CHAPTER 6

The Guy From Across the Street

Me, My Books, and My Brother


“Wae?” I asked as if I wasn’t so happy about hearing my name from him.

“Thank you! I would’ve been screwed if you hadn’t helped me.” He said.

“Ah, you’re welcome then.” I smiled at him.

“Well I guess I’ll go to the cafeteria before they run out on food! You wanna come with?” he generously offered.

“Uh, no thank you.” I sadly replied.

“Okay. Catch ya later then?” he said before running off to the cafeteria.

I was over the top with joy because I finally knew him! I talked to him, I sat beside him, and he offered to accompany him to lunch! Kya~!!!

I then headed to the library. I chose a table with no other student on it and put my things down. The library was the best part of the school. It was really quiet and the range of books it had was almost infinite. I usually head to the World History section where I look for an interesting book to lay my eyes on.

I ran my fingers through the books on the shelf as I read their titles. “GREEK GODS” one read. It was the book I was always looking for but wasn’t there because someone had always borrowed it. I quickly snatched the book and headed to my table. Not many students really visit the library for this kind of reason. They commonly go here because of homework.

I made myself comfortable and opened the book. Something I think all bookworms do is sniff the open book before actually reading it. I did it and the book smelled like the usual paper. But as I rose from the book, I saw something foul; an eyesore, a dark cloud in the blue sky, my brother.

I didn’t notice it when I went in but Kyuhyun was behind the librarian’s desk looking as if he WERE the librarian. In fact, he looked quite innocent. It didn’t look like he was there because of a prank. I decided to approach him and ask what’s up.

I took the book with me in case somebody tried to steal from me again.

“What are you doing here?” I asked with an eyebrow raised.

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m the assistant librarian.” He answered proudly. “At least for the whole month.” He bitterly added.

“Ha! So this is a punishment!” I concluded in joy.

“Shh! Be quiet!” he said to me.

“What’d you do?” I asked this time seriously.

“I put a fake cockroach toy on a teacher’s sandwhich.” He replied proudly.

“Yaaahh~ How did you even do that?” I asked in genuine amazement of my brother’s immensely dangerous abilities.

“You have a lot to learn dear sister.” He smirked. “Are you going to borrow that book?” he asked because he noticed the book I had.

“Uh, yeah. Will you check it out for me Mr. Assistant Librarian?” I asked teasing him.

He took the book and took the card from the back and kept it in the drawer of the desk.

“Hmm, today is Monday, so be sure to return the book by Friday.” He said strictly.

“Aye, aye oppa.” I replied and walked back to my table.

I put the book on the table and started flipping. Zeus, Hercules, Aphrodite and more. I kept reading as each Greek God flashed on the pages. I checked my watch, “10:30”.

“I better head to my next class.” I thought. I closed the book and took it with me. As I passed by the Librarian’s desk, I waved goodbye to Kyuhyun and he replied with a nod.

The next subject was my dreaded nightmare, Mathematics IV. It felt like the worst subject of all time! Whenever the professor gave out an equation to solve, I couldn’t for the life of me get the correct answer at once. I always needed a couple more examples to really get the idea but the teacher was way to fast for me. It was like he was always on fast forward while I was still on pause.

“Alright class, take your seats.” The Professor said.

I took a seat in the middle part of the classroom to remain neutral. If I sat in front, I’d always be called, it’d be the same if I was at the back because I’d look like I was hiding. So I sat in the middle to even out the odds.

I gulped as he started his lesson, tension was all over me. So I took out m pen and notebook. All I could do was take down what the teacher said since I can’t really solve them on my own.

The class went on miraculously without me getting called on and not knowing the answer. When the professor said “Class dismissed.” I practically rejoiced!

“I got through the first day without getting humiliated!”

The rest of the day was uneventful. It almost bored the hell out of me.

That afternoon, I started walking home. I looked at the sidewalk on the other side to see if Jongin was also heading home. But the sidewalk was blank. No one else was walking there. To my depression, I stared at the ground as I walked only to be attacked by my brother.

Kyuhyun wildly slung his arm around me while I was walking. I nearly fell over!

“Yah~ Dongsaeng!” he bellowed.

“You EGGHEAD! My face almost met the ground!” I snapped.


This chapter, I must admit is extremely boring. But I included it for a little bit of getting to know Jiyeon and her brother! :D