Chapter 4

In Focus

The concept the magazine had in mind was centered around the five stages of grief. They wanted to know more about the story of “Vick”. Everyone knew who Vick was as soon as he appeared on a screen, but no one really knew who he was away from the camera. After weeks of talking with his agency and the magazine, Vick finally made the decision that it would be for the best if he did this interview and shoot.

Ever since he was little, Vick had always been a private person and now even more so, since he entered the public eye. Daesung was the one who convinced him to take this opportunity. Solely for the fact that he could show his fans more sides of himself, other than the conceited actor he’s known to be.

He and Daesung sat down the night before to go over the whole concept and story for the shoot. The story is about a young man who had set up a small surprise party for his girlfriend, only to find out that she wasn’t coming because she wanted to end the relationship. The concept of the shoot is how the young man goes through the five stages of grief to deal with the breakup.  The magazine wanted to show its readers the emotional side of Vick in the photo spread, and then discuss his secretive past and personality in the interview.

Despite how much Vick didn’t want to reveal those types of emotions, he thought best to it up and look at it as another acting role, which essentially it was. Challenging yourself was part of an actor’s life, and that’s just what he wanted to do, challenge himself.

 

And so this is what brought him here today.

Vick was dressed in a casual maroon fitted jacket, with a black vest, black tie, and a white long sleeve dress shirt underneath. He also wore fitted dark wash jeans with a black belt, and dark gray suede dress shoes. 

He walked onto the main part of the set that had been made to look like a small loft apartment. The set lights were dimmed to give the effect that the lights were out in the apartment. But the main light source for the room was supposed to be dangling twinkle lights, to set a romantic atmosphere.

The room was decorated in a way that he had never seen before. Imagine the typical cheesy party necessities like streamers and balloons but add the sophistication a candle light dinner, and you had this set. He stood in awe for a moment just to soak every fine detail in. From the exposed faux brick that lined the walls down to the small Victorian design etched into the table in the center of the room. This was one of the most stunning sets he had ever been on.

Jiyong walked up behind him and said, “Beautiful isn’t it.”

Vick still lost in thought simply whispered, “Yes…” Then remembering where he was and turned around abruptly, almost colliding with Jiyong. He stepped back to distance himself and asked, “What first.”

Jiyong slightly smiled at the man, appreciating his eagerness to get down to business, making him question his original impression of Vick.  He motioned toward the fake door in the right-hand corner of the room and began to direct Vick into different stances and angles. He finally got him standing the way he wanted and with the click of the shutter, the photo shoot had begun.

 

Jiyong always liked to shoot the pictures in the order the story was written, almost like watching a play. He thought this would be the best way for the model to progress through the emotions that the story required. With that in mind, he started off the story with the young man waiting anxiously for his girlfriend by the door. From there he progressed to the young man receiving “the call” from his girlfriend.

After those to scenes were out of the way the true concept began with stage one, Denial. Jiyong paused, asked for hair and makeup to do some touch ups and then continued the shoot. He wanted to change up the wardrobe a bit so he asked Vick to loosen his tie but do it in character. Vick nodded in acknowledgement as Jiyong brought the camera back up to his face and started clicking away.

After about an hour and a half passed, and numerous directions for Vick, they had only gotten through two of the five stages and Jiyong was getting frustrated. He tried using countless tactics to get the emotion he wanted, but he realized that only one way would work. Something he liked to call a "one’s session". He lowered his arms and turned to his assistant. As soon as the two locked eyes he knew that Seungri was thinking the same thing.

Everyone in the room looked at the two men, wondering what had caused the sudden pause in the shoot. Seungri ignored the stares and just talked to his boss knowing what he wanted to do next.

"Sir, are you sure you want to do this on such a tight schedule?"

"It’s because of the tight schedule. I think if we do a one’s session, we can work more efficiently,” Jiyong sighed.

 

Vick spoke up with a slightly agitated voice and said, "Um... excuse me, but what the hell is a one’s session and why do we need to do it. Is there something wrong with my acting?"

Jiyong turned to the man and tried to say explain his sudden stop.

“I'm just not getting the emotions I want. So sometimes I do a one’s session with the model. I ask everyone to leave the building so the model and I can have some one on one time. I rarely do it, but I think it needs to be done. You'll understand when we start." He turned back to everyone and announced that it was now a closed set. "Just go grab a bite to eat and come back in an hour and a half and we'll be done."

You could almost see the question marks popping up above everyone’s heads, as they looked at one another.

Jiyong could feel his extra shots of espresso starting to wear off from earlier and he was getting impatient. He raised his voice and said, “Leave. Now. This is a closed set, so I want everyone out in less than a minute, ok?”

At that, the entire studio was chaos for a few seconds as everyone scrambled to grab their bags and purses and run out the door. Vick sat on the couch and watched in awe at how fast everyone left.

Once the last person was out the door, Jiyong turned and walked over to Vick. He grabbed a chair on his way over and set it down right in from on him. For some reason Vick’s heart started to pound faster, whether it was from the mass chaos that just happened or the fact that he was now alone with Jiyong, he didn’t know. But him coming closer did not help his situation, so he sat there quietly awaiting an explanation.

Jiyong looked at Vick and could see he was very confused and that’s the last thing he wanted a model to be. So he began to explain how a one’s session worked.

“Ok from here on out I’m going to ask you personal questions. Forget about this character you’ve created, I want ‘you’ as in Vick, in this situation. All I’m looking for are the emotions. I want you to think about them and how you felt in whatever situation you think of. I also want you to think out loud and explain to me what you are thinking of. You don't have to give me specifics, but if I hear something that I think will help you progress emotionally, I will ask you to explain further. Which means you might have to reveal some personal stuff but I promise we are the only ones here and nothing will ever leave this room.”

Vicks face fell at the thought of telling a stranger anything personal, but for some reason when he looked at Jiyong, he looked like someone who genuinely wanted to help him. He didn’t want him to know how uncomfortable he was with talking about the past, so he decided to reply with a typical smart comment.

“Yeah whatever, let’s just get this over with.” He scooted to the edge of the couch, leaned toward Jiyong and whispered, “But nothing will leave this room, got it?”