Chapter Thirteen

Play with me...

'Lee Donghae, please go to your principal immediately.' The announcer said through the school's intercom.

'Ooooooh' was heard all through the classroom.

'What did you do?' Sungmin mouthed to Hae. The latter shrugged and signaled that he had no idea.

'Immediately means right now, Lee.' Yesung, the music teacher declared as he slammed Hae's table, startling the boy.

Hae quickly got up, tripped over Hyuk's extended foot but succeeded in remaining upright.

'God, grow up.' Taemin hissed triggering Hyuk to flip him the bird.

 

'I'm glad I can finally see you in here without having to reprimand you, Mister Lee.' Leeteuk said with a huge dimply smile.

Hae frowned. 'Sir?'

'You know we have a scholarship for the talents of our school.'

'Yeah but...'

'Someone recommended you and after viewing one of your training sessions, we were immediately convinced of your skill.'

Hae beamed. He knew he was good but the praise still warmed his heart. He leaned back on the chair and rested his right ankle on his left knee. 'Well thank you sir, what does the football scholarship entail?'

Leeteuk frowned. 'Football?' He laughed. 'No, no football, dancing Donghae, dancing! Your dancing is out of this world.'

Donghae sat back straight up. 'What?'

'I know this was promised to Lee Taemin but after seeing your performance, I...'

'No! Stop it! I don't dance anymore!' Hae snapped.

The principal frowned. 'But...'

'I refuse!'

'I'm afraid you can't, Donghae, your grades are so poor that you need this scholarship anyway.'

'Sir, please don't do this to me.' Hae pleaded. 'Taemin is my friend.'

'You have to think of yourself Donghae.'

'I'll get good grades from now on, I promise.' Hae was getting desperate.

'Too late.' Leeteuk remained firm.

'I'll ace all...' Hae stopped talking as he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up and saw his dramateacher behind him.

'Sometimes things are meant to be.' Heechul said cryptical.

Tears welled up in Hae's eyes. 'Please understand.'

Heechul sighed. 'I'm sorry, my beautiful Donghae but it's for your own good.'

'We already informed your parents.' Leeteuk continued. 'Both of them.'

Hae's shoulders dropped.

 

Sungmin was pacing the hallway while Taemin and Minho were sitting on the cold, hard floor.

'You think he's getting expelled?' Minho asked with a small voice.

'Then I'm changing schools.' Sungmin declared.

'Let's not get ahead of ourselves.' Taemin said softly.

The principal's door opened and revealed a defeated Donghae being gently pushed out by Heechul.

'Hae!' the three Min's shouted at the same time.

The boy was startled and the tears resurfaced as he looked at Taemin.

'Hey, what's wrong?' Sungmin asked, worriedly.

Hae just sobbed and sprinted away, leaving his friends frozen at the spot.

 

'You sure he's alright?' Minho questioned again.

'Well no, he just texted me that he went home early and not to worry about him.' Sungmin said.

'I wonder what happened in there.' Taemin sighed.

'Oh you haven't heard?' Hyuk's voice sneered.

The three turned around to be faced with a smirking Hyuk and a silent Kyu.

'What?' Sungmin scowled.

'He took your spot.' Hyuk said as he looked pitiful at Taemin.

The latter frowned. 'My spot?'

'Your dancing scolarship you worked years for, he took it.'

Taemin laughed. 'Very funny...not.'

'Guess he feels slightly guilty since he doesn't even dare to say it to your face.' Hyuk chuckled.

'Is this true?' Sungmin asked Kyu.

Kyu stared at Hyuk, then sighed before turning to Sungmin. 'I guess.' He shrugged.

'B-but he doesn't even dance.' Taemin whispered his eyes seeking help in his two friends.

'Indeed, it's bull , Tae, don't worry.' Minho said.

Sungmin remained silent.

'Sungmin?' Taemin asked softly.

'Well, actually, Hae is quite the dancer. I thought he stopped doing it in public though.'

Hyuk was about to speak up gleefully but was pulled away by a paling Kyu. 'That's enough for now, Hyuk.' Kyu said as they distanced themselves.

 

'Oh that was great! Did you see their faces?' Hyuk laughed as he let himself fall onto his bed.

'Yeah, you look really happy, Hyuk.' Kyu mocked as he saw the bitter lines beneath the monkey's fake smile.

'I know, I know. I'm so great. I bet he's crying his pathetic eyes out as we speak.' Hyuk said loudly.

Kyu saw Hyuk bite his lip and he knew. He just knew his best friend was not happy at all. 'Hyuk...' He started but was interrupted by said boy's cell phone.

Hyuk smiled as he read the incoming text out loud. 'Someone filmed me and leaked it to Mr. Park. Did you do this? Donghae.' Hyuk immediately started replying. Kyu was reading over his shoulder: One down, two to go.

Kyu swallowed and tried to control his disbelief as he stared from the words to his friend. He was about to comment but then he noticed Hyuk's trembling hands.

 

Donghae tried to call Taemin for an hour now but the younger refused to pick up. Min angrily threw his phone on his bed and kicked his closet hard. The next second he jumped onto his bed and quickly grabbed his phone as it received a message.

'I'm so so sorry.'

Taemin stared at it as he saw his future fading. How was he supposed to tell his eager and supporting parents that their dream was over. That all these years he trained into the night for nothing. That one of his best friends snatched his spot, just like that. He loved Donghae with all his heart but this was beyond his comprehension. His parents and he himself would be heartbroken if he didn't get into the Dance Academy. And without that precious scholarship of Mr. Park's there was no way he could ever get in.

Another text followed.

'Taemin please respond.' Donghae felt ill to his stomach as he anxiously waited. Finally his phone lit up. He quickly read the message and slowly he lost his grip and let it fall onto the ground.

'I can't deal with this right now. Leave me alone.'