|| Four ||

When Night And Day Become One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I didn't know what fate was thinking in the past three years. It seemed to be determined in keeping Lu Han and I together, throwing the two of us in every class. And every day was more or less a version of my first day of school.

I couldn't believe Lu Han; he never runs out of ideas. It was like his pool of knowledge when it came to tormenting me was infinite. Why couldn't he use his brain in school instead?

It didn't help that my brother found out about it after some time. You would think he would have some loyalty for his sister, but no, the even supported the jerk.

The only bright side to my chaotic school life was Hannah. I didn't know if it was any coincidence that she showed up in every class Lu Han and I were in; I could only hope fate had pitied me and had decided to give me a helping hand in facing my battles with Lu Han.

Though Hannah didn't really take it as seriously as I did.

"I bet Lu Han just wants you to notice him," was what she said when I complained to her while we were walking home one day, her lips turned up in a knowing smile.

We were a week from the start of summer and I was already excited at all the activities we could do around town. For such a not-so-big town, there were actually lots of things you could do around it. Well, if you know how to look for them.

For example, last summer, Hannah and I worked at the lake's fishing house. The lake became one of the town's main attraction after Hannah's dad established a fishing house where you can rent fishing poles and fish baits. 

Apparently, no one thought of it before, not until they saw Lu Han and his friends teaching a couple of tourists how to fish. Apparently, the jerk could be useful. 

Which brings us back to my frustrations.

"Please! Does Lu Han think I don't notice him?" I told Hannah. "He lives right next to me. He's the first and last person I see! We're practically glued together in school; being in the same class, in the same group, in the same column of seats, sometimes even row! Is that not enough?"

Hannah smiled, somehow amused by my revelation. "Wow, I've also been your classmate for the last three years and I didn't know that. You must have paid a lot of attention to him."

There she goes with her teasing again. "Don't you hear me? This person is the sole reason why I hate school. If it weren't for you, I might have transferred already."

She giggled, looking at me as if I had somehow lost my mind. "You're exaggerating. And it's not like there's another school that you could transfer to."

I just grunted, seeing her point.

"Aaand, Lu Han is perfectly nice, a lot of girls actually like him, you know," she said, nudging me on the word 'like'.

"Do I look like I care? And nice? Nonsense! You've seen what he does to me. He's anything but nice!" I huffed in frustration, looking at her accusingly. "You're not doing a very good job of being a best friend, Hannah. You should be on my side," I whined, and then made a show of stomping. "Waittt, do you like him?"

She just laughed. "Why would I? I would just be setting myself up for heartbreak."

I frowned and eyed her suspiciously. "What does that mean?"

She shrugged and then smiled that knowing smile of hers again.

I sighed, and just kept quiet. Hannah should really try being in my shoes even only for a day. In fact, I would dare anyone to try being me, even just for a single day. Then they would know where all of this frustration is coming from.

"Look who's waiting for you." Hannah nudged me on the side and motioned to the figure besides our gate as we were nearing it. "I told you he's nice."

"And I'm telling you, he's not. He's not standing there for whatever reason you're thinking," I said, and shot a glare at the smiling jerk in front.

The twinkle in Lu Han's eyes when I looked at him made me confused. This was always what I'd get every time we meet. I just didn't get it, whether he was glad to see me or he was just planning something again. With him, you can never tell.

"What do you want?" I said in the iciest voice that I could muster.

He smirked. "And what made you think you're the one I'm waiting for?"

My cheeks grew warm at his comment. I hurriedly left Lu Han and Hannah without another word.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter