The Memory

Love Language

 

From the confines of a small little house a large sigh could be heard as a black haired male sat crossed legged atop a leather couch. His face showed the upmost amount of concentration, but if one looked closely they could just make out the dark bags forming underneath his wary eyes. One hand was balancing a textbook in his lap while the other was absent mindely reaching for his now lukewarm coffee. The young male brought the cup up to his lips and immediately cringed at the taste. He had forgotton to put sugar in it again. He didn't know why he bothered trying to stomach such a vile drink. The coffee was bitter and cold, nothing compared to the sweet drinks his boyfriend would make.

The young man sighed a little at the thought of one of his boyfriends addicting bubble tea's. He swore they were to die for. He drowned himself happily in thoughts of bubble tea and all things sweet. It wasn't until he heard the front door creak open  that the short haired male snapped out of his daydream. He heard the front door slam and immediately a familiar voice reached his ears.

"Himchannie hyung!! We're home!!" The voice called.

Himchan smiled, but it disappeared as fast as it had come. It was then that Himchan remembered the cold coffee which stood in front of him on the glass table, untouched since his last sip. He glanced downwards and saw the worn out textbook sprawled lazily in his lap. He had been on the same page for hours now, he swore his right leg had gone numb, and glancing back up it was hard to miss the mass of notebooks and textbooks scattered all around the couch.

Oh, now he remembered.

Closing the book in his lap Himchan fought back a yawn. Now was not the time to be feeling tired, although he did settle for giving his arms a much needed stretch. Himchan turned his body, legs still crossed on the couch, and stretched out his arms. He was in mid stretch when he heard footsteps coming his way. Suddenly a large mop of blond hair appeared in front of him.

"Hey there hyung." The blond haired boy cringed slightly as he sat down on a textbook, but it didn't faze the smile on his face.

Himchan finished his stretch and proceeded to tousle the younger boy's hair. It was soft despite the harsh bleaching. "Hey Youngsoo what are you doing back so early?"

The said boy shrugged his shoulders and shoved more textbooks aside so he could sit comfortably on the couch. "Mmm I dunno. Mom said we finished shopping and it was still too early to bring me to class. So...here we are."

Himchan nodded his head in understanding and went back to reading the textbook in front of him. He still had yet to even move from the first page and he found it even harder when a certain blond haired boy started doing distracting things.

"Hmm hyung..." Youngsoo frowned when he saw Himchan reading. "You're studying again?" Although he already knew the answer when he sat down on multiple textbooks.

"Yeah." came Himchan's short reply. "But it's alright. Hyung likes studying." He gave a weak laugh.

Ahh now he remembered he thought as Youngsoo continued to abuse his textbooks. 

Youngsoo pouted then his face lit up as an idea popped up in his mind. He quickly shook Himchan's shoulder. "Hey hey hyung lets go out and play!"

"Youngsoo you know I have to--"

"Aww hyung! Come on!" Youngsoo's face turned into a full on pout. "You're always studying. Can't you take a break just this once? We don't even hang out much anymore." His voice got quieter as he finished. A sad aura loomed over him.

Himchan turned to face the pouting boy. Truth be told he felt the same, he missed spending time with his favorite person, plus he could never say no whenever Youngsoo pouted.

"Aish..." Himchan ran a hand through his hair and smiled. "Alright alright you win."

"Yes!" Youngsoo jumped up.

Laughing, Himchan let himself be dragged away from his mess of books and cold coffee. It wasn't until they reached the front door that another voice came up behind him.

"Where do you think you're going?"

Himchan fought back a grimace as he turned around to answer. "Umm..."

"Oh mom! "Himchan hyung and I we're just going to go out." Youngsoo was busy trying to put on his shoes, so he couldn't see the expression his mother currently wore.

The minute Youngsoo turned his head upwards his mother's expression changed into a soft smile. "Youngsoo dear you know Himchan is busy." She glanced at the said boy and Himchan glanced away. "And besides you have class in an hour, can't you go another time?"

The smile didn't reach her eyes.

Youngsoo finally finished putting on his shoes and stood with a frown on his face. "Aww mom please? We need some more quality time together...since he's already so busy." Youngsoo muttered the last part. "And besides hyung said he would drive me to class later. Please?"

Youngsoo finished with his famous pout.

His mother raised an eyebrow, but didn't argue. "Fine then." she agreed.

"Make sure to bring him to class on time alright?" She spoke towards Himchan now.

"Yes." he stated. Himchan kept his eyes averted.

With that the woman uncrossed her arms and disappeared to another part of the house.

Moments later Himchan settled himself in his Toyata Corolla, while Youngsoo climbed into the passenger seat. It was a dinky old car with dents and scratches everywhere and the inside smelled like old mothballs, but a car was a car and Himchan was just glad to have one.

"So where to?" Himchan asked.

"You know." There was a smile on the other's face as he leaned his head against the window.

Himchan chuckled and the radio. The next few moments were silent as both boys lost themselves in their thoughts. The quiet hum of the radio stopped provided soft background music.

It wasn't until Himchan slowed for a stoplight that Youngsoo spoke up. "Hey hyung?" he questioned head still against the window.

"Hm?" Himchan hummed in adknowledgement. His fingers drumming along to an unknown rhythm.

"Can I ask you something?"

"You just did." Himchan chuckled, but stopped when he saw the other's somber expression. "But you can always ask me anything. What's on your mind?"

Youngsoo tilted his head away from the window and gazed at the older male. "What's going to happen...when you go away?"

Hearing the other's queston Himchan stopped drumming his fingers and a small smile appeared on his face. He knew what Youngsoo meant when he asked that question. He turned his head towards the somber looking blond.

"Nothing." he replied and Youngsoo furrowed his eyebrows. "Because I'm not going away. It's just college. It's not like I'm going to be gone forever." He tried to lighten the younger's mood.

Youngsoo frowned some more then sunk lower into his seat. "Well yeah but--"

"But?" Himchan questioned.

"I'll still miss you."

Himchan gaze softened and he reached over to pat the other's head. His hand gently tousling the other's hair.

"You know we'll always be together right?"

At this the younger boy smiled and nodded his head. "Yeah." he replied.

"Good. Than you have nothing to worry about."

Himchan drove on.

Youngsoo opened his mouth to respond, but deicded to close it at the last minute. He knew it was useless to argue against Himchan anyways.

Suddenly a song popped up on the one radio and Youngsoo perked up. "Hyung look! It's our favorite song!" He giggled and proceeded to imitate Taeyang's catchy lines, bouncing up and down on the seat.

"Na na na na na na na na na...Wow Fantastic Baby. Dance!" Soon Youngsoo started swinging his arms within the cramped car and moving his head in attempt to dance.

Himchan laughed as he saw the the others actions and before he could help it he moving in his seat as well, bobbing his head with the beat and tapping his feet.

The pressure on the gas pedal got heavier.

"I wanna dance dance dance dance dance dance." Himchan was now completely immersed in the song as he saw Youngsoo bouncing in his seat. He laughed harder when Youngsoo tried to imitate TOP's rap.

"Oh oh here comes our favorite part!...Boom shakalaka!" Youngsoo swung his arms crazily.

Himchan turned his eyes away from the road to glance at the other. He caught the Youngsoo's 'dancing' and immediately he cracked a huge smile.

The gas pedal got heavier.

Youngsoo suddenly paused and turned to look at Himchan, a smile in his eyes."I forgot how fun it was whe--" Youngsoo's eyes widened. His voice stopped abruptly.

"Hyung watch out!!!"

Himchan's eyes shot open. His hands clenched at the sweaty sheets. A wheezing cough could be heard and with great horror Himchan realized the sound was coming from him. His eyes darted around the dark room and he could just make out the sun poking through the cracks in his blinds. A thin layer of sweat covered his forehead. He raised a hand to wipe it away. Himchan tried to will his heart to calm down, but it was no use.

He turned over and glanced at his clock.

6:07

The exhausted male ran a hand through his hair and leaned back in bed. It was another hour before he had to be at school. Himchan laid an arm over his eyes and exhaled deeply letting the beat of his heart calm down. His mind was racing.

Three years.

It had been three years since he had that dream. Himchan clenched his hands into fists and tossed his head to the side. It was still as vivid as before and he could hear the screams as if he was reliving the nightmare all over again. Unclenching his hands Himchan rolled out of bed swinging his feet over the side. His eyes caught the picture standing on his desk and he immediately looked away.

Why. Why now? Why him?

Those questions kept running through Himchan's head as he went through his morning routine. He was finally starting to get over it. He was finally starting to heal, yet just when he was on the verge of recovery fate decided to twist his life in yet another direction. Himchan glanced out the window as he undrew the shades. The sun now fully shined through the transperent glass illuminating everything in its path. The tired male heaved a sigh and ran a hand through his hair.

"Ugh I look hideous." Himchan stated as he glared at his puffy eyes. No doubt the result of his late night crying fest. His hand had just grabbed the concealing cream from his bathroom when he heard his phone give a ring.

Message from Daehyun and Yongguk. He read. Himchan opened the message from Daehyun first.

From Daehyun:

Hey hyung! You better not have slept in. I'm tired....remind me why we have class so early?

Himchan let out a small laugh and typed back a response. Daehyun was always so random. He opened the next message.

From Yongguk:

Don't stress yourself today because I know you have a habit of doing that.

Himchan rolled his eyes, but he was grateful Yongguk reminded him. He typed a response and quickly closed his phone.

Exhaling a deep breath Himchan grabbed his backpack and made his way towards the door. On his way out he passed by his desk and made the mistake of glancing over. His eyes caught the picture of the two boys from last night. His heart gave a slight squeeze, but before his eyes started watering Himchan flipped the picture facedown his desk and walked out the door of his bedroom.

He made a quick breakfast and made sure he had everything he needed. When it came time to leave Himchan stood by by the door, hand on the doorknob, and took a couple deep breaths.

It was a habit he developed over the years. The doctors said that it would help with his anxiety. He was always annoyed with the task, but it was mornings like this that he was grateful for the extra few minutes spent by his door.

After the last breath Himchan twisted the handle to his door and stepped outside, a smile on his face. The door closed slowly behind him leaving the events of last night nothing but a distant memory.

 

Daehyun plunked down in his seat and took out his phone. He clicked the button and stared happily at the picture greeting him on his homescreen. The brunette leaned his head on one of his hands and used the other hand to run a thumb over the lighted screen. He swore yesterday was one of the happiest days of his life. Daehyun squeezed the phone against his chest, his body getting ready for the oncoming spaz attack. However before he could start the embarassing act of squealing over a picture, an exhausted looking Himchan sagged into the seat next to him.

Daehyun glanced up. "Wow somebody looks tired today."

Himchan raised an eyebrow. "No really." he muttered back. Himchan slumped more into his seat and snuck a glance at the clock. Class wouldn't be starting for another 15 minutes and he internally groaned. He wished the time would tick by faster so class would start. More free time meant he more ways for his mind to drift back to yesterday and that was the last thing he wanted.

Daehyun shifted in his seat so now he was completely facing his hyung. Something was off, he could tell, but he couldn't place his finger on what. His phone lay facedown on his desk, temporairly out of the way.

"Hey are you okay?" He gave Himchan a concerned look, almond shaped eyes widening ever so slightly.

Himchan jumped slightly. There was a small moment of silence before the black haired male turned to give Daehyun a reassuring smile. "Absolutely fine." His smile got wider and he let out a strained laugh. "What makes you think that?"

"Hmm.." Daehyun's gaze didn't falter and Himchan's smile didn't either. "Well for one your awfully quiet today. What happened? Did you spend all night talking to Yongguk and lose your voice?" The younger chuckled at his own joke, while Himchan reached out a leg in an attempt to kick the other.

Daehyun skillfully dodged and continued. "Also," He reached over to poke one of Himchan's puffy eyes. "What the hell happened to your eyes? Why are they all puffy and red?"

Himchan's eyes widened slightly, but luckily for him Daehyun didn't seem to notice. "U-uh nothing. It's probably just allergies. You know how much pollen hates me." Himchan mentally prayed his excuse was convicing enough.

Daehyun gazed at his hyung for another minute or so as if contemplating his answer. Only a moment later when he blinked and shrugged his shoulders did Himchan let out a sigh of relief.

"Yeah maybe." Daehyun shifted back in his seat. "But you're sure your alright hyung? I mean..."

Himchan flashed a grin. "Positive." he replied cutting the younger off. "So stop worrying so much, since when did you start caring so much about my well being anyways?" He reached over and playfully punched Daehyun in the shoulder. Despite the question his tone of voice was all but hurt.

Daehyun rolled his eyes. "Whatever hyung, sorry to care so much about your health. Next time I'll make sure not to stop you when you're about to walk into a pole okay?"

Daehyun chuckled at his own reference, while Himchan shot him a half annoyed, half amused look. With that said Daehyun turned back to his phone and continued flipping through pictures of him and Youngjae. He would never get tired of looking at them.

Himchan was busy flipping through his own phone when, from the corner of his eye, he saw Daehyun pratically staring love-struck into his device. Curiosity got the better of him and he quickly scooted over to find out what was making his best friend was so obsessed. Daehyun heard Himchan scooting closer and immediately slapped the phone facedown on his desk.

"Hey what were you looking at just now?" He was wearing the grin that Daehyun always associated with trouble.

"Nothing special." Daehyun muttered, averting his eyes. "Just some pictures I took yesterday. No need for you to see."

Daehyun slid the phone furthur up his desk, hoping his sly best friend wouldn't notice. Unfortunalty luck didn't wasn't on his side at the moment and in a flash Himchan jumped out of his seat and snatched the phone from his desk.

"Yah!" Daehyun exclaimed. He jumped and tried to snatch his phone back, face scunching up in mild frustration when Himchan showed no signs of giving it back.

Himchan held the phone slightly out of reach, using his height to his advantage. "If it's nothing important than I can see it right?" He smirked, knowing Daehyun would give in eventually and to his luck he did.

"Alright fine." Daehyun muttered. The defeated boy slumped back down to his seat and waited for the teasing to commence. A few moments passed and the slumped boy heard nothing from the older male next to him. He was met with silence. Curious Daehyun turned around and sure enough Himchan was gazing at his phone, his hand still on the homescreen.

That's weird. Daehyun thought. "Yah, hyung." he called waving his hands in front of the dazed male. After he snapped a few times Himchan snapped out of his trance, almost dropping the phone in his hand. Daehyun noted the subtle change in Himchan's eyes and immediately he knew something was up.

"Hey hyung, are you sure you're okay?" Daehyun was stating to grow suspicious at his hyung's strange behavior. Himchan seeemed to come back to reality as soon as he heard Daehyun's voice. He let his arms drop to his sides and turned to give Daehyun a reply.

"Y-yeah I'm fine. How many times do I need to tell you that?" Himchan gave a rather strained laugh. His hand unconsicounsly getting tighter around the phone.

Daehyun tilted his head at Himchan's answer, but didn't continue on the subject. He trusted his hyung to tell him if anything was actually wrong. 

Himchan switched his gaze from Daehyun to the floor.

"Well if you're done strangling my phone. Can I have it back please?" Daehyun reached a hand out. But before he could fully reach out and grab it Himchan shot his hand up and pratically shoved the phone into his face.

"Who is this?"

Daehyun jumped a little not expecting Himchan to almost smack him in the face. He frowned at the question. "What do you mean?" His background was just him and Youngjae smiling at the camera. "It's just me and the boy I met yesterday."

Himchan let out a rather exasperated sigh, his sharp features forming a look of frustration. "No, I meant what's his name?"

The way Himchan's eyes bore into his own at the moment scared him a little.

"His name's Youngjae. Like I said he's the boy I met a coup--"

Daehyun didn't even finish his sentence because as soon as Youngjae's name left his lips something in Himchan seemed to snap and the older male muttered out a hasty, "Sorry, I have to go." He shoved the phone back into Daehyun's hand and proceeded to walk out the room.

"Y-yah Himchan hyung! Where do you think you're going?" Daehyun sat wide eyed in his seat. The rest of his classmates turned to see what the commotion was all about. "Class is about to start!"

He watched as his best friend of two years pratically stormed out of the classroom, ignoring his questioning cries. Daehyun sat dumb-struck as to what just happened and stared at the phone in his hands. His classmates were already starting to whisper about what they saw. Could the famous prince have gotton into a fight with his best friend? Luckily for Daehyun the teacher chose to walk in a moment later and he was quick to quiet down the restless class.

"-chan. Kim Himchan." Mr. Lee called, his eyes scanning the classroom. "Is Mr. Kim here today?"

Daehyun snapped out of his daze and tore his eyes away from the door. "O-oh he's...sick today. He won't be coming in." Thankfully nobody said anything about the scene that just played out moments ago.

"Ahh very well." Mr. Lee continued on with attendence and proceeded to talk about the days lesson plan. Daehyun drowned out most of what he had to say. His mind was somewhere else. He played with the small device on his desk, constantly turning it on and off and seeing the picture of him and Youngjae appearing each time he turned his phone on again. He didn't understand why Himchan acted the way he did.

Frustrated Daehyun ran a hand through his dark brown hair. Just what was going on with his best friend?

~*~

Himchan all but ran out of the classroom. His heart was beating furiously and he could feel a headache coming on. The worn out male walked until he was outside just before the campus gates. The fresh air helping to clear his mind just enough so he could pull his phone out of his pocket. Himchan stared at the number illuminated on the screen. He hadn't called it in years and he wondered if it still worked. His finger hesitated on the call button, but his mind flashed back to the picture on Daehyun's phone and before he knew it he was holding his phone to his ears hoping for that continuous ring to start.

He needed answers.

He just hoped he was doing the right thing.

Ring. Ring. Click.

"Hello?"

"We need to talk."


 

 

 

A/N: Hello there lovely readers! Here is the long awaited double-update I have promised. Goodness chapter 5 was a monster (and filled with Daejae fluff), but I hope you all enjoyed it nonetheless.
Thank you for reading!! (⌒.−)=★
~ Yumi