|| Eleven ||

When Night And Day Become One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I gasped at the sight of my reflection in the mirror. I had barely gotten a wink of sleep and the dark circles beneath my eyes were enough proof for that.

"Aish, why did I have to waste my night thinking about that jerk?" I chided myself, repeatedly hitting my head. But then when I remembered how sad Lu Han's eyes were, I couldn't help mulling it over again.

I slapped myself on the forehead. "Forget it, Jiyeon. Forget it. Think about school instead! Or Kai! You're going to see him again!"

The thought was enough to convince me. The prospect of seeing Kai somehow made things a little bit better. So I prepared for school with renewed energy.

"I'm going!" I yelled as I got out of the house. Chris had already gone ahead. That inconsiderate brother. I hurried to the gate and skipped off, only to be blocked by Lu Han.

My irritation shot to the heavens at the sight of the cause of my misery.

"What do you want?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"I'm hurt, Yeon. You never greet me properly every morning," he said, clutching his heart for effect. He seemed to be in good spirits already. Wow, talk about mood swings.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Just get to the point, Lu Han. Do you need anything?"

"Not really," he said. "I just want to give you a little heads-up so you can avoid the impending disaster."

Huh? "What are you talking about?"

"If you take back what you said yesterday, things might change."

"You mean when I said I like Kai?"

I didn't know if I was imagining it but I could have sworn Lu Han flinched.

He nodded solemnly. "Yeah, that one. Tell me you're joking."

"What the heck, Lu Han? I'm not taking back anything!"

He shrugged. "Suit yourself," he said, walking away. "Just remember you chose it yourself."

O-kay? That was cryptic and disturbing. Just what is that guy planning?

I dismissed all thoughts relating to Lu Han and proceeded to school. The morning passed with no unusual incidents. I took it as a sign of luck and made my way to the cafeteria with Hannah. A minute later, someone placed his tray of food on our table and sat across me.

My eyes widened in surprise. "Kai, what are you doing here?"

His lips automatically curved into a smile. "Can't a senior eat with his junior?" he asked innocently.

I frantically waved my hands in front of him. "No, that's not what I meant."

He raised an eyebrow, amused. "Then what did you mean?"

"What about that girl?" I said before I could stop my stupid mouth.

He raised an eyebrow in answer.

"That girl on the beach? I..."

I placed my hands back in my lap. "Never mind."

I turned to look at Hannah for help, but she was just staring at me with curious eyes.

Kai chuckled, the gesture lighting up his face. "During the town festival? Those were my cousins. Visiting the town because of the event."

"Oh." I was sure my cheeks were as red as hell.

"I saw you, too, but Lu Han was already dragging you off somewhere before I could call you."

"Oh," I said again, remembering that day's event.

"Go get your food, I'll wait here." He ushered me and Hannah to the line.

"Wow, you really do have it bad for him," she said when we were standing in line for our food. "I've never seen you act like that. Why haven't I noticed this over the summer?"

I blushed and just fiddled with my hands. "Am I that obvious?"

"Hmmm," she said, tapping her chin. "I think that would be a yes."

"What do I do? My heart just skips for no reason at all whenever he's around causing me to be nervous," I explained. "It wasn't this bad during the summer."

"So they say. Absence makes the heart grow fonder," she teased, poking me.

"Hannah," was all I said in response, poking her back.

Hannah was somehow right. The one month gap just made me like him more.

Just when I thought the surprises were over, fate immediately proved me wrong. When we got back on our table, Lu Han was sitting beside Kai, talking and laughing. Is my world ending?

"What are you doing here?" I asked, pointedly looking at Lu Han, sort-of slamming my tray on the table.

"See," Lu Han said as if he had just proved something, gesturing his hands at me.

Kai just laughed. "Relax, Yeon. Lu Han came in peace."

"So you're on his side now?" I asked, sitting down across him.

He shrugged. "He said he did all those pranks because your reactions were too cute. So I can't blame him, can I?"

"And you believe him?" Wait, so he agrees that I'm cute? I mentally shook my head. Focus.

"Relax, Jiyeon." It was Hannah this time. "Give Lu Han a chance."

I grunted in response and took a bite out of my sandwich.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter