|| Nine ||

When Night And Day Become One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pottery class ended too soon and there was still one more month before classes would start. The summer that was shaping out to be the best was already starting to fizz out. Or maybe I was just being dramatic because I could no longer see Kai daily.

After the pottery class ended, we didn't have a reason to meet anymore. He was my friend, but he wasn't the same. He wasn't Hannah, whom I could call anytime I want. He wasn't Lu Han, whom I could see if I yelled from my window. Instead, he was Kai, the unattainable apple of my eye. Ugh.

The door to my room suddenly opened, interrupting my thoughts. Chris walked in and threw me a pair of bathing suit. "Dress up. We're going swimming," he said, already on beachwear himself.

I examined the two-piece between my fingers and scrunched my nose. "Dude no."

Chris snickered. "Too afraid to show everyone your figure?"

I glared at Chris as I threw him the two-piece that Mom bought. "My figure is fine, thank you very much."

"Says the girl with two backs," he said and bent over laughing at his commentary.

I threw a pillow at his face with all the force I could muster. "!"

Chris easily caught it in his hands and threw it back to me. "Be down in ten minutes, okay?" And with that, he left.

With T-shirt and Jeans on, I glanced at myself in the mirror.

Says the girl with two backs, Chris remark echoed in my head.

I scowled in annoyance. The nerve of my brother! I look freaking fine!... Right?

I slowly turned around and examined myself closely in the mirror. You look fine. I said again to myself, more determined. I sighed. Chris' words still stung.

On my way out, my eyes lingered on Lu Han's window, wondering for a second where the guy was. I suddenly found myself wishing for Lu Han to pull his pranks on Chris, even just for today. Though it might not do much since Lu Han's pranks were harmless, still, I would like for Chris to experience a fraction of the bad vibes he gave me today.

I stood there for another second before conceding that Lu Han wasn't in his room, though I was almost sure I heard noise from his side just before Chris came up. It was for the best, I suppose, that he wasn't. He could be teasing me the very same words Chris said had he heard it.

Twenty minutes later, we were on the beach, and so were most of the town it seemed. Today turned out to be the town's fiftieth anniversary Mom had talked about before. She had required our full attendance to show support.

"Okay kids," Mom said with a smile. "There will be lots of games and activities today. There's also a bonfire dance beginning at sunset. Now you go and have fun, okay?" Without waiting for our response, Mom dragged our helpless-looking Dad with her to the working committee booth.

Chris shrugged at them and turned to me. "I'm gonna find my friends, wanna come?"

His offer was genuine but at that moment, an image of him and his friends laughing at me suddenly appeared in my head. I could only guess it was coming from my insecurity over the little remark that Chris had said. I sighed and shook my head at him, and then went to stalk off on my own.

I called Hannah on the phone and found out that her entire family who lived in the neighboring town came. Her aunts and uncle needed her to keep an eye on her little cousins. I offered to help, but Hannah refused to tell me where she was at, saying she didn't want to burden me.

I scoffed at the idea of Hannah being a burden to me. I let the issue go though and hang up. I would find her on my own. I was sure it wouldn't be that difficult. I could ask around if it came down to that.

The beach was packed with people, and several mini-stores had been set up just for today. Looking for Hannah in this hot crowded place was like looking for a needle in a haystack. I considered calling Lu Han but decided otherwise, realizing he would hold this over me for a long time.

I turned to go to search in another area when I caught sight of the devil himself from the corner of my eye. He was just a few steps away, walking in front of the mini-stores. His face was focused in front of him, his steps hurried as if he was following someone. On his hand was a water spray with red liquid inside it and I watched with wide eyes as Lu Han sprayed the content in front of him and hid behind a wall, right after.

Curious, I moved towards the same direction as him, carefully keeping my distance and keeping my eyes on his face at the same time. He repeated his little stunt a few more times, successfully hiding behind people or walls right after.

Being an observer this time, it was actually quite entertaining to watch Lu Han doing his trick and trying not to be caught. No wonder our classmates would erupt in laughter whenever he would pull his pranks on me.

On his sixth attempt, Lu Han's expression suddenly changed from being cunning and sneaky to that of being startled and caught. Alarmed, I leveled my gaze toward his target and did a double-take at who I saw.

Chris, whose shirt was now covered with tomato sauce, was looking mighty annoyed at Lu Han.

I inched closer, just in time to hear Chris say, "What the hell, Lu Han?"

Lu Han just shrugged, beaming at Chris innocently and turning to go away. But not before he sprayed tomato sauce on Chris' face.

I doubled over with laughter as I watched Lu Han walked out on a very much angry-looking Chris. I only had enough time to duck before Lu Han came my way with a wicked grin on his face, clearly satisfied with himself.

"That's for insulting your sister," Lu Han muttered to himself as he passed my way.

My heart skipped a beat as I stared at his retreating back in surprise. How did he...?

I found myself following Lu Han. A couple of paces later, he disappeared from my view because of the growing crowd. Frantic, I craned my neck around for him. Disappointment started to trickle inside me when someone whispered, "Boo!" in my ear, sending shivers down my spine.

Clutching my heart, I spun around to glare at the obvious culprit but my menacing look melted away at the sight of his bright mischievous smile.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter