Chapter 14

In Focus

For the rest of the day Jiyong scrambled about with thoughts of what the night could hold. And when 7 o’clock came around he was running around his house trying to clean every last corner. He pulled out a few movies that he had and placed them on the coffee table. Once he was done with everything he could think of, he sat on the couch and waited for Vick to arrive. His heart was beating out of his chest due to nerves and when he finally heard the doorbell ring, he jumped about three feet in the air.

He opened the door to find Vick holding a six pack of beer as he said, “Hope you don’t mind, I’ve always enjoyed beer when eating pizza.”

“No, that actually sounds good. Come on in.”

They walked to the living room and Vick set the beer down next to the movies. Vick picked them up and started going through them as Jiyong asked what kind of pizza they should order. Vick said he didn’t care as long as he could eat, he was starving. Jiyong nodded and said, “Ok, well I like Hawaiian so I’ll get that and just a pepperoni, ok?”

Vick chuckled and mumbled under his breath, “He still like the same pizza…”

“What was that?”

“I said that sounds good.”

Jiyong looked at Vick, knowing that that wasn’t what he really had said, but he shrugged it off and ordered anyway.

While they waited for the pizza to arrive they debated on what movie to watch for the night. They kept going back and forth on a handful of movies and finally decided on an action movie they both hadn’t seen in a while.

They opened some beers and talked about how the rest of their day went. Vick went through some last minute things for the fan event tomorrow. Jiyong talked about how the meeting went.

“Seungri was so pissed at me for being late. You should have seen his face.”

“Sorry for making you late.”

“No it’s fine. I told him what happened. He understood.”

They sat in silence for a minute until the doorbell rang signaling the pizza had arrived. Jiyong went to go pay as Vick set up the movie. Jiyong walked back into the living room and heard the trailers playing from the dvd as he set the pizza down. They grabbed their food and settled down on the couch next to each other ready to relax and enjoy their time together.

 

The movie was about half way through when Vick felt a slight weight on his shoulder. Already knowing what it probably was, he looked down to find Jiyong asleep on his shoulder. Vick smiled and thought how much Jiyong must be tired if he can fall asleep at a time like this. He tried not to move around too much as he settled into the couch so Jiyong could keep on sleeping.

He was surprised that the younger man slept through the entire rest of the movie, but he didn’t mind as long as he got to spend time with him.  Trying not to wake him, Vick reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone to check the time. It was getting close to 11:30 and he had to be up early the next morning, but when he looked to the sleeping man on his shoulder he thought he could stay for a couple more minutes.

Carefully he reached for Jiyongs head and brought it down into his lap, trying to make him more comfortable as he slept. Jiyong jostled around for a second and Vick thought he had woken him, but he nestled into his new position and continued to sleep.

Vick took this rare opportunity to carefully study every little detail of the younger man’s face. He couldn’t put into words how much this man had changed him in these last few weeks. All their time together had meant the world to Vick and what made him happier was that he had finally found someone who liked him for him. Someone who was able to put up with his bipolar-like personality changes and was there to listen when he needed to talk.

 As he took in every feature of Jiyong, he absentmindedly started to trace the contours of the sleeping man’s face. His fingers ghosted over his cheekbones and eyes. Vicks heart started racing at the thought of what it would feel like to have those eyes look at him at this moment. His fingers moved over to trace his nose and then down to his lips. He stopped himself before he could even think of anything relating to the younger mans lips and what they would feel like.

Vick chuckled and said to himself, “You have no idea… the things you do to me.”

He brushed some of the younger man’s hair out of his closed eyes and then started combing his fingers through it while he talked to him.

“I wish I had the courage to tell you this while you’re awake…but remember when we first met at the shoot and you asked me what real name was…” He took a deep breath and thought it was still hard to say it even now while Jiyong slept. “My name is Seunghyun… Choi Seunghyun.”

He let the confession hang in the air for a minute. It was the first time he had said his real name in a very long time and it felt strange to have said it while no one was listening. He sighed and continued talking, “And you might not remember, but I’m almost positive, we were childhood friends. When I was in middle school…I met this boy. He would always sit under a tree and draw… He wouldn’t talk to anyone… except for one day when I went up to him. Some other kids were bullying him and I stopped them and… we just became friends.”

Vick let out a sigh as he thought back to all the times he and Jiyong had spent together as children. It was the brightest time of his life. Because after Jiyong had left, his life went spiraling down.

“I know you didn’t have a choice when you left suddenly, all those years ago, but I’m glad you came back. It’s amazing… the career you’ve created for yourself. I knew back then that you would have some sort of job involving art. The only thing I didn’t count on… was what kind of person I turned into. I hate how I’ve become rude and arrogant and a person not many people like. But I guess that’s just how I dealt with the sudden fame. People would always ask personal questions and after the hundredth time, I would snap. I found out that if I acted more cold to people they would be less likely to ask questions or talk to me, so I just kept on acting like that.”

Vick looked down to make sure Jiyong was still sleeping, which he was, and continued, “But then when we had the photo shoot and you and I talked… You listened. You didn’t judge me, you cared… you genuinely cared about how I felt. I hadn’t experienced that in so long… guess that’s why I wanted to become friends with you. But then when I left for Japan, I had this dream about my childhood and… and… I realized it was you. I don’t really remember how I put it together actually… but I know it’s you. You’re my Jiyong, my best friend Jiyong, from all those years ago.”

He kept combing through Jiyongs soft hair as he went on, “And when I realized who you were, I thought about who I had become and what a disappointment I would be if you ever found out. That’s why I haven’t said anything. I don’t want to see disappointment in your eyes when you look at me. If I ever saw that… I wouldn’t know what to do. That’s why I decided to change. I want to become a better person for you. So when the day comes and I can tell you who I am…” He took a deep breath and closed his eyes as he finished, “And how I feel about you…”

Again he let the words hang in the air, with the sound of his racing heart joining them.

“I hope the day will come soon… when you can accept all of me.”  

Vick let Jiyong sleep in his lap for a few more minutes until he looked at his phone again and saw that it was midnight. He took in Jiyong’s peaceful face one last time and then gently shook the younger man’s shoulders to wake him up.

Jiyong groaned at the sudden onslaught of movement, but when he heard a deep voice whisper, “Jiyong, I have to leave now.” His eyes shot opened and he scrambled to sit up.

“Oh my god! I am so sorry! How much of the movie did I miss? What time is it?”

Vick chuckled, “Rambling… You fell asleep about halfway through and its midnight right now.”

Jiyong grabbed his phone just to make sure he had heard right and said, “Why didn’t you wake me up earlier. You have to be somewhere in the morning.”

“Its fine. You looked so exhausted that I didn’t have the heart to wake you. But now I really do need to head home.”

“Oh ok… sorry that this wasn’t much of a movie night.”

“Don’t worry about it. We can try to have a better one next time.”

Jiyong’s heart skipped a beat at the thought of having Vick over again.

“Ok… next time…” Jiyong brought up his hand to cover his mouth as he yawned.

Vick laughed and said, “Well I better get going so you can go back to sleep. I’ll call you when I get back into town.”

Jiyong nodded and both made their way to the door.

“Have a good time. Don’t get into too much trouble.”

“I’ll try not to.” Vick smiled at Jiyong and just like he did this morning, he ruffled Jiyongs hair.

This time Jiyong spoke up and asked, “Why do you do that?”

Taken aback at the sudden question, Vick stopped and left his hand atop the younger man’s head and said, “Oh… umm… I don’t know.” Embarrassed, Vick quickly shoved his hand in his pocket.

“Ok well I’m gonna go now. See ya.” He waved goodbye and rushed down the stairs into the cold, dark night.

Once Vick turned the corner of the building, Jiyong walked back into the house and fell back down on the couch. Laying in the same position that he was just in a few moments ago, save for his missing human pillow.

He closed his eyes and let out a deep breath as he said to the empty room,

“Did you really think I could sleep with you by my side like that…Seunghyun?”

He brought his hand up to his hair and played with it just as the older man had done and drifted back to sleep thinking about Vick’s confession that he wasn’t supposed to hear.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Is it possible to fangirl over your own writing? Because that's what I did the entire time writing this. -dreamertechie