His Song II

Love Language


 

"Hey," Daehyun spoke gently, turning slowly so as not to startle the wide-eyed boy besides him. In the moment of silence they shared Daehyun had come to a decision. He stared longingly into Youngjae's beautiful set of chocolate brown eyes. He always thought Youngjae's eyes were captivating, but he figured he was just too caught up in the moment. But now Daehyun realized there was something about them that drew him in everytime.

"There's something I want to show you. If that's alright with you." Daehyun lightly bit his lip as he twiddled his thumbs around his hands. There was a certain sense to Youngjae that had Daehyun feeling a certain ease and comfort. He felt as if he could conquer the world after an hour siting and just being with the boy next to him. Now this was something he was sure he wanted to do and maybe Youngjae would gain a little more confidence seeing him do so.

Youngjae tilted his head in response and unconsciously his head gave a small nod. Daehyun's expression shifted from slightly nervous to practically beaming as he reached down to clasp one of Youngjae's hands. Youngjae jumped a little at the sudden contact, but made no move to move his hand away. Daehyun gave Youngjae's hand a small squeeze and flashed a smile before he let go and intertwined his own fingers atop his nervous lap.

"But whatever you do you can't laugh alright?" Daehyun pointed a playful finger at the other. Youngjae gave a small laugh and nodded, sealing his silent promise.

Daehyun grinned and shifted slightly on the bench. The air around him seemed to change and intertwine slowly as he closed his eyes and drew in a deep breath of air. Youngjae sat entranced. He had never seen this side of Daehyun before and it left him a little mystified. A few more seconds of preparation and Daehyun parted his lips letting the air flow out of his lungs in a rather graceful manner. Only the air that was expected to come out as a soft silence was transformed into something soothing, strong, and breathtaking. It took Youngjae a moment to realize what was happening and when he did his eyes widened in recognition.

This love is catching me by surprise

Your eyes I look in a million times, a million times

Your heart, it beats, to the beat of mine

We stop in time, cause the feeling is right, it's feeling right

Daehyun was singing.

A feeling like the weight of the world is lifted,

Nothing that we can't overcome, we'll make it

We'll make it out, out, leaving it all just to go to the other side

His voice was warm and steady. Never faltering. Never hitching. Every note, every sound...all of it was flowing and hauntingly pure. Every word and every phrase...all of it was uttered with the upmost care resulting in the most beautiful, soulful sound. A sound that would put even angels to shame. It was a soothing melody. One that could have easily brought tears to the eyes if they let the music completely wash over them. Youngjae hadn't even noticed his eyes started watering until he felt a single tear stain his hand. Shocked, he quickly reached up to wipe the moisture away. He was surprised that tears were making their way out, but then again he wasn’t. Daehyun radiated confidence and warmth and it left him simply mesmerized.

For a moment the park around them seemed to vanish and all Youngjae could focus on was Daehyun. He noticed how Daehyun's eyebrows would scrunch together ever so slightly as he neared a certain part or how his lips would know just how much breath to take in and just how much to push out. He noticed how much passion Daehyun seemed to sing with and it all took his breath away.

For a moment Youngjae let himself forget. Just for a moment Youngjae let himself drift. His mind drifted away to a different reality. An ideal reality. His mind wandered free and suddenly he felt his eyes become wet with tears again. When Daehyun sang his last note and his lips closed to catch his breath a silence fell upon the small autumn park. The birds stopped singing. The leaves stopped fluttering. There was no wind, no breeze, only a sound silence.

For that moment the world stood still and for that moment Youngjae had everything.

He wished the moment would last forever.

But the world doesn’t stop. In time it would always begin to move again. A squirrel skittered up a tree, its little paws pattering over the brown oak. A child squealed in the distance, laughing as they yelled to be pushed higher on the swings. The faint rush of cars could be heard from the streets around them and if one listened closely they could just make out the soft sound of wind playing through the leaves.

The world was moving again- flourishing brilliantly with the melodious sounds of life.

And Youngjae was brought back to his cruel reality. He felt his heart constrict and at that moment he never wanted anything more than to be able to move with the world around him.

"Youngjae what's wrong?" Daehyun let out a nervous laugh as he reached over to cup Youngjae's face. He gently wiped away the boy’s tears with a brush of his thumb. "Was my singing that bad?"

Daehyun's attempt to make him laugh had him cracking a small smile. He feverently shook his head and brought Daehyun's hands away from his cheeks. He finished wiping away the rest of his tears himself, surprised that so many had managed to escape his eyes.

No, your singing looks beautiful.

Daehyun found himself grinning at the small note, lips curving up to reveal a row of dazzling white teeth.

“Really?”

Daehyun gave a small smile and Youngjae could see that the boy was truly nervous about showing him his hidden secret. He thought those insecurities were silly. Daehyun was everything and more.

You don't believe me? Wow I'm offended.

Daehyun's eyes narrowed playfully at Youngjae's last response and he reached an arm over to lightly tap the younger boy on his shoulders. Daehyun slumped lower in his seat and muttered something about Youngjae being a tease. Youngjae let out a laugh at Daehyun's reaction. The boy besides him was always so expressive he couldn't help but be a little teasing.

Don't worry Daehyunnie, I think you would have a beautiful voice.

Out of the corner of his eyes Daehyun noticed the genuine smile Youngjae had when he placed down the note. He almost let out a smile, but then remembered he was supposed to be 'mad' at the boy sitting beside him and he painfully held it in. Attempting to be discrete about his actions Daehyun tilted his head to the left and glanced at the new message. What he read had his heart swelling in happiness and this time there was no stopping the smile that formed. Daehyun figured he quite liked the new nickname. Youngjae noticed his happy reaction and chuckled in response.

Daehyun was so caught up in the moment he decided to voice his excitement. "Really?" he spoke and his lips broke out into another breathtaking grin. 

Youngjae nodded and laughed as he saw Daehyun widen his smile. He never knew his words had the power to make someone so happy.

Really.

Daehyun pouted, slightly disappointed that Youngjae was still using sticky notes. But the excitement from before drowned out his small complaint.

"You know," Daehyun continued, tapping his hands excitedly together. "I didn't think I would ever want to sing for anybody again. I sang just to get a good grade, for the teachers, for the school. I sang, but it was always empty. There was really no point to my singing. I never put anything behind it. I guess it disappointed me when people never noticed the lack of emotion or effort in my voice. I forgot what it was like to really sing from the heart."

Youngjae nodded, quietly observing him as he spoke.

"It was routine really. Every day the same thing. People coming to me with fake intentions, fake smiles. I was getting so sick of it. I could never tell whose intentions were real and whose were fake. Everyone was just out to grab at a chance of instant popularity. So I did the only thing that sounded reasonable at the time. I shut myself out." Daehyun let out a breathy chuckle as he recalled the memories of his early school life.

"It didn't surprise me that no one noticed. In fact they just continued as if nothing had changed. It only showed what I thought was right." An emotionless smile made its way onto Daehyun's lips as he continued. "I really missed the days when I would sing just to sing. No teachers, no competition, no expectations...just singing. Just letting myself go in something I loved doing." Daehyun sighed and turned. He met Youngjae’s gaze and the boy's eyes widened a little at the sudden action.

Daehyun brought a genuine smile back onto his lips. "It's strange really because when I met you I somehow felt the urge to sing again. And not just sing, but really sing. I don't know how you did it, but you've seriously made me fall head over heels." Daehyun let out a joyful laugh. "You've made me want to sing again Youngjae. Call me crazy, but life has a way of making things happen huh?"

"Thank you Youngjae." Daehyun was beaming. The smile on his lips showed nothing less than happiness. "Thank you for making me want to sing again. Thank you for not thinking I’m delusional stalker, because I’m not." he playfully added, narrowing his eyes.

Youngjae let out a laugh and threw Daehyun a look as if to sarcastically say ‘really now’. A breathy chuckle escaped Daehyun’s lips as he leaned his head forward to rest on one of his arms. He looked straight into Youngjae’s eyes making sure the younger was paying attention before voicing his final thought.

"Thank you for accepting me."

A silence followed Daehyun's small speech as neither boy spoke a word. Although Daehyun hadn't been expecting a huge reaction. He was at least expecting something. With curious eyes Daehyun glanced over and found Youngjae was staring off into space. His gaze seemed a million miles away and Daehyun lightly chewed his bottom lip in hesitation.

Finally, after what seemed like hours Youngjae seemed to come back down to Earth. His eyes blinked. Once. Twice. Then a small smile appeared on his lips.

I'm glad I met you too.

Daehyun had to reread the other’s note at least twice before he really got what it said. He really didn't get Youngjae sometimes. He would say one thing and then Youngjae would respond with another. Daehyun wanted to sigh in confusion and frustration, but figured it was just a part of Youngjae's personality. The boy was rather quirky in his own way and there were times he swore he was talking to Himchan rather than the quiet boy he fell in love with at first sight.What happened next completely threw Daehyun off balance as Youngjae suddenly shifted so now the both of them were facing each other. In the short moment of silence they shared Youngjae had come to a decision.

"Youngjae, what are you doing?" Daehyun asked as Youngjae began shuffling towards him. Not that he minded, but Youngjae's sudden change in attitude had Daehyun blinking his eyes in confusion.

Youngjae held up a finger, a sign for Daehyun to be quiet and follow with whatever he was doing. Daehyun felt his head nod against his neck. With quick movements Youngjae pulled his pad of stick notes towards him and wrote down a note, his hands were steady and sure as they moved against the smooth surface.

Daehyun, can you keep secrets?

Daehyun merely nodded and tilted his head, curious as to where this was going. Youngjae responded with a sigh and continued to write on his pad. He placed the next note down a bit slower than the previous one.

Would you like to hear my song now?

Daehyun’s eyes widened a little and he tilted his head in question. He was about to voice out his questions, but a look from Youngjae told him he should be responding sticky notes.

Youngjae, what are you talking about?

Youngjae smiled a little.

Don’t you remember when we first met and you asked me what music I was listening to?

Daehyun tilted his head as his mind searched through his memory trying to locate the specific one. He faintly recalled asking Youngjae what he was listening to, but he never thought the younger was actually paying attention.

Yes?

He was still confused. Youngjae chuckled a little and placed down another note.

Well aren’t you curious?

Of course I am.

Then here’s your chance to finally find out.

Daehyun blinked.

Really?

Yes really. Would I lie?

Youngjae responded with a small wink.

Just promise me one thing…

Daehyun could pratically feel the uncertainty as he searched Youngjae's expression to see if he could make out what the younger was thinking, but he soon found that Youngjae was very good at keeping a straight face.

Anything.

Youngjae hesitated a little, but quickly shook it off.

Just promise me you won't think differently of me after I show you. That I'll still be the same Youngjae.

It was a such a simple promise, yet the small promise would give him hope.

Daehyun let his features scrunch in confusion and he almost let out a laugh. After all Youngjae revealed to him yesterday Daehyun was confused as to why Youngjae would be so insecure about the type of music he listened to. For one it was just silly and Daehyun never thought differently of the other even after he had told him all he had. Even then his impression of Youngjae never changed, if any Daehyun only saw Youngjae as an even stronger person. Heaven knows if he had been in Youngjae's situation he would never have had the strength to come back as brilliantly and as strongly as Youngjae was today. The idea that Youngjae was insecure about the type of music he played almost had Daehyun chuckling.

I can't promise that I won't look at you differently.

Youngjae looked a bit worried as his eyes widened ever so slightly.

But I can promise you that you'll always be Youngjae to me. No matter what and nothing's ever going to change that.

Besides is your music really that embarrassing?

At that Youngjae had to let out a small laugh and Daehyun chuckled along with him. Youngjae let his body relax slightly as he shifted a bit closer. From the way Daehyun was responding he felt more comforted about the choice he was about to make. He gestured for Daehyun to lean closer towards him. Once close enough Youngjae reached up and pointed to the earphones in his ears. Daehyun blinked and it took a moment for him to remember they were actually there. Youngjae reached up and gently pulled the earphones away from his ears, taking an ear bud in each hand. His hand wavered ever so slightly, but that quickly faded away as he moved his hands forward, offering them for Daehyun to take.

Daehyun was curious to say the least. Ever since the first day he had always wondered what kind of music the younger was listening to. It must have been interesting because the headphones never seemed to leave his ears. His hands touched the small buds and Youngjae let go with no hesitation. Daehyun tried to read his expression, his own eyes searching through the others, but they were blank. His features wiped clean of any emotion. Slowly Daehyun placed an ear bud in each ear, expecting to hear some kind of pop song playing through the tiny devices.

A second later he was furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"That's funny...I don't hear anything."

With questioning eyes Daehyun pulled the headphones out of his ears. He met eyes with a blank looking Youngjae and then realization dawned on him faster than he could blink. The intricate hand motions that followed soon after only confirmed his answer and the more he thought about it the more it made sense. He was just too caught up to notice the clear signs Youngjae gave.

The reason why Youngjae practically ignored him on their first meeting. The reason why Youngjae seemed to jump at every sudden movement, every sudden touch. Why Youngjae always had that far away look in his eyes. Why Youngjae never responded directly to any of his questions. The reason for the iPod. The ear buds. The sticky notes.

How could he not have noticed before?

It was so painfully obvious, yet he had been as blind as a bat to the matter. Youngjae was waiting for his reaction and he knew. Truthfully he didn't know how to react. Crazed obsessed fan girls he could handle. A naggy Himchan he could handle. But this? This was something entirely new. Daehyun snuck a glance over at Youngjae and he found him in almost the exact same stiff position.

He must be as nervous as I am.

This wasn't something Youngjae regarded lightly, from all the time it took for Youngjae to finally tell him Daehyun could piece together that this issue had been sitting on the younger’s heart for a good while, maybe ever since they first met. The two of them sat in silence. Strangely enough the park that had been so filled with life moments ago seemed to still completely, as if responding to their situation.

Finally time seemed to move again as Daehyun uncapped his sharpie and fished out his pad of sticky notes from his bag. His mind commanded his hands to write the one thing that was running through his mind the entire time. Even after Youngjae revealed the truth about his past. Even after Youngjae showed him what he was. Even after everything Youngjae had told him, his mind never wavered. This thought was the truth and there would be no denying his feelings. Daehyun finished writing and he let a small, but quick smile flit across his features. He reached over to place the small note on Youngjae's notebook, keeping the words covered with his hand until the very last minute.

Youngjae's eyes widened and he lifted his head to meet Daehyun’s gaze. Daehyun’s gaze was gentle. His eyes showed no scorn as they reflected into his own. Youngjae's eyes were shining, glimmering with fresh hope as he had to choke back a small sob. Even so he couldn't help the one tear that managed to slip free.

The pearly drop fell from his eyes and landed in the corner of the square little note.

~*~

Pit. Pat. Pit. Pat.

The single droplets of water hit the ground slowly, one at a time. A trail of tears could be seen running down Himchan's face as he stood along the edge of the street silently watching the wind rustle the leaves, scattering a few here and there. He clutched his phone in his right hand. His grip was so hard the white of his knuckles were starting to show, but that was the least of his worries.

Himchan pointlessly wiped away the tears on his cheeks. He wasn't one to cry easily, despite his dramatic attitude, so he hated himself for letting the tears flow so freely. As Himchan's eyes scanned over the small park he couldn't believe he didn't recognize it as the same park from his past. Had so much changed that he couldn't even remember the one special place his brother loved so dearly?

Time really did have a way with memories.

Himchan never wanted to think about that day ever again. It was the darkest moment in his life as he saw everything he loved and cared for fall apart before his very eyes. Although Youngsoo was not related to him by blood their bond was not something that could be broken easily. Himchan could still remember the day Youngsoo's father had found him abandoned and near death alongside the road. He had been kind enough to take him to the hospital where he was tenderly nursed back to health. He thought it was going to end there, that the man who had just so kindly saved him and paid for his hospital bill was going to leave him as is after that. No questions were asked as he stayed in that hospital. It would have been more than enough for the man to have left him alone after he picked Himchan up. If he was sent away to an orphanage he would just find a way to escape, but no. The man didn’t leave him afterwards; instead the man took him to his own home. He took Himchan's hand in his own and gently looked into his eyes as they stood quietly outside the large door.

"Himchan," the man spoke, "From now on this is going to be your new home. From now on you are my son and this is your family."

Himchan was introduced to a kindly looking woman and by her side was a small, frail looking boy with dirty blond hair and bangs long enough to cover his eyes. He was later told who they were. The man was known as Mr. Yoo and the woman he had seen was his wife, Mrs. Yoo and the little boy? He was known as little Yoo Youngsoo, apple of both his mother's and father's eyes. Those were the people who had taken him in. They were the people who had saved him from what surely would have been a sad and lonely life. He thought situations like those only happened in fairy tales. He never thought miracles could really happen. He was given a home, a loving family, and an adorable little brother to look after. Not only that, but his new family was wealthy and surely his life would be set with the education they would let him receive.

Maybe fairy tales really did exist. Maybe happy endings were really possible.

Too bad life had a way of showing only one side. The surface of what is like an ocean. On the surface the ocean is beautiful, tranquil, and breathtaking, however what lies below is another story entirely. Down below an ocean can be deep, dark, and intimidating, a place where the light barely touches and where strange beasts hide in every corner. An ocean was what his new life was like.

He only wished he realized it sooner and maybe, just maybe, he would have been spared the pain and guilt that would come to haunt him for years to come.

"Channie?"

A familiar voice broke through Himchan's daydream and the said male immediately raised a frantic hand to try and wipe away the few stray tears left lingering on his cheeks. When he was done he turned and found Yongguk standing a few feet away from him breathing heavily, worry etched clearly onto his handsome features. Himchan could clearly make out the drops of sweat dripping past Yongguk's hair and down along his neck. He felt bad for making Yongguk worry like that and now he had found him pratically on the verge of breaking down and not to mention his red, swollen eyes. Sometimes Himchan wondered what would have happened if the two of them had never met. He shuddered as the thought ran through his mind.

No, he didn’t want to imagine.

"Channie..." Yongguk came closer now. He stopped right in front of Himchan's slouched figure.

Himchan paid no heed to Yongguk's comforting tone, instead his hands clenched tighter into fists and Yongguk was scared Himchan was going to crack a knuckle with the grip he had on his phone. Himchan's anguish was replaced by an overwhelming sense of anger.

"He lied." Himchan spat through his teeth. "They lied." It was hard to get the words out as his jaw clenched even tighter.

Yongguk said nothing and waited for Himchan to finish. He looked on with a solemn expression, although on the inside he was sighing heavily with relief.

"They lied to me Yongguk." Himchan finally lifted his head. His eyes showed the same burning rage. The tears were starting to break through again. Tears of regret. Anger. Guilt.

"All those years I thought he was dead. All those years of suffering through the pain."

Himchan let out a shuddering breath. "He was alive this entire time. This entire time and they...lied to me." He was breathing heavily by now, his hands shaking. "Why? Why?!"

For that Yongguk had no answer. He only pulled a shaking Himchan closer to his chest and let him cry securely within his arms. Himchan's cries were heartbreaking as everything came rushing back to him at once. Yongguk only held him closer, trying to whisper comforting words into his ear.

"I want him back Yongguk." Himchan's voice was barely audible. He ignored the scent of sweat as he mumbled into the soft fabric of Yongguk's shirt. "I need to see him again. I need to--" His grip on Yongguk's shirt tightened as he spoke.

It was times like this Himchan was truly thankful for Yongguk’s understanding. But damn he hated himself for being so weak, for having to cling onto somebody else for comfort. He always prided himself at how nothing would ever break him down. That no matter what happened he would stay strong. He needed to be strong.

It was the only thing he had.

Funny how life wouldn't even let him keep that. Funny how one all it took was one simple sentence to change his life forever.

Yongguk continued to try and sooth the grief stricken male in front of him, knowing there was nothing he could really say to remedy the situation at hand. Words could only go so far.

He responded softly with what he could. "We'll find him again. I promise."

We'll find him.

 

Daehyun could see his reflection appearing in Youngjae's eyes as he saw them start to glisten with a glassy shine. The curve of his lips gave a tiny hitch upwards and he reached over to gently swipe a thumb over the younger's cheek, wiping away all traces of salty tears...as Youngjae might have finally realized the true account of Daehyun's feelings.

 

You're still beautiful.


 

 

 

A/N: I apologize again for the late update. Life has me dealing with all sorts of issues right now. But I hope you all enjoyed. It was one of my favorites to write (even if I feel like some parts were a little rushed). The chapter got so long I had to split it lol. Confused? Ask questions! ^^ I'll be happy to answer.
And curious about the song Daehyun 'sang'? Well its a real song! Listen to it here.
Thank you again for being so patient! You guys are the best! <3xinfinity
~ Yumi