Four

An Ambiguous Affair

“I don’t need a personal assistant.”

The words came out in a smooth baritone voice that no one could say no to but Minho’s manager, Gyeongshik, was long immune to his artiste’s charm considering that he had been with Minho even before his debut. Even though hardly any emotion could be heard from his words, the manager could pick out a note of finality in Minho’s voice. He also knew how determined the actor could be and so, Gyeongshik decided it was necessary to put his foot down as well.

“I’m not giving you a choice here.”

Minho looked up from his script of his upcoming drama to see the stern look on his manager’s face and the actor instantly knew the decision had been made. Still, he couldn’t just let it go and accept the company’s arrangement so easily.

“Gyeongshik Hyung, why do I even need a PA when you’re my manager?” Minho placed his script down onto the table, focusing his full attention on his conversation with his manager, and reasoned, “Besides, it’s not as if I can’t manage myself well… and you know that.”

Gyeongshik nodded, understanding where Minho was coming from but he had the duty to help Minho put things into perspective. “Your schedules are piling up with your rising popularity, and there’s only so much I can handle. The company wants your full concentration on work so any personal trivial matters will be handled by your assistant… and I mean any, right down to what coffee you’d like to drink and what you have to pack when you go overseas.”

Upon seeing the frown that darkened Minho’s face, Gyeongshik knew exactly what the actor was thinking and he quickly continued his explanation.

“I know you don’t need to be babied by anyone but when work begins to consume your life, you’ll find that you have hardly enough time to breathe and this is when you need your PA.” Gyeongshik hoped his words would be enough to make things clear for Minho and when he saw that Minho was listening to him and considering his perspective, he knew the actor was close to accepting the situation.

“Minho yah, you need to know that I can’t manage everything for you too, scheduling your activities and taking care of all the necessary arrangements is already so much work on my part. It’s good that you have a PA to help you, and for that matter, help me as well.” Gyeongshik concluded and then added, “Anyway, I heard that your PA’s the same age as you so perhaps you can make a friend as well.”

Minho raised his eyebrows. “The company found someone already?”

“Yes, you know how efficient our company is...” Gyeongshik looked at his phone and then cracked a slight smile. “He’ll actually be joining us shortly.”

“He?” Minho couldn’t help but ask the first thing that came into his mind.

“Did you expect a ‘she’?” Gyeongshik looked amusedly at Minho before his expression grew serious. “You know how it is with your fans, Minho…”

A faint blush coloured Minho’s cheeks as he instantly shook his head. “No, I didn’t mean it that way, I’m just surprised a guy my age would-“

A knock interrupted Minho mid-sentence. Their conversation was put on hold as both Minho and his manager turned towards the door and then back to exchange a look with each other.

“Well, you can ask him yourself.” Gyeongshik smiled and then turned towards the door, raising his voice to say, “Come in!”

In an instant, the door opened and entering the room was a person Minho would have never expected to see, let alone recognise.

“Is this some kind of joke?”

Again, Minho couldn’t control his mouth from voicing out the first thought that entered his mind. His eyes travelled from his confused manager to the guy he only knew as Key, the very same guy who he never thought he would see again after their first and supposedly last encounter with each other. Minho couldn’t believe his eyes that he even blinked hard to make sure that it was indeed Key who was walking towards him. And when he saw Key’s helpless expression, he could tell Key definitely didn’t expect this to happen as well.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” Key greeted with a 90 degree bow, mostly directed to Minho’s manager, and introduced himself, “I’m Kim Kibum, Minho’s personal assistant, you can call me Key for short.”

Looking at the two youngsters in the room, Gyeongshik gathered that they both knew each other from somewhere but he wasn’t interested in that. All he cared about was that Minho and his personal assistant would work well together so that his job, and for that matter, Minho’s job as well, would be easier. And so, he nodded at Kibum and gave him a reassuring pat on his shoulder.

“No need to be so formal, Key.” Gyeongshik said, looking every bit like a caring teacher. “Minho only has a schedule at night so you could use the time now to get to know him while I attend to some other matters.”

“Yes Hyung.” Key answered formally, still making sure he came across as polite to leave a good first impression now that he was on the job.

After getting Key’s reply, Gyeongshik glanced over at Minho and reminded his actor to be cooperative, “Minho, I’ll be back to get you in a few hours and prepare you for your next schedule so for the time being, please help Kibum understand your needs. It’ll make things easier for all of us.”

Minho groaned. “Hyung, do I really need a-“

“Minho, we’ve been through this. No buts.” Gyeongshik refused to hear what Minho had to say, raising a hand at his artiste as he shot a look at Minho before walking out of the room, leaving not only the two youths alone with each other but also the surrounding atmosphere as tense as can be.

Once the door had closed, Minho threw his head back in frustration before regaining his cool and looked at a now expressionless Key with the most courteous expression he could muster. “I really don’t need you to attend to my whims and fancies. I can handle myself and-”   

“Look Choi Minho.” Kibum stomped right up to the table where Minho was and slammed his two hands down on the table top, successfully silencing the actor whose eyes had widened in shock at his personal assistant’s 360 degree attitude change.

“I jolly well know you’re old enough to manage yourself but I need this job so listen to what your manager said and give me some work to do. I hate this arrangement as much as you do but remember, you owe me one so I suggest you stop grumbling and just let me understand your whims and fancies, got it?”

Minho blinked a couple of times, just to absorb what Kibum had said and take in the current situation, but it wasn’t soon before long that the actor found it so amusing that he let out a laugh, more than ready to take Kibum on. He even purposely stood up just because he knew his height would subconsciously make Kibum less intimidating.

“Kim Kibum?” Minho could barely suppress the smugness in his voice now that he finally knew Key’s real name.

Kibum took a few steps back to keep a distance away from the actor but that didn’t make him less strong-headed in any way. In fact, it only made him bolder as Kibum tilted his chin up in defiance. “What?”

Minho crossed his arms and smiled. “Is that how you should be talking to your boss?”

Kibum froze, frustration now evident on his face, as he breathed heavily to keep his emotions under control and even bit his lips to stop himself from saying things that needed to be censored. Knowing Minho was enjoying the apparent authority he had over him, Kibum forced a smile on his face and cleared his throat.

“Minho, I know you’re my boss, but don’t be such a bastard.” Kibum tried, he did, but he still couldn’t stop himself from saying what he thought was necessary in the most polite way he could manage.

“I wouldn’t be acting this way if not for your attitude change.” Minho shrugged nonchalantly, settling back down on his chair and picking his script up again.

“Alright, fine, I get it.” Kibum threw his hands up in defeat and decided to compromise. “I’ll watch my attitude... let’s just… try to respect each other alright?”

Nodding, Minho looked up from his script to meet Kibum’s eyes. “Just so we’re clear, I don’t need you to change yourself just because you’re working for me.”

One side of Kibum’s lips curled up into a smirk as he scoffed, “That should be the least of your worries.”

Minho pressed his lips into a thin line, studying Kibum for a while as he collected his thoughts before he decided enough was enough. It was time to get down to business.

“So now that we’re good…” Minho gestured for Kibum to sit in the chair opposite him and once Kibum was at eye level with him, the actor continued, “Where should I begin then?”

“Sorry?”

Leaning back comfortably in his chair, Minho flashed a charming smile at a baffled Kibum who momentarily couldn’t comprehend the situation, and spread his arms out in a teasing manner. “I’m all yours.”

Obviously, it had zero effect on Kibum, at least not the positive kind that would make any of Minho’s fans swoon over him as their hearts fluttered with joy and excitement. The only effect Minho’s words and actions had on Kibum was infuriating him that much more.

Rolling his eyes, Kibum let out a breath and chose to ignore Minho, going back to answering the first question as he now understood what the actor was initially asking. “You can start by telling me your habits… apart from the fact that you like being an annoying brat.”

Since he already had a taste of how Kibum was like, Minho was quick to strike back, his smile only growing wider as he quipped, “Takes one to know one, Kim Kibum.”

Kibum returned a patronising smile that only lasted for a second before he knocked on the table with a grim look on his face.

“Could you just start and tell me what I need to know about you so I know how to go about doing my job?”

“Well, first off, you should know I will not be annoying if-“

“Choi. Min. Ho.” Kibum hissed through his teeth.

Minho chuckled behind the back of his hand. Life was unquestionably going to get so much more interesting now that he had Kibum as his personal assistant. This, he could definitely bet on. There was one thing though, that was puzzling Minho more than it should, and it was why someone like Kibum would apply for a job as a personal assistant. He only met Kibum once before this but that encounter alone was enough to tell him someone like Kim Kibum could, and should, never be a personal assistant. He was a person only fit to give orders and not at all suitable to take orders, so why, Minho wondered, would Kibum end up as a personal assistant? The actor didn’t know the answer now, but he knew that he would find out Kibum’s story and learn more about this personal assistant of his… it was just a matter of time.

Author's Note: feisty! hahaha. okay, it's coming to 5am where i am so i really should be getting some sleep. i'll make this quick! i'm going to say sorry first because i won't be updating this anytime soon, it'll take me a minimum of 2 weeks (i think) to get the next chapter up so till then, don't forget about this story and please come back when i do update! and secondly, i hope you enjoyed this chapter! i do feel that i may be writing the same minkey all over again so i hope you lovely readers aren't sick of my writing and will continue to read! so yes, once again, thank you for reading and subscribing! it really does mean a lot to know that you guys are anticipating updates and all so thank you!! looking forward to seeing your comments and thoughts on the story so far. hugs and kisses to everyone who's reading this sentence now! have a happy October ahead!