|| Twelve ||

When Night And Day Become One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was right.

My relationship with Lu Han did improve a lot after that little talk in the treehouse. Although I guess it had something to do with Hannah's suggestion as well, which was to look at Lu Han's actions in a different light. Because when I did try, Lu Han's antics weren't really that annoying anymore.

Nothing changed (he still pulled his petty pranks all the time) except for the fact that this time, I wouldn't immediately think that Lu Han was out to ruin my day and instead, that he was just being his usual eccentric self. And that, somehow, actually helped.

The downside of the recent summer though was that I couldn't see Kai that much. He was busy looking up universities and colleges for next year. After all, like Chris, the coming school year would be his last year in senior high school. Kai was going away for college so soon.

The treehouse made up for it though. I didn't know why but the place gets me every time I visit it. It seemed to have certain magical properties that just took all of my bad feelings away.

Lu Han and I had been there a couple of times since the beginning of summer. It had somehow become a special place to the two of us, healing any rift between us whenever our differences collided.

When we weren't at the treehouse, we were at the beach with Hannah. True to our plans, we volunteered as lifeguards during that summer. Lu Han and Hannah got along so well they had these conversations that I didn't really understand. It would always start whenever I talked about Kai.

Lu Han had stopped discouraging my feelings for Kai but that didn't mean he approved of it, either. Once or twice every week, he would say, "You know, Jiyeon, there are a lot of guys out there for you."

To which Hannah would always reply, "Too bad, though, she only wants one senior I know," giving Lu Han this too-bad-for-you look.

Lu Han would huff and pretend to sulk and Hannah would laugh and say she was just kidding.

These were the times that I wished I understood their exchange.

Summer passed, and the new school year began all too soon with the three of us -me, Lu Han and Hannah- entering our last year in junior high school, while Kai and Chris were entering their last in senior high school.

I didn't know what to feel about the fact that my brother would be gone next year for college. I wanted to say I was happy at the prospect of a Chris-less house, but I knew I was lying. and all, I realized that I would truly miss Chris.

"Yeonie?"

Lu Han's excited voice cut through my thoughts as he said my name from his room. It was the first Saturday afternoon since school had started and I already had a feeling what Lu Han wanted.

I moved towards the window to get a better look at him. "When will you ever stop calling me 'Yeonie'?"

Lu Han was grinning, as usual. "Aww, but it's cute, Yeon. You know you like it."

"Like it? I hate it, you mean. It sounds like a child's name."

"But you are a child-"

"Please, I'm sixteen."

"I wasn't talking about age, Yeon," he said, snickering. "I was going to say you are a child, at heart. And looks like I was right."

I scowled. "Can we just go already? The sun is already setting," I said, knowing that was why he called me.

Putting on an impish smile, Lu Han yelled, "Race you!" before disappearing from my view. I could hear his thunderous steps on their stairs.

"Hey! No fair!" I yelled, rushing down as well.

"Where you off to?" Chris asked when I ran into him on my way down.

"Nowhere," I replied, not bothering to slow down.

"Going on a date with Lu Han?"

I could picture the smirk in his voice as I reached the landing. Glaring at him, I said, "It's not a date, . You're just jealous you're stuck in the house because nobody invited you out or something."

Chris scoffed and went on his way towards his room.

I stuck my tongue out at his back and thought that maybe I wasn't going to miss him, after all.

When we got to the treehouse, the sky had just started to turn orange. I took my place at the railing and tried to inhale the beauty in front of me. One week was too long to not have come here since Lu Han and I came here almost every day during the summer.

Looking at us now, leaning at the wooden railings of the treehouse, you would think Lu Han and I were the best of friends. But in truth, we were bickering, again.

"But why can't Hannah see this?" I asked for the nth time. It wasn't the first time I pleaded with him about bringing Hannah here. I also wanted to bring Kai but I knew the suggestion wouldn't go very well with Lu Han since Hannah wasn't even that welcome.

"She has seen the sunset a million times, Yeon," he kept telling me. "She doesn't need to come up here."

"But don't you want to share this magical view with the others?"

"I've already shared it with you. For me, that's enough," he said matter-of-factly as if it was the only thing that mattered in the world. That successfully got me quiet.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter