Chapter Fifteen

Play with me...

'Hae, not right now, okay? I'll call you back later.' Sungmin sighed as he held Minho. The boy was inconsolable for hours now.

Donghae breathed in and said what he had been practicing. His voice as cold as he could make it sound. 'No need, Sungmin. Let's end our friendship here.' Thank god his best friend couldn't see his trembling hands. Hae bit his lip as he waited for an answer, tightening the grip on his cell phone.

Sungmin frowned. 'What?'

'You heard me. I'm done with the three of you. Don't bother me anymore, bye!' Hae quickly hung up and started crying. It was for the best, he kept saying to himself. They were safer away from him. He tried to pull himself together and continued his plan. It took him 15 minutes to reach Hyukjae's house. He rang the bell and waited.

'Why are you here?' Hyukjae greeted him, his dislike all over his face.

'Please don't harm Sungmin. I've ended it all.'

'What do you mean, aish, you never make sense.'

'Whatever you have planned for him, you don't have to do it anymore, I already told him our relationship is over.'

'Relationship?'

'Yeah, friendship.'

Hyuk waited for the triumph to wash over him but that never happened. He took in the swollen red eyelids of the tensed younger in front of him. He tried to shrug a nagging feeling away as he remained cool in his answer: 'Sorry, dude, too late, it's all set in motion.'

Panic took over Hae. 'What did you do?' Hae whispered.

'Since when do you care about friends.' Hyuk scoffed.

'I've put up with a lot, Hyuk, but I don't think my heart can handle any more.' Hae spoke softly. 'This is my final warning, don't mess with Sungmin.'

Hyuk didn't like that serious tone in the other. 'Or what?' He snapped.

Hae just gave him one piercing look before he took off.

 

Sungmin looked at Taemin and Minho. 'He wants to end our friendship.'

Minho immediately stopped his sniffing and whiped his tears away. 'What?'

'This is what I've been talking about. Something is going on.' Sungmin said as he started pacing the room.

'Yeah, Hae would never just take my spot without telling me he would like to try out for it.' Taemin said.

'Heck, he never would try out for it, knowing it was your dream.' Sungmin added before he turned to Minho. 'You really think Hae made those flyers?'

Minho looked at his friends and then suddenly felt ashamed. 'No. Hae wouldn't. Oh my God, Hae would not ever do this to us.'

'Who is behind all this?' Taemin asked. 'Why would Hae call you like this?'

Sungmin sighed. 'I'm afraid only one person has this much impact on our fish.'

 

Hae looked down at the ground, three meters underneath him while he tried to build up the courage to jump. He had thought of quitting school but he just couldn't. It would have meant he could not see his friends again. And worse. He would not be able to keep an eye on Hyukkie, to care for him. So it was no option. And he had calculated this well. It should be ok, it would end all issues for his friends. Taemin would get his spot back and the attention would be pulled away from Minho's picture. It was perfect. He smiled and prepared himself.

The moment he wanted to leap off the roof he was pulled back by a furious Kyu. 'What the do you think you are doing?' Kyu shouted.

'Let me go!' Hae yelled.

'Hell no, whatever is going on, it's not worth your life!' Kyu said, sudden tears appearing in his eyes.

'My life? What are you talking about?'

'You were going to jump!'

'Yes, so?'

Kyu looked at the other with disbelief.

Hae finally understood and started laughing which made Kyu even more angry.

'Oooh, my dear Kyu.' Hae chuckled. 'I was just going to break my legs.'

'You are insane.'

'Nope, I've done the math, I can't die at this height but the fall would be bad enough to ensure I'd never have a chance at professional dancing.'

'Are you even listening to what you are saying?' Kyu said.

'It doesn't matter if you don't understand, just go away.'

'You are not jumping.' Kyu stood in between the edge of the roof and Donghae, determined.

'You can't stop me.'

'Oh yes I can.' Kyu suddenly smirked.

Hae lifted an eyebrow.

'Don't jump or...' Kyu took a breath and went for it....'or I'll tell Hyukjae you are in love with him.'

 

'Hi sir, how have you been?' Sungmin bowed his head in respect.

'Ahhh, Sungmin, my boy. I'm fine, how is my Hae?'

The boy frowned. 'You haven't seen him?'

The man hung his head low and shook his head. 'He hasn't visited me for months now. Something must be eating at him. He's afraid I'll see through him, right? Is he in trouble, Minnie?'

'I'm not sure, I...' Sungmin hesitated.

'It's Lee Hyukjae, right?' The man suddenly said taking Sungmin by surprise.

'Sir, how did you know?'

'Well, whenever my son is this upset, it's cause of that Lee kid.' Donghae's dad said.

Min nodded in agreement, his worries multiplying. 'I have a bad feeling this time, sir.'

'Me too, Minnie, me too. Try to protect my boy, ok?'

 

'Did you hear?' A girl whispered.

Donghae couldn't help but overhear.

'What?' The other girl said.

'I heard Sungmin was taken away by police officers early this morning.'

Hae froze. Police? What the hell did Hyuk do? He started running towards the principal's office.

'Mr Park!!!' Hae stormed into the office. He stopped as he saw two policemen and Sungmin seated at the desk.

'Lee Donghae, get out!' Leeteuk yelled.

'Minnie?' Hae outed.

'They found out, Hae.' Sungmin's eyes were filled with tears as Hae's world pulverised.

As Hae was dragged out, a lot of students were standing around. His wild eyes went over the crowd and stopped as they were met with dark almond ones.

Hyukjae felt all air leaving him as he recognised the emotion in the younger's eyes.

Finally, hate.