I will not be the rebound.

Of Movie Clichés

 

Tao wakes up, looks at the clock and it's quarter past 5. He's still alone, Kai and Kyungsoo must have been delayed. He rummages his bag for a change of clothes and decides to just take a shower.

He cries under the water, he must have been rash with his decision and he just wants to see Kris now but the jealous boyfriend in him doesn't want to. Tao hears the door outside unlock and it must have been Kai and Kyungsoo so he finishes himself up quickly to meet them outside.

Tao is fully dressed now but he feels like a bucket of cold water is poured over him when he finds Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Kai, Kyungsoo and Kris in the living room.

"Why are you here?!" Tao screams, Kris walks forward but the younger only yells again, "Don't come near me!"

"Tao, come on. We need to talk." Kris walks forward and Tao just backs away. Kyungsoo pulls on the taller's arm, "Kris-hyung, that won't help. Tao, stop screaming."

"Look, Tao. You got it all wrong. Kris never cheated on you!" Chanyeol speaks, Tao only glares at him, "And how would you know!?"

"Tao, I train under him. We were together all the time. Didn't he tell you?"

Baekhyun gets closer to Tao and pulls him on the couch, "Sit down. You will listen to Chanyeol, you will listen to Kris. We'll call Luhan-hyung if you want his side of the story too."

Tao starts to cry, "But I don't wanna see anyone, I don't wanna listen to anyone..."

Kris hates it when Tao cries, he kneels in front of the boy and whispers, "Tao, please. I don't wanna wake up tomorrow without you with me. Just listen to us, please."

Tao looks up to see Kris looking at him - eyes sincere and begging for understanding, "Talk... Both of you." The raven haired boy looks up at Chanyeol who scurries from where he's standing to kneel next to Kris and look at Tao, the lanky boy starts,"Listen, okay? If possible, we don't need the rest of the guys to learn about this situation. As far as I know, Lay, Joonmyun, Jongdae and Minseok are peacefully unaware of this."

Kris places his hands on Tao's knees only to be swatted away, "Don't touch me... I haven't forgiven you yet." The younger sniffles and Kris pulls back his hands and rest them on his own knees.

"I'm gonna prepare something to drink for everyone, okay? Kai, come on. Help me." Kyungsoo announces then pulls his boyfriend to the kitchen, Baekhyun stays and sits next to Tao, "Just hear them out, okay? I am sure you missed Kris too, and you don't really wanna break it off with him."

Tao glares at Baekhyun then turns to the two tall guys in front of him, "You can both start explaining now." And explaining the two of them did - except Chanyeol somehow misses the point of the explanation and ends up telling Baekhyun (not Tao) his training under Kris and Baekhyun had to remind his boyfriend time and time again that he'll hear about it next time and he needs to get to the point.

Kris sighs after telling Tao the last part when he woke up and found Luhan's face in front of him, "I swear, Tao, that's what happened."

"You said so yourself, you barely remember anything that night. You could have slept with him and you wouldn't know!" Tao insists, Baekhyun mentally slaps Tao across the face but he controls himself doing it in real life because, wushu.

"I'm still wearing the same clothes I used during practice when you walked in on us!" Kris tells Tao, his voice obviously being controlled from going higher.

"I can call Sehun, you can talk to Luhan-hyung if you really don't want to believe us." Chanyeol suggest, Tao shakes his head and bows down, "I don't want to talk to him right now."

"There are only three of us involved here, Tao. Chanyeol and I have explained our part, all that's left is hyung..." Kris' voice is softer now as he shifts closer to Tao from his seat on the floor, "But, I'm sorry, Zitao. I should have told you before that he comes over at training, but I didn't want you to worry in China and I'm sorry that I was confident that I'm being loyal to you and nothing will happen, but something did, no matter how misunderstood the situation is. I can't blame you from thinking that way since it's a really compromising position. I'm sorry that I tried to be nice to hyung when maybe I should have been rude so that he'll leave us alone."

"But that's not you... You wouldn't do that." Tao looks up at Kris, tears forming under his eyes. The couple doesn't notice that Baekhyun and Chanyeol has left, pulling Kai and Kyungsoo out of the apartment with them.

"I wouldn't, but I should have. Because now, since I was scared of hurting a friend, I caused pain to the one I love the most."

"Kris..."

"I love you, Tao. You can be angry at me, but don't break up with me because of this. We're stronger than this. Wake up tomorrow with me, Tao. Wake up with me for the rest of our lives."

Tao cries and leans forward to hug Kris, he buries himself on the crook of the older's neck and speaks, "I still don't know if I've forgiven you completely, but I do love you, you idiot..."

Kris pushes Tao off him and kisses him, Tao doesn't protest and Kris takes it as a sign of the younger being passive. The blond sits up from the floor so he is eye-level with his boyfriend as he they continue to kiss. They're about to deepen it when Kai's voice booms from outside the door, "NO IN MY BEDROOM!" The couple pulls apart, smiling.

"Let's go home, Tao-er."

-----

Sehun is preparing their dinner while Luhan is still asleep. It's been a long day for everyone, especially to Luhan and he thinks his bestfriend deserves warm and homemade food.

He thinks that his bestfriend is too mentally exhausted today that he didn't even notice when Sehun left to do the grocery and come back to cook. He gets a phone call later with Chanyeol's name flashing onscreen.

"Hello?"

'Hey, Sehun.'

"What is it?"

'Did you tell the rest of the guys about the break up?'

"Are you stupid? I'm not a tattletale. I called Kai, but Kyungsoo answered. I called you but I'm sure you're with Baekhyun. Aside from the both of you I didn't call anyone. Why?"

'Tao already went home with Kris. They got back together. You should have seen it, man. Kris is cheesy as it's almost gross.'

"Glad I wasn't there. Kris' image will be ruined for me."

'By the way, the others don't have to know about their breakup since they got back together immediately anyway. We still have that beach trip and for sure, it's gonna stress Luhan-hyung more if everybody knew.'

"I know that, Chanyeol. I'm just glad they made up."

'And also, they're about to have in Kai's apartment but Kai just had to stop them.'

"Okay. Too much information. Hanging up now." Sehun ends the conversation and just puts his phone back to his pocket. He continues to chop the vegetables for their dinner.

"So they got back together?"

"Oh! !" Sehun drops the knife and turns around to find Luhan clutching a plush toy by the kitchen's doorway, "You scared me, hyung."

"I'm sorry." Luhan juts his lower lip as he walks to the dining table and sits on it. "What are we having for dinner?"

"Yes. They got back together, and we're having beef stew for dinner."

"What's the occasion? We barely eat something like that. I was kinda expecting some Chinese takeout."

"Let's just say, because I'm back here? And you need comfort food. You're emotionally and mentally exhausted. Chinese takeout won't cure you of those."

Luhan hugs his plush toy tighter, "Do our friends hate me?"

"As far as I know, they don't. And if they do, I will punch them all in the face."

Luhan laughs, the kind of laughter that Sehun missed so much, "Just like in the old days, Sehunah."

"Yeah..." Sehun laughs, "That was such a long time ago. You looked like a 7-year old when you were already 12. I had to protect you all the time."

"I couldn't help it if I'm too adorable and cute."

"I don't blame you for it either."

Luhan doesn't respond for a moment, Sehun continues with his cooking. He waits for it to come to a boil so he sits on the chair in front of Luhan and lies his head on his bestfriend's lap.

"Sehunah?"

"Hmn?"

"Would you ever get tired of trying to protect me?"

"No. Why would I?"

Luhan runs his hand on Sehun's hair, "I'm just wondering, what if you get yourself a lover? Would you still be there for me?"

"Why would I not be?"

"You can't be there for me and your lover at the same time, silly!"

"You're the silly one."

"What?"

Sehun sits up to look at Luhan, "Don't you get it?"

Luhan shakes his head, "Am I supposed to get anything?"

Sehun sighs, "It's you, hyung."

"Me? Me, what?"

"Oh my god. It's you. It's always been you. You're the one I liked, no, loved all this time."
 - is what Sehun wants to say at that moment then he realizes he can't be the rebound, and he can't confess now, not if Luhan is too vulnerable.

"I'm a superhero, hyung! I can do that at the same time." Sehun smiles and Luhan laughs heartily, "That you are, Sehunah. You used to run around the playground with a maroon cape, because the store ran out out of red cloth and you cried to your mom that you need to have that cape immediately."

"Stop laughing! I looked awesome!" Sehun hits Luhan's lap playfully before going back to the stove to turn it off and let the stew simmer.

Luhan jumps off the table and sets it up for the both of them, somehow, being distracted gets his head away from the pain he's feeling and the pain he's inflicted to his friends.

They're both in the middle of their dinner when the doorbell rings, Luhan looks at Sehun, "Are we expecting anyone?"

Sehun shakes his head but stands up to walk to the front door. Luhan follows behind him, plush toy clutched against him once more.

"Why are you here?" Sehun asks their guest, Luhan can't see who it is from his position, so he walks nearer but their guest(s) are already marching inside their home.

"Movie night and sleepover!" Kyungsoo and Baekhyun singsongs, Chanyeol and Kai follow behind them with snacks and drinks.

"I didn't call for a movie night nor a sleepover. Get out of here! We're having dinner!" Sehun pulls on Chanyeol and Kyungsoo's arms, Kai swats him so he'll let his boyfriend go while Baekhyun growls at him.

"Uhm, what's happening?" Luhan finally speaks, their newly-arrived friends smile at him. Kyungsoo speaks for them, "You feel bad, hyung. Right? And don't worry, we aren't angry at you. All of us kind of... Know where you're coming from. Tao and Kris are okay now but we have to fix you, too. We are, afterall, your friends and just like before, no taking of sides."

Luhan looks like he's about to cry again, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo run up to him to give him a hug. "Hyung, don't cry! Don't cry!" Baekhyun pats Luhan's back, Kyungsoo murmurs comforting words.

Sehun scratches the back of his neck, "Well, looks like you're here for good intentions, so fine. You can all stay especially you, Kai. I owe you that much."

"Don't mention it. I loved how OC you were. I didn't know my apartment could be that clean!" Kai grins at Sehun, "You can work as my cleaning guy, you want?"

The youngest flips his middle finger at Kai who just laughs it off as he and Chanyeol goes to the kitchen to put down the snacks as well as place the drinks in the refrigerator for later consumption.

"You cooked?" Kai asks Sehun and the latter nods, "You really should come work for me!"

"Why? You hate Kyungsoo-hyung's cooking now?"

"You hate my cooking?!" Kyungsoo's eyes widen after hearing Sehun's question (the three of them decides to eat dinner thus walking back altogether to the kitchen), Kai shakes his head quickly and flips his finger at Sehun before facing Kyungsoo again, "No! You're food is the best! I was just teasing Sehun that he can make a great housekeeper!"

"I can make a good housekeeper too!"

Kai leans over to whisper something on Kyungsoo's ear, "But you're not housekeeper material, love. You're wife material."

"Shut up." Kyungsoo giggles and hits Kai playfully.

-----

It's half past midnight, Luhan is asleep with Baekhyun and Kyungsoo in their room while the other three are in the kitchen drinking their coffee. They need their caffeine intake since they had to endure 2 disney movies and 'Perks of being a wallflower' due to the insistence of the others who are already asleep.

"So, Sehun, when are you planning to confess to him?"

"Don't start, Kai."

Chanyeol crosses his arms across his chest, "Isn't this the right time already?"

"I will not be the rebound." Sehun glares at them then takes a sip of his coffee.

"When are you gonna tell him then?" Kai insists, Sehun shrugs and whispers 'I don't know.'

"Time waits for no one. Love is a fleeting emotion, you don't grab it and it will float away." Kai tells him, Sehun laughs at this, "What? I'm being serious here."

"You? Serious?" Sehun snorts and Kai hangs his mouth open while Chanyeol just bursts in a fit of laughter.

"Whaaat? I'm serious with Kyungsoo!"

Chanyeol heaves as he tries to calm himself then faces Sehun, “I can’t help but agree with him, Sehun. What if you don't tell him, and then he finds someone new?"

"I don't know, okay? I just want him to move on first."

Kai raises an eyebrow, "Can't he move on with you?"

Sehun takes another sip of his coffee, “I just don’t know, okay? And not like you’re gonna let me live this down, so just… don’t tell the others, alright? I know you’ve all been teasing me about this, and there’s even a bet among all of you that I really don’t give about.”

“Tell others what? That’s you’re head over heels in love with Luhan-hyung?” Kai asks, Sehun nods, “Sehun, everyone knows already. You don’t have to keep it. Do you know who’s the only who is still oblivious with all of this?”

Sehun raises an eyebrow; Chanyeol just pats his shoulder because he feels so bad for their maknae. Kai shakes his head out of pity as well, “The object of your undying love is the only one who’s stupid enough to not notice.”

Kai gets hit by a ball of napkin on his face, “I’m the only one allowed to call him stupid.” Kai and Chanyeol laugh but when Sehun sighs, the two of them shuts up.

“I really am hopeless, aren’t I? He’s too close, I literally live with him and yet he’s too far. I’m such a coward when it comes to dealing with my own feelings for him.” Sehun drinks the last of his coffee then cups his chin with his palm, “There were a thousand times that I wanted to tell him that I love him and that he should just forget about Kris-hyung, because it, I’ve been in love with Luhan-hyung for as long as I remember.”

-----

Luhan wakes up from his sleep, feeling a little sticky and warm. He finds Kyungsoo and Baekhyun’s legs and arms draped over him (and each other) so he carefully lifts all the limbs from him then slides off the bed. He opens the bedroom door and doesn’t bother to open the lights in the living room when he finds that the kitchen light is still on and it’s sufficient enough for him to get a glass of water without tripping over the mess they’ve all made when they watched the DVDs.

Luhan didn’t find the other three on the mattress they’ve laid on the floor in the bedroom and when he doesn’t find them in the living room either, he assumes that they’re still awake. ‘They must be telling ghost stories,’ Luhan thought and snickers mentally, ‘This will be so funny.’ He's wearing socks and he's always been light-footed that you can barely hear him walking on the floorboards of their apartment. He wants to scare the three of them if he suddenly walks inside unannounced but what he hears next stops him as he approaches the kitchen.

“--- because it, I’ve been in love with Luhan-hyung for as long as I remember.”

The voice is too familiar that it is almost Luhan’s own. He forgets the whole point of why he’s there at the moment and forgets his plan to scare the three when he runs back to the bedroom and slams the door behind him. Luhan pushes Baekhyun and Kyungsoo to the side a little so he can get on the bed. He covers himself with a blanket and shuts his eyes, hoping he can go back to sleep even with his racing heart.

 

----------------------------------------------------------


Author's Notes: How do you guys like it? And i dont know if you even bother reading the synopsis, but i changed it (again!) and this time it fits the story more now, because honestly, the first synopsis was how it really was supposed to be (then i ran out of movies i can fit in here) and the second edit, well, i wasnt able to explain it clearly and hopefully this time is the last time i change the synopsis. AND I AM TALKING NONSTOP.

carry on then, my lovelies. <3