Twist of Fate

One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it

 

“Victoria” a familiar voice greeted her. His voice was laced with anxiety just as much as her pale looking face as he jogged to her side “Are you alright?”

 

Victoria who was parading back and forth within the small peachy corridor stopped in her track and spun around. Her eyes were glazed in tears as she flailed herself over the smaller guy, leaning in for comfort “Wookie, it was horrible.”

 

Her best friend held her close and gently rubbed her back in small circles as he leads both of them to the seating area nearby. Seeing the nurses in blue floral uniform giving them the sympathy look, Ryeowook quickly asked “What happened?”

 

“He got into an accident” her voice was low and trembling as she uttered the words “Wookie, I caused the accident.”

 

“How could you cause an accident? You don’t even know how to drive?” her best friend slide an arm around her shoulder, pulling her close in sharing the warmth “Victoria are you alright?”

 

She shook her head in desperate, as beaded of tears fell off her face “I was just playing catch with the kids. One of the boys threw a high ball and I was not able to catch it” she paused for a sniffle “I ran to the road to retrieve it but suddenly a car came from the back and…”

 

Victoria stopped in her sentences, hiding her face behind her palms.

 

Ryeowook tried his best to reassure her, rubbing her neck gently.

 

They were sitting in stillness, except for Victoria’s silent sobs when a sweet looking nurse came to their side “Miss, are you Cho Kyuhyun’s family member?”

 

She faked a smile in reply.

 

“Here is his jacket” the pretty lady handed Victoria a navy blue jacket, folded to perfection “He’s awake now. You can go in now.”

 

“Thanks” Victoria replied in a quiet hesitant voice. Pulling out a man’s wallet and phone from her handbag; slipping it into the folded material.

 

The nurse nodded in reply and left.

 

As soon as the nurse stepped away, Ryeowook grabbed Victoria by the shoulder “Victoria Song… Is Cho Kyuhyun she mentioned, the same Cho Kyuhyun we were talking about few hours ago?”

 

Pursing her lips into a thin line Victoria nodded “It’s the same guy.”

 

“…” the next word that came out from the guy, eyes widen in disbelief.

 

“Indeed, is the right word to describe the situation” Victoria replied grimly, pushing herself up from the couch, looking listless “Thanks Wookie for everything you’ve done for me. You don’t have to visit me while I serve my sentence. It’s not good for your reputation.”

 

“Victoria” Ryeowook pulled Victoria’s wrist to stop her from going further “What are you talking about? Stop being a drama queen.”

 

She gave out a deep sigh “The guy already hates me for what I did to him today. I don’t see any reason for him not to take any action on me.”

 

“But it was just an accident” Ryeowook replied, slowly letting go of his best friend’s wrist “Or… Maybe he was at fault, driving at full speed. If he was not speeding, I’m sure he can stop the car in time without causing such a scene.”

 

Victoria stared vacantly at Ryeowook’s concerned face. Then a gentle smile followed “Thanks Wookie. I better go in now. I’ll let you know if there’s anything. You’ll be working on morning shift tomorrow, right? Better get going now.”

 

The guy shook his head stubbornly “I’ll be right here if you need me. Don’t worry about me.”

 

His words touched her heart, thanking god for blessing her with such great friend. Her head moved into a weak nod before she continued her steps.

 

She gave a gentle knock on the door, but pushed it away without waiting for any reply. The room was spacious, glossy floor, walls colored in apple mint shades with matching curtain drapes and bed spread. An oxford green couch for two was placed at a corner; added colors to the room. 

 

Victoria’s steps halted as soon as her sight caught the source of her misery lying sideway facing the window. Watching his backside in agony, Victoria faked a cough before she greets “Kyuhyun-ssi.”

 

It was only few seconds, but Victoria felt like it was eternity waiting for the guy to response. He slowly flipped himself over, turning his attention to Victoria who was squirming in anxiousness “Ms Victoria Song.”

 

A white bandage was covering a small potion of his forehead but there as nothing else in sight; no drips and needles “How are you doing?” Victoria asked even though she knew how lame the question must be in the current situation.

 

But unexpectedly, there was no snarky comeback from the guy “Just a small bump” his hand touched the white cloth gently. He then signaled Victoria to take a sit next to the bed “They are just keeping me for few more tests. Bet it’s for the sake of testing, and to charge the insurance company.” He was smirking at his own remark.

 

Victoria settled in quietly, eyes fixed on the injury spot “Does it hurt?”

 

The guy shook his head in reply “Don’t feel a thing. I guess the painkillers are working.”

 

“Guess that’s a good sign” Victoria answered with a hesitant smile, hands clasped tightly on the warm jacket.

 

“Sure is. I can’t stand any form of pain” he answered straightforwardly “Is my phone with you?”

 

Victoria instantly got on her feet and pulled out the device from the jacket. She then cautiously folded it back and placed it on the couch before returning to her seat next to the bed.

 

Kyuhyun quickly scanned his smart phone, falling in deep thoughts. His forehead was frowning slightly as he scanned the content, replying to it immediately. He then gently placed the device face down on the bed before asking Victoria for another favor “Can you get my portable battery charger in my jacket? I think it’s on the right side.”

 

Victoria jumped to off her seat and reached for the navy blue jacket again, handling it with cautious not to mess the fold. As soon as she pulled out the small device, she closed her gaps, standing inches away from Kyuhyun; reaching for the off white phone and plugged in the USB portable charger.

 

She only realized her doings when she puts down the device; nervously took a step back to distance herself. But it seemed she was the only one wary of the other presence. Kyuhyun seemed busy in his own world, tapping the device; lips pouted as he concentrated on his emails.

 

He looked less intimidating donning the blue and green stripes uniform.

 

“Did anyone called while I was unconscious?” he asked, eyes were still fixed on the device “The phone line is horrible.”

 

“Your office called once” she answered, wondering whether painkillers can alter mood and personality as well caused the Kyuhyun lying in front of her was a complete stranger. Even his aura is less daunting “Then I was instructed to put it on silent mode.”

 

“I couldn’t even remember who I named as my emergency contact person” he continued without raising his head “Hopefully it is not my mom. She’ll be too workout if she found out.”

 

Victoria can’t help it, noting the endearing tone of his, while he spoke of his mother “Do you want me to check with the nurses outside?” Victoria offered; surprised at how easy they were conversing with each other.

 

“Nope. Don’t worry about it. I’m sure the hospital is taking care of it” Kyuhyun answered lightly “You did give them my Insurance card, right?”

 

“Yeah. It was the first thing they asked for when we came in. Sorry I had to go through your wallet for it” she replied sheepishly.

 

“No big deal. There’s nothing to hide” he replied. Seconds later his phone vibrated few times and he quickly attended to it; turning a frown into a mysterious smile right in front of Victoria’s eyes.

 

Their conversation paused as a soft knock from the door echoed “Come in” he sounds as if he was in his office.

 

“Good evening. I’m here to take your order for tomorrow’s breakfast and lunch” the same nurse who called Victoria earlier, had stepped into the room, holding a red log book. Her nametag pinned on her left chest written ‘Jessica’ in bold letters.

 

Victoria smirked quietly, noting the difference treatment between public and private hospital. She still remembered how cold Ryeowook who had his appendix removed a year ago was treated in one of the public hospital; sharing room with a dozen patients, raising voices for a mere medical assistance.

 

“What do you have?” he asked, putting his phone aside.

 

“The menu is in your drawer, sir” she politely pointed at the drawer next to Victoria.

 

Victoria quickly reached for the booklet and handed it to Kyuhyun. Their fingers touched and their eyes met for a spilt seconds but Victoria quickly gazed away. Her heartbeat was racing incredulously fast, it was deafening.

 

Kyuhyun scanned the menu for a few minutes before he asked an unexpected question “Am I allow eating home cook meal? I would prefer to have my fiancé’s homemade dishes instead.”

 

He stared directly at Victoria; a devilish smirk appeared at the corner of his lips. ‘The devil had returned’ she thought to herself.

 

The nurse exchanged smiles with Victoria and nodded “Sure. You can take our homemade recommended menu and recipe at the outside counter before you leave.”

 

As soon as the nurse exited the room, Victoria turned towards Kyuhyun “What’s going on?”

 

Shrugging it off, Kyuhyun returned his attention to his phone, letting the menu slide at his side as he nonchalantly replied “What? Isn’t it normal for a sick man wants some attention from his fiancé?”

 

“I’m not your fiancé” Victoria replied curtly. She could not believe that a few minutes ago she actually thought Khyuhyun was simply being misjudged by her; and deep down in his cold exterior lies someone warm and loving. She was wrong.

 

It was awkwardly weird how easy it was to talk to the guy few moments ago and now both of them are ready for a battle of wit “I believe I’ve declined your offer.”

 

“But that was before the accident. I believe things have changed by now” he tilted his head and gave her his wolfish grin “The table has turned.”

 

“I don’t see that happening” Victoria answered cautiously, wary of the daunting grin.

 

Kyuhyun took his phone and handed it to Victoria.

 

She cautiously took it from him and scanned the screen. Her eyes widen at the image “Is this your…”

 

“Yes. That’s my 67,000,000 KRW car. As you can see, it needs a major workout now due to the accident…” he paused dramatically, letting his words trailed off.   

 

Picking up the hidden message, Victoria looked up and threw Kyuhyun her death glares “This is blackmailing.”

 

The guy laughed evilly, reaching out his hand for the phone “I called this business arrangement. You need to pay for the repairs, and here I am, generously offering a payment term.”

 

She was about to lash out on him when the door suddenly open letting a group of people swarming in.

 

“Kyuhyunnie” and middle aged lady dress in an expensive looking dress walked in and hovered over the guy on the bed “What happened to you dear? I was worried sick”

 

“Mom, stop it. I can’t breath” he tried to wiggle himself off the older lady’s embrace.

 

“He sounds fine” the man behind her replied coldly.

 

“Changmin called earlier informing us about your accident” the lady continued, hands caressing the younger man lovingly “How many stitches they gave you?”

 

“It just a bump” he replied. “Where is he?” Kyuhyun tried to change the subject.

 

“He’ll be late. Went to the workshop, getting details on your car” the old man replied. His eyes then fell on Victoria who was squirming nervously, slowly inching her way towards the exit door “Oh, hello there.”

 

Kyuhyun’s mother quickly diverted her attention towards her husband's source of distraction. She was indeed curious staring at the young girl, observing Victoria from head to toe; secretly praising her for her natural beauty but noting that she’s different from her son’s usual taste in woman.

 

But before she could ask further, the door was once again slammed, letting an old man with a cane in “Where’s that stupid grandson of mine?”

 

“Grandpa” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes in annoyance.

 

“Were you drunk?” he asked, raising his cane in pretense to hit his grandson.

 

“I was not” he replied defensively “I was perfectly…”

 

His words were cut mid sentence when another guy stepped into room “Sorry, I got the room number mixed up.”

 

“How could you get the room number mixed up?” the old man grumpily asked.

 

“It’s a long story…” he answered swiftly but stopped immediately when he saw the familiar girl “Hey you’re the Cinderella girl.”

 

“Cinderella?” the whole room asked in unison, except for Victoria who was too shocked to respond.

 

“Hae, you know Victoria?” Kyuhyun asked, almost accusingly.

 

“Call him hyung” the old man hit Kyuhyun’s leg with his fancy cane.

 

“” he swore on top of his lung “How could you hit a patient.”

 

“Mind your words” his father warned monotonously.

 

“We met earlier today. At Kukbo’s lobby” he replied earnestly, kindly left out the horrendous part of the rendezvous.

 

 “Are you one of our staff? I have never seen you before” Kyuhyun’s father asked, settling on the couch next to his wife, since the older man refused to sit. The old man was busy observing Victoria.

 

“Ms Victoria Song. She’s our new Executive designer” Kyuhyun quickly replied, introducing her to his family; signaling her to play along.

 

Not a single word came out from the poor girl.

 

“Executive designer” Donghae mumbled to himself before he extended her hand “Nice to meet you Victoria. You can call me Donghae-oppa.”

 

“Stop flirting in front of everyone” the grandfather hit Donghae lightly.

 

The guy yelped in pain, jumped away from his grandfather, playfully pulled Victoria as a human shield. The earlier tense atmospheres lighten up.

 

Unfortunately it was short-lived when Kyuhyun made another outburst “Hyung, stop flirting with Victoria. She’s off-limit.”

 

“What that supposed to mean?” the old man asked curiously. All eyes were on Kyuhyun.

 

As for Victoria, she wished for nothing else except for the floor to eat her up.

 

“Victoria is my fiancée” Kyuhyun announced without any hint of hesitation.

 

“Fiancée?” unison remarked as if it was properly orchestrated by a mastermind.

 

Victoria could not believe how long her day had been,

 

**************************

~Back to back update!

~Had so much fun in this chapter... More drama to come ya~