Chapter Fourteen

Play with me...

I need to think. How can I solve this mess? Donghae was pacing within his room. A soft knock on his door startled him. 'Taemin?' He rushed to the door and opened it quickly, only to be disappointed as his mother was revealed to be the one behind it.

'Mom?'

'Hey sweety. I don't understand why you are this upset. Dad said he was so proud of you as well. You used to love to dance. Isn't this great?'

'No mom.' Hae started crying. 'It was Taemin's.'

His mother looked tenderly at her son. 'If you don't want it, then just refuse, darling.'

'But won't you and dad be mad?'

'Of course not. We don't want to force you into something.'

'Mister Park said I can't refuse.'

His mom frowned. 'Why not?'

'Cause my grades aren't so good.' Hae mumbled.

She sighed as she looked at her son. She knew something had been bothering him for years now. She knew it had to do with that boney Lee kid her son used to adore. But she knew it was beyond her reach so she just waited and waited for Hae to open up to her. He never did though.

'Hae?'

'Hmmm?'

'When are you going to visit your father again? He misses you.' She asked carefully.

Hae hung his head low, his bangs covering his eyes. 'I will, soon.'

His mom hugged him tight, pecked his head and left.

 

'Hey, why didn't you pick up my calls yesterday?' Sungmin asked carefully after he had run up to a hesitating Hae.

Donghae looked away. 'I was afraid you would yell at me.'

'Hae, I just wanted to hear your side.' Sungmin spoke softly.

'It's all my fault.' Thick teardrops came rolling down.

Minho joined them. He saw Hae searching and he shook his head. 'Tae isn't coming to school today.'

 

Kyu followed Hyuk's intense stare and rolled his eyes as he saw Donghae at the receiving end. He looked back at Hyuk. 'You see him crying now, happy?'

No emotions were readable on Hyuk's face. He just shrugged.

'So are you two even now?' Kyu tried.

'Nope.' Came the cold answer. 'The Choi boy is next.'

Kyu had to retain himself.

 

'And there was no way you could have declined?' Sungmin asked before he took a huge bite out of his sandwich.

Hae shook his head. 'I tried so hard, you guys have to believe me.'

'Hey, of course we do.' Minho hugged his friend. 'I'll go over to Taemin and explain it to him tonight, ok?'

'I have to find a way to give him his spot back.' Hae said.

'I just don't understand, how did they find out you can dance?' Sungmin wondered out loud.

Hae bit his lip. He briefly glanced towards his nemesis sitting three tables further. 'I don't know.'

 

'Well this is a new low, even for you guys.' Their literature teacher sighed. 'And it does count, since the average just reached the passing grade.' She started to hand out the test results. 'I must say that I'm disappointed, Hyukjae, I expected another perfect grade from you, not a B+.'

Donghae saw Hyuk's eyes widen in shock. The students were whispering. This was the first time in years that Lee Hyukjae had something other than an A.

'I've got two answers wrong?' Hyuk mumbled in disbelief.

'As usual you received a D-.' The teacher snarled as she threw the paper on Hae's desk.

Hae quickly looked around, grabbed his pen and changed something. Kyu frowned as he had noticed.

'I'm glad you didn't punish me for spelling my name wrong?' Donghae blurted out.

The teacher jerked her body towards him, grabbed his test back and glanced at his name. 'I didn't think even you were this stupid. Here is your F.' She said with venom.

'Oh noooo.' Hae said dramatically.

'What now?'

'Don't you have to up our scores or cancel the test? Since the average is below passing now?' Hae said, his eyes all big. 'I guess you could make a new test then?'

Kyu grinned as he caught on.

'You little....' the teacher hissed. 'Okay, everyone, give your results back, I'll upgrade your scores.'

'Upgrade?' Kyu asked.

'Yes, all D's become C's and C's become B's and so on. Anyone a problem with that?'

They all quickly shook their heads.

 

'I can't believe I had a B.' Hyuk murmured.

Kyu studied his friend. 'It's an A now.'

'Yeah, but how could I get those answers wrong.'

'Maybe you were preoccupied during the test?' Kyu tried.

'Hmmmm.'

'Weird how your straight A student repertoire was saved cause of Donghae.' Kyu fished.

'Yeah, he really doesn't care about his grades. What an idiot!'

'Yup, he's an idiot alright.' Kyu sighed.

 

Right before their final period, Minho entered their class after a bathroom break. His eyes were wild. 'How could you?' He choked out as he looked accusingly at Donghae.

'W-what?'

'How could you do this to me?'

'Minho, what's wrong?' Sungmin asked.

'You were the only one who could do this, don't even deny it!' Minho screamed.

A whistle was heard. A group of boys were hanging around the door waving with flyers. 'God, Choi, never knew you were this hot!!!' One of them said.

Sungmin ran up to them and grabbed a flyer. He froze as he recognised the picture displayed on it.

'S-sungmin?' Hae asked.

The older turned towards Hae with disbelief. He slammed the paper on the desk, grabbed the upset Minho and left.

With shaking hands Hae reached out for the flyer. On it was Minho, dressed as a girl in a ridiculous seductive pose blowing a kiss at the photographer. Hae's mind blocked. This was taken last summer on a truth or dare mission between the four friends. This picture was taken by Hae at that time, he never even printed it.