Fifteen

An Ambiguous Affair

“Kibum?”

“Yeah?”

Kibum looked at his boss expectantly, naturally assuming that Minho was about to give him some instructions about work but what the personal assistant didn't expect was the actor to look at him with a sort of expression that made him feel as if he was a child about to be abandoned by his parents. And Kibum realised his instinct was right once he heard the following words that came out of Minho’s mouth.

“I think... it's best if you leave Yuri and I alone with the dance instructor when they arrive later.”

Both Minho and Kibum were now in one of SM Entertainment's famous practice room that Minho normally wouldn't step into because these rooms were famously used by the idols rather than the actors under SM’s management. Yet, they had a reason to be here now since Minho (together with Yuri) had a dance to master in 2 weeks. Being the host, the actor and his personal assistant had arrived half an hour earlier to ensure that the room was equipped with everything they needed and that they were well prepared for the 3 hours long dance practice that was scheduled to happen twice a week in the following 2 weeks. They only had 4 practices in total to perfect a dance good enough to be performed at an awards show because that was all both parties could arrange after taking both Minho and Yuri's schedules into consideration.

What used to be the free time for Minho and Kibum to spend as a couple was now dedicated to said dance practices with Yuri. When the couple had realised this, neither said anything; nothing could be said anyway since both had no choice but to accept it. The atmosphere around them became rather tense, even gloomy at times, but they knew work was work and they needed to be professional about it. After all, they long knew the route they had chosen was going to be a rocky one… and this was just one of the many obstacles they had to overcome together.

And this very obstacle had set the mood for the current situation. Without saying anything to each other, Minho and Kibum each went about checking that everything was in place – Minho made sure the speakers (and other technology) were working while Kibum tidied the area and prepared refreshments and towels for the artistes. Once the personal assistant had brought in a carton of bottled water and settled it down on the floor of the practice room, Minho decided that everything was more or less settled... except for one last thing that, after much thought, he felt needed to be done for the best of both his and Kibum's interests; and that was for Kibum to leave.

Upon hearing his boss’s suggestion, Kibum narrowed his eyes at Minho. “Why should I leave?”

The actor remained silent and simply gave his personal assistant a knowing look.

Kibum understood the look. “You think I can't handle watching you and Yuri dance?”

Minho shook his head and mumbled out loud, “More like I don't think I can dance with you watching me…”

“Why?” Kibum asked, looking very much peeved at Minho’s vague explanation, and then continued with a lethal question he knew was bound to upset the actor. “Don’t want me there disturbing your one on one time with her?”

“Oh come on, Kibum, you know it's not like that.” True enough, Minho frowned as a troubled expression appeared on his face, “Please don't make this more difficult than it already is.”

“Let me remind you that you're the one acting all suspicious.” Annoyed, Kibum crossed his arms.

“I just... I feel I'll be able to concentrate better without you around, alright?” That was the best explanation the actor could give his boyfriend before Minho tried to convince Kibum in another way, “Besides, I'm giving you 3 hours of free time, Kibum. Go out and have fun.”

“I don't need it.” Kibum rejected Minho’s offer flat-out.

“Could you just do me this favour then?” Minho pleaded.

“No can do, Minho.” Kibum’s mind was set.

“Alright, fine, you're leaving me no choice but to do this. I'm sorry Kibum but please leave the practice room. I don't need you here.” This was Minho speaking as Kibum’s boss and giving his employee an order, one that clearly wasn’t to be defied.

The look in Kibum’s eyes turned fierce. “Fine, if you want to do it this way... Gyeongshik hyung, your manager, gave me specific instructions to be present for your dance practice with Yuri.”

“He did what?!” Minho stared at Kibum disbelievingly.

“You heard me. I have a job to carry out. Whether you like it or not, you have to force yourself to pretend I'm not around because Minho, I ain't going anywhere.” Kibum said with a note of finality in his voice.

Minho threw his hands up in the air and let out a breath as he began pacing up and down the room.

“I really shouldn't have agreed to do this... Look what's happening to us right now.”

Upon seeing how truly upset Minho was, Kibum’s eyes softened. It really wasn’t easy seeing someone you love so troubled. The personal assistant understood how frustrating it was for Minho because he too was upset at what had become of them. Knowing that letting their anger control them would get them nowhere, Kibum took in a deep breath and composed himself. As Minho’s boyfriend, he had every right to voice out his frustration and maybe even throw tantrums but as his personal assistant, Kibum was in no position to do any of that to his boss. And right now, it was working hours; it was his responsibility as a personal assistant to keep Minho on track and focused on his current task.

“Minho, baby, stay professional.” Kibum knew he wasn’t supposed to address Minho that way but he honestly couldn’t care less about any rule at this moment; it was the only way he knew could calm Minho down after being partly responsible for putting his boyfriend in such a spot. “You need to get your act together alright? And I mean it literally.”

Minho stopped in his footsteps and spun on his heels, turning to look at his boyfriend face to face. “I can’t do this, Kibum.”

“You can… you have to.”

“Do you really have to be around?”

Sighing, Kibum nodded slowly.

“Why does Gyeongshik hyung want you to be in the practice room as well?”

“I’m sure you know the answer to that, Minho.”

Minho kept silent, biting his bottom lip fretfully.

“He thinks there’s something going on between Yuri and I.” Not a question, but a statement, because Minho knew his manager well enough.

“Well, all I can say is that that happening is definitely a much better scandal than you and I…”

“But Kibum…”

“We don’t have time to talk about this now.” Kibum glanced at the time on the wall clock and noted they only had a few minutes before the dance practice was supposed to start. “Get ready alright? Just focus on learning the dance for now, and all will be well.”

Minho nodded, knowing that once again, Kibum was right. Whether he liked it or not, he had a job to carry out. And the reason why he had to take said job had just walked into the practice room…

“Minho! You don’t know how happy I am that you can be my dance partner.” Said reason, also known as Kwon Yuri, came walking into the practice room and straight towards Minho so she could greet the actor with a cosy hug. “Thank you so much for doing this, sweetie. It means a lot.”

Knowing that it was the right (and natural) thing to do, Minho returned the hug and smiled. “It’s no big deal, Yuri noona.”

Yet as he said that, Minho couldn’t stop himself from sneaking a quick peek at Kibum and when he noticed (much to his surprise) that his personal assistant was glaring daggers at their direction (specifically to Yuri), Minho could bet his life that the next three hours was going to be hell.

*

“Kibum, do you realise that something always isn’t right when you and I meet?”

With his arm wrapped around Kibum’s waist to awkwardly support his rather tipsy best friend, Jinki tried to fish out the key from said best friend’s favourite polka dot messenger bag with his other free hand to let them into his dorm. Earlier, Jinki had received a call from Kibum asking him out for a drink which apparently turned into one drink too many for Kibum to handle. Jinki knew it wasn’t his best friend’s intention to end up this drunk but on account that there really wasn’t much to do besides drink since the only thing Kibum kept saying throughout their time at the bar was ‘Hyung, I wish I could tell you how troubled I am’, getting drunk was unavoidable.

Jinki wasn’t as clueless as he seemed though; he knew Kibum could only be troubled over two things: one, his family, and two, his job. And knowing that Kibum had patched things up with his parents (well, maybe just his mother), his job was the only logical explanation left. And Jinki knew Kibum’s troubles definitely had to do with a certain Choi Minho. Jinki wasn't that oblivious; he more or less knew Kibum wasn't just Minho's personal assistant anymore. Because if his best friend was only just that, Jinki would have heard a different story at the bar, one along the lines of Kibum complaining about (or cursing at) his boss and quitting his job or at least wanting to quit his job. Yet, he heard nothing about that so the personal assistant had to be somewhat emotionally attached to his boss for Kibum to find it difficult to reveal to him details about their relationship. Even if his best friend didn't tell him that he and Minho were now involved in a relationship, Jinki could safely assume they were. He wouldn’t be surprised if they were anyway since the signs from the previous time he met Kibum were all pointing to a relationship… one that apparently was on the rocks right now.

Clutching Jinki’s shirt, Kibum fidgeted as he leaned against his best friend and shook his head. “It’s not that something’s wrong, Jinki hyung, it’s just that I hate how I am now…”

“Drunk?” Jinki quipped, still trying to pull up the flap of the damn messenger bag.

“No!” Kibum pushed Jinki away and glared at the elder, wobbling a bit as he tried to gain his balance and stand straight. “Who says I’m drunk?”

Jinki quickly reached out to hold Kibum, helping him to find his balance. “Look at you, Kibum… you can hardly stand without my help. I bet a thousand won you feel as if the world’s spinning right now.”

“I don’t have a thousand won for you.” Kibum frowned, easily opening his messenger bag even in his intoxicated state and trying to look for his wallet only to get stopped by Jinki who used the opportunity to take out the key to Kibum’s dorm before he closed the flap of the bag to put an end to this nonsense.

“That’s not the point.” Jinki shook his head, inserting the key into the lock and finally letting them into Kibum’s dorm.

“Hyung, this is not your dorm.” Kibum huffed, crossing his arms over his chest, “This is my home! How dare you just open my door like it’s your dorm?”

“I’m sorry?” Jinki decided it was better to just apologise before Kibum could make a scene at the public corridor.

“Apology accepted.” Kibum replied as he felt Jinki’s hand on his back, pushing him forward and urging him into his dorm. “Stop pushing me, hyung!”

“Remind me next time never to let you drink this much.” Jinki found the switch to the lights and turned them on before he walked to the kitchen and poured a glass of water for Kibum to drink.

Taking the glass from Jinki, Kibum gulped down the glass of water before he passed it back to Jinki and declared, “I’m not drunk.”

“Keep telling yourself that.”

“I’m not drunk. I’m not drunk. I’m not dr-”

“Kibum, on account that I am the closest thing to family you have in Seoul, please don’t make me murder you right now.”

“Jinki hyung, you could never murder me.”

“Oh lord, please help me.”

“The lord will definitely not help you with killing someone especially me.”

With Kibum answering him so seriously like he was attending a formal interview, Jinki was left completely speechless.

“Hyung, you have sinned. You need to repent.” Kibum stated rather sternly before his features softened as he continued to assure Jinki, “Don’t worry. I will pray for you.”

“Now I need a drink.”

“But drinking is-”

“Why exactly do I have to put up with you when I’m not even the one responsible for making you all troubled?”

“Because you’re my-”

“That’s it! Give me your phone. I’m calling Choi Minho to deal with you.” Jinki raised his hand out to snatch Kibum’s bag away from him, all ready to fight with Kibum only to realise he was faced with no resistance as he easily caught hold of the bag.

“Go ahead, call him.” Kibum shrugged, “He’s too busy having his hands all over Kwon Yuri’s y body to answer your call anyway.”

Jinki stilled. “Is that it? Is that what’s troubling you?”

“If only that was it, hyung… if only.” Kibum sighed, walking straight to his bed so he could drop his whole tired body on it.

Jinki followed Kibum’s footsteps but sat gingerly on the edge of the bed and waited for Kibum to continue.

“Hyung...” Kibum whined, letting himself go in front of his best friend and finally sharing his troubles out loud, “This wasn't supposed to happen... it was supposed to be just business. But nooo, I just had to get myself involved with him. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be feeling this jealous when I see him with women. And even though I know it’s strictly work when he’s with those women, it still drives me crazy every time I see him get cosy with them. It’s ridiculous, hyung, how I lost control of my emotions when I thought I could be professional about it. It’s easier said than done… I can remind Minho to stay professional but I myself can’t, hyung, I just can’t! Not with all that’s been happening. It’s too difficult. I can’t do this anymore. Why did I have to fall in love with Minho when our relationship's bound to head down the path of doom?”

“Kibum, no relationships are doomed to fail right from the start…”

“Mine is.”

“If you choose to think that way, then yes, I guess your relationship will never work out.”

“What are you trying to say, hyung?”

“You’re too pessimistic, Kibum.” Jinki sighed, “And it’s okay if you’re jealous… it’s even alright if it’s driving you crazy that you can’t control your emotions and stay rational all the damn time, because doesn’t that mean it’s a relationship worth fighting for?”

Kibum stayed silent as he tried his best to process Jinki’s words in his inebriated state (the glass of water helped cleared his mind a bit).

“I’ve never seen you get this worked up over someone so I guess you really do care a whole lot about Choi Minho huh?”

“I love him, hyung.” Kibum found himself naturally replying before he could even ponder about it.

Jinki nodded, a smile naturally appearing on his face as he realised that his best friend had found love. “Then talk to him alright? Work things out… or at least let him know how you feel.”

“There’s nothing to talk about.” Kibum mumbled as he closed his eyes and held his forehead, “It’s just me making things difficult and being the worst personal assistant AND boyfriend ever.”

“Well, you will be if you don’t let him know how you feel.” Jinki poked Kibum on his thigh repeatedly, “Has it even crossed your mind that he may be worrying about you?”

Kibum swatted Jinki’s hand away and looked seriously at his hyung, “I’m either too drunk, or you’re actually good at giving relationship advice.”

“Well, you know me, I’m smart like that.” Jinki smiled smugly and raised his eyebrows up and down at Kibum. “Aren’t you happy to have a friend like me?”

As his answer, Kibum sent a kick to Jinki’s side, one that had enough force to cause his best friend’s naturally clumsy body to fall off the bed, one that eventually caused Kibum to burst out laughing, much to Jinki’s displeasure.

“Hey!” Jinki rubbed his backside and gave his angriest glare to his attacker. “What was that for?”

In the midst of laughing, Kibum reached out his hand and offered to help Jinki up. “Hyung, I can safely say I’m happy that I have you as a friend.”

Jinki took Kibum’s hand and got off the floor, resuming his position on the bed. By then, Kibum’s laughter had finally died down and when he did calm himself down, he turned to the side and looked earnestly at Jinki.

“Jinki hyung?”

“What?” Still angry with the unexpected kick he received, Jinki snapped in annoyance.

After keeping silent for a moment, seemingly feeling slightly uncomfortable with what he was about to say, Kibum smiled and answered, “Thanks hyung… for everything. And I’ll… I’ll take your advice.”

Author's Note: hello! glad to finally update for you guys, although i do know it seems like a filler chapter more than anything else. nothing much has happened yet something has happened? haha. i had to end the chapter since it was getting so long and i haven't updated in ages. still, i hope it was a good read and that it'll keep you looking forward to updates. once again, thank you for subscribing, reading and commenting! have a fantastic February ahead!