blared loudly. He fished it out from his pocket and stared at the caller ID “It’s Sungmin-hyung” he announced “Hello.”

 

“Where’s is she?” he asked almost in scream. Ryeowook had to distance the phone from his poor ears.

 

“Who?” he asked innocently.

 

“Victoria Song” Sungmin replied sternly “I’ve been calling her for hours now.”

 

Ryeowook turned towards Victoria and asked “Where’s your phone?”

 

She slowly pulled up her head, revealing the tears streaking face as she replied in a low voice “In my handbag I guess.”

 

Ryeowook passed the phone to her “Sungmin-hyung looking for you.”

 

Victoria took the phone hesitantly “Hello.”

 

“Where have you been?” Sungmin screamed from the other side “I’ve been trying to get you the whole day.”

 

“Sorry. I was just too distraught to even check my phone” she replied, holding back her tears.

 

“Are you okay?” the voice on the other line turned softer.

 

“I am now. Thanks to Amber and Ryeowook” she replied with a small smile, taking the mug of hot chocolate from the girl dressed in short and oversized t-shirt. She took a sip of the hot liquid and placed it gently on the small coffee table in front of them.

 

Ryeowook took his coffee own coffee, finally feeling relax.

 

“Glad to know that” Sungmin replied. Then his voice turned serious once again “I have another reason why I tried to call you.”

 

Victoria arched her eyebrows in confusion, noting the serious tone in Sungmin’s voice “What is it then?”  

 

“Cho Kyuhyun wants to see you in his office tomorrow” Sungmin said in one breath.

 

Victoria threw Ryeowook's phone on couch and turned into a human ball once again.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Stay tuned for more ~~~~~~~~~~~~~