Twenty One

An Ambiguous Affair

Quitting his job wasn’t as difficult as Kibum had expected it to be. Sure, he might have had to cook up a story that went along the lines of deciding to go back to school as an explanation to the company but ultimately, all he had to do was give two weeks’ notice before he was free to go. His boss, Minho himself, didn’t expect it to go this smoothly either. As much as the actor prepared himself for the sticky situation they might get into, Minho didn’t even have to step in at all to help Kibum quit, though Gyeongshik did call him in for a meeting to discuss about the sudden circumstances they were in. Both Minho and Kibum had been worried about that, but it turned out they had nothing to be troubled about because Gyeongshik was more concerned about work above everything else; and with Minho assuring his manager that he could handle himself like a grown man, Gyeongshik had let the matter go almost too easily. Minho knew his manager had his suspicions about what was going on between him and Kibum, but it was to both of their benefit that some questions were better not asked. So that was that.

What was more of a matter of concern for not only Kibum but also Minho now was the fact that Kibum had to get his life back on track. He obviously couldn’t stay at the dorm the company had been providing for him anymore so Kibum’s top priority was finding a place he could rent in Seoul because one thing was for sure, he wasn’t heading back to Daegu. Certainly, the thought of staying in Minho’s apartment had crossed both of their minds but before Minho could even suggest it out loud, Kibum had shot his boyfriend down with a glare because they both knew they would be asking for trouble if that were to happen. Thankfully, his job as Minho’s personal assistant paid well and by the time he resigned, Kibum had enough savings in his bank account to find a decent place to stay. Of which, Minho eventually managed to be of some use, because coincidentally, his elder brother was graduating and returning back to Incheon, leaving the apartment located in Sinchon that he had been renting empty and available for Kibum to take over at a reasonable monthly rent well within his means. And Kibum did just that. As independent as Kibum wanted to be, sometimes, it was better to take advantage of whatever connections he had.

Now that he had a roof over his head, Kibum was left with figuring out what he wanted to do with his life. This had been the golden question right from the start, wasn’t it? Truth be told, Kibum had been extremely tempted to stay as Minho’s personal assistant especially since the news of Minho and Yuri, like all other celebrity gossip, had died down and things were getting back to normal. He had tried sounding Minho out on such an idea but the actor simply refused, forcing Kibum to understand that the situation was now too risky. There was no turning back. Besides, even if Minho had agreed to Kibum remaining as his personal assistant, there would come a time when his boyfriend had to leave the job because let’s face it, the job of a personal assistant had no prospects. They both knew Kibum had the knowledge, skills and abilities to achieve greater things in life so how could Minho allow all that Kibum was capable of go to waste? As such, Kibum was left with no choice but to finally decide on a path to take. And the personal assistant soon realised that the lie he originally told as a reason to quit had become the truth.

It was the only option he had – going back to school. Because even if Kibum had a job in mind, he couldn’t apply for it, let alone secure the job, since he had no qualifications whatsoever. No sane employer would ever hire him when all he had was a measly worthless high school diploma to fall back on. Kibum hated it but he knew he had to get a damn degree to secure a proper job. It was probably a sign that he had to head back to school anyway when Kibum realised that his future home was going to be in Sinchon. Every Korean knew Sinchon was home to several reputable universities (this explained why Minho’s brother was living there), the most famous one being Yonsei University, and this was where Kibum, with Minho’s encouragement, decided to start off.

“Found anything you like, baby?”

The moment the ever so familiar voice entered his mind, Kibum lost his concentration. Besides, if that wasn’t enough, along with Minho’s question came a chilled bottle of beer that had appeared between the screen of Kibum’s MacBook and his face.

Moving his eyes away from Yonsei’s website to his smiling boyfriend, Kibum took the beer from Minho’s hands and muttered a thanks before he shrugged in reply, “All I know is that  Business is definitely out, so are anything related to Science or Engineering… I have no interest in doing either Law or Medicine as well, and that leaves me with-”

“Nothing?” Minho interrupted jokingly, only to get a glare from Kibum that made the actor feel slightly wronged. “Hey, you’re limiting yourself too much, don’t you think?”

“Isn’t that the point?” Kibum rolled his eyes at his boyfriend before he turned serious and pulled Minho down to have him right beside him on the sofa so he could show him the remaining options available through the website, “I’ve actually narrowed it down to either Liberal Arts or Social Sciences.”

“Huh.” Minho replied with interest, throwing an arm around Kibum’s shoulders and making himself comfortable while he placed his attention on the MacBook because he knew this was going to take some time… He wasn’t complaining though, he was definitely happy that Kibum finally found a direction of some sort. After all, they only had about a week left together until the date Kibum had the green light to leave.

“Yeap,” Kibum proudly answered as he naturally leaned against Minho with his MacBook on his lap, “And you know what?”

“What?”

“I was thinking of studying Mass Communication.”

“Wait, what?” Minho’s eyes widened comically as he turned to look at Kibum upon hearing a course of study he could actually relate to, “Did I inspire you or something?”

“I can’t say you did, I can’t say you didn’t either.” Kibum said with a smile as he glanced at Minho, “Mass Comm sounds the most interesting to me right now… and maybe it has something to do with all the time I spent with you at work, but among all the courses offered that I read up on, this appeals the most to me.”

Hearing the certainty in Kibum’s voice, Minho couldn’t help but grin like the proud boyfriend he was, “As long as you’re happy with your choice… you know I’ll always be behind you.”

After taking a swig of his beer, Kibum the foam off his lips and then leaned towards Minho to press a moist kiss right on the actor’s lips. “Sappy, but yeah, I know, Minho, thanks.”

“Since when did you get this courteous with me?” Minho teased before he swiftly stole a kiss back from those lips that always worked magic against his, “I don’t think I can get used to such a nice side of you…”

“Okay. You asked for it.” Annoyed with Minho teasing him, Kibum instantly reached out to pinch him hard on his arm, which of course caused Minho to groan in pain and instinctively push Kibum’s hand away.

Minho rubbed his arm to soothe the pain and sulked, keeping silent and allowing his expression to say everything.

“Awwh, you cutie~” Kibum cooed exaggeratedly as he gave Minho’s cheek a quick squeeze, “You’ll probably miss this when I’m gone...”

Kibum only meant to play around with Minho but once the words had left his mouth, the reality of it had hit both himself and Minho hard. In an instant, the atmosphere changed. Kibum’s smile froze on his face, growing awkward by the second, while Minho’s sulk turned serious. It took a moment of them just looking at each other and thinking about the future of their relationship before Kibum finally broke the tense silence with a sigh.

“Minho… you know what this means right?” Kibum didn’t wait for Minho to answer as he continued, “I’ll have to sit for the college entrance exam again, I’ll have to study my off for the damn test to make sure I get into Yonsei, I’ll be busy preparing for the exam… as busy as you’ll be with your own schedules, and that means-”

Not wanting to hear Kibum spell everything out, Minho placed a finger on his boyfriend’s lips and nodded, “I know… I understand. So can we just, not remind ourselves of that, and enjoy what we have now before I have to accept the fact that I won’t be able to see you on a regular basis?”

Kibum shot a reproachful look at Minho for his childishness, but caved in when his boyfriend, the actor, looked at him with large pleading eyes and pursed lips.

“Fine.” Kibum relented, defeated by Minho’s adorable antics, “But as your personal assistant, I have the duty to remind you that you have to be out of the house by 6am tomorrow for hair and makeup before you head to the filming site of your drama, which probably means that you should sleep… right about now?”

“It’s coming to midnight.” Kibum pointed at the time displayed on his MacBook. “You need to sleep now to make sure you get a good night’s rest.”

Minho sighed, closing his eyes and resting his head in the crook of Kibum’s neck, before he muttered, “Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m actually going to miss your nagging...”

Kibum smiled, leaning his head against Minho’s as he mumbled back, “I know, baby, I’ll miss this too… I’ll miss you.”

*

“So? How does it feel?”

Kibum cast a quick glance at his best friend and then averted his eyes back to the two separate designs of bed sheets he held in each hand which he was currently deciding between before he replied, “Hyung, I’m shopping for household items with you, what do you mean, how does it feel?”

“Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m asking about, Kim Kibum.”

“Lee Jinki, why are you such a busybody?”

“I have the right to be, I’m out here shopping with you for household goods in broad daylight, for goodness’ sake.” Jinki exclaimed before he unexpectedly pushed Kibum’s left hand down and pointed at the bed sheets Kibum was holding in his right hand, “This one, yellow apparently helps you sleep better.”

Kibum raised an eyebrow at his hyung, choosing not to judge him out loud, and went along with what Jinki suggested instead as he placed his other choice back on the shelf and walked away with the yellow bed sheets in his hand, “See, hyung, it isn’t that embarrassing to be here with me…”

“Don’t try to change the subject.” Jinki warned as he followed behind Kibum who was now heading towards the display of cups, “Just answer my question, Kibum.”

“What? How it feels to be back as a student and living all by myself?”

“No, stupid, I know how that feels.” Jinki rolled his eyes and said, “What I’m asking is how it feels to be separated from Minho.”

Kibum shrugged, carefully picking up a dark blue coffee mug and holding it in his hands to scrutinise it, as he explained, “Hyung, it’s only been a few days since I quit my job… I can’t say much right now.”

That was a lie though. It had only been a few days but Kibum had gone through a rollercoaster of emotions. First, he had to deal with the trouble of having to move house, and even though it was just the same huge luggage that he had left his university with, settling into an entirely new environment was never easy. Next, he had to cope with the vast amount of free time he was gifted with now that he was jobless, and that made Kibum feel a sense of emptiness he had never felt before. However, he knew this wasn’t going to last long since he gradually had to get back to studying, and that would clearly occupy a whole lot of his time. What affected Kibum the most though was the fact that he hadn’t seen Minho ever since the last day of his work, which of course meant that Minho couldn’t be around when he had to go through all this. Forget about the new apartment; forget about becoming a student all over again, because what Kibum had trouble getting used to the most was the absence of Minho. But this was something Jinki didn’t need to know, and so, Kibum kept that to himself.

“Have you been keeping in touch with him though?” Jinki’s voice disrupted Kibum’s thoughts.

“Everyday, actually.” Kibum casually answered, not admitting that it still wasn’t enough though, before he added, “In fact, he’s coming over tonight.”

“Doesn’t he have schedules to attend to?” Jinki asked, getting slightly restless with the amount of time Kibum was taking to pick something as simple as a cup, “I saw news that he’s the new host of some music programme and a variety show.”

Kibum laughed, impressed that Jinki was as updated as he was. “Wow Jinki hyung, you’ve been paying attention…”

“Well, he is your boyfriend… and as your best friend, I’m just being concerned.”

Smiling, Kibum shook his head defeatedly and finally decided to get the dark blue mug as he walked towards the section of eating utensils, “Well hyung, he’s busy, but he said he’ll come over once he’s off work.”

“Ah, that explains why you’re in such a good mood.”

“Not exactly, Jinki hyung, I expected you to know me better...” Kibum said, smile growing wider and eyes disappearing into crescents, while he forced Jinki to hold the bed sheets for him so he could quickly pick up a pair of stainless steel chopsticks and a spoon.

And when he was done, Kibum turned to Jinki to say, “Shopping makes me happy.”

“Mmhmm.” Jinki responded half-heartedly because he was more interested in knowing when they could leave, “Are you done?”

“Yupp,” Kibum replied, leading them both to the cashier, “I just need to head to the supermarket, but I’m sure you’re perfectly fine with accompanying me there since we’ll be surrounded by food…”

“Hey, don’t judge!” Jinki laughed as he stood in line with Kibum at the cashier, “Food makes me happy the same way shopping makes you happy.”

“I know, and as a way of saying thank you for coming out with me today, I’ll cook your share tonight alright?”

“Sounds good.”

“There’s a condition though.”

“What?”

“Just leave before Minho arrives.”

“But he still owes me a photo together!”

“Hyung!”

“Aish, fine. I got it, I got it.”

Kibum could only turn a blind eye at the unhappiness written all over Jinki’s face because he definitely wasn’t going to give his hyung the chance to be the third wheel and disrupt the one on one time with his boyfriend that he was looking so forward to. Nothing was going to stand in Kibum’s way of a wonderful night with Choi Minho.  

*

Upon returning to his studio apartment, Kibum had cooked a simple but very delicious, if Jinki’s sparking eyes said anything, kimchi bokkeumbap in record time, and managed to get his hyung to leave all happy and contented with a lunch box of home cooked food in his hands. He even had the time to clean the kitchen as well as tidy the rest of the apartment which included changing his bed sheets to the new ones he had just bought. After which, Kibum headed straight to the showers to refresh himself and change into a new set of clothes he thought he looked rather attractive in, before he finally settled down on his bed and waited excitedly for Minho to arrive. Yes, nothing could stand in Kibum’s way of a perfect indoor date with his boyfriend... 

Except said boyfriend himself.

Bummie, recording’s still in progress.

Sorry, you know how it is... PD’s not satisfied.

Be there as soon as I can alright?

Love you.

“Damn it.” Cursing out loud, Kibum fell back on his bed and dropped his phone beside him.

He probably should have expected this. After all, Minho never did state an exact time he was ending work. Kibum should have known better than to let his excitement overwhelm him and lead him to the decision of cooking a surprise dinner for Minho. He couldn’t even blame Minho if he wanted to because the actor had been kept in the dark. Rolling his head towards the direction of the kitchenette, Kibum let out a sigh at the sight of the covered pan that was keeping the kimchi bokkeumbap warm. Kibum couldn’t be optimistic about the situation anymore; he understood how Minho’s work was like. It was definitely going to take a while before the actor could end work, so Kibum could forget about having dinner with his boyfriend. Getting up from the bed and taking his phone with him, Kibum wasn’t going to let his food go to waste, nor was he going to lose his appetite over this. He was used to having dinner by himself anyway; it was no big deal, because even if Minho couldn’t make it for dinner, Kibum reminded himself to be happy with the fact that his boyfriend was still going to make the effort to come over once he finished recording. And so, he perked himself up and quickly sent a reply even though he knew Minho was probably away from his phone, recording for his variety show.

No worries, I understand.

I’ll see you soon then, love you too.

Soon turned out to be a time so late that Kibum couldn’t force himself to stay awake and he ended up falling asleep on his bed while waiting for his boyfriend to arrive. This, he only realised when he woke up with a start upon feeling a warm embrace around him along with light, feathery kisses down the side of his face and along his neck. Relaxing his body, Kibum breathed out a soft sigh, one filled with both satisfaction and relief, as he snuggled back into what he recognised as his boyfriend’s chest and closed his eyes again.

“I see the spare key came to use…” Kibum mumbled, his voice raspy with sleep.

In the next moment, Minho’s hug around his boyfriend grew tighter as barely any distance separated their bodies. “I’m sorry it took me this long, bummie.”

“I don’t care, you’re here now.” Kibum pulled Minho’s hand to his lips and marked it with a kiss, “Now go eat the kimchi bokkeumbap I cooked for you.”

“You cooked?”

“Mmhmm.”

“I really want to eat, Kibummie, but-”

“Oh! Is it late? What time is it?”

“About 1am?”

“Ah, then never mind, you shouldn’t-”

“No, Kibum, it’s not that, I’m just too comfortable lying here with you that I don’t want to get up.”

Kibum smiled, “I know what you mean…”

“Maybe I could eat it in the morning?”

“Will you still be here for breakfast?”

“Yes, but I have to leave by 9 though…”

“Then I guess I’ll have to be up earlier to cook you something fresh.”

“Kibum…”

“Don’t apologise, it’s not your fault.”

“But-”

“Shut up, don’t spoil the moment, and let’s just sleep. I know you’re exhausted… we’ll use the morning to catch up.”

And Minho did just that, closing his eyes and letting sleep overcome him as he fell asleep with Kibum in his arms, because his boyfriend always knew best. 

Author's Note: so. the chapter wasn't supposed to end like this. i originally planned for Minho to not turn up at all, but it was cliche and i got soft hearted and ended up writing it this way. i do regret it though, still having doubts that it shouldn't end this way because now i have no clue what to write in the following chapters... but oh well. i guess there's a reason why my fingers just naturally typed all that out. hahaha. anyway! a lot's been happening in the shinee world with their comeback this week and all. to keep this a/n short, i'll just say, seeing the boys in any number not equal to 5 is heartbreak, but i have my absolute faith in them, forever and always. which is why, chapter 2, why so serious, is still going to be perfect, but even more perfect when Jjong returns. ^^ alrighty, that's it from longwinded me. i hope you awesome readers enjoyed the update! hugs and kisses to everyone~ :D