Chapter 16

In Focus

Ok everyone... This is something that I have had written since almost the beginning. I've been building up to this for so long and its been hard to not say anything to anyone.

I hope this chapter will mean as much to you as it does to me.

So with out further ado...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Your father just called me.” Vicks eyes widened as he looked at him to explain further.

“He told me that your mother is in the hospital.”

As soon as Daesung finished his sentence Vick was out the door.

Daesung looked toward Jiyong with sad eyes and said, “I don’t know what has happened to his mother.”

Jiyong moved forward and was about to speak but Daesung cut him off, “I know what you mean to Vick, but as of now I can’t bring you with us to the hospital. But I beg you, if you love him- yes I’ve seen the way you look at him when you think no one is watching… please just be here for him. He needs you most in his life right now.”

Jiyong stood there stunned that Daesung knew his feelings for Vick, but he finally nodded agreeing with him. Daesung nodded back and said, “Ok well I have to go. I’ll try and get in touch with you if I can, to let you know what’s going on, but I can’t promise you anything.”

“I understand.”

Jiyong escorted Daesung out the door and shut it behind the retreating man. He leaned his head against the door and said a silent prayer for Vick and his mother.

 

 

 

Ring Ring Ring

Ring Ring Ring

Vick was waiting for Jiyong to answer his phone, but he didn’t know how long he could hold on. He was about to collapse any minute if the younger man didn’t answer his phone.

 “Hello?”

Finally after what was only a couple seconds Jiyong picked up the phone. But Vick didn’t know what to say once he did.

“Hello?  Vick? You there?”

He took a deep breath and tried to control his voice as much as possible as he said, “Hey, umm… I was wondering if I could come over.” His emotions almost escaped him so he paused to collect himself. The young man on the other end answered during the pause, “Sure, of course. Is everything ok?”

Vick too another deep breath and answered quickly, “I just need someone to talk to and really you’re the only person who I have. I’ll be over in 10 minutes, is that ok?”

“Yeah sure. I’ll leave the door unlocked so just come on up when you get here.”

“Ok.” Vick hung up and started walking faster. Truth be told he was already on his way over to Jiyongs apartment before he even called. He needed to see him and talk to him. Jiyong was the only person who he wanted to be around right now after what had just happened.

Out of habit, he knocked on the front door when he arrived. He heard a footsteps coming towards him and a voice saying, “I said it would be unlocked, so why don’t you-“

Jiyong opened the door and when he saw Vick, he whispered the rest of his sentence, “-come on in…”

 

When Vick locked eyes with Jiyong, it was his undoing. He let a couple tears fall as he staggered into the apartment only to crumble to the floor. Jiyong scrambled to catch him as he said, “Woah, Vick! What happened?” The older man’s shoulders started to tremble, so Jiyong kneeled down and put his arms around him.

They sat in his hallway for 15 minutes as Vick cried. Jiyong had never seen anyone cry like this before, let alone someone he cared deeply for. Every time Vick tried to catch his breath he would breakdown even more, breaking Jiyongs heart. When Jiyong heard him starting to quiet down, he grabbed Vicks hand and held it is his.

Vick squeezed the younger man’s hand thankful that he was by his side. He turned to look at the younger man wanting to say something, but words escaped him yet again. Jiyong stared at Vick noticing how puffy his eyes were, tearstains running down his face, and just so much pain. He brought his hand up to Vicks face to wipe away a stray tear and whispered, “How about we move to the couch. I’ll make us some tea, ok?”

The older man nodded as Jiyong helped him up and to the living room. Once he got Vick settled he went to make the tea, but as he was doing so his mind was full of so many things.

What had happened? Was his mother ok? Did Daesung tell him to come here? How could he help Vick?

While thinking those questions, all Jiyong could see was the face Vick had as he entered the apartment. His heart shattered in that moment, seeing his friend so distraught.

After getting to know Vick more, Jiyong was drawn to the older man, and vice versa. They had told each other everything, well at least Jiyong knew he had told Vick everything about himself. They talked about friends, or lack thereof, and about past relationships. Jiyong told Vick about him being gay, and the struggles of dealing with that. He told him about his parents, his family problems, his childhood, and his awkward high school years. He told Vick about everything, but as of right now he didn’t know if Vick did the same. And by the looks of it, he hadn’t.

As he poured the tea, he realized why he was becoming so emotional over his friend. It wasn’t that he was sympathetic, or that he felt bad for his friend. No it was because he was feeling just as much pain as Vick, without even knowing what had taken place at the hospital. Just the fact that Vick was in any sort of pain or heartache made Jiyong feel it too.

It was because he was truly in love with Vick.  

He didn’t have time to dwell on how long he felt this for his friend. He knew he liked Vick but it was only now that he realized that his crush had turned into love. But right now he couldn’t think of himself or his feelings. He had to go comfort Vick and be there for him, nothing more. So he grabbed to mugs and walked out to the living room.

 

Vick wiped his face with the back of his hands to get rid of the excess tears. Jiyong lowered a mug in front of his face and said thank you as he took it from him. He could feel the couch sink lower as Jiyong sat next to him with his own mug against his lips.

They sat there for a while, drinking the hot soothing tea. Not speaking. And that’s why Vick came to Jiyongs, because he knew the young man would not pressure him to speak. He loved that about him, letting him take his time, but now he was finally ready to explain.

Vick put his mug on the coffee table and turned toward Jiyong. His heart started pounding and he felt like he was going to be sick, but he took a deep breath and said, “So, you probably have a lot of questions.”

“Yes, but only if you want to talk about it.”

“I do. But I just don’t really know where to start.”

“It’s ok, take your time.”

Vick looked at Jiyong and for once, he didn’t get nervous by doing so. In fact when they locked eyes with one another, Vick saw something in the younger mans that gave him the strength to carry on.

“Ok well first you’re probably wondering about my mother’s health.” Jiyong nodded.

“She’s fine actually. It seems that she fainted because of low blood sugar. They’re keeping her overnight for observation but she should be released tomorrow.”

“Well that’s good, isn’t it?”

Vick lowered his eyes as he said, “Yes. Don’t get me wrong, I am so thankful that it was nothing more serious. It’s just… She…” Vick let out a frustrated groan and he ran his hands over his face. All the emotions he had felt moments ago were starting to surface again.

Jiyong reached out and put his hand on the older man’s knee just to remind him that he was there. Vick tried to compose himself as best as he could and then finally started explaining the real reason he had come over so late at night.

“Let me start from the beginning. Remember when we had the photo shoot and I told you about my parents’ divorce, my mothers’ remarriage and the trouble I had living with them.”Jiyong nodded.

“And remember how I told you that I ended up leaving to go live with my father.” Again Jiyong nodded.

“Well I can’t remember if I ever told you, this but I haven’t spoken to her in over 5 years. When I started getting more famous, she called me one day to tell me how she didn’t want to be burdened by me. People would come up to her, asking questions and what not. And finally she got so frustrated by the whole situation that she started denying that she even had a son. She already hated me for leaving to go live with my dad, but I guess over the years she just became a bitter woman.”

Vick let his voice trail off. Jiyong could see that there was so much pain behind his eyes, and as he looked more closely, Vick looked like he had gone back to his high school mid set. Sitting on the couch was not the 26 year old actor Jiyong had come to know. Instead he saw a 16 year old boy who was emotionally scared because of his mother’s abandonment.

Vick took another deep breath and continued talking, “Tonight, when I went to go see her… do you want to know what she said to me?”

Jiyong saw tears forming in the corners of Vick’s eyes and he said, “She looked me straight in the eye and said, ‘What are you doing here? Only family is allowed to visit, and as far as I know, I have no family.’”

A tear fell from Vick’s face and he shook his head trying to clear his thoughts. “I should have known she would be like that. I should have known.” He let out another frustrated groan, stood up and started pacing back and forth, as he continued, “Why did I get my hopes up? You know I actually thought on the way to the hospital that for once something good could come out her being sick. I thought maybe… just maybe, that if she had a near death experience or something, she would forgive me. She would see how she did wrong by me.” Vick gave a small chuckle. “I honestly thought that when I walked into her room she would open her arms like she did when I was a kid. We would both apologize for our past mistakes, and we could finally become a family again. But no… she didn’t even want to ing look at me! My own mother…” Vick choked the last phrase out as he sat back down next to Jiyong with his face in his hands.”

Jiyong scooted closer to him and started rubbing his back to soothe him. He honestly didn’t know what to say, but he thought it would be best to just let Vick know that he was here and he would stay by his side.

After a couple minutes Vick turned to Jiyong saying, “I umm… I actually have something else to tell you. After this whole ordeal with my mother, it made me realize that…” He paused because he thought his heart was about to beat out of his chest from nervousness. Vick cleared his throat and carried on, “If… you… were ever in an accident, and I never had the chance to say this to you… I would regret of for the rest of my life.”

Jiyongs heart started racing as he thought to himself, Was this really it? Is Vick about to tell him who he really is?

“Wh-what is it?” Jiyong stuttered.

“When I was younger, my family moved around a lot, as you might recall. I never was able to become close with anyone, never have any friends. But when I was in middle school, I had the chance to make one friend.” Vick reached over and placed Jiyongs hand in between his and stared at their joined hands.

Jiyong could tell that he was extremely nervous because he could feel Vicks hands, clammy and shaking.

“This friend I had, was like a brother to me. We did everything together, spent every moment we could together. But one day he disappeared. He and his family moved without telling anyone. He was everything to me back then. Now years later, we met again. And after spending time with him I realized that he still means everything to me. But I don’t know if he remembers who I am… Jiyong…I-I’m… my nam-”

Vick paused to build up his courage some, but Jiyong decided to speak up. He reached up with his other hand and brought Vicks chin up so he could look him in the eye as he spoke. And what he said took Vick off guard completely.

“Seunghyun…”Vicks eyes bugged out as Jiyong said his name. “Seunghyun, I know who you are.”

Vick in his breath and stared at the younger man. His emotions were on over drive at this point, with random thoughts popping up in his head.  Jiyong knew who he was. He knew, and he didn’t look disappointed at who he had become. He had become his best friends over these last few months and he accepted all of his faults. He was always there for him, just like he was now.

But the one thought that kept pushing its way to the front of his mind was that he was in love with the man before him. And now that they both knew who each other were, Vick decided it was time to lay everything out. He had one more thing he wanted to tell Jiyong.

Vick felt like a huge weight had been lifted off his shoulder and he started to tear up again, but Jiyong was not going to let him. He grabbed the older man’s face with both hands and just looked into his eyes. Vick tried to shy away but he hardened his grip, keeping their eyes locked with one another’s. A stray tear fell from Vicks eyes and Jiyong’s thumb was right there to wipe it away.

Vicks was looking all over Jiyongs face for any sign of emotion, but he couldn’t find anything definitive. His heart was beating out of his chest, his hands were sweating like crazy, and his mind was clouded with thoughts of the man in front of him.

Finally he couldn’t take it anymore.

He in his breath and moved his head closer to Jiyong, looking at his lips. Just before they touched, Vicks eyes flicked back up to Jiyongs. The young man’s eyes had widened and were filled with… anticipation?

Before he could lose his nerve, Vick closed the gap between them, pressing their lips together. Vick was waiting for Jiyong to resist him, but he felt no such thing. In fact he felt the young man press into the kiss more.

Their lips moved across one another’s, deepening as Vick brought his hand up to hold Jiyongs cheek.  Jiyong scooted closer to Vick on the couch and moved his hand up to finger through Vicks hair. Vick, shocked at the sudden advancement of Jiyong, pulled away first. He rested his forehead against Jiyongs and all they could hear was the sound or each other panting.

Jiyong stomach dropped when Vick stopped the kiss. He removed his hands from the older man’s hair and started mumbling, “I...I’m... I’m sorry… I thought that-“

Before he could finish his sentence, Vicks lips were once again pressed against his. This kiss lasted shorter than the first, but as their lips parted Vick whispered, “Never apologize for kissing me.”

Jiyong bit his lip as they moved slightly father apart to look at each other, both of them slightly flushed.

“And please for the love of God, stop biting your lip.” Vick said as a smile smiled spread across his face.

Jiyong turned a shade darker at Vicks words. His mind was spinning from the, not one, but two kisses that they had just shared. He was on cloud nine with his stomach doing flip after flip as they sat there reveling in the aftermath of what just took place.

After about a minute Vick turned to Jiyong and said, “Sorry if I took you off guard, but I have been wanting to do that for a long time now.”

Jiyongs eyes widened, “You mean kiss me? You’ve been wanting to kiss me?”

Vick laughed. “Yes you moron,” he said as he brought his hand up to ruffle Jiyongs hair, trying to break some tension. Jiyong gave a small awkward chuckle.

“But I… umm… I didn’t know…I didn’t think you… were…”

“Were what… That I was attracted to you?”

“Well yeah… I thought you were straight…”

“Only Daesung knows that I’m not.”

Vick let that hang in the air for a little bit, then Jiyong spoke up.

“So what does this mean?” He motioned between them, referring to the kiss.

“Well I understand if you don’t want to, because this is a lot to take in at the moment. But I was hoping… I don’t know… maybe we could starting seeing each other. But only if you wanted too.” Vick gave a little frustrated sigh and continued talking, “What am I saying, I just sort of told you I liked you. And that I want to start dating but I don’t even know if you feel the same way… I have no idea what I’m doing.”

Vick leaned back into the couch, covering his face with his hands from embarrassment. Jiyong laughed at the older man and he heard Vicks muffled voice say, “Great now you’re laughing at me.”

Jiyong leaned closer to him and slowly brought down Vicks’ hands away from his face as he whispered into his ear, “Rambling…”

Both men laughed and then Jiyong continued, “Now I know how you feel when I do it.”

Vick looked to Jiyong and all he could do was smile at him.

Jiyongs heart started beating faster as Vick looked at him and finally he got up the courage to give Vick his answer. He leaned in and softly brushed his lips against the older mans, trying to convey the love that he felt for him. He could feel Vick smiling under the kiss and as Jiyong pulled back, he asked, “So is that a yes?”

Jiyong chuckled, “Yes.”