CHAPTER 10

The Guy From Across the Street

In the Face of Jealousy


I combed my hair as I ran my marathon to school. Then another look at my wristwatch, 6:50.

“My class starts at 7!” I yelled mentally.

With another huff, puff, and trudging, I sat myself down and tried to catch my breath.

The professor entered and stated, “Take out the notebooks I asked from you as homework.”

“NOTEBOOK?! Notebook! I needed a notebook!” I whisper-panicked to myself.

Now, obviously one adorable angel heard my plead.

“Yah, Jiyeon-ah!” Jongin whispered.

I turned my head to him in delight.

“Here, I have a spare.”

He then handed me an identical notebook as he had on his desk.

I accepted the notebook and mouthed the words ‘thank you’.

Jongin smiled in return.

The professor gave me a funny look but she just went on through the class to check on their notebooks.

“Your homework is to treat that notebook as a journal, a diary, if you must. I want all of you to write down what happens to your life at school, at home, or wherever you feel like it. Who knows? Maybe I’ll get bits and pieces of actual literature in the things you write in there? This assignment is for the whole year, alright? So deadline is certainly not a problem.” The teacher said.

With a couple of snickers and giggles from the class after what she’d said, the class had no choice but to agree.

“I can’t believe it! A diary?! Pfft..” a classmate from behind teased.

I honestly liked the homework because it didn’t require much effort! All we have to do is submit a diary by the end of the year! We should be thankful!

I picked up my notebook and scanned the outside and flipped through its pages.

It was a pretty innocent-looking notebook.

Pretty decent actually.

Perfect for my doodles and drawings of course!

I smiled strangely to myself as I was looking at the notebook.

“Careful! The notebook might smile back!” Jongin whispered/snickered.

With that, I put the notebook down and laughed along.

“Alright, dismissed.” The teacher finally announced.

I gathered the pens I had scattered on my table while I was doodling and got up.

“Hey, uh thanks again for the notebook!” I nearly forgot to tell Jongin.

“Don’t mention it! Wanna join me for lunch?” he asked.

Then and there, I died. The end.

“Uhm, sure!” I uttered after a whole decade of silence.

We both headed to the cafeteria, but on the way there…

“Yah! Jiyeon-ah! You crazy lady.” Kyuhyun blocked us.

At that instant my dazed and cloudy expression quickly turned into a much more sullen one.

“What?” I answered annoyed.

“You forgot the notebook. I thought you needed it?” he was waving the notebook he gave me. “Hey, neighbor!” he continued as he noticed Jongin’s presence.

Jongin smiled and bowed in reply.

“She nearly got in trouble for not having one a while ago.” Jongin added. “I had a spare, so I gave it to her.”

“Oh, thanks then!” he replied rather politely to Jongin. “Now, come on. Mom sent us lunch!” he beckoned for me.

I turned to Jongin uncomfortably. 

“It’s alright! I’ll probably find some guys to eat with! Plus you’re mom would get upset if you don’t eat!” he cheerfully said.

“Alrighty then!” Kyuhyun had already swung his arm around me.

“See you later, Jiyeon!” Jongin waved goodbye.

I waved sadly back.

“Sooo, are you buying me lunch or what?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Wha- I thought mom sent us lunch?” I asked in confusion.

“Nope. I just said that.”

“You worthless little worm! First you kill my alarm, now this?!”

“Hehe.. You wouldn’t wake up! So I killed it!” he shrugged.

“And what on earth makes you think that I’d treat you to lunch?! Mom gives us the same amount of money every week!” I stomped.

“Because I’m your handsome big brother!” Kyuhyun replied mindlessly.

I raised my hand and hit him on the head.

“AAH!”

“Come on. We’re going to the cafeteria.” I said leaving him in pain.

After taking forever just for Kyuhyun to choose between chicken meat or beef, we sat ourselves at an empty table.

“God, you were serious. I had to pay for everything!” I spat in annoyance as I sat down.

“Come on! It was one lousy sandwich! You’re so stingy. Hehe, so what’s with you and Jongin?” he teased as he held on to his sandwich.

“What are you talking about?” I shifted his suspicion.

“Why were you two…together.” He tilted his head.

“Okay, that’s creepy. It’s not even cute at all.”

“Sheesh, come on. You like him don’t you?”

“Wha-No! I was being nice! He saved me from our professor for petesake! It was the least I could do.”

“Hm, 3.” He said and took a bite.

“What? What are you on about now? What about 3?” I demanded.

“I ashked you one queshtion and you gave me shree very wordy reashons.” He muffled as he chomped away.

“Ugh, psh, tch… that was because I was explaining.” I rambled.

Kyuhyun chewed on and just stared at me.

He swallowed and said, “You like him.”

I frowned and furrowed my eyebrows at him and rolled my eyes.

“No, I don’t.” I said and took a sip of my soda.

“Well then you wouldn’t mind if he happens to get a girlfriend?” Kyuhyun eyed to the other direction.

I turned to follow his gaze. I saw Jongin with a girl. She was holding her tray and so was he. They seemed happy with one another. The girl was laughing while Jongin was smiling back at her.

It was a painful sight so my mood sunk even lower. I took a deep breath and answered my brother.

“No. That’s his business.”  And I gulped down the last of my soda.

Kyuhyun smiled. “Jealousy doesn’t suit you.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Tch, just shut up and eat.”

I watched as the girl threw herself to Kai in attempts of somehow seducing him.

I tightened my grip on the soda can and crushed it.

“Talk about sore loser.” Kyuhyun commented. “Yah, don’t take it so seriously. A guy like him is bound to get a girl like that.” He continued.

I looked down and accepted what he had said and just sighed.

“I gotta go. I’ve got class. See you at the house, Jiyeon!” he patted my head as he ran off.

I took another deep breath and headed to my locker.

On my way, I thought of the image that had formed in my head about Kai. I thought he was different, not like the mainstream overconfident guys that overpopulate the school. I thought of him as the good humble guy because he was nice to me.

“Oh well…” I muttered to myself as I opened my locker.

“Hey, Jiyeon!” Kai hopped next to me.

Usually, this would send me over the moon with happiness, but it was different now.

“Uh, hey.” I mindlessly answered.

“Do you know a girl named, Krystal?” Jongin continued.

I felt my eyebrows rise up. “Yeah. What about her?”

“Tch, she was the girl throwing herself all over him in the cafeteria. Typical, he’s probably going out with her already. What a waste.” I kept my bitter thoughts to myself.

“Is she a friend of yours?” he turned to me.

I did the same and answered, “No. Not at all. Why do you ask? Are you going to ask her out?”

I didn’t think about the words that had come out of my mouth but I was just too busy thinking about how he’s ruined my image of him.

Kai appeared to be a little caught off guard by my question but I just buried myself in my locker and fiddled with my things.

“Uh, no. I don’t like her. She’s not my type of girl.” He just shrugged. “I asked you if she was your friend because you might get mad if you heard what I had just said about her.” He explained.

“I don’t get it. Why? Why is he explaining? He didn’t need to. Who am I to be explained to? I’m not his girlfriend!” I thought but way deep inside, I loved how he was confiding to me.

“Oh, uhm… yeah, I’ve got classes sooo…” I trailed off.

“Hm? Oh yeah! I do too!” he giggled. “Let’s walk home together later, okay?” Kai offered and before I could ever answer, he had already gone off.


Hello readers! I haven't updated this fic in a while but now I did! Soo... to anyone who is reading this or WILL read this, thank you, enjoy, and happy reading!! :D