Coming to terms

Why?

Jessica was charged with harassment and assault while Tiffany was not charged due to her involvement in preventing more harm done. Hyukjae and Donghae were at the trial. Donghae had insisted on being there. He wanted to make sure Tiffany was going to be alright. Afterall, if Tiffany hadn't arrived in time, Donghae might not even be alive at all. Hyukjae had objected to going for the trial. Why torture Donghae even more by facing the person who wanted him to hurt and die? But knowing Donghae who felt obligated to at least show support to the one who had saved him, Hyukjae reluctantly agreed. However, he made sure Donghae was within sight of him by placing an arm around his waist. He made sure that Jessica wasn't anywhere near him. Who knows what would happen if Jessica got close to Donghae? Hyukjae didn't want a repeat of what happened. 

 
Donghae looked up at Hyukjae to see him very tense. He was overly protective of Donghae ever since the incident. Even before the trial started, Hyukjae had seemed very uptight. Whenever he saw Jessica even glancing at Donghae, his hold on Donghae's waist would tighten and he would glare at Jessica. Donghae could only sigh. When Tiffany was brought to the stand and started to recount the whole incident, Donghae could not help but shiver. It was as if the incident was happening at that very moment. Donghae started to weep and tremble as he was made to relieve the incident. Hyukjae could not help but feel his heart shatter into pieces at the sight of his lover in that weak state. He had some experience as a lawyer where his client had undergone some traumatic incident but it wasn't as bad as Donghae's reaction. Hyukjae took Donghae into his arms and murmured soothing words to him. He felt his shirt getting wet from Donghae's tears but he didn't mind. He just hoped that the trial would be over soon. 
 
Even though the incident was over a week ago, Donghae was still traumatized. He would wake up in cold sweat, screaming from his nightmare. If Hyukjae was always by his side when it happened, holding onto him, calming him down. 
 
When the final verdict was passed down, Hyukjae gave a sigh of relief. It was finally over. They could go back and lead their lives normally. Hyukjae shook Donghae gently to tell him that the trial was over. Donghae nodded and slowly roused himself up. He had puffy eyes and a red nose from his excessive crying. Kissing Donghae gently of his lips, Hyukjae led him out of the courtroom. Donghae tightened his grip on Hyukjae hand as they walked out. 
 
The car ride home was silent. They were parked outside their house but both made no move to leave the car. Hyukjae was getting a bit worried. Donghae had been silent since the trial ended. Not one word had passed through that soft thin lips. 
 
"Donghae? What's wrong?" but Donghae remained silent. 
 
"Come on baby. Talk to me. Please. "
 
Donghae finally looked at Hyukjae, eyes b with tears. 
 
"Did we do the right thing?" Donghae whispered. 
 
"What are you talking about?"
 
"Jessica...She...She really loved you. " Donghae said, as he choked on his tears.
 
"Don't ever doubt us. Hae. I love you. That's not going to change. You know that right?" Hyukjae said as he stared into Donghae's eyes as if willing him to believe that their love could survive. 
 
"But...What if it isn't enough? What if I'm not good enough for you? I mean, you are an aspiring lawyer and...and I'm just a...a nobody. I-I even caused you to commit a crime! Teacher-student relationships are-it's-" Donghae choked out. It hurt Hyukjae to see Donghae in such a state. The last time he saw Donghae like this was also because he had been hurt by  him. 
 
Hyukjae unbuckled both their seatbelts and pulled Donghae into his embrace. 
 
"Sshh...It isn't your fault, Hae. Don't berate yourself about it. It wasn't your fault that I had with you and it isn't your fault that Jessica is in jail. If anything, it should be me to be blamed. I started this. I'm sorry. So Hae, don't cry. It breaks my hurt to see you like this. If you're a nobody, then so am I. At least we're together. Now and forever. I love you so trust me when I say that whatever happened isn't your fault. " Hyukjae said as he let Donghae wet his short with his tears. 
 
Cupping Donghae's face in his fingers, he gave a peck on his forehead, kissed away the stray tears on his cheeks before planting a kiss on Donghae's quivering lips. The kiss conveyed whatever unsaid words that Hyukjae couldn't convey properly-trust, understanding and love. Donghae lost himself in that kiss and it seemed as if time stopped and all his troubles had disappeared. He knew then that if he didn't have Hyukjae beside him, he would have gone crazy. 
 
"Let's get you cleaned up. " Hyukkae said as he pulled away from the kiss. He got out from the car and went to help Dongjae open the car door and urs here's him into the warmth and comfort of their house. Leading Donghae up the stairs, he stripped them both and prepared a hot tub for them to soak themselves in. 
 
After having soaked long enough, they both dried themselves before heading to bed. Seeing Donghae cuddle beside him brought Hyukjae lots of joy. It was then that he knew that this was where he wanted to be. To have Donghae in his arms was home. He was going to have to treasure and cherish that beauty with all his heart. They had gone so far together. Nothing was going to separate them. Not jealous girls nor their work commitments. Nothing. 
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Ta-da! I'm done. If this chapter was a bit rushed, I apologise. Writing this was...difficult but enjoyable though. It's sad that this fic has to end but hey, at least I can focus on my third unfinished one! Comment! Subscribe! Upvote! Love you peeps!