I'm Sorry I Couldn't Protect You

Because You're My Everything (HIATUS MOST LIKELY FOREVER UNTIL I GET MY MOJO BACK)

"Because, Key, you are my friend."

---

Third-person POV:

Key wore an expression of skepticism as he gazed up at his hyung.

"I'm…I'm your…what?" he asked in disbelief. Onew smiled warmly at Key, and outstretched his arm towards the younger boy.

"Me and you, Key. We're friends. Come now, let's get you up, araso?" Onew said. Key stared at the helping hand, then back at Onew, then back at the hand. Then he glared at Onew.

"You're lying," he accused. "Otherwise you would have stopped that…that…" Key didn't manage to get any other words out. The sharp pain pierced throughout his torso. He winced and clutched onto his ribcage, doubling over in pain. Onew wore an expression of solemnity as he watched Key struggle.

Onew reclined his oustretched hand and scooped the boy up into his arms. Key didn't protest. He just closed his eyes and allowed Onew to take him away.

Onew did not speak a word to anyone, nor did he make eye contact. He looked straight ahead. In return, all the students remained absolutely dead silent and watched respectfully as the sunbae and the battered new kid exited the lunchroom.

Onew entered the hallway, and still carrying Key in his arms, sauntered through the corridors towards the health office. Onew looked down at Key's bruised face. His eyes were closed, and a thin line of tears streaked his cheeks.

Thank you, Key thought as he continued to cry silently.

Back in the lunchroom, a scrawny figure was huddled into a corner. He hugged his knees to his chest and buried his small head in his knees in an attempt to conceal himself. His silent sobs were proven evident.

Minho kneeled beside the smaller boy. Taemin did not show any sign that he had noticed the taller boy, and continued to weep.

Taemin hiccoughed as he sobbed. Minho, hesitant at first, reached out a hand and placed it on top of Taemin's head. Taemin automatically flinched from the touch and looked up to see who had laid hands on him.

As Taemin met the gaze of Minho's captivating eyes, he became enraptured and flushed a deep scarlet.

"Uh…" Taemin mumbled unintelligently, still blushing. Minho continued to stare deep into Taemin's orbs, and Taemin found himself reluctantly tearing his eyes away from the strong gaze. He stared at his palms which were now feeling clammy.

"Did they hurt you?" Minho asked softly. Taemin noticed his hand was still on his head, which only made him feel more flustered. He pursed his lips and shook his head in response, then snuck a peek to glance up at Minho. Taemin noticed the corner of his lips twist up into a furtive grin.

He has such a lovely smile,Taemin thought dreamily as he ogled over Minho's lips. Even his lips look so nice and plump and…wait, what? No! Don't think of such things! Taemin scolded himself mentally.

"Good," Minho said, rising up to his feet. "Let me take you somewhere, araso?"

"B-bwoh? You're g-going to take me s-somewhere?" Taemin stuttered nervously, his cheeks heating up at the idea of being alone with Minho.

"Well, you'll have to get up first," Minho said, nodding at Taemin's crouched composure.

"R-right…" Taemin mumbled. Minho chuckled and reached out his hand. Taemin felt his heartbeat quicken as he stared at Minho's hand. Slowly, he reached out his own hand and felt himself take a sharp intake of breath as he gingerly laid his small hand atop Minho's larger one. Taemin nearly died as Minho grasped tightly onto his hand then pulled him up to his feet.

Together, they began heading towards the exit of the lunchroom. Minho strutted confidently through the waves of students and Taemin sort of just shuffled along, keeping his head down. Once they reached the exit, Minho turned around to glare harshly at all the students.

"I hope you guys don't expect me or anyone else to clean up this crap. Now get going," he asserted firmly. Immediately, students started to mutter to themselves and hurriedly shuffled about, picking up trays and eating utensils off the floor.

Minho pushed past the doors, dragging Taemin along. They walked a ways down the abandoned corridor before Minho stopped abruptly. Taemin felt himself knock into Minho's backside. Minho turned to face Taemin.

"You should go see your friend now," he said plainly. Taemin's eyes widened in confusion.

"But hyung…I thought we were-" Minho scoffed, cutting off Taemin's words.

"I'm not your hyung. We're in the same year," he grumbled. Taemin felt taken aback at Minho's sudden change in personality. He hung his head. Minho sighed. "Kibum needs you, araso?" he said more gently. Taemin nodded slowly as he blinked back tears. "I need to find Jonghyun. You'll be okay?" he added.

"Y-yeah…" Taemin muttered quietly. Without warning, Minho ruffled his hair playfully. Taemin blushed automatically at his touch. Minho bent down slightly so he was now eye level with Taemin.

"You can call me hyung, if that's what you want," he whispered softly in Taemin's ear, sending shivers down the smaller boy's spine. By the time he looked up, Minho was already turning the corner of the hallway. Taemin stared blankly after him, still trying to comprehend all that had happened.

Meanwhile…

Jonghyun took his time walking through the corridors of SM Institute, trying to trace back Onew and Minho's steps.

"Damn. Where the hell did they go?" he asked no one in particular. Jonghyun had been searching for over five minutes now, and still had no luck in finding any sign of Onew or Minho's whereabouts. "Tch. They're dead when I find them," he threatened.

He shook his head in disappointment as he merged into yet another deserted hallway. At that moment, Jonghyun suddenly had an impulse to head back to the lunchroom.

But why would they go back there? Jonghyun thought to himself. Unless…

Jonghyun quickly made up his mind and hurried over to the lunchroom.  He found himself at the entrance and hastily barged in. His eyes widened in shock at the sight of students cleaning up the lunchroom by discarding their spoiled lunches and ridding of the trays and silverware that littered the ground.

Jonghyun's eyes darted around the room, looking for a particular person. He felt immense anger boil up inside him as he searched the room over and over and could not find a battered figure lying on the ground.

"YAH! WHERE IS HE?" he shouted. All eyes turned towards him, and the hustle and bustle immediately ceased. "Aren't you going to answer me?"

"J-Jonghyun-oppa…" started Seohyun shyly. "Onew-sunbae came in not to long ago…"

"And?" he spat, urging her to continue. Seohyun blushed, but cleared and continued.

"He…he took the kid and...just left," she finished quietly so her voice was barely audible.

"HE WHAT?" Jonghyun shouted in disbelief. Seohyun winced and backed away. "AISH!" Wasting no time, he darted out of the lunchroom. Jonghyun had a good idea where Onew and Kibum were.

Onew's so gonna get it from me, he thought bitterly as he sped towards the health office.

...

Key laid as still as possible in Onew's arms. He was fully conscious now, but didn't want to have to go through any awkward attempts at making conversation if Onew knew he was awake. Instead, he pretended to be half-asleep. Onew peered down at Key.

This boy...he's gone through a lot, hasn't he? 

They reached the front of the health office, and Onew stepped inside and hastily made his way to the front desk. The nurse was absorbed in a fashion magazine, and Onew had to clear his throat to get her attention. She slapped her magazine against her desk and glared up at Onew, annoyed, but then her eyes widened.

"O-Onew! What can I do for you?" she muttered, embarrassed, quickly standing up and bowing.

"My friend is injured. I think he hurt his ribs. Please take care of him for me," he said politely, flashing the nurse a charming smile.

"Oh! Uh, of course! Right this way, sir..." the nurse stuttered, ushering Onew, still carrying Key in his arms, into a room. Onew laid Key down onto a cot.

"Is it okay if I stay here with him?" Onew asked innocently, gazing up at the nurse with pleading eyes.

"Anything! Yes, go ahead!" she blurted, then dashed out of the room. Onew pulled out a chair and set it beside the cot so he could sit near Key. He gazed at Key with much affection and admired the perfect features of his face, from flawless skin to his beautiful almond-shaped eyes. On impulse, Onew drew a finger and gently glided it across Key's cheek.

"Key," Onew whispered, his cheek lovingly. "I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you sooner."

 

A/N: I apologize for not updating sooner! It's been a really hectic weekend for me with lots of homework, soccer tournaments, and whatnot. I know this chapter seems a bit rushed and hastily written. Again, I apologize. I tried incorperating some (very little) 2min in here to lift your spirits. I won't be able to update for the next three days, but I will be working on writing the next chapter. Thanks for all the love you've given this story!