Cinderella's shoes

One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it

 

In life, there are those who are born with a silver spoon and blessed with good fortune throughout their lives. Cho Kyuhyun and Shim Changmin are one of the few born with privileged; a long history of blue blood, good grades to brag and gorgeous looks to flaunt. Their path crossed at early years meeting in one of the most posh high school, sitting next to each other throughout the years, destined to become close friends; becoming each other rivals.

“You look like ” Changmin hissed as he stepped into Kyuhyun’s office, ignoring Luna’s cry of protest; which had been given strict instruction not to allow anyone in.

“Kyuhyun-ssi, I’m sorry…” Luna tried to explain, blushing at the sight of her boss standing next to the glass window, drying himself with a towel.

“It’s okay. Thanks Luna” Kyuhyun replied coldly, signaling his secretary to close the door.

The petite girl bowed slightly, avoiding eye contact as she quickly disappeared behind the door; not wanting to deal with Kyuhyun’s dark mood.

The guy continued with his earlier task; drying his wet hair with a small white towel silently, ignoring the curious smirk plastered on Changmin’s lips. But before his friend could add another haughty remark, Kyuhyun dryly stated “You don’t look that great yourself.”

Leg crossed as he settled in the expensive leather couch, Changmin let the pair of black slip-on high heels he had picked from the earlier scene fell onto the carpeted floor. The little scratches on his shin starting to itch but his lips simply curled into a mysterious smile as he said “I stumbled upon a feisty kitten.”

“Funny” Kyuhyun turned to face his guest “I tried to help a lost kitten myself” he responded nonchalantly, hanging the wet towel on the wooden coat hanger. His long fingers then moved to his chest, ing the slightly drench shirt on him “Maybe I should get a puppy instead.”

“Already giving up?” Changmin leaned back comfortably; eyes fell onto the stranger’s shoes.

He let out a soft disgruntled huff at his best friend’s painful jab, tossing the wet shirt into his gym bag. As he placed the bag leaning on the wooden table’s leg, his line of sight caught an empty drinking bottle on the floor; a deep frowned appeared on his forehead, a sign that his thoughts had wandered away.

 

“I’m sorry, can you repeat it again” she asked, confused at Kyuhyun’s sudden proposition, too absurd to believe in.

“I’m offering you the job, if you willing to be my wife” obliged to her request with an amused smile plastered on his face, clearly enjoying the shocking state the girl was in.

Victoria blinked her eyes repeatedly, not sure how to respond to it. After few minutes of silence, she finally asked in a small hesitate voice “Why?”

Kyuhyun tilted his head, trying to act innocent as he admired Victoria’s flustered face “Why what?” he asked, playfully teasing her “Why I’m offering you the job? Or, why I choose you?”

Victoria’s high ponytail bobbled lightly as she shook her head stubbornly, eyes wide opened, anxiously waiting for an answer “Why you need a wife?”

He was slightly taken back by her unexpected question, silently praising her quick wit. His upper lips slowly curled upward into a haughty smile ”Why not? I’m a straight guy looking for love.”

“If love is what you are looking for, I think you are doing it wrong?” Victoria pursed her lips, realizing her quick reply may bring her greater trouble.

“And why is that?” Kyuhyun crossed his arms around his chest, pretending to look hurt by her statement.

“Well, why do you need to make a deal if it’s really love that you’re after?” Victoria asked cautiously, trying to read the unspoken signals from the other.

But instead of feeling offended by Victoria’s reply, Kyuhyun’s laughter filled the four walls “You’re such an interesting person Miss Song. There are times you look like an innocent kid, but here you are challenging me with your wits. Which one is the real you?”

“Thank you for your kind words. But I’m just being myself” Victoria replied softly, anxiously waiting for Kyuhyun’s comeback.

“I need a wife to secure an inheritance” he answered, eyes staring deeply into Victoria’s brown orbs; testing her.

Victoria’s artful brows arched curiously “It sounds so cliché. Something a Korean drama fan will come up with.”

“It does seem a bit shady isn’t it? But then again, if it’s a Korean drama, I’m sure I’ll be proposing to a much prettier girl, don’t you agree” Kyuhyun lips slowly curled up into a devilish smile; maliciously teasing her.

But to his surprise Victoria was too cool to react. She simply smiled “Of course. I’m sure they will be lining up for you, handing their CV.”

 Kyuhyun ignored her sarcasm-laced statement “So, did you.”

“I’m here for the junior exec post” Victoria replied, cheeks shaded in bright crimson.

“And here I am offering you the job, inclusive a package not to be missed” he then leaned back and pulled a big envelop. He placed the piece on the table in front of her “Here’s the contract for you to vet through. The term and conditions, the payment term and all the perks for you to get accustom with.”

He expected her to reach out and seal the deal with a handshake. But, Victoria surprised him when she pushed the heavy chair back and stood up instead. Her eyes were glazed in raw unreadable emotions Kyuhyun rarely sees “It’s such an interesting proposition. And I’m sure any girls would love to seal the deal. Unfortunately I’m not one of them. I have to pass.”

 “Would you prefer a higher pay?” Kyuhyun asked, emotions carefully masked behind his signature poker face. 

Victoria took a deep breath before replying frostily “No sir. Though I do need a job and a paycheck, I’m sure I can manage somehow. Thank you very much for your concern.”

She bowed to him and turned her heels around and walked away.

 “Well, Ms Victoria Song, I have to tell you that your certificate will not bring you anywhere. The instance you walk out of this room, you’ll regret your decision. You might as well let go of your dream” Kyuhyun boorishly replied, clearly offended by her stubbornness.

In that instance, Victoria’s steps halted almost violently, she turned around and her face was i inquisitive, taking firm steps towards the guy. With their face inches away, Victoria answered through gritted teeth “You can make fun me, I couldn’t care less. You can even call me poor, coz I apparently I am now.”

Kyuhyun didn’t move a muscle, staring intently at Victoria’s silent rage. But seconds later, he jumped off when cold liquid suddenly drips off his head “What the hell?”

Victoria clutched an newly emptied bottle firmly ”But no one can take my dream away.”

Kyuhyun froze in his spot, watching Victoria sprung out of the room, leaving the empty bottle lying on the floor.

 

“Earth to Cho Kyuhyun” Changmin called aloud, annoyed that his presence was being ignored.  

“Yeah” Kyuhyun startled but quickly turned around towards his bored looking friend “What’s wrong?”

“That should be my line. You’ve been daydreaming” Changmin accused, eyes darting viciously at his friend.

Kyuhyun sighed deeply, bend down and picked the bottle up, placing it on his table. He then pulled his chair out, settling in behind his desk “Was just thinking about the lost kitten.”

“Didn’t you say you prefer a puppy instead” Changmin jeered, lips pursed into a thin line “Anyway, I don’t think you’re responsible enough to take care of any pets.”

“How hard can it be” he gave out his lopsided smile. Not wanting to discuss further, Kyuhyun changed the subject “So, where are we heading for lunch?”

Changmin was not pleased with it, but decided to pick up the topic during their lunch break instead “I’ve booked…”

Changmin stopped mid sentence when Luna’s pitchy voice echoed from the intercom “Kyuhyun-ssi, your father in on line 1.”

“Thanks” Kyuhyun quickly signaled his guest to stay quiet as he changed the line. Clearing his throat with a fake cough, he then answered “Dad?”

“Come up to my office” the deep voice greeted, giving instruction sternly.

“What’s wrong dad?” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes in annoyance “Are we having a meeting right now? Can’t we do it later? It’s almost lunch time.”

“We’re having lunch with your brother” the final statement from the old man before he cut the line; not giving room for any discussion.

Kyuhyun sighed deeply, murmuring under his breath as he hung up “Step brother.”

 

***************

Curious eyes were fixed on her, mocking her state, some were laughing while others sneered as she passed by; barefooted with smeared mascara stained her beautiful face. But she didn’t care. Victoria only has one goal at that very moment; to get out from the building.

Heads down, she tried her very best to stay unnoticed. But fate seemed to enjoy her misery; she bumped into someone, papers haphazardly scattered onto the floor. Victoria quickly went down on her knees, reaching out for the papers as she repeatedly apologized “I’m sorry. I’m really am.”

“It’s okay” the stranger assured her, collecting the papers by her side. Picking the last piece and tossed it into his leather bag, he turned around facing Victoria and smiled “Thanks.” He pulled himself up and reached out his hand to assist Victoria.

Victoria didn’t move, kneeling on the floor “It’s my fault to begin with” her voice was low and hurtful.

“Are you alright?” he lowered himself once again, kneeling beside her. “Do you need any help?” His voice was soft and soothing. An act of kindness Victoria didn’t expect to receive on that unlucky day.

She gave him a weak nod, lips stretched into a thin line “It’s one of those days.” She got back on her feet and bowed to the stranger “Sorry to trouble you.”

“Where are you going?” he stood up, pulling a piece of white cloth from his pocket and handed it to Victoria “Please don’t cry. A beautiful girl like you should be smiling.”

Victoria took the handkerchief and slowly wiped the make-up stained away “I just need to go home.”

“Are you driving?” the handsome stranger asked “Or, someone is picking you up?”

“No. I’ll be taking the bus” she replied almost in whisper. Seeing the number of eyes staring at them increased, Victoria bowed again “Excuse me. I better go now.”

Unexpectedly, the stranger pulled Victoria’s arm, stopping her escape “Barefooted? You’ll hurt yourself” he said in genuine concern.

“I’ll be fine. Thanks for your kind concern” she replied rather coldly, starting to feel irritate by the unwanted attentions.

Sensing her discomfort, the stranger snatched her hand and pulled her towards the entrance “You’re following me instead.”

It was so sudden, she was too shock to protest, and dodging questioning stares as they strode through the lobby. But at a sudden realization Victoria pulled back, strong enough to break the hold “Are you rich?”

The question took the stranger by surprise, anyone would. He stared at Victoria as if she had spoken in a foreign language “I’m sorry? What did you say?”

Shaking her head frustratingly, she insisted “Do you have a fat bank account?”

He blinked hard at the unexpected question “I…”

“My day had turn from bad to disastrous because my path crossed with those who are born with silver spoon in their mouth, thinking they are entitled to hurt people who are less fortunate” her voice trembled slightly, recalling her day “So, if you are one of them, I would just like to say thank you for your kindness, but I rather go separate way now.”

The colorful outburst from Victoria made the guy froze in his track but seconds later a loud laughter erupted from him “You’re hilarious.” Not caring of her rage, he once again reached for Victoria’s hand.

She quickly pulled back “I’m serious.”

“I am too” he snatched her hand and pulled her towards the entrance almost vehemently “Don’t worry, I’m just like you.”As soon as they stepped out from the building, the stranger leads Victoria to one of the expensive car parked in front. Sensing her hesitant, he turned around and explained “This is my boss’s car.” He then opened car boot and took out a pair of gold glittering shoes and handed it to her.

“I can’t take this” Victoria exclaimed almost in panic.

“Of course you can. This belongs to my boss’s ex-girlfriend and I’m supposed to throw it away” he instantly knelt down and forcefully slipped the shoes in her feet “Perfect fit.”

“But I…” Victoria tried to resist but she was once again being pulled stranger.

They stopped at a taxi stand; he opened the door for her and slightly pushed her in. Before Victoria could protest further, he pulled her hand and started to scribble “This is my phone number. Call me.”

With that, he closed the door and waved goodbye.

A bright smile was plastered on his handsome face when the familiar security guard came to him “Is everything okay Donghae-ssi?”

“Everything’s great” he replied with a wink. But his cheerful smile turned into a frown in split second as he stares at his expensive wrist watch “Except that I’m already late for the lunch appointment with my father.”

 

*****************************************

>>> Really sorry for such an overdue update.

 I had so much working on this chapter, hope you'll enjoy it  :)