No One Could Ever Love Me

Because You're My Everything (HIATUS MOST LIKELY FOREVER UNTIL I GET MY MOJO BACK)

"I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you sooner."

---

Key's POV:

I felt Onew's finger caressing my cheek gently.

My eyelids fluttered open right upon feeling the contact. I sat up, much to Onew's surprise. He nearly fell out of his chair in the process.

"Key! You're awake," he muttered, shocked, as he gained his composure. I gave him a plain look. He shifted in his seat uncomfortably. "I thought you were asleep already," he continued awkwardly. I continued to stare blankly at him. "So...how are you, um, feeling?" he asked, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I don't know," I mumbled curtly, averting my gaze meaninglessly to my lap. "I feel sore," I added while pushing myself off the cot. As I did so, I felt a sharp pain pierce my ribcage. I winced and groaned, clutching my ribs. Onew noticed my struggle and quickly got up from his awkward sitting position to gently lay me back down again. I sighed deeply.

"Thanks," I muttered pathetically. Onew nodded and sat back down, but instantaneously shot back up in surprise upon hearing shouting on the other side of the door.

"Where's Key-hyung? Is he alright?" cried a voice similar to that of a young boy's.

"Your friend is just fine. Now, you may return to see him when he is in proper condition-"

"No! I need to see him now! What if I'm too late and he's already dead!" the young boy whined apprehensively.

"Young man, I assure you that everything is under control! Now, please calm down!" pleaded the nurse.

"What the...?" Onew called out incoherently, staring at the door in bewilderment. "What is going on?"

"I have to see Key-hyung!" the boy persisted. The doorknob began turning urgently. Onew slowly backed away from the door, stumbling backwards over his chair in the process. He groaned as his met the floor, and not in the most pleasant way. I suppressed the urge to laugh at him. The door swung open and in burst a panting and distraught Taemin.

"Hyung!" he cried, fresh tears gleaming prominently in his eyes. He quickly hopped over to me and engulfed me in a loving embrace. I grunted in pain as his elbow jabbed me square in the ribs as his arms worked in a quick flurry to wrap around my waist.

"Ow, Taemin-ah, my ribs..." I grumbled. My voice sounded muffled against his hair. He quickly unwound himself from my body and took a step back.

"Sorry, hyung," he apologized, smiling sheepishly. His cheeks were tainted pink. I rubbed my torso, wincing, but nonetheless, I grinned at him reassuringly. Taemin breathed a sigh of relief and plopped down beside me.

"Aniyo, don't worry about it. I'm just glad that you aren't hurt" I cooed, ruffling his hair lovingly.

"Taemin, why don't you let Key rest now, araso?" Onew commended, lightly tugging at Taemin's arm. Taemin shook his head stubbornly.

"I'm staying with Key-hyung until he gets better," he insisted, protectively clinging himself to my arm. Onew furrowed his brows in a tight knot.

"Yah, Key needs to build up his strength..."

"Me and my aegyo will give him strength! Right, Key-hyung? Mehrong!" he chirruped, sticking his tongue out at Onew playfully. Onew took a surprised step back at Taemin's persistence. I laughed at the child-like antics of the two boys.

"Both of you can stay. It would be boring if you two left," I suggested. Taemin squealed in triumph. Onew sighed and raised his hands in defeat, but nonetheless, he was grinning. He positioned the chair he had previously knocked over upright and dragged it over to sit beside the cot.

The three of us continued to chat happily about nothing in particular. Suddenly, Taemin yawned.

"Is little Taeminnie sleepy? Aigo, how cute," I gushed. Taemin nodded weakly then nuzzled his head into my neck. Soon after, he fell asleep, his head lying on my shoulder. I gazed at the little dongsaeng's face affectionately. He looked so peaceful. Without giving much thought, I found myself gently his cheek. "Sleep well~" I whispered into his ear.

I heard someone clear their throat, and I looked up to meet Onew's gaze. I had momentarily forgotten that he was still in the room.

"Onew-sunbae, about before...I wanted to say that I'm really thankfu-" Onew held up a hand, cutting off my sentence.

"Key, if there's one thing I know, it's that I could never forgive myself for standing by and letting someone I care about get hurt." I felt my face heat up.

"Y-you...care about me?" I stuttered in disbelief. Onew nodded and grinned. Suddenly, the door swung open with an immense force, banging against the wall. I shot my head up in surprise to see a dark silhouette leaning against the doorframe, looking completely arrogant and inflamed with anger.

"Well, well, well..."

Minho's POV:

I strutted hastily through the school's corridors, frantically searching for Jonghyun.

Aish, where is that pabo? He must be reckless by now, I thought with a brush of concern. After a few minutes of unsuccessful searching, I paused to learn against the wall. I took a deep breath, then dragged my back downwards against the wall until my bottom hit the floor. Suddenly, an image of Taemin popped into my head.

You can call me hyung if you want. I had whispered those exact words to him. Our faces were so close then. I blushed at the thought. Without thinking, I drew a finger and gently caressed the skin of my cheek. It felt warm. But why?

Hyung. He had called me his hyung. I felt a flurry of uninvited butterflies swarm somewhere within my stomach, leaving an uncomfortable tickle-ish feeling. I clutched onto my stomach. What was wrong with me? He's just a boy. A nobody. Then again, if he was a nobody, why had I taken the time to check on him, to make sure he was safe? Did I care about Taemin?

I shook my head in annoyance, trying to erase the question out of my mind. If there's one thing I had learned, it was to care about no one. Not a single person mattered in the world, but yourself. Jonghyun had once spoken those words to me when we were only children...

-Flashback-

"Remember, Minho-ah. Love no one. Care for no one. You are the only person that matters," Jonghyun asserted sternly. I blinked at him, confusion strewn across the contorted features of my face.

"But what if I fall in love? Surely, I will care then, right?" I ventured. Jonghyun shook his head furiously.

"Aniyo! Do you think anyone could ever love you or care for you? Do you know how many horrible people you will meet in your lifetime? As long as you have me and Onew-hyung, nobody else matters, araso? It's us against the world, understand?" he insisted stubbornly.

I hiccuped in protest, but I found myself shifting uncomfortably under Jonghyun's piercing glare. I sighed in defeat.

"Neh..."

-End of flashback-

I sighed, running a hand through my damp locks, mussing my hair.

"Ottoke?" I muttered to myself, my deep voice echoing through the deserted hallway. I replayed Jonghyun's words over and over in my head like an audio tape. Nodding to myself, I finally stood up. I knew what I had to do.

From now on, I'll try to erase Taemin from my thoughts.

Jonghyun's POV:

I found myself at the entrance to the health office.

Nostrils flaring, I barreled my way inside. The nurse jumped in her seat in surprise, and stared at me, wide-eyed.

"J-Jonghyun? Headmistress's son? W-w-what are you doing h-here?" she stuttered nervously, fiddling her thumbs. I rolled my eyes.

"Where is Kibum?"

"P-pardon?"

"Which room!" She squeaked and pointed a shaky hand towards a door across the rom. I quickly crossed the floor and barged through the door, slamming it against the wall in the process. I met the eyes of a surprised Kibum. I smirked, and leaned casually against the doorframe.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't my dear Kibum." Kibum scowled at me with a look of utter distaste.

"Get out of here," he spat, glowering at me. I ignored him, and instead I noticed a sleeping form leaning against Kibum. It was his scrawny looking friend. His eyelids fluttered open. The boy yawned, stretching his arms, then scratched his head.

"What's going on?" he asked groggily. I rolled my eyes and averted my gaze to lay eyes on Onew. I raised my eyebrows

"Oh! Onew-hyung? What are you doing here?" I queried in mock surprise. "Surely you aren't here to help this...this pathetic waste?" I continued, gesturing at Key. Onew tore his eyes away from mine and hung his head in shame.

"I..."

"What the hell are you doing? Who's side are you on, anyway? Are we or are we not friends? You're my hyung, aren't you? Get your together, Lee Onew. This isn't child's play," I barked bitterly, causing him to wince.

"Yah! You conceited devil!" Key snapped, standing up abruptly. His face was contorted with pain, but he tried to hide it by glaring hard at me. I feigned a bemused expression, then began laughing at him mockingly.

"What can you do? Look at yourself." He continued to glare at me. I cleared my throat and adjusted my collar.

"Kim Jonghyun, you're telling me to look at myself? What about you, huh? Have you gotten a reality check lately? Why don't you look at yourself and the way you treat everyone around you! Even to your own hyung! Do you think anyone could ever love you or care for you? Do you know how horrible you are? As long as people like you exist, no one can ever be happy. You're a life-ruiner, Jonghyun. You ruin people's lives. You disgust me, seriously!" Kibum stressed every single word with an ounce of contempt.

I took a step back, feeling the words seep into me. Did his words actually...sting? I stared at him dumbly. He continued to glare at me. Kibum loathed me so much, and I could feel it. I stared at him wide-eyed, being at a loss for words. He was right, and I knew it. I stared weakly at the floor.

I heard Kibum huff.

"Come on, Taeminnie. Let's get out of here."

"But...hyung! Your ribs..."

"Nevermind that! I can't stand this pabo!" he growled. He shoved past me, knocking into my shoulder, and quickly exited the room, dragging Taemin along with him.

I staggered over to the cot and sat down, my face in my palms.

"Yah, Kim Jonghyun," Onew called out. I had forgotten he was in the room. I shook my head.

"Go find Minho."

"What about you?"

"I...I need to be alone," I finalized. With a sigh, Onew got up, but not before hugging me first did he exit the room.

All the while I was alone in that room, Kibum's words repeated a countless number of times in my head like a broken record. Those words that were so familiar to me.

Do you think anyone could ever love you or care for you? I easily knew the answer to that question.

No, I thought bitterly. No one could ever love such a loathesome person as me.

 

A/N: I'm sorry for not updating as soon as I had promised, and I apologize further for such a short and y chapter. Really, this chapter...it disappoints me. But anyway, I want to thank all of you for subscribing to my story and for all the views I had received. I'm so grateful for all the wonderful comments all you guys leave for me to read. Truly, I love all your little comments! They give me energy, lol. By the way, did any of you catch the Mean Girls reference I incorporated when Key totally owned Jonghyun? Hehe. Please comment! I want to know what all you guys think :)