The Realization I

Love Language

 

"Jung Daehyun!! Jung Daehyun!!!" The teacher slammed one of his hands on top of Daehyn's desk. The sound broke Daehyun away from his daydream. He jolted upright, his pencil clattering to the floor. He looked up sheepishly at his teacher.

"Sorry Mr. Lee..." Daehyun mumbled rubbing the back of his head. "Won't happen again."

"It better not Mr. Jung. Now's most certainly not the time to be spacing out. Now pay attention!" Mr. Lee gave Daehyun another pointed look then walked back to the front of the class to continue on with his lecture about the composition of music. His monotone voice doing nothing to help with Daehyun's lack of sleep from the other night.

Daehyun sighed and stifled a yawn. He loved music, but lectures like the one he was receiving now bored the heck out of him.  He would much rather spend the time doing something more productive, like memorizing the lyrics of the new song he had been assigned or spending it at a certain park with a certain auburn haired, doe-eyed boy. Daehyun refocused his eyes back on the blackboard in front of the class, but he couldn't help his mind from drifting away again.

After a couple minutes of his teacher droning on Daehyun rested his head against his hands again and turned his gaze to the two large maple trees just outside his classroom. Almost all the leaves had fallen off and there were only a few left on the thinning branches. Nonetheless Daehyun found himself smiling. It reminded him of the small little park he had come to love. Afterall that's where he first met Youngjae.

I can't believe he actually talked to me, some random stranger, and now we're meeting again today. Daehyun had to stop himself from jumping up in excitement.

After what seemed like forever of exchanging random sticky notes and a little bit of presuading from his side. Daehyun finally got Youngjae to open up just a little more about himself. He was a high schooler currently in his junior year attending Seoul High. His favorite flavor of ice cream was green tea and he had a strong fondness to the color blue. Despite that the aspect that stood out most about Youngjae was his eyes. Sure they were innocent and big and a lovely chocolate color and whenever Daehyun found himself staring into them he would find his mind going blank. But Daehyun noticed something else about those eyes. During the few moments they locked gazes Daehyun realized Youngjae looked...lonely.

His eyes looked lonely and abandoned. And despite all the smiles Youngjae threw at him Daehyun could tell that he didn't truely mean them.

It was something that tore his at his heart and he made a promise to himself to try and get to know the delicate boy better.

Thawck!

"Ow!" Daehyun turned to glare at the person that threw the pen at him only to realize it was his teacher. He gulped.

The pen clattered to the floor, earning a few snickers from his fellow classmates.

"Jung Daehyun..." Mr. Lee stated, "I suggest you pay attention in class unless you would like a detention."

Sinking lower into his seat Daehyun merely muttered out a, "Yes Mr. Lee." and tried his best to focus on the rest of class.

Finally after what seemed like an enernity the bell rang signaling the end of afternoon classes. Daehyun shot out of his seat and ran out the door, not noticing the surprised expressions from the teachers and students.

Finally I get to go see--

"Daehyunnie oppa!"

He froze and mentally cursed. Oh crap.... He forced himself to turn around and immediately his gaze was met with the one person he never wanted to see ever again.

Lee Yoona.

If Daehyun was known to the school as the beautiful boy with the angelic voice, than Yoona was his girl equilvent. She was as beautiful as she was smart. Her slender s-line, matched with her long legs and petite face, topped off with long wavy reddish brown hair would make any boy drop to their knees. But that wasn't all she was known for. Daehyun was popular and he knew that, but he didn't go around flaunting his popularity. She did. Daehyun was warm and kind to everybody, only ever showing his other side when the people he cared about were being theatened. She was cold, rude and arrogant, only 'nice' to those she had her eye on. And she was ruthless a girl who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted.

"Hi Yoona." Daehyun spoke through clenched teeth. He tried to sound friendly, but it came out more forced.

"Daehyunnie oppa!" She flipped her hair and Daehyun internally cringed. "Lets go and get some bubble tea. I hear there's this great new sho-"

"Sorry Yoona, but I have other plans." Daehyun cut her off and turned to leave. "If that's all I really have to be going now."

Yoona stopped talking and walked up in front of him. "Yah." she said, her face looked calm, but her eyes were fierce. "You're just going to reject my offer? After all I've done for you?" She crossed her arms.

Now Daehyun was starting to get annoyed. His eyebrows furrowed in distaste. "And what have you ever done for me?"

She scoffed as if his question was the silliest thing ever. "Uhh hello...I confessed. Any other guy would have fainted on the spot. You all know I'm beautiful and beautiful people are meant to be together." She reached out to touch his arm.

Daehyun avoided the touch and tried his hardest to keep from lashing out at her. "Well I guess I'm the exception. I already told you I'm not interested. Now it you'll excuse me." He moved his way past her and walked out of the school.

He didn't catch the furious expression she wore as he walked past.

Hey did you see that? Yeah...she just got rejected by Daehyun.

Isn't this the second time?

Haha...wow even the Queen of this school can't get him. Looks like she isn't all that.

She heard all the whispering and snickering happening around her. They weren't exactly trying to be descrete. Her hands clenched into fists and she narrowed her eyes. How dare you Jung Daehyun. How dare you humiliate me.

She turned around and strutted back into the school. She shot a glare at a couple of freshman girls who were at their lockers whispering about what  happened. They snapped their mouths shut and scrambled away. An evil smirk made its way onto her face and she flipped her long hair over her shoulder.

Just you wait Jung Daehyun. No one rejects me. You will be mine.

ͼ

The bus screeched to a halt in front of a local convenience store, the same one that they've been stopping in front of for the past two days. Daehyun thanked the driver and stepped off. 

"Finally." He stretched and breathed in the crisp fall air. That bus ride took forever. I'm lucky I didn't fall asleep. "Now where's that park again?" Daehyun ran a hand through his hair and decided to just head where he felt it was right. In other words he just went with his instincts.

After about half an hour of 'following his instincts' Daehyun finally switched to just asking for directions, even if he was embarassed to do so. So with the newfound information he headed towards where the old lady at the supermarket told him to head towards. A short couple minutes later his eyes were once again met with their familiar little park. Daehyun let his eyes roam through the park again and he couldn't stop the small smile that curved its way onto his lips.

You know I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of this place. His eyes landed on the oak benches and he hoped to spot Youngjae on one of them. But when he came up empty he figured he was just early...again. He gave a small chuckle and stepped off the concrete sidewalk. It seems like I'm always beating Youngjae here.

Daehyun made his way towards the benches, choosing to sit down on the same one as yesterday. He ran a hand over the smooth, dark wood. He let his mind wander as he sat there waiting. Truthfully he had never expected to meet anybody special that day. In fact he never expected to meet anybody at all. He was just looking to get away from Himchan for a while. The memories of him flirting with Yongguk still made Daehyun shudder. It was a side of Himchan he never wanted to see again. Daehyun stopped his motions and his eyes grew somber.

Himchan.

Ever since that day in the boba shop he had been trying to find out what Himchan had stopped Yongguk from saying. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. It wasn't like Himchan to keep anything from him. They had been friends for years and always told each other everything no matter how embarassing or bad. The only time they kept things from each other was when they were playfully joking and even then Daehyun knew what Himchan was hiding. Himchan was like an open book and could be read easily by anybody. Which is one of the main reasons why Daehyun liked him as a friend.

So the fact that Himchan was hiding something...something he didn't even know...it scared him. And it stung a little, knowing that even though they were best friends he had no idea there was such a secret. And the fact that he told Yongguk before him...that hurt even more.

Just what was Himchan hiding that he wasn't even willing to tell his best friend. It was something he was determined to find out.

But before Daehyun could deliberate more about the matter he felt a sticky, cool sensation on his forehead. He looked back up to find out that there was a purple sticky note stuck to the top of his head. He peeled the small note off and read the delcicate handwriting written on top.

It's nice to see you again.

Daehyun laughed, temporairly forgetting about his earlier thoughts, and looked up to meet the eyes of his favorite auburn haired boy. Youngjae smiled back and sat down right besides Daehyun. The younger boy was wearing an outfit similar to the one he was wearing when Daehyun first saw him, only this time he had on a pair of black rimmed glasses. Daehyun had to admit he thought they suited him well. In his hands was the same small notebook he always seemed to carry around and in his ears were the same white earbuds he always seemed to wear.

Daehyun reached into his bag and pulled out his own pad of sticky notes, only his notes were yellow rather than purple. He uncapped his sharpie and wrote out a response. He stuck his note right on top of Youngjae's small journal.

You're late.

Youngjae gave Daehyun a look and smacked him lightly on his arm. However his tinkling laughter was an indication he was anything but mad. He shuffled just a little closer to the warm person besides him.

I had class. What did you expect?

Well I had class too, but I still beat you here.

Well not all of us are super fast at getting out of class. Did you ever think I had a life other than coming here?

Truth be told no.

Youngjae glanced down at Daehyun's current response and he issued a playful glare at the other. The conversation went on for a couple more exchanges. Each sticking sticky notes where ever they found possible: foreheads, arms, faces...basically anywhere but the park bench or the notebooks they both held. By the end of it all both boys found themselves laughing and giggling each trying to out sticky note the other.

This was a feeling Daehyun certainly had never felt before. Sure he was free to be himself with Himchan, but he had never felt as happy or carefree as he did when he was with Youngjae. It was as if Youngjae brought out a whole new side to Daehyun, making him experience emotions he never once thought he was capable of experiencing. The new emotions and feelings were coming on fast, but Daehyun felt that if Youngjae was by his side. He wouldn't mind the flurry of new emotions he began to feel.

After Daehyun had removed (to the best of his ability) all the sticky notes from his body he stole a glance over at Youngjae. Where he was playfully trying to blow off a yellow sticky note that was stuck to the top of his forehead. Although at the rate he was going it didn't look like the small piece of paper was going to go anywhere. Daehyun couldn't help the chuckle that left his lips and reached over to pluck the small note off.

Startled Youngjae widned his eyes and instinctively turned towards the direction he saw the hand coming from. He almost wished he hadn't. There directly in front of him only inches away from his face sat the boy that made his heart flutter in embarassing, untold ways. He could pratically feel Daehyun's breath fanning over his face as he breathed. The scent left him intoxicated and he could only sit there frozen, staring in awe.

Daehyun noticed Youngjae's lack of response when he removed the sticky note. He had expected a simple 'Thank you' or something, but then again he had yet to even hear Youngjae speak. So far he had only heard him laugh, but it was more than enough. Youngjae's laugh to him was something he could listen to forever. Letting his eyes trail downwards. They landed on a pair of lucious looking, pink lips. Youngjae's pink, lucious looking lips. Daehyun sat there there frozen, much like the younger was at the moment. His breathing hitched. His lips. They look so pink and nice. I wonder what they would feel like if...

He unconsiounsly his lips and starting leaning in closer and closer. His eyes fluttering shut until.......until he heard a small whimper escape from the space below him. Daehyun's eyes snapped open and immediately he locked gazes with the other. Youngjae was uncomfortably squirming below him and his eyes were darting back and forth between his lips and Daehyun's gaze. Realizing the position they were now in Daehyun immediately snapped out of his trance and shifted back to their original positions.

He coughed and rubbed one of his arms. "Sorry.." Daehyun breathed. He snuck another glance over and Youngjae who was blushing like no tomorrow, whether it as from Daehyun's words or his previous actions Daehyun wasn't sure. But what he was sure of was the fact that Youngjae looked even more adorable with a dark flush covering his cheeks and he resisted the urge to scoop the boy up and cuddle him.

I've already creeped him out enough. Daehyun looked away embarassed at what just happened. He tried to keep his mind occupied by counting the few remaining leaves on top of the trees, but he couldn't help thinking about the boy sitting next to him. I hope I didn't creep him out too much. Daehyun was just about to turn back and apologize again, until he felt something warm and soft being placed atop of one of his hands. It disappeared just as fast as it had appeared and he was left with a sticky, cold sensation. It was a sensation he was all too familiar with.

He looked down at the small note and read over Youngjae's words, expecting to be called a creeper and stalker or something even worse. He stared blankly at what he read.

Don't be. I was just surprised.

Daehyun looked up with confusion in his eyes. He opened his mouth to question Youngjae and what he meant with what he wrote, but at that moment in time a strangely strong breeze chose to make its way through the park trees. Its gust sending slight shivers down both boys spines. The chill caused Youngjae to reach up both his arms and hug his sweater tighter. The force of the breeze moved quite a few leaves off the trees and now they were slowly making their way down to earth. A few of them decided to land on top Youngjae's head, but he took no notice as he saw the couple leaves that chose to make Daehyun's head their landing place. Letting a soft laugh escape his lips Youngjae reached up a hand to brush off the large maple leaves on top the older's head.

Daehyun looked startled at Youngjae's actions, only to realize he was only getting the leaves off his head. While Youngjae was brushing off his head, Daehyun couldn't help but notice the one large maple leaf that landed perfectly in the center of the young boys hair. How Youngjae didn't notice the leaf was beyond what Daehyun could understand. He stifled a laugh. By this time Youngjae had finished getting rid of all the red, yellow, and orange on top of Daehyun's head and he sat back with a victorious smile.

"Thank you." Daehyun said touching the top of his head and fluttering his hair. "Although you might have missed a couple."

Youngjae looked at Daehyun in confusion, but before he could say anything Daehyun reached up his own hand and brushed off the leaves on top the others head. He kept a hold of the large maple leaf and dropped his hand to show Youngjae what he had found. There was a playful look in his eyes and he could see the light blush that made its way to Youngjae's cheeks. Even when your embarassed you look amazing.

Daehyun let out a small laugh as he let the leaf fall back down onto the fall covered earth. With that the awkward atmosphere from before seemed to vanish, like the early morning fog, leaving only a playful, friendly aura in is wake. Daehyun wiped his hands off and placed them back on his lap. His eyes traced the outline of Youngjae's face. He noticed that Youngjae was trying to look anywhere but directly at him. A light flush was still visible on his cheeks. The sight of Youngjae acting flustered over him was more than enough to make his heart swell.

His eyes then landed on the white ear phones he had seen on the boy ever since he first saw him. He always has those things on. I wonder...

"Hey," Daehyun placed a small poke to the back of Youngjae's hand. Youngjae immediately jerked upright and met his eyes. Daehyun had to stop himself from staring too long, but he couldn't help the rush of blood that flowed into his cheeks. "Remember last time when I asked what song you were listening to?"

Youngjae tilted his head to the side at Daehyun's words. Daehyun took a breath and continued. "Well I was wondering if I you could tell me now?" He had to admit curiosity was getting the better of him and he was hoping to find out more about Youngjae. So why not start off with the type of music he liked. If he found that they had similar tastes than it would be a great start. Taking Youngjae's silence as a 'yes' Daehyun reached up both hands to remove the ear phones from the others ears. What he didn't expect was the response he got in return.

Youngjae looked on with a hint of confusion clear in his eyes. It was obvious Daehyun wanted something, but he wasn't clear on what that something was. Until he saw two hands reaching for his headphones. Almost instantly both his hands flew up to cover his ears and he scooted away furthur on the bench shaking his head violently as he did so. Daehyun was...a little stunned, shocked not so much, but he was caught off guard. He let his eyebrows furrow in question and immediately he retracted his arms.

"Sorry," he breathed, not meaning to upset the other boy, "I probably should have asked you again huh?" He turned his head back at the boy sitting next to him. Although Youngjae didn't look as panicked as before, he was still staring at Daehyun with wide eyes. As if he was trying to contemplate his next move.

Daehyun sighed and ruffled his hair. "Ahh I'm sorry. I was just curious and I wanted to see what you were listening to and also you always have those head phones in your ears so I'm not even sure you can even hear what I'm saying--"

He would have rambled on, but at that moment he felt a hand touch his arm. It was the same soft hand as before. Daehyun stopped his mumbling and turned sideways again. Youngjae had unknowingly scooted closer and now had an arm holding on to him softly. The wide eyes were gone and replaced with a friendly gaze and a small smile. There was something else Daehyun caught in Youngjae's gaze, but it flashed by too quickly before he even had a chance to make out what it was. Daehyun opened his mouth to speak, but Youngjae held up a finger and pointed for him to look down.

Daehyun let his eyes drop downwards and he could plainly see a purple sticky note sitting inbetween the two of them.

You apologize a lot. It's okay I'm not mad, like I said earlier you just surprised me.

Once he had finished reading Daehyun let out a sigh of relief and he looked at Youngjae gratefully. Good. So I wasn't being too much of a creeper than.

"Ahh sor-" He caught himself before he finished and snuck a sheepish grin towards the boy next to him. "I was just worried that you would think I was--"

Before he could finish Youngjae held up another hand and flashed a playful smile. Daehyun looked on curiously as to what Youngjae was writing.

And also, lets continue talking using sticky notes.

Daehyun looked up, confusion evident in his eyes. "Youngjae why--"

Youngjae let out a huff of air, a little annoyed that Daehyun wasn't getting the message fast enough. He hastily scribbled out another note.

Because it's fun and I like it this way. And also this way people won't over hear what we're talking about. :)

Daehyun chuckled at Youngjae's reasoning. His lips curving into a smile. "But who would want to listen in on our conversation anyways?"

Youngjae pouted, his cheeks puffing a little at the sides and his lower lip protruding out just slightly enough to it was visible.

You're stubborn. Why can't you just go with the flow once in a while?

Daehyun read the note and laughed and Youngjae was about to go on into full on pout mode until he saw Daehyun reach for his bag and pull out the pad of sticky notes he had earlier. His lips curved up into a perfect 'u'.

On the other hand Daehyun figured it was easier to go with what Youngjae wanted. Gosh that boy... After all at least the sticky notes kept things interesting.

Fine. Fine. You can't even take a little teasing?

You weren't teasing. You were clearly trying to go against me. You're so mean.

You have no proof of that. And I'm the nicest person you'll ever meet.

No your not.

Yes I am.

No! xP

Yes! xD

By this time the raging sticky note war had begun again and once again both boys found themselves plastered randomly with sticky notes all over their bodies. Daehyun was trying his hardest to keep in his laughter as it was hard enough to write when a certain ear phoned obsessed boy was busy sticking sticky notes onto random places on your body. I feel like were talking about nonsense. But I don't mind. As long as he's happy.

Daehyun barely had enough time to finish his thought as he all of a sudden found a sticky note stuck right in the middle of his face. He peeled it off and glanced at what was written.

;P Mehrong! ~

He turned his head to aim a playful glare over at the other and he could see Youngjae trying to immitate the face he had just drawn. Although it was hard because he was laughing just as hard as Daehyun was before. Daehyun didn't even bother to try and hide his joy at the moment. Never had he imagined he would meet anybody as special as Youngjae. There was something about Youngjae that left an impression on him and it wasn't just how beautiful he looked. There was something more and although he couldn't quite figure out what it was yet.......Daehyun was sure of one thing.

His heart never felt as warm or complete as it did when he was with Youngjae.

ͼ

"Yah! Yongguk move back a little. I can't focus with you breathing down my neck like that." Himchan shoved one of his elbows back, sucessfully elbowing his boyfriend in the ribs.

"Ow!...yah," Yongguk stated rubbing his stomach, but stepping back nonetheless. "Don't forget that I am the one that drove you here and I even closed down shop today just to come with you here....becuase somebody didn't want to come alone..." He grumbled the last part and ran a hand through his hair. Luckily Himchan was too busy trying to get a better view from the tree he was hiding behind.

"Well...it's not my fault. Daehyun's not telling me anything lately. He didn't even wait for me after school today and when I tried to talk to him he just gave me a lame excuse and shot through the school gates like his life depended on it. I think as his best friend I have the right to know what's going on in his life."

Himchan had finally found a spot where he was comfortable and he was able to get a fairly clear view of the brown haired boy across the park. He squinted his eyes as he tried to make out what Daehyun was doing. From his angle he could see the brunete boy clearly, however his eyes couldn't quite make out who the other boy was. All he could see was a tuft of auburn colored hair sticking out from besides Daehyun and he couldn't help think how it matched with the colors of the park.

"And besides," Himchan added not taking his eyes off of the two boys, "I'm curious as to who this mysterious boy is that Daehyun keeps daydreaming about. It's not everyday I see him act like he did."

Yongguk sighed and went back to lean against the tree. "Yes, but I don't think that can entitle you to spy on other people. Whatever happened to right to privacy?"

Himchan tore his eyes away from the sight in front of him. "When I'm determined to find out something there is no such thing as right to privacy...or any other right for that matter...now shh!!" Himchan waved a hand towards his non-amused looking boyfriend. "I think they're talking....wait...what...are they doing?"

Curious as to what Himchan was seeing Yongguk peaked his head over his boyfriends and followed Himchan's gaze. It landed on a certain brown haired boy that he was certain to be Daehyun, considering they met yesterday and also another auburn haired boy whose face he couldnt quite make out. Both boys were covered in yellow and purple sticky notes and he could see that Daehyun was trying to place more of the sticky pieces of paper on the boy next to him. Yongguk let a small smile touch his lips as he looked on at the playful scene.

A feeling of nostalgia and longing washed through him. Yongguk blinked and scooted back taking his eyes away from the scene in front of him. He held a hand to his heart and glanced over at a certain black haired male who was now trying to climb the large maple tree to try and get a better view.

It's been a while since I've felt these things. But I'm glad he's happy now.

"Gukkie!" Himchan called. He had been trying to climb the maple tree to get a better view and possibly catch the face of the unknown auburn haired boy, but he found himself stuck between two branches. He was never really a good tree climber. Seeing that Yongguk continued staring off into space he tried again.

"Yongguk!" he called, this time using his real name. That snapped Yongguk out of his daydream and he looked towards the direction of Himchan's voice.

His eyes were met with the sight of Himchan awkwardly clinging onto the branches of the tree trying not to fall off. "Channie?" He laughed. "How did you get up there?"

"Umm...I climbed?" Himchan squirmed."Now help me get down please? I feel like I'm about to fall." Truthfully he felt like the branches were going to give way anytime now. Maybe climbing a tree wasn't such a good idea.

He nervously bit his lip as he tried to maneuver his feet so they could climb down. That only resulted into him clinging onto the branches harder for dear life.

Laughing Yongguk did nothing but cross his arms. "Gukkie, what are you doing?"

Yongguk caught Himchans gaze (more like glare) and smiled. Himchan thought that smile looked more like a smug smirk. Oh shoot....

"If I help you get down do you promise not to spy on Daehyun anymore?" Himchan closed his eyes in annoyance. He should have seen this coming. After all Yongguk always was the responsible one in their relationship. Which was a nice balance really considering he lacked common sense most of the time.

He whined a little and tried to reason. "But Gukkie, don't I at least have the right to know who he's been seeing for the past couple days. Come on."

Yongguk sighed and dropped his arms. "Channie, maybe he's not ready to tell you yet. After all it has only been two days."

Himchan opened his mouth to protest but Yongguk beat him to it. "When he's ready he'll tell you...trust me." Yongguk flashed his famous smile, the one that always made Himchan give way to anything.

"Fine, alright. Now just get me down please?" He pouted a little.

Yongguk chuckled at his boyfriends attempt at a pout and held out his arms. "Just jump. I'll catch you."

Himchan's pout shifted into a gleeful smile and he got ready to jump. Only before he had a chance to the branch supporting most of his weight snapped with a defining crack. He let out a small, but audible scream as he felt his body fall towards the earth unprepared for the landing.

Yongguk saw the branch break and instinctively moved to catch his falling Himchan. Himchan landed into the safety of his boyfriends arms with a small grunt. He felt the warmth radiate off them immediately and he looked up grateful.

"Thanks Gukkie. I'm glad you didn't let me face plant. That would have been bad." Himchan let out a short laugh. Yongguk just sighed and brushed the leaves out of Himchan's hair.

"You're always so clumsy you know that?" But he couldn't help the smile that appeared on his face. He set Himchan down and made sure he was stable. "Now if you're done, can we go now?"

Himchan let out a "Nope!" and proceeded to make his way back to his original spot.

Yongguk stood there somewhat shocked. "But I thought we just promised you wouldn't spy on them anymore."

"This isn't spying. It's observing." Himchan gave a sly smirk, clearly proud of the loophole he found.

Yongguk let out another sigh and shook his head muttering a, "Himchan you are unbelievable."

"I know," came the response. "Now shh! I'm trying to observe."


 

 

 

A/N: I realized as I was writing this that it had gotton a little long again so I'm going to split it into two chapters like last time. :)
Hm? it seems like there are yet more secrets to be discovered. (I'll give you a hint though: what are the characters doing?) No worries all (or most) shall be revealed soon. In the meantime I hope you all enjoyed this update. :)
Oh and I hope the sticky note conversations dont bother you guys too much. They play a very important role in this story so please bear with them.
Once again thank you for reading and commenting :D I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my little story *hugs and kisses*
~ Yumi