CHAPTER 1

The Guy From Across the Street

I'm Nowhere Near Perfect...


Jiyeon's POV

I went to my locker to see the usual sticky notes plastered all over it saying, "LOSER", WORTHLESS", "FREAKAZOID". I wasn't surprised at what I saw since I got used to it.

FLASHBACK

First day of highschool: I wore these huge satelite-like braces that went around the circumference of my head. I had zits all over my face, my hair was a total mess and my big ugly glasses to finish it off. I walked through the corridor as if I was some weird attraction from a circus. The faces they were making were of disgust and pride of themselves. I never knew what was coming to me.

Everyday, I walked the halls of school with fingers pointing at me and insults thrown from here and there. One time, one of them even poured a whole pail of water on me while I was in the bathroom. When I went outside to see who it was, I saw my brother, Kyuhyun having a rumble with the culprit. He totally pumbled the guy. When I tried to stop my brother, all he said was it wasn't fair how they treat me and that they should show some respect too. You see, Unlike me, Kyuhyun was the normal average hot guy around the school. He's kept that image until he fought for me that day.

"FROM NOW ON, IF YOU LAY ANOTHER FINGER ON MY SISTER, YOU WILL GET IT." he gave his final warning and walked away.

Of course he didn't get away with what he did. He got sent to the principal's office and had to call our parents. At the office, he didn't say a word and kept looking into the distance while my parents explained to the principal. And when they went home, Kyuhyun still won't say a word. 

"YAH! You little brat! Why did you fight with that guy huh?! Did you do it to just to prove that you can?!" our Appa yelled at him as my mother held onto Kyuhyun.

He was about to hit him when I threw myself in front of my brother. "HE DID IT FOR ME DAD!" I yelled even as my eyes were scrunched up. "He did it because they were bullying me." I added when I finally opened my eyes to reveal the tears.

Our Appa calmed down in that instant and hugged the both of us then apologized. Our parents offered to tell the principal about how I was being treated but I refused since I wanted to get over this thing by myself.

Since then, the bullying was still there although this time, they are minimized. Like the sticky notes thing by my locker.

END OF FLASHBACK

I took my bike and peddled for home. The hauling truck pulled over by the house right in front of ours. Being a 16 year old nobody, I only thought about the noise the move- in might cause. I was right. The truck wasn’t the one to blame but the guys carrying the boxes into the house. I couldn’t focus on my homework as I kept looking out the door to see why the men were causing such a ruckus. I scratched my head in frustration, took hold of my pen and adjusted my glasses to continue writing. I bared with the nuisance and finished my work in time. I looked at the clock, “4:30”. I came downstairs to get some snacks and spend the rest of the afternoon ‘til night in front of the radiation-filled laptop I have. I saw my mother cooking up something on the stove while I reached for the top cupboard to get the chocolate bar I really loved but to my surprise, there was nothing in that cupboard. It was a surprise because that shelf was kinda like my own private stashing place. It’s where I hide my treats.

“Umma~. Did you put my chocolate bar somewhere else?” I asked my mother.

“Oh honey~ No. I haven’t seen any chocolate bars there or come to think of it, anywhere.” She sweetly replied.

Chocolate was one of the few things that brought me great happiness. But now that mine’s gone, I kinda felt a bit down. Maybe I already ate it? Ugh, I just don’t remember!

The T.V was blasting in the living room. “Kyuhyun! Would you please turn down the television a bit?” my mom yelled from the kitchen where I was. Then the volume went down.

Having felt a great depression, I decided to head to the living room with my older brother, Kyuhyun. I walked slowly near the couch where he was lazily placed. I approached him to sit on the chair near him and to my mad realization, I saw chocolate stains on his lips and a bit on his fingers. He didn’t even realize that I was now behind the couch and staring at the accused. He didn’t even acknowledge my presence.

I didn’t show him that I’ve realized what he’d done because then again, I might be wrong. Instead I said, “Kyu~, Where’d you get the chocolate bar?”

“From the top cupboard.” He replied oh so very carelessly without even looking at the person who asked.

I grabbed him from the cheek and held on. “YOU! You took my chocolate again?!” I asked in rage.

He had to get up from where he was laying down to at least ease some of the painful squeezes I was giving his cheek. “Jiyeon, let go!” he pleaded as he held on to my hand.

“Haven’t you even noticed that you’ve gained weight?! Look at yourself!”

Then at that precise moment, my eyes were fixated on the window as I held onto my pleading 18 year old brother.