The Meeting

Love Language

 

"Daehyun! Hurry up we're already late!!" Himchan hollered from across the school yard.

Daehyun hurried over, panting slightly as he did, dark brown hair slightly jostled from the light wind he created from running. He tried to ignore the stares he was getting from his fellow classmates, a majority of them girls, but he accidently caught a few of them and they looked away squealing and blushing. Daehyun let a small sigh escape his lips, trying his hardest not to let his annoyance show. He wasn't interested in anybody in his school anyways. They were all too shallow and self-centered for his taste. The 'love' that everyone claimed for him was only because of his looks or his voice.

His voice...

Daehyun had a voice unlike any other.

It was able to sooth and calm even the angriest person, yet at the same time able to ignite a spark of fire and passion in the calmest of souls. It was like melting honey dripping slowly over a rounded spoon. It was smooth and soft, yet strong and powerful all at the same time.

Some say it was only natural for a boy his calibur to have a voice like that. Others have said that it was a gift from angels, who decided Daehyun to be worthy enough to receive their gift. As a regular student of the music department it was required for him to sing everyday or else he wouldn't pass and everyday there seemed to be hordes of fan girls all crowding outside the music room just to hear even one note uttered from those perfect lips. The teachers often had to shoo them away.

It was no doubt that Daehyun was popular at school. In fact the word popular was more like an understatement. Girls swooned over his good looks and heavenly vocals, guys looked on with a mixture of jealousy and envy, and even the teachers seemed to always favor him. Good looks and a perfect singing voice wasn't all that Daehyun was known for, his grades were beyond comparsion and he was almost always at the top of his class. On top of that he was athletic, able to play and play well almost every sport. And not to mention he could also dance, even though he had just started taking a dance class (much against his will) his dancing could put even experts to shame.

Everybody had a different reason to 'love' Daehyun. And really why should they not? But there was one thing that everyone agreed on and envied about him...and that one thing was his voice.

Daehyun was about halfway to making it to where Himchan was standing. He couldn't wait to get out of school. As he was walking his eyes wandered and accidently caught a group of girls staring at him. They turned away immediately and covered their faces with their hands, squealing loudly as they did.

"O-omo did you see that?" One girl said. "He totally looked over here."

"Omigosh!! Why didn't I put make-up on today?!"

"Gahh!! Why is he so perfect? His voice is amazing."

By this time all the girls were pratically jumping up and down and squealing so loudly that the entire campus could probably hear them. Daehyun turned away and tried not to show just how ticked off he was. It was well known that Daehyun had a lot of female fans. He knew it as well. The constant letters in his locker and confessions everyday had made it all but discrete. But Daehyun was never one to flaunt his popularity or talent.

He just loved to sing. Singing was his passion, his inspiration. He worked hard to get his voice to where it was. So it always made him mad when people said it was just "natural talent", like singing came to him easily, like there was no hard work put in at all. In truth singing did come naturally to him, but he had to work hard to perfect his voice and make it sound like it did now. So when people said it was just natural to him, he felt as though they were disregarding his hardwork. It might have been taken as a compliment, but those comments always made him feel overpressured and stressed.

The people there were just too dumb and stuck-up to realize what hardwork was even if it struck them in the face.

"Hyung!" Daehyun called as he approached the spot where Himchan was standing. He waved his hand over his head.

Thwack!

"Ow!" Daehyun held his now sore and slightly red arm against his body and shot Himchan a glare. "What was that for?!"

Himchan just rolled his eyes. "You should know...because of you we've missed our bus and now we're going to have to walk..." Himchan muttered a couple more complaints, but Daehyun chose to ignore those.

"Why were you so late anyways? You knew we had somewhere to go after school."

Daehyun dropped his arm and heaved a sigh. He suddenly found the school gate to be very interesting to look at. "Sorry," he mumbled. "I got caught up again."

Himchan's gaze immediately softened. "Who was it this time?"

Daehyun coughed lightly and looked back to meet Himchan's gaze. "Yoona...she caught up with me after school and asked me to go out with her...or more like demanded," Daehyun added under his breath.

"I'm sorry." Himchan lightly patted his shoulder.

"It's alright Hyung. I'm okay. I'm just getting tired of all this." Daehyun gave a small laugh although there wasn't any effort put in to make it sound real.

Himchan smiled and slung an arm over Daehyun's shoulder. "Don't worry, you'll find someone soon."

Another laugh left Daehyun's lips, but this time there seemed to be some emotion. He turned to Himchan and gave a small smile. "Yeah...I just hope they're out there somewhere."

With that he maneuvered out of Himchan's grasp and started to walk down the sidewalk away from the school.

"Aish..." Himchan dropped his arms and quickly ran up to catch up with his best friend. "I'm sure they are," He encouraged, walking along the edge of the sidewalk.

"You just have to find them."

Daehyun just nodded and they continued walking.

Sometimes popularity isn't as glorious as people always make it out to be. A person could have it all, yet at the same time have nothing at all and this described Daehyun perfectly. Everyday a constant swarm of people, mostly girls, were constantly trying to 'be his friend', they were constantly declaring their love for him and always trying to get him to go out with them. They always claimed to love his face or his voice, but never him. If he was just another average student with average looks and an average voice they would have ignored him like a speck of dirt. But no, they swarmed to him like moths to a light.

Daehyun could never tell whose intentions were true and whose were fake, so he just shut them all out as best he could. Only ever talking when he needed to. It was just better and easier that way. Having everything, yet having nothing at all. It was exactly how Daehyun felt. But Daehyun was lucky though...lucky how? He met Himchan. You could say Himchan was the only true friend he had and well Himchan was...Himchan. He could be read like an open book and his intentions could always be guessed by his expressions. It was obvious to Daehyun that Himchan wouldn't ever deceive him or trick him...or it was more like he couldn't. Still Daehyun felt as if something was missing. With Himchan he was at least able to put up with all the lies and fakeness that ran around his school, but there was a hole in his heart waiting to be filled.

Himchan was his best friend, but that's all he would ever be to Daehyun. He was glad that the feeling was mutual. He wanted the void in his heart to be filled. He wanted to find that somebody that didn't just like him for his looks or voice, but for him. Daehyun was getting tired of all the confessions from girls that claimed to 'love' him.

For once in his life, he wanted to be in a relationship where he was loved for who he was.

Smack!!

"OWWW!!"

The loud noise awoke Daehyun from his trance and he turned to look for Himchan, only to find him smack dab in the middle of the cement sidewalk rubbing his forehead. A look of pain and annoyance was obvious in his features.

"What happened to you?"

A large red mark was now starting to appear on top of the spot where Himchan was rubbing. "Nothing..." He muttered. "Just ran into a pole."

"What?"

Himchan gave Daehyun an aggrivated look. "I just ran into a pole okay?! And now I'm going to have a huge bruise in the middle of my beautiful face."

Daehyun tried his hardest to stifle his laugh...but he failed miserbly. Clutching his stomach, tears were starting to form from how hard he was laughing.

"Y-yah! Don't laugh at me! I'm a victim here!"

"Sure Hyung," Daehyun said wiping his watery eyes. "A victim of what exactly?"

"Pole Abuse!!!! I bet you this darn pole was put here just so I would run into it and damage my beautiful forehead." He rubbed his forehead tenderly.

"But still...how could you not see the light pole? I mean it's kind of obvious," Daehyun gestured to the lamp post.

"I told you that stupid pole was put there just so it could hurt me!" By this time Himchan had gotton up and was muttering angrily at the pole.

Chuckling Daehyun lightly patted an annoyed Himchan's shoulder. "Right.....well I'll be sure to tell them next time not to put light poles out where they can hurt you. Okay?"

Himchan broke out into a smile. "Really? You'd do that Daehyunnie!! Aww your such a good friend. What would I do without you." He tried to throw his arms around Daehyun's neck, but Daehyun quickly avoided his hug and manuvered out of the way. Leaving Himchan to almost fall to the ground......again.

"Yah! Jung Daehyun!"

Laughing Daehyun quickly ran up ahead leaving a slighly annoyed and bruised Himchan to run after him.

ͼ

An hour later the two boys stood in front of what looked llike a small bubble tea shop. The shop had a large sign that hung over head that spelled out the words "Matoki Boba Shop" and it was decorated with pictures of bunnies. Although they certainly weren't the kind of bunnies Daehyun was used to seeing. Sratching his head he turned back towards Himchan and said, "Umm...where did you say we were going again?"

Himchan gave him 'How in the world can you not know?' look, but proceeded to explain anyways. "I told you, we're going to this new bubble tea shop that just opened up and I wanted to be one of the first to try their boba. I heard they make really good boba." He was on the verge of just running into the shop, but he had to stop himself because a certain somebody was still standing there looking as confused as ever.

Daehyun blinked and hend up a hand. "Okay wait...so let me get this straight. You tell me we're going somewhere special today and I specifically took the time this morning to out some effort into my clothes and hair. I even asked the teacher if I could leave a little early because you specifically told me not to be  late, which got me another hour's worth of homework tonight. Then I had to suffer through yet another confession and this one was the worst yet! Then once I got through all that I get smacked by you and all that for....bubble tea?"

"Yupp!" Himchan grinned.

Daehyun's right eye gave a small twitch and he was trying hard to control the urge to just smack the living daylights out of his best friend.

Noticing his best friend's anger he quickly held up both hands and yelled, "Wait! Wait! Before you start beating me at least give it a chance alright? I promise you it will all be worth it." Himchan gave a small wink.

With a rather loud sigh Daehyun gave in. "Fine. But the bubble tea better be good here and you're paying." He pointed an accusing finger at the black haired male and then proceede to walk into the shop muttering something along the lines of 'unbelievable'.

Himchan jumped a little then proceeded to follow Daehyun in. Inside the shop was just as strange as the outside. The walls of the shop seemed to be decorated with the same type of bunnies as they saw on the sign, but this time they were portrayed in what seemed to be a cartoon story. There was even a spaceship drawing and and old man drawing that looked an awful lot like the man from the KFC chicken commercials.

Daehyun just shook his head. *Himchan in all the years that I've known you I will still never be able to understand you.*

"Good Afternoon! Welcome to Matoki Bubble Tea Shop! How may I help you?" A particullary deep voice from the counter stated.

Himchan gave Daehyun a 'Didn't I tell you it would all be worth it?' look. Then proceeded to make his way to the counter lightly swaying his hips as he did so.

Then it clicked.

Daehyun rolled his eyes. *Yeah worth it for you Hyung. I knew we weren't just coming here for the bubble tea* With a sigh he sat down on one of the many colorful chairs and proceeded to occuy himself with trying to make sense of the cartoons on the wall. *I don't think I'm going to get my bubble tea anytime soon.*

ͼ

"Aishh.....how in the world did I manage to get lost?" A very frustrated Daehyun scratched his head as he tried to recall his way back to the small bubble tea shop that he and Himchan had went to visit earlier.

It had been just over an hour and the bubble tea was actually really good, but Daehyun couldn't handle being in the same room as his best friend anymore as he flirted and giggled with the cashier of the shop. He actually was a very romantic person at heart, but there was only so much he could actually take of romantic sappyness. So he told Himchan that he was going for a short walk and that he would be back soon.

"I need to remind myself never to follow Himchan anywhere again." Daehyun was muttering quietly to himself trying to figure out where exactly in the world he was. It was a part of town that he had never really been to before and so the last 20 minutes had been spent on him trying to figure his way around the streets.

Finally he came to a stop in front of a small park. Daehyun stopped muttering and looked up. His eyes widened.

Although the park was small, it looked beautiful nonetheless. The park had a little clearing littered with a couple tall maple trees scattered here and there. Fall was well underway and so the ground was covered with a layer of orange, red, and yellow. Daehyun took a step off the sidewalk. The fallen leaves crunching under his feet and as he got closer he could see that there were even a couple benches placed conveniently in the middle of the clearing.

"Wow," Daehyun breathed "This place is beautiful." At this point in time a small breeze chose to make its way through the trees and Daehyun could faintly make out the rustling of leaves. A couple of stray leavees floated their way past him and he followed them with his eyes.

The leaves landed on one of the little benches. Its bright color contrasting greatly with the dark oak.

It was then and there that Daehyun forgot how to breathe.

On that bench along with the floating leaves was a young boy looking about the same age as himself. He had bright auburn colored hair that matched the colors of the park perfectly making it seem like he was part of the landscape. He was wearing a light v-neck sweater that complimented his body nicely, what appeared to be dark blue skinney jeans, and a pair of black converses were on his feet. As Daehyun continued to stare he could make out that this boy also had perfectly plump, rose tinted lips and large chocolate colored eyes.

*He's......beautiful.*

Continuing to stare he noticed that the boy currently had two earphones in his ears and appeared to be writing something down in what looked like a small journal. His head was bobbing slightly to the beat of the song he was listening to. 

For the moment that Daehyun forgot how to breathe something in him warmed and filled. His breathing quickened, his palms started to get sweaty, and he could feel his heart skip a beat. Without realizing it he had already started walking towards the boy, leaves crunching lightly under the pressure of his feet. As he got closer he could indeed see that the boy was more beautiful than he originally thought. He was left breathless as he stood silently, now in front of the little bench.

The boy continued to write in his notebook.

*Wow...this boy is beautiful...I wonder what would happen if I talked to him?* Gaining a little courage at the thought of talking to the boy Daehyun cautiously sat down, all the while keeping his eye on the young boy to see if he would notice and look up.

But the boy didn't even seem to notice the leaves that landed besides him, much less the the extra person now in the seat next to him and he continued to write and bob in head slightly in the beat of the music he was listening to. Daehyun slightly leaned towards his head towards him.

"Um...nice day today huh?"

The boy continued to write.

Not knowing whether to feel disappointed or relieved Daehyun just sat there awkwardly, not knowing what to do, all earlier confidence seeming to vanish. Slightly crushed he fiddled with his fingers.

Then suddenly he got an idea.

*Hopefully this will work...Good thing I brought my school bag along with me.* As quickly and as silently as possible he pulled his school bag off his shoulder and proceeded to rummage through it looking for one specific object. *Aha! Found it.*

Daehyun pulled out a small grey spiral notebook, it was one he used often for doodling in when he was bored in class. He pretended to flip through the pages looking as if he was reading the text written there, when in reality that book was filled with random drawings and doodles.

Biting his lower lip Daehyun leaned in towards the other. "Um...can I borrow your pen?"

There was no answer. So he tried again this time plucking up the courage to give the boy a small poke on the shoulder.

"Hey, can I borrow your pen?"

Startled the boy looked up and gazed around him, his eyes finally landing on the dark haired boy sitting next to him. Daehyun noticed that his eyes seemed to widen ever so slightly and that a little extra color appeared on his cheeks.

Daehyun bit his lip. *Well you've got him to look at you and he's even more beautiful from the front view..wait what am I thinking? Okay ahh come on Daehyun you can do this.*

Taking a breath Daehyun tried again. "Ahh...your pen. Can I borrow it?"

The boy just continued to stare at him, blinking innocently with those large eyes of his. Until he realized that Daehyun had said something and silently he pointed to the earphones still located in his ears.

"Oh...your pen." Daehyun pointed to his pen and proceeded to make writing motions with his hand.

Giving a small nod the boy handed him his pen and waited patiently for it to be handed back.

Daehyun quickly took it and scribbled down something irrelevent in his notebook. He handed the pen back with a nod of his head and a small 'Thanks'.

The boy flashed a small smile and looked back down to continue writing in his notebook.

Daehyun was just about to say something else when all of a sudden a very loud and annoying noise disrupted the both of them.

Ring.

Ring.

Daehyun hurridly fished his phone out of his pocket. He pressed the 'answer' key without even glancing at the caller id and regretted it immediately.

"DAEHYUN!!!" Himchan's booming voice could be heard throughout the park even though it was coming through the phone. Daehyun held the phone away from his ears. "WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU?!"

"Hyung shhhhh....." Realziing what was happening Daehyun tried to shush the older because he didn't want to scare away the boy he just met. He glanced worriedly at the other.

"Dont you 'shhhhh' me!!It's been over an hour and your still not back?!! Where in the world are you? I thought you were just going for a short walk! Do you know how worried I'm getting?!!"

Frantic Daehyun quickly spilled out a, "Don't worry Hyung, I'm fine. I'll call you back soon okay?"

"Wha-don't you dare hang up on me! Yah! Jung Dae-" Daehyun quickly pressed the 'end' button on his cell and turned off his phone. He wasn't taking anymore chances.

"Ahh I'm sorry about that." Daehyun glanced back at the other and tried to apoligize only to find that he didn't even seem fazed by the conversation that just took place right next to him.

Realizing that it was only a matter of time before an angry Himchan came and found him, Daehyun realized that he should probably find him first before things really got ugly. And he didn't want the boy he just met to witness an angry Himchan. He would probably be scarred for life and then there would go his chances of ever seeing him again. Daehyun gave a small shudder at the thought. He didn't want to imagine it.

"Um...I have to go now, but can I see you again tomorrow?" He mentally smacked himself. *God that came out sounding so wrong. I hope he doesn't take it the wrong way.*

The boy just blinked and looked back up at him. He slightly tilted his head and gave a small smile. Daehyun's heart nearly stopped. *Oh God...his smile...* Taking that as a yes he hastily blurted out a 'goodbye' and proceeded to get up from the bench and make his way out of the park, heart thumping erratically. Daehyun didn't even glance back, if he had he would have caught the look of confusion that appeared on the boys delicate features and the hint of slight sadness that flashed in his eyes.

Once he was out of sight of the park, Daehyun stopped to catch his breath and calm his heartbeat. *What is wrong with me today? First I get flustered by a boy and now I'm having troubles with my heart? Aish...* He scratched his head.

A small smile graced his lips as he thought about the boy again.

*Though maybe...I should follow Himchan more often...* Daehyun chuckled lightly to himself.

He reached for his phone and went on to call a now panicking Himchan, all the while keeping the mysterious auburn haired boy in the back of his mind.

He couldn't wait for tomorrow to come.

 


 

 

 

A/N: Whew...long chapter...but here it is. There was a lot that needed to be said, so I hope it wasn't too boring.
Next chapter gets better, I promise. I hope you all enjoyed it nonetheless. Can you guess who this beautiful boy is?
~ Yumi