CHAPTER 5

The Guy From Across the Street

Me and My Head


Oh how I wish his locker was next to mine. I’d have the privilege of seeing him every time I go to mine. Please, please~Pretty please? I prayed.

Finally, the puzzled guy stopped dead in front of the locker…NEXT TO MINE! YES! Thank you!

“Ah~ I finally found it!” he stated in success.

I, on the other hand made myself look busy looking into my locker. He twisted the dial for the code while looking at the piece of paper in his hand and pulled on the handle. But his smile was wiped off when the locker remained close after he had entered the code and pulled on the handle.

“Aiish! What did I do now?!” he whispered in frustration.

OH! What do I do? Should I help him? Should I just leave him to it? Aren’t guys offended when girls do something for them? I think they all have that kind of complex! I really think they do! I mean with the whole men and maps thing was just a start. They really don’t like being helped especially from a girl! OOOoooohhh!! What am I doing?!

I rambled in my head as the poor guy kept repeating the instructions to open the locker. Should I help him or not? Come on Jiyeon, decide already!

Then out of nothing, I pulled my face away from my locker and looked at the exasperatedly cute guy next to me. “E-excuse me.” I mumbled. I didn’t think that he’d hear me but he turned to face me. Omo~! He’s so cute. I couldn’t react at all as I blinked quickly.

“Oh I’m sorry was I bothering you?” he was apologetic.

“A-aniya. You weren’t.” I awkwardly replied. “I-I was just uh…B-but, would you like me to try and open that for you?” I uncomfortably pointed to his locker.

“Oh sure! By all means! Please do.” He replied with a smile and handed me the piece of paper he had.

I twisted the dial as the code indicated then gave the locker a bang before I pulled on the handle. It opened and revealed an empty space.

“Whoa. How did you know that?” he asked in awe.

I smiled a bit and said, “M-most of the lockers here are rusty. They just need a bit of help I guess.” I felt so awkward but so happy.

“Well thank you, uh I’m sorry I didn’t catch your name?” he said and smiled at me.

“J-Jiyeon, Kim Jiyeon.” I said and smiled back.

“Hey! We have the same initials! KJ! I’m Kim Jongin and you’re Kim Jiyeon! Haha! That’s so cool! Well, thank you so much Jiyeon!” he happily said and bowed.

I laughed a bit then I said, “I guess I’ll go to class now.” and turned to head to my next room.

“Wait! What’s your next class?” he curiously asked.

“Uuh, English. Why?” I replied still trying to contain the wild fangirling side of me while I looked at him.

He looked at the piece of paper he had and smiled. “That’s my next subject too! Would you mind if I came with you? I’m not really familiar with this school.” He politely asked

“Uh no, I wouldn’t mind.” I awkwardly smiled at him.

“ALRIGHT! Thanks Jiyeon!” he rejoiced and shoved his books in his locker.

Just like that, I was walking in the hallway with my crush! He was inches away from me while we walked to the room.

“How long have you been in this school?” he casually asked as he was scanning his environment.

“I-I started as a freshman here.” I answered.

“Aah, so you’ve been here for 4 years now?” he said as he turned his adorable face to me.

I couldn’t let another word escape my mouth due to so much excitement so I just nodded.

We arrived at the classroom and looked for seats. Of course, he sat beside me~! (Still on spaz mode)

English was one of my all time favorite subjects so I really paid attention to it. I slowly turned my spaz mode off and listened to the teacher.

I happily listened to Ms. Jang’s lecture on vocabulary. “Now, as we’ve read from the story, what does the word “vex” imply?” she asked

This teacher wasn’t the type to just call people who were raising their hands. She usually called the ones who looked like they didn’t want to be called, which was what Jongin looked like at the moment.

“How about our new student? Jongin?” she smiled.

Jongin stood up worried. At that instant, I sensed that he totally didn’t know the answer. I quickly grabbed my pen and wrote in big characters on my paper. ‘TO ANNOY

“Uh..” Jongin started.

“Psst!” I tried to get his attention without getting noticed by Ms. Jang.

I displayed my piece of paper on my desk where he can see it. Luckily, he saw it.

“Uhm, to annoy?” he asked/answered.

“Alright! It means to annoy or to irritate someone.” Ms. Jang explained.

Jongin breathed in relief.

I smiled like an idiot knowing that I helped him.

After that, the lesson just went downhill. Then it was over. I went out of the room to head to the library thinking I’d be the loner I am whenever I go there. But then…

“Jiyeon-ah!” a familiar voice said.

I turned to see who it was and found out it was Jongin.