Three

An Ambiguous Affair

Kim Kibum’s life had been ordinary until the moment he decided to take a leap of faith. He was 21 and an undergraduate in Seoul National University, the top university in Korea, and if that wasn’t enough to wow anyone, the fact that he was pursuing a degree in Business Administration would. It was his parents’ wish to see him enter the prestigious SNU Business School, his father hoping he would graduate and then take over the family business, so Kibum had worked hard to make their wish come true. Being the only child, he felt that it was only right to live up to his parents’ expectations and so he did what he had to do, leaving everything behind in Daegu, his home, to study in Seoul. True, Kibum clearly wasn’t just an average student but his life was still ordinary. He was a student, had a well-balanced life, played hard, worked hard, and lived like how any other 21 year old would. However, that all changed when Kibum had been lying in bed one night in his dorm and started wondering what on earth he was doing with his life. Was majoring in Business something he truly wanted? Was this the road he wanted to take? Or was he doing everything because of his parents? The answers were obvious. And at that moment, Kibum suddenly felt as useless as a puppet, that he was only living his life as directed by his parents, that he wasn’t doing this for himself. He realised that although he didn’t hate his current life, he didn’t love it either. And that was all he needed to know for him to change his life.

It was crazy, perhaps even crazy was an understatement, but he took a leap of faith. Before Kibum could even have second thoughts about leaving the university for good, he immediately filled out the Voluntary Resignation Form and sent it for approval with his academic advisor. Of course, it wasn’t easy getting past his professors, let alone the dean of the school. Kibum was doing well academically, he never had been a problem student, and in fact, was well liked by all his teachers and course mates. His sudden decision had shocked everyone around him but what could they do when Kibum’s heart was clearly no longer in it? His professor had asked him for a good enough reason to convince him to approve for his resignation and when Kibum had simply replied that he didn’t want to waste any more time doing something he didn’t love, his professor could only reluctantly approve of his application. And after a week of waiting and an almost two hour long talk with the dean himself, Kibum’s request was accepted and he was back in the dorm, packing up his belongings without even knowing what he was going to do next.

Kibum was scared, deathly afraid to be honest, of his parents’ reactions when they found out he had left school but one thing was for sure - he had no regrets. Something in the back of his mind was telling him that this was the best decision he was ever going to make in his life and with that belief, he left SNU and never looked back. With his family back in Daegu (not that he could turn to them anyway), the only person Kibum could truly trust in Seoul was Lee Jinki, a senior who had guided him on his very first day at SNU. It was no surprise then that the first thing Kibum did was look for Jinki right where he knew he would be - Renaissance Hotel. Jinki had a part time job there to support his studies so it was the only other place Kibum could find him apart from SNU itself. Kibum could swear he had never seen his hyung’s eyes grow so wide before when Jinki had caught him standing at one corner of the hotel lobby with his huge luggage. As if that wasn’t enough, Kibum had also successful caused Jinki to lose his ability to speak when he had told him what had happened. Still, a shocked Jinki couldn’t just leave his dongsaeng alone and he had immediately (with his connections in the hotel) helped Kibum arrange a room for him to settle down first. With Jinki’s promise that he would help Kibum figure things out once he was done with work, Kibum knew he didn’t have much of a choice to turn down his hyung’s good intentions and so, he gratefully took the key from Jinki and tugged his luggage to room 2309.

It was only when he had finally stepped into the comfort of the hotel room and crashed into the bed that the reality of the situation had finally hit him hard. Perhaps Jinki’s reaction had also made everything so much more concrete; that this was indeed happening, that Kibum had gave up his studies just like that. Kibum knew he was no better than a lost wandering soul. He had nowhere to go, he had no clue what his next step in life was, he had no direction whatsoever. As much as he had no regrets, Kibum couldn’t run away from the fact that he had to face a new wave of troubles that came with his rash decision. That was the price he had to pay; he knew he had to be responsible for his own actions and now, he had to sit down and think, really plan what he was going to do next. Taking in a deep breath, Kibum was all ready to consider and delve into the many possibilities that life could bring him when the piercing sound of the doorbell broke the silence in his room. It was too soon for it to be Jinki and so, Kibum was reluctant to open the door. He wasn’t in the mood to entertain any unwanted visitors at a time when he was already troubled enough so he had every intention to ignore it. Yet, curiosity got the better of him and he found himself walking towards the door just to take a peek at who was outside. Not that it helped satisfy Kibum’s curiosity anyway since Kibum could hardly make out the person’s appearance as the stranger had half if not most of his face covered. It was uncanny then that Kibum could actually sense the desperation of the stranger just by looking through the peephole. Call it empathy or whatever but before he knew what he was doing, Kibum had opened the door and inevitably welcomed the stranger into his room.

It only took a second for him to regret his action. And it took less than a minute for him to dislike the stranger who he found out was an actor named Choi Minho. The funny thing was, it took roughly an hour, during which they went head to head more than enough times to make it impossible for a friendship to be made, for Kibum to end up having dinner with Minho after an amusing experience with a dumbfounded reporter. Not wanting to waste any energy of putting himself up against the other, Kibum chose to put his effort instead on fully enjoying his dinner that Minho was paying for at one of the posh restaurants in the hotel. It was for this reason as well that Kibum decided to play nice and try his best not to snap at Minho. As such, dinner turned out fine, the atmosphere so much better than how it was in the room, and they talked, engaged in a friendly conversation that proved that the both of them could potentially get along but that was all there was to it. Dinner had ended and Kibum and Minho went their separate ways, fairly confident that they would never cross each other’s paths again.

This explained why Kibum could not believe his luck. Of all the job advertisements he had marked out on Classifieds (Jinki had advised that the most important thing for him to do was find a job first), he just had to pick the one that was posted by S.M. Entertainment (which Kibum had found out was Minho’s management company when googling him). Then again, Kibum didn’t even know he had applied for a job under the entertainment company since the company had remained anonymous in the ad. The only words (or more like numbers) that had caught his eye was the salary range and how it was significantly higher than the average salary offered to applicants with the same qualifications as him. He knew there had to be a catch with the job but when he saw how he fit the job description almost perfectly, Kibum decided to go for it. The money was just too good. So when he had contacted the number provided, the last thing he expected was for his interview to be held at S.M. Entertainment.

“Kim Kibum?”

Regaining his focus on the current situation, Kibum looked straight into his interviewer’s eyes and nodded. “Yes.”

“You’re only 21.”

“Yes.” Kibum gulped, afraid that his age would put him at a disadvantage. “Yes, I am, Sir.”

“Perfect.”

Kibum’s eyes had widened, not at all hiding his surprise, and his interviewer had simply let out a hearty laugh.

“You see, we need someone young for the job... it’s, well, almost a 24/7 kind of job so don’t expect office hours. If it helps, we will provide a dorm for you that’ll make your work more convenient.”

At that moment, Kibum understood why the remuneration was so attractive. Yet, there wasn’t anything stopping him from taking on a job that needed him 24/7 since after all, he still had no direction in life and he needed the cash to survive now that he was out of school. What’s more, the company was going to provide him with a dorm which Kibum desperately needed since after all, he was currently homeless.

“And you left SNU Business School huh?” The interviewer had flipped through his resume and nodded approvingly before looking at Kibum with an impressed expression. “Still, you must be smart.”

The real Kibum would have scoffed and rolled his eyes at that remark but the Kibum who now needed to get into the interviewer’s good books could not.

“Just the type we need for a job like this.” The interviewer smiled widely and rubbed his chin in thought. “I supposed you have read the job description?”

“Yes, I have.” Kibum replied. “And I assure you, Sir, I am more than capable of being the personal assistant your company is looking for.”

Of all things he was confident in, Kibum had to be the most confident of his attention to detail. This was one of the main reasons why he decided applying for the job of a personal assistant would be the most suitable job that would give him the opportunity to use his potential to the best of his ability. That was why Kibum had dared to make the statement even though he only had a high school certificate to fall back on.

“I know you’ll be.” The interviewer closed the resume in his hands and placed it properly on the table before looking at Kibum with an eager smile. “So when can you start?”

“Anytime!” Kibum had returned an equally eager smile and repeatedly thanked his interviewer as they shook each other’s hands enthusiastically. And that was enough for Kibum to practically seal his contract with S.M. Entertainment and secure his new job as a personal assistant. At the back of his mind though, Kibum was reminded that Minho was under SM as well but he didn’t think it would matter since for one, SM was a huge company and two, he was sure he would never meet Minho with the actor having busy schedules and all. However, Kibum would soon find out that that was not to be…

“Once you’re done with looking through the contract, it’ll actually be great if you can start now because Minho’s actually in the company today.”

Holding his breath, Kibum’s eyes had stopped at the word he was reading in the contract, his fingers gripping the papers in his hand a little too tightly, and slowly, he looked up to meet his interviewer’s eyes.

“Sorry but did you say… Minho?”

“That’s right, Choi Minho, our up and coming star.” His interviewer answered like a proud father. “You’re going to be his personal assistant.”

Kibum’s jaw dropped. Could he get any more lucky than this?

Author's Note: i'm back! finally. sorry for the long wait guys! got distracted and wrote 2 oneshots instead, and i had mid terms as well. currently having a one week break from school but i've 2 more mid terms coming up! woah. i hope i can squeeze one update in the coming week so you guys don't have to wait too long. hehe. anyway! more of Kibum's story in this chapter so it'll be Minho in the next, and more minkey interaction as well. hope you guys enjoyed the chapter (although nothing much happened) and i'm crossing my fingers that you'll continue to read the story! thanks for reading and subscribing lovelies! do leave a comment to let me know your thoughts! ^^