|| Eighteen ||

When Night And Day Become One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the next few months, I became a walking zombie. Lu Han and Hannah did their best to return the life to my face but I just couldn't get myself to smile. Kai's departure in life had taken its toll on me and I had refused to go out, afraid of getting hurt by the littlest things.

"Yeon! Just when are you going to move on?" Lu Han yelled at me one day while we were walking home. Hannah had asked me to go hang out at the lake, to take a walk after school but I had refused and Lu Han was furious at the fact that I was keeping to myself more and more.

"What do you mean Lu Han? I had moved on," I asked, feigning innocence, knowing fully well that he would see through my lies.

"Really? When you don't even care what I do, what Hannah does, what everyone around you does for that matter?"

I shrugged and kept walking. These days I didn't have the energy to fight with Lu Han.

He sighed in frustration as he matched the rhythm of my steps. "When was even the last time we went to the treehouse?"

I didn't exactly want to go there. Of all places, I was afraid of the treehouse the most. I was afraid that it would do its magic on me, and I would be forced to feel again.

I actually liked the feeling of being numb to everything. It was a defense mechanism, one that sprang out of nowhere ever since Kai left without turning back.

I knew I was basically hurting Hannah, Lu Han, and those who tried to show the slightest of concern. But I didn't care. I didn't want to care. And I was glad my self was finally listening to me.

"Yeon," Lu Han said and reached out to my hand to stop me. "This has to stop, okay?"

He tugged me gently towards him and I almost felt guilty for the hurt look in his eyes when I saw them. Almost.

I gently pried his hands off and just shook my head. There were no other words to say other than I didn't want to. And I had feeling Lu Han wouldn't like that so I chose so kept quiet.

"Yeon. Please."

I glanced at the now orangey sky, away from his pleading gaze. "Let's just go home, okay? The sun is setting. It'll be dark soon."

Instead of giving up like what I had hoped he would do, Lu Han's eyes suddenly shone with determination. "Exactly, Yeon. It's sunset."

Lu Han took my hand again and started pulling me to who knows where. A bad feeling settled at the base of my stomach when I realized we were heading to the forest's entrance by the lake. Of course, I knew where Lu Han was taking me. My feet immediately screeched to a halt upon realizing it we were heading to the treehouse.

I knew Lu Han was trying to let me see what I was missing. But I didn't want to. Because the truth was clear. I didn't want to be healed. I didn't want to begin again because if I did, somewhere along the way, I knew I would get hurt again. If I stayed the way I was now, nothing but an empty shell and numb to complicated feelings, then I wouldn't suffer in any way.

But Lu Han was stubborn and continued dragging me, and since he was the stronger one out of the two of us, I had to continue walking.

We climbed our way towards the treehouse and as fate would have it, we were just in time to see the sunset. I immediately closed my eyes, afraid the beauty before me would get to me and eventually make me realize things.

But Lu Han was stubborn. I think I mentioned that already, but yes he was.

"Yeon, open your eyes," he commanded.

But I shook my head and my eyes remained tightly shut.

I felt Lu Han moved behind me and something warm suddenly touched my ear. "Do you want me to kiss you or are you going to open your eyes?" he whispered so softly his words didn't sound like a threat at all. 

"I don't believe you," I mumbled confidently, still keeping my eyes shut. I knew Lu Han was desperate. He was probably as desperate as I was, only our objectives were total opposites.

The warmth disappeared on my ear and I felt something soft caressing my cheek. Several of my nerves came alive, sending warning signals to my brain. Lu Han was kissing my cheek, for crying out loud.

"You have 5 seconds to open it, Yeon. I'm serious," he said and I could detect no hint of amusement in his voice.

I said nothing, weighing the situation. Is he actually going to kiss me if I don't open my eyes? Would I care if he actually does? And worst of all these thoughts, Why am I suddenly feeling all of these crazy emotions again?

"5," Lu Han began counting. "4."

I could feel my heart beating louder and louder with every number ticked off.

"3."

My mind was screaming already and I was so confused.

"2."

To hell with the I-don't-want-to-move-on crap, I'm not kissing anyone! I instantly opened my eyes before he could say one.

"My eyes are ope- " My words got cut off when I suddenly felt Lu Han's soft lips on mine.

My eyes widened in response while every part of my body refused to move. My heart stopped beating and I had suddenly forgotten how to breathe.

For a moment we stayed in that position, and then as if finally realizing what he had just done, Lu Han pulled away so fast I thought he would fall over.

"I am so sorry, Yeon!" he said, stepping backward, his face crimson red, his eyes reflecting horror. "I didn't... I am... Yeon... Sorry!" He couldn't seem to find the right words.

I couldn't blame him. The incident had rendered me speechless as well. I just stood there, gaping at him in shock, my mouth hanging open, sure that my cheeks were blazing with color.

For the next minute, none of us made a move. We were so shocked to even make a sound. All we could do was stare into each other's eyes and wonder what would happen next.

"Lu Han," I said at the same time he said, "Yeon."

We immediately became silent, looking at opposite directions.

Lu Han cleared his throat and on reflex, my head turned to look at him.

I was surprised at the state of Lu Han's face. It was so red, like tomato red. And he looked so uncomfortable that I suddenly felt the need to speak first.

"Lu Han," I said, forcing myself to keep looking at him, whether he'd look at me or not. "Forget it, okay? I know it was an accident."

"How would you know it was an accident?" he immediately responded, whipping his head to look at me.

His answer surprised me. "So you meant it then?"

I couldn't tell which face was redder, mine or his. In any other situation, I would have laughed out loud by now, but with this kind of atmosphere, I couldn't even dare make so much as a noise.

"No, you're right. It was just an accident," Lu Han agreed. "I'm sor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter