An Ambiguous Affair

An Ambiguous Affair

D-Day had arrived and surprisingly, Kibum couldn’t be more thankful. He had suffered enough. Forget about the studying and the amount of stressful sleepless nights he had to endure because there was just so much to cram in so little time; what was more painful was the fact that, true to his promise, his boyfriend had gone missing for a week. Yes, it was exactly what Kibum wanted but he didn’t realise how torturous it was to suddenly feel something he hadn’t felt for a very long time - loneliness. Yet, he had only himself to blame. He was the one who asked for it, he had brought it upon himself and Minho was only doing exactly what he wanted him to do. He probably should have known Minho would give him everything he wanted. So Kibum honestly deserved feeling so down and gloomy for the entire week with books and readings as his only company while he did everything he could to stay away from his phone and anything else that would distract him from preparing for the national exam.

Kibum had been close to breaking down countless of times during the week but eventually, he managed to grin and bear it, and even had the best sleep he ever had the night before the all-important day. It was weird but he was undoubtedly the only one who had a bright smile on his face among everyone who was making their way towards the test center, minutes away from taking the gruelling university entrance exams. In normal circumstances, all the joy would have seemed to be out of each exam candidate but Kibum was the exception. Maybe it was due to the fact that he was older and had taken the exam before so he wasn’t as nervous as the high school seniors who were taking the do-or-die exam for the first time, but Kibum knew he was happy mainly because he was excited to get the exam over and done with.

It was around 8am when Kibum arrived at the venue of his assigned test center where his exam was scheduled to start at 8.40am and last for at least 8 hours. He still had a bit of a walk to go before he reached the exact venue but he could already see the crowd that had gathered at the entrance and hear the noise and chatter that came along with all the activity. It was a scene he was familiar with, having watched this on news while growing up, not to forget having personally gone through all of this before. Nothing had changed. Junior students still stood at the entrance of the test center to welcome and cheer on the exam candidates as they arrived, holding signs and banners wishing good luck and victory to their seniors. Police were on standby at the entrance and around the venue to monitor and control the crowd and deal with any emergencies that may crop up. Kibum wasn’t even surprised to see a group of reporters along with their cameramen gathered just in front of the crowd near the gates of the exam venue. After all, there were popular Korean idols and artistes who were going for their entrance exam too.

Kibum couldn’t care less about who these famous people were though. Still, he found his attention being caught when he unintentionally laid eyes on someone who was surrounded by the cameras, someone whose face and body was blocked by the reporters and cameramen, but all these didn’t matter because what stood out the most to Kibum was the fact that that very someone, from the glimpses Kibum could catch of the person, was wearing a long sleeve navy shirt that he would recognise anywhere. Kibum had his doubts at first. After all, there was nothing unique about a long sleeve navy shirt which anyone could own in their wardrobe. But when he squinted his eyes and took in the pattern of the plaid along with the design of the two snap-flap chest pockets upon walking closer, Kibum’s heart stopped. That was the exact shirt he had bought for Minho when they went on their first overseas trip to Japan together back in the days when he was still working as the actor’s personal assistant.

For a moment or two, Kibum thought he was hallucinating since he had been missing Minho throughout the entire week. However, with every step he took closer towards the entrance, he knew it had to be Minho. It was his boyfriend who was entertaining the press, being friendly with the reporters, and from the looks of it, was actually having a very good time speaking in front of the cameras. Kibum was confused, yes, but he felt more scared than anything else. Although a thousand questions had flooded his mind in that instant, his biggest concern was to go unnoticed. Kibum didn’t even dare imagine what would happen if Minho spotted him… not that he knew exactly what would happen if Minho did see him but he just couldn’t afford any interaction with the popular actor.

With his focus on getting through the crowd and entering the school compound, Kibum quickly looked down and hurried past the cameras, trying his best to be as invisible as possible. It was almost impossible though. Even if Minho wasn’t intentionally looking out for him, Kibum wouldn’t be able to go unnoticed so easily since his hair was a light golden blonde and stood out among the majority who had black hair. True enough, Kibum heard an ever so familiar voice call out to him just after he walked past the cameras. Like a spell, the blonde instantly paused in his footsteps but had no courage at all to look back. The next thing he knew, Minho had caught up with him as he could feel his boyfriend’s presence just behind him.

“Hey stranger.” Minho greeted in a volume only the both of them could hear but Kibum could still pick up the excitement in the actor’s voice, and somehow, that made him feel all warm inside. It only lasted for a second though because in the next moment, Kibum was back to being tense. The entire situation was too distressing for him.

“Are you out of your mind?!” Kibum hissed, still refusing to give Minho any eye contact as he began walking forward again towards the entrance, confident that Minho was going to be right behind him.

“The cameras aren’t following us, Kibum, don’t worry. They’re too busy interviewing this hoobae of mine who’s taking the exam today as well.” Minho huffed, following Kibum closely as they entered the exam venue together, while he tried his best to assure his boyfriend that they had nothing to worry about.

It was only when Kibum found an inconspicuous spot somewhere at the back of the compound where not a single soul was in sight (everyone else was most likely already at the actual examination hall) that the blonde finally relaxed and turned to face his boyfriend.

“What the hell are you doing here?!” After checking the surroundings, Kibum demanded to know, almost throwing his messenger bag at the actor.

“I wanted to cheer you on.” Minho casually replied with a smile.

“You could have just messaged!”

“But then I wouldn’t be able to give you your good luck charm.”

Kibum let out a breath and raised his hand out, his palm wide open in front of Minho’s eyes, “Okay, pass it to me and then leave. I’ll call you once my exams are over alright?”

“Kibum, quit worrying. There’s no one here.”

“I can’t relax, Minho, I shouldn’t be seen with you. This isn’t good at all. And you know it. God, I don’t know what you’re thinking. Were you even thinking?!” Kibum suddenly stopped himself from rattling on and shook his head, “Forget it. We’ll talk later. Just give me my good luck charm.”

An amused smile appeared on Minho as he remained silent, neither moving nor doing anything at all.

“Where is it?” Growing impatient, Kibum wiggled his fingers to and fro to urge Minho to quickly pass him the good luck charm he had prepared.

Minho’s smile grew so wide that his eyes disappeared as he pointed at himself from head to toe and at that exact moment, Kibum’s jaw dropped.

“Well, I wanted to kiss you too but I know how you would react so…” Minho cleared his throat and placed on the brightest smile before he punched his fist in the air and cheered, “Fighting!!”

Kibum couldn’t close his mouth, his eyes now as wide as saucers.

Minho stifled a laugh behind his hand, “Bummie… a bug is going to fly in there.”

Instantly, Kibum closed his mouth and awkwardly shifted in his position as he slowly recovered from his surprise and finally uttered two words to break his silence, “You’re ridiculous.”

Minho shrugged with a smug expression on his face, “You love your good luck charm. I can see it in your eyes.”

“Oh god, Minho, please stop.” Kibum pleaded.

Minho chuckled and grew serious, “Alright alright, I know how much of a distraction I am to you, so I’ll say goodbye now… all the best Kibummie! You can do it! Promise to call me as soon as you’re done? I cleared my schedule today especially for you.”

Kibum simply nodded in reply.

Minho smiled as he waved a goodbye, “Good luck!”

Just as the actor turned around to leave, Kibum called out, “Hey Minho!”

Minho turned back, “Yeah?”

“Thanks… for coming all the way here.”

“No prob-”

“I love you.”

Not giving Minho a chance to say anything, Kibum turned around and headed straight to the exam hall. He wasn’t going to let his boyfriend see the smile that split his face. Deep down inside, Kibum was absolutely thrilled to see Minho, completely defeated that his boyfriend could even come up with such an idea to call himself a good luck charm. He also had so many questions to ask the guy but he knew it would never end once he started. Kibum still remembered he had a major exam to get to on time. So as much as he wanted to spend more time with his boyfriend, Kibum had to force himself to leave, but of course, not before he thanked him in the way he knew Minho loved best. True enough, as he walked away, Minho was laughing loud enough for Kibum to hear. That alone was all he needed to lift his spirits up so he could walk into the test center with all the confidence and courage any exam candidate could ask for. With Minho’s encouragement, Kibum just knew he was going to ace this exam. He was his good luck charm indeed.

*

“Actor Choi Minho was also spotted out and about on the day of the college entrance exams. Here’s what he had to say when our reporter caught up with him.”

“I’m just here to cheer on a special someone. I hope that you’ll receive great results and I’ll always be supporting you. But of course, I would also like to send my well wishes to everyone who’s taking the exam. Please do well and get into the college of your choice so you can make your dreams come true. Thank you. Fighting!”

Pressing the remote control to turn the television off, Minho slumped into the sofa and let out a hearty laugh. The actor honestly couldn’t be happier that he had even appeared on the local news. The news had been buzzing since morning. The little stunt he pulled in the morning at the test center was covered in every broadcasting company’s entertainment news, his name reached among the top searched in online search engines and the entire issue hotly discussed in online forums. 

Who was this special someone in Choi Minho’s life?

He did it. Minho had every intention for this to happen. Yes, all this time, he wanted to announce their relationship to the whole wide world; not only did he want everyone to know that he was in love but he also wanted them to know who he was in love with. But no, he obviously couldn’t do that. There was so much at risk. Minho had his ways though, and so, he did the next best thing after that. He purposely made it clear that he had a special someone in his life. This was the closest he could come to letting people know that he was happily in love. So when it came to his attention that one of his hoobaes was also attending the national exam at the venue Kibum was taking his, Minho knew the media was definitely going to be out working, presenting him with the perfect opportunity for him to execute his plan. And grab the opportunity he did.

I love you.

Recalling the exact words Kibum left him with, Minho laughed out loud. Everything was a success! Those three words made every risk he took for Kibum worthwhile.

Minho must admit, he was extremely proud of himself. Even when the phone calls and text messages from his manager (plus family and friends) came immediately after to demand an explanation, Minho had no regrets at all. He didn’t have to come up with any excuse when his manager and friends prodded for more information. He just simply left it as it is for them to figure out, simply assuring them that all is well. Minho honestly wasn’t accountable to them. This was a fact that was harder for his manager to accept but actually, there wasn’t much for Gyeongshik to be angry about since it built a positive image for his artiste. Minho was confident his manager would let him off easily and Gyeongshik eventually did, faster than Minho expected. It was a different story when his family, namely his mother, asked though. Minho eventually chose to tell her the truth when his mother personally called him.

“Yes mum, I do have a special someone… No, he’s not younger than me; he’s taking the exam for the second time. No, he’s amazing but it’s a long story so I’ll bring him home soon and you can find out more about him then alright?”

And that was all it took to settle things with his mother. Actually, Minho knew his family, friends and manager (or company) were going to be the least of his problems. As insensitive as it sounded, he also wasn’t bothered by the reactions of his fans and the public as well. If his fans truly loved him, they would support him unconditionally. Minho wasn’t as concerned as he should be about the reaction from the public. Truth be told, his biggest worry was none other than Kim Kibum. If Kibum was already so agitated when he had seen him earlier at the test center, Minho didn’t dare imagine what Kibum would do when his boyfriend found out about what he had done in public. Well, looking at the time, at least he had a few more hours to go before that happened so for now, he was safe… and still very much proud that he had accomplished what he had always wanted to do. Even if Kibum ended up furious with him till the point that he wasn’t going to speak to him for days, Minho wouldn’t change anything.

*

“Where the hell did your brain go?!”

“Bummie!” Upon hearing the sudden voice in his apartment, Minho who had been lazing on the sofa and losing track of time as he tried to beat his own high score on Wind Runner, looked up from his phone to see his boyfriend storming towards him, “You’re here! How did exams go?”

“I breezed through it. But don’t you dare ignore my question, Choi Minho!” Kibum shouted as he came to a halt just in front of the sofa, throwing his bag onto the floor. “Answer me!”

“Kibum… it’s no big deal.” Minho said as he shifted to sit slightly more upright on the couch.

“Are you kidding me? Everyone’s talking about it!” Kibum threw his hands in the air and started pacing up and down. “My phone was flooded with messages from Jinki hyung, he says you’re his idol now by the way but that’s not important. What’s important is that it’s all over the news! I saw the news clips on the way here, I read the reports, and I saw the reaction online. It’s huge! Everyone’s wondering who the hell this special someone is!”

“But sadly, they don’t know it’s you.”

“Sadly?” Kibum stopped in his footsteps and turned to stare at his boyfriend, “You mean thankfully, don’t you?”

Minho cleverly chose not to answer Kibum and said instead, “Calm down, bummie…”

“Don’t ask me to calm down when the whole wide world is trying to figure out who your special someone is and if they ever find out that it’s me, we’re-”

In one swift action, Minho caught hold of Kibum’s wrist and pulled him down so accurately that his boyfriend fell straight into his arms on the sofa. Kibum’s weight wasn’t an issue to Minho though because the actor quickly adjusted their positions and shut his boyfriend up with a kiss… and more.

“I missed you.”

Minho muttered against Kibum’s lips when they broke apart before things got out of hand.

Kibum sighed, “I missed you too, Minho, but-”

“Shut up, Kibum, you worry too much.”

“Did you just ask me to-”

“Trust me, you have nothing to worry about, baby. Everything is fine.”

“Stop interrupting me when I-”

“Oh right! I didn’t get to say this just now in the morning, but I love you too.”

Kibum narrowed his eyes dangerously at Minho who was pushing his blonde fringe to the side so he could see his boyfriend’s eyes.

“What’s wrong, baby?” Minho asked with an innocent smile.

“You.” Shifting into a more comfortable position in Minho’s arms, Kibum poked the actor on his chest, “That’s what’s wrong!”

With his hands on his boyfriend’s waist, Minho kissed Kibum once before he cheekily asked, “So wrong, it’s right?”

Kibum fell silent, lips pressed into a thin line for a long moment, but Minho could see that his boyfriend’s defenses were crumbling. And true enough, finally, Kibum was defeated.

“Yeah, so wrong but it feels so right.” Kibum allowed a small smile to grace his lips as he gave in and agreed with his boyfriend that had always been so good with words.

“That’s just the way we are, bummie...” Minho returned a smile as he leaned his forehead against Kibum’s, “But we’re perfect like that… now and forever.”

This… was their ambiguous affair; but no, what they shared with each other wasn’t simply going to last for a limited time. After all they had been through (and everything else they still had to go through in the future together), both Minho and Kibum knew that this love was going to last a lifetime.

Because one thing was for sure; if Kibum was a dreamer, then well, Minho, and only Minho, would be his solid ground.

 

Author's Note: and as cliché as this sounds, the end is truly only the beginning. cue ulgy sobbing. okay. so. i have a million thoughts running through my mind right now that i don't even know where to start. *breathes* well. firstly. the ending, the last paragraph of words. that's what has been keeping you waiting. because i couldn't write one that satisfied me... i am still not exactly happy with it but i guess i'll never be since i love this baby of mine so much that it's hard to mark it complete. and that brings me to my next thought. AAA IS FINALLY COMPLETED. after 10 months or so, 26 chapters to be exact and over 68000 words, it has come to an end. i don't even know what to say right now... but THANK YOU. because without you, I would have never come this far. i would have no inspiration nor motivation to write this story and continue it for so long. thanks to every single one of you who accompanied me through this journey... reading, commenting, subscribing and just being the perfect bunch of readers any author could ever wish for. i may or may not know who you are, but that doesn't matter because i am sincerely thankful to anyone who decided to give this story a read. you are why AAA is the way it is. alright. as you can see, i am an incoherent mess and this a/n is going to turn into an essay if i don't stop myself right now. i guess... what i'm trying to say, I LOVE MY READERS AS MUCH AS MINHO AND KEY LOVES EACH OTHER IN THIS FIC. ^^;;; and with that, it's a goodbye for now! and well, you are always welcomed to share your thoughts and feelings, or maybe just talk with me in the comments below! ♡^▽^♡