Twenty

An Ambiguous Affair

“Kibum, did I get any calls or messages while I was away?”

Unable to ignore the shadow looming over him, Kibum reluctantly looked up from his planner and simply pulled out Minho’s phone from his pocket with his other hand, passing it back into his boss’s hands silently.

Minho held back a sigh and consciously avoided body contact with his personal assistant for fear of incurring Kibum’s wrath as he took his phone back. After a quick check for any notifications on his phone, Minho looked back at Kibum and found himself disappointed because Kibum had already turned his attention away, choosing to bury his head in his damn planner. Not wanting to feel dejected for another time (he had already lost count), Minho finally decided to confront the person who had been ignoring him as long as it was possible at work (because Kibum avoided him like he was a disease once work was over).

“It’s been two days, Kibum, are you still not talking to me?”

Upon hearing Minho’s words, Kibum stilled, initially thinking that the actor would just walk away having got used to being given the cold shoulder ever since the morning after he decided for Kibum to quit his job. So after a moment of thinking if he should give the actor some sort of response, Kibum eventually looked up with a bored expression while impatiently tapping his pen on the page of his planner, still refusing to speak.

Unable to take this lying down anymore, Minho scoffed. “I hope you know that your attitude right now actually gives me a valid reason to fire you.”

Instantly, Kibum widened his eyes, shooting Minho a death glare, and finally broke his silence. “You dare?!”

“Kibum, you should know, nothing can stop me if I have my mind set on something.” Minho simply replied, unaffected by Kibum’s challenge, or more appropriately put, threat.

Seething with anger yet unable to vent it because that would only mean Minho had successfully got to him, Kibum curled his hands, squeezing his planner too tightly in his fingers, and took in a deep breath. When he felt like his rage was under control, Kibum forced a smile and looked back at Minho.

“I sure as hell want things to go my way too.” Kibum hissed.

Holding himself back from using profanities, Minho looked straight into Kibum’s eyes and muttered under his breath, “Why can’t you see that this will do us both good?”

“Because I just can’t.”

“I explained it to you that night, Kibum, there’s one-”

“-less thing for me to worry about?” Kibum completed Minho’s sentence for him because he really didn’t need Minho to remind him of their heated conversation that night, “I know, I heard you, but that doesn’t mean I agree with you, Minho.”

“Honestly, I don’t care if you agree with me.” Minho was losing his patience, very much unwilling to reason with Kibum for a second longer, “You wanted a solution? I’m giving you one. Whether you like it or not, I’m going to make it happen.”

“You can’t just make me leave my job,” Kibum glared at the stubborn actor and stated smugly, “I’m under contract with the company.”

“As your immediate boss, I could always come up with a valid reason to fire you.” Minho shrugged nonchalantly as he was left with no choice but to give a fair warning about what might happen to Kibum in the near future.

“You wouldn’t.” Kibum shook his head, unable to believe Minho would actually resort to something like that just to make sure he had no choice but to leave his job. 

“How many times have I told you, Kibum?” Minho shook his head with a sigh, “As long as I’m determined, I’ll make sure I get what I want.”

“Even if you know I’ll hate you for that?”

With his heart stopping for a split second, Minho gulped, his resolve slightly shaken when he heard Kibum speak of such a possibility that would undoubtedly make his life miserable. It was only for a moment though because after reminding himself that Kibum quitting his job as a personal assistant was for the best especially for Kibum himself, Minho knew he had to stick with his decision.

And so, the actor nodded, not needing to say anything else and just like that, he left Kibum to himself as he walked away without giving the chance for his personal assistant to say anything else.

*

“Hey hyung, why isn’t your shadow around?” Taemin distractedly asked, his fingers furiously working the buttons on the PlayStation controller, when it suddenly occurred to him that there was an important person missing in Minho’s apartment. 

“Shadow?” Minho’s eyebrows furrowed deeper in concentration, his eyes stuck on the television screen filled with moving virtual soccer players, as he replied Taemin just as distractedly.

Trying to prevent Minho from scoring a goal as they played Winning Eleven, Taemin hummed in reply, “Yeah, you know, Kibum hyung?”

Minho rolled his eyes at the younger’s attempt to and replied emotionlessly, “We’re not on good terms right now.”

Taemin’s eyes rounded to the size of saucers as he discarded his controller, throwing the game away, and gasped, “Money is going to fall from the sky.”

With the younger giving up the game, Minho effortlessly scored a goal and turned towards the dancer discontentedly, “Is my life so interesting that you’re willing to let me win so easily?”

“Yes.” Taemin answered with a definite nod and a serious expression.

“Taemin.” Minho sighed and shook his head at the maknae.

“What, hyung? You can’t blame me,” Taemin pouted unhappily, “This is big! You and Kibum hyung are inseparable!”

Knowing Taemin wasn’t going to pick up the controller and continue their game any time soon, Minho paused the match and placed his own aside before he leaned his head back against the wall and closed his eyes, admitting to Taemin how troubled he was. Although Taemin was younger and often seemed clueless to everything, Minho knew he could trust the maknae to be a friend, and for that matter, a good listener. And that was exactly what he needed right now, someone who could just listen to him and not judge him so he didn’t have to hold it all in and pretend that everything was alright anymore when in fact, he was miserable.

“You don’t know how hard it is, Taemin, it’s so damn difficult to be in a relationship with him especially when he’s my personal assistant…”

“But that didn’t seem to be a problem when the two of you got together… just saying.”

“It’s a huge problem now.”

“Because of that rumour with Yuri noona?”

“Not exactly, but that just aggravated our problem… and I just feel that it’s better if Kibum quits his job.”

Taemin paused for a moment before he asked, “Will that make you happy?”

Minho instantly turned to look at Taemin, looking rather offended, as he agitatedly answered, “Of course not, Taemin, I wish I could have him by my side 24/7! Being my personal assistant used to be the perfect cover up, but now, I can see how much stress it puts on Kibum, and one day, Taem, he’s going to snap.”

Not wanting to even imagine the possibility of that happening, Minho shook his head and continued to say, more to himself than to Taemin. “I can’t let that happen... I won’t let it happen.”

Taemin nodded, understanding Minho’s concern, and then questioned, “Hyung… have you told Kibum hyung this?”

“Sort of?”

“What do you mean sort of?”

“I did try to explain it to him…”

“Try?”

“He can’t seem to understand why I feel it’s best for him to leave his job.”

“How exactly did you try to make him understand?”

“I… umm, told him he had no other choice but to listen to me.”

Taemin almost felt like smacking his forehead, no, scratch that, he felt like smacking Minho’s forehead but he held his hand back and doubled checked with his hyung first, “So you basically forced your decision on him without hearing what he has to say?”

“Why are you making me sound so unreasonable?”

“Because you are?” Widening his eyes disbelievingly at Minho, Taemin then stated, “No wonder Kibum hyung’s mad at you.”

“Lee Taemin!” Minho really didn’t need Taemin to be on Kibum’s side right now and so, left frustrated, Minho was more than ready to help Taemin understand his (ultimately good) intentions, “You don’t understand, do you think I’m happy that this has to happen? Do you know how much I’m actually suffering as well? How much it pains me to force Kibum to leave my side? But I’m still forcing myself to go through with this because I know that this is for the best. Kibum has to face enough problems as it is, and it’s all because of me. He ran away once, Taemin, I can’t have that happen again. Do you know how that feels? To see someone you love just abandon you without warning? It’s terrifying. I rather let him go now than risk having to experience that again. If he isn’t my personal assistant, he has one less major problem to deal with. Do you get it, Taem?”

“No... I don’t.” Taemin replied with a smile growing on his face as he pushed himself off the sofa and pointed to the side, “But Kibum hyung will.”

In the fit of anger, Minho failed to notice that an additional person had stepped into his apartment. Turning to look at the direction where Taemin was pointing at, Minho found the cause of his frustration standing at the hallway that led towards the living room and biting his bottom lip so hard that the actor thought he was going to bleed.

“I know the way out.” Taemin singsonged as he flashed a peace sign at Minho before he sauntered towards Kibum, and presented a wide encouraging grin at the hyung he had come to like a whole lot, “Glad you found your way back, shadow~”

Releasing his bottom lip from his teeth, Kibum returned a weak smile before he cleared his throat to ask, “Shadow?”

Choosing not to say anything, Taemin shrugged and blinked innocently at a puzzled Kibum with a playful smile. The maknae then squeezed Kibum encouragingly on his shoulder before he stuffed his feet into his sneakers and opened the door to send himself out.

As the door closed, Kibum turned to look questioningly at Minho, hoping the actor would give him the answer. Instead of answering, Minho shook his head with an embarrassed smile and got off the sofa, stuffing his hands into his pockets awkwardly.

“So… what brings you here?”

“I wanted to pick a fight with you.”

“Kibum, I’m not up for arguing-”

“Idiot.”

“What a way to start a fight, Kibum.” Minho commented with all sarcasm intended before smiling bitterly, “I must say, you’re seriously losing your touch.”

“You’re missing the point.” Kibum rolled his eyes and walked towards the actor until a comfortable distance was separating them. “I heard what you said, stupid.”

“And exactly how much did you hear?”

“I was here when Taemin managed to make you admit you were being unreasonable.”

Minho pulled a long face. “I did not admit that I was unreasonable.”

“Why are you being such a kid?” Kibum almost felt like strangling his boyfriend.

“Look who’s talking.”

“What the hell did I do?”

“You ignored me, Kibum. You refused to talk to me for days unless it was necessary.”

“I was mad, Minho, I couldn’t talk to you without getting angry myself and-”

“Look, I told you, I’m not interested in arguing with you alright?” Minho cut Kibum’s attempt to defend himself short and let out a breath, “I can’t deal with this right now. I’m going to take a shower.”

Feeling a wave of tiredness suddenly washing over him, Minho turned away from Kibum and left him standing there alone in the living room. If the conversation was heading in this direction, Minho honestly had no wish to talk about it any further tonight. But as he walked towards the bathroom, Kibum’s voice that came across as a mumble but was loud enough to hear in the silent apartment stopped him in his footsteps.

“I’m scared, Minho.”

Upon seeing that Minho wasn’t going to move any time soon, standing still with his back still turned against him, Kibum took in a deep breath and found the courage to continue.

“I still don’t know what to do with my life… that’s how I ended up being your personal assistant in the first place.” Kibum paused, swallowing nervously, as he stared at Minho’s back and took in a deep breath to admit, “But then I realised I was falling in love with you… and as stupid as this sounds, I found direction in my life, that as long as I knew I was with you, I would be fine. Life would be alright.”

Kibum smiled sadly to himself and looked down when he noticed that Minho was turning back to face him, “I’m not an idiot, I know I can’t be your personal assistant for life but I thought, as long as things were fine, we could stay like this and not give a damn about anything. But obviously, things aren’t, and I know you’re right. I know it’ll do us both good that I quit. And I’ll quit, Minho, I will. It’s just… I don’t know what I’m going to do now that I’m back at square one.”

“Kibum…” By then, Minho was right back in front of Kibum, his hand naturally reaching out to tilt his boyfriend’s chin up so he could get Kibum to look into his eyes, “You’ll be fine.”

“No, I won’t. And you know why?” Kibum huffed as he swatted Minho’s hand away and pushed the actor hard on his chest, “Because now that I have you in my life, I’m actually at an even worse position from where I started. I didn’t even realise how dependent I am on you until I ditched work that afternoon. I was on the train back to Daegu but when it reached the station, I never got off the train because all I wanted to do was come back to you. And I did, that’s how weak I am right now. How the hell do you expect me to leave my job now when you’ve made me into such a mess without you by my side?”

“I’ll always be here for you, Kibum.” Minho promised as he pulled his boyfriend into a hug, “You’re not the only one that has to deal with this, bummie, God knows that I’m crippled without you at work, let alone, in my life. But I know we’ll work things out, it’ll take time to adjust but we’ll get through this. And you’ll be fine… I’ll make sure you’ll be alright. Trust me ok?”

“What?” Circling his arms around his boyfriend’s waist, Kibum scoffed before he mumbled into Minho’s shoulder jokingly, “Does that mean you’re going to support me for the rest of our lives? Because I’m warning you, Minho, I may never figure out what I want to do in life…”

“Yeah, that really doesn’t matter, because whatever it is, I’ll take care of you.” The tone in Minho’s voice was as sincere and determined as can be while he pressed a kiss on the side of Kibum’s head, “You can bet your life on this.”

Hiding a smile from Minho, Kibum then opened his mouth and succumbed to his impulse to bite Minho on his shoulder. Upon hearing Minho draw a sharp breath, Kibum then released his teeth from the cloth and the flesh of his boyfriend’s shoulder, pulling away to create some distance between them so Minho could see the roll of his eyes.

“Do you always have to be this dramatic?”

A smile finally broke out on Minho’s face. “Deal with it, Kibum. It’s your fault you’re in love with an actor.”

Kibum pursed his lips as he thought out loud, “Well, you’ve got to take some of the blame too…”

Giving in to his temptation to feel those perfect cupid’s bow lips against his, Minho stole a quick kiss from Kibum and vowed, “I’ll gladly take full responsibility, baby.”

Author's Note: and so, Kibum will be leaving his job, and i'm honestly not sure where things will go from here because i haven't started writing the next chapter but we'll see how it goes. maybe i'll get some inspiration from your comments? hehe. :) it'll be quite a wait to the next update because i've got an essay to submit but i hope you guys will be back to read when the next chapter's out. till then, hoping you lovely readers are still enjoying the story! thank you once again for subscribing, reading and commenting~ i appreciate it loads! ♥(ノ´∀`)