Twenty Five

An Ambiguous Affair

Kibum liked to imagine. In fact, he could probably declare himself as a dreamer. He loved thinking about the what ifs in life, dwelling on the would and could have beens, and simply exploring the possibilities that life could offer. All this thinking, wondering and imagining only happened in his mind most of the times though. There was only that one rare incidence that he actually put his thoughts into action and well, look where he was now. His life had turned a complete 180 (or to be accurate, 360) since then. From an average business student from Seoul National University, he became a personal assistant to an actor who was gaining popularity in the entertainment industry but Kibum didn’t even know existed let alone expect to love. Yet, in a twist of events, he had suddenly found himself head over heels with the actor, his boss, and when love came into the equation, he didn’t have much of a choice but to give up his job and reconsider his options in life. With all that had happened to him, Kibum probably should have known that anything was possible. So it really shouldn’t have come to a shock to Kibum that something he had never thought he would have to deal with in his life was in fact happening right now.

“Do we really have to do this, Kibum?” Minho questioned as he watched his boyfriend, who was busy with his skin care routine in the bathroom, from the bed.

“Yes.” With his eyes still on the mirror, Kibum gave a curt reply while he applied his cleanser in circular motions on his face.

“Is this truly what you want?”

All Minho got was a nod because Kibum was too busy massaging his cleanser gently into his skin.

“Is there no other way out?” Minho frowned.

“Mmhmm.”

“Even though you know it's going to be difficult for the both of us?”

Still not looking at his boyfriend (not that he needed to since he knew said boyfriend was pouting), Kibum nodded once again before he splashed his face with warm water.

“But Kibum, I don't know what I'm going to do without you...”

By then, Kibum had finished drying his face with a towel. And so, sick of hearing Minho’s grumbles, he threw the towel aside in a fit of anger and finally turned towards the actor to exclaim, “Oh for heaven's sake Minho, it's only for a week!”

“Exactly Kibum! That's 7 days, 160 something hours if my mental calculations are correct, and god knows how many minutes without you!” Minho shouted back, “How am I supposed to get through this when I don't even see you enough right now?!”

Kibum stormed out of the bathroom and pushed Minho on his chest hard enough for the actor to fall back on the bed, “Do you or do you not want me to do well for my exam?”

Minho quickly sat up as he replied, “Of course I do but-”

“No buts.” Unwilling to hear anymore, Kibum cut the actor short, “Choi Minho, you need to understand that I can't get any studying done whenever you're around.”

“But you study enough when I'm at work.”

“You can never study enough.” Shaking his finger at Minho, Kibum disagreed and explained, “All I know is that you're a major distraction and I need you out of my life until my exams are over.”

Minho sighed out loud, “But I'll be done with filming in 2 days and I was looking forward to spending time with you!”

“We can do that once I'm done with exams.”

“I've got overseas promotions tentatively scheduled then.”

Kibum let out a huge breath and paused for a moment, almost wanting to take back his words and give into Minho but this was the most crucial stage leading up to the major national exams. And that fact alone was enough for him to steel his heart and stand by his original decision.

“Then I guess we'll have to wait then.” Kibum decided, “It’s not like we aren’t used to that…”

Minho went silent for a second and then suggested, “How about we change it to 5 days instead of a week?”

Kibum shook his head, “5 days isn't enough for me to tackle the amount of revision I have to do.”

Minho raised 2 fingers (that cutely resembled a peace sign) and negotiated, “2 days? Kibum, 2 measly days is all I'm asking from you... and after that, you can do all the studying you want for the rest of the week.”

“2 days make a lot of difference to students, Minho.” Although deep down inside, he wanted to, Kibum refused to give in, “Please don't make this any more difficult than it already is for me.”

“Seems to me you're perfectly fine with kicking me out of your life for a week.” Minho was close to his breaking point.

“Minho...” Kibum attempted to touch Minho on his arm only to get shunned away by his boyfriend.

“No, it’s okay, I get it.” Minho said with a straight face as he shifted himself towards the edge of the bed, “Let's do this then. A week of being complete strangers, is that what you want?”

“Why do you have to make it sound so bad?”

“Kibum, you said we shouldn't meet or contact each other. If that's not how you describe strangers, I don't know what strangers are to you.” As he spoke, Minho got off the bed and walked around the apartment to gather his stuff, “But whatever it is, fine, I'll do what you want. Let's start from now then. Good luck with your exams, Kibum. I hope you'll study hard during the week.”

Not knowing how to react because he was shocked at how harsh Minho sounded, all Kibum could do was watch his boyfriend leave his apartment without even looking back once. Although he got what he wanted in the end, Kibum never did wish for Minho to walk out like that. And as the door slammed shut, Kibum winced and swallowed a lump that had formed in his throat. For the first time in his life, he was actually afraid of Minho, so afraid that his mind went blank. The almighty fearless Kim Kibum suddenly found himself as helpless as can be, having absolutely no clue what he could do to appease his boyfriend.

Kibum groaned as he collapsed onto his bed, questioning himself how things had turned out this way. Was it really his fault? Was he asking too much? Wasn’t Minho overreacting? Did he really have to get this angry? Kibum had expected Minho to understand; after all, his boyfriend had always been the understanding sort. It never crossed his mind that Minho would be against the idea. Actually, he never did think Minho would ever get angry with him since his boyfriend never failed to give in to his every need and want. Pushing his fringe back in frustration, Kibum sighed when it struck him that Minho had been spoiling him too much in this relationship of theirs, so much so that he had eventually become overly demanding. And suddenly, Kibum hated himself. Cue time for self-loathing if not for the distinct notification from Kakaotalk alerting Kibum that he had received a message. With high hopes that it was a text from Minho, Kibum quickly rolled onto his side and stretched his arm to grab his phone off the bedside table. Indeed, his although-angry-but-still-perfect boyfriend didn’t let him down as his message popped up on the screen of Kibum’s phone.

You're really gonna let me go just like that?

Kibum’s face instantly lit up as he hurriedly typed a reply.  

Come back you idiot.

Is that how you should address a person you want back in your house?

You know what I mean… 

Stop wasting time Minho. 

You’re supposed to stay over tonight.

I'm not wasting time... 

You are.

Where are you? 

Have you left?

I'm heading to my car.

Kibum instantly jumped off the bed and rushed straight towards his door, having every intention to chase after his boyfriend. Yet, when he opened his door, Kibum let out a audible gasp, stopping all movement and freezing in his position, as his eyes fell on Minho who was (surprise surprise!) standing outside, leaning against the wall directly opposite the door of his apartment, looking as if he never left.

“What the hell Minho! You gave me a fright!” Kibum shouted, heart pounding in his chest, as he stared at his boyfriend who had slowly looked up from his phone, “I thought you said you were going to your car!”

Giving Kibum a look of indifference, Minho shrugged and casually answered, “I am... just very slowly.”

“So slow that you're hardly moving?” Kibum rolled his eyes and then stepped forward, reaching out to grab Minho's wrist, pulling him back into his apartment, “Come back in my idiot.”

“Did you just-”

“Yes, I called you an idiot again, do you have a problem?” Intentionally ignoring the fact that he called Minho ‘his’ as he closed his door, Kibum then turned back to Minho, widening his eyes and daring his boyfriend to continue his sentence.

Knowing it was better not to tease Kibum now, Minho instantly shook his head and expertly curled an arm around Kibum's waist to hug the blonde close, going along with his boyfriend instead as he answered, “Not at all, my love, not at all...”

Letting out a breath, Kibum relaxed into Minho’s warmth, “Look, I'm sorry that I'm being difficult and I know how much it means to you to finally have time to spend with me, heck, it means a lot to me too, but Minho, as hard as it is for the both of us, please understand alright? Just this once more?”

Minho hummed as he nodded, “I know, I'm sorry too. That's why I messaged you...”

Kibum leaned forward and left a pleasant surprise on the actor's lips, “Thanks baby.”

Minho broke into a smile, “You called me baby. And just now... Wow, I'm going to be the happiest man alive if you continue to be like this.”

“Nah, you won't.”

“Why not?”

Cupping Minho’s face and rubbing the actor’s lips gently with his thumb, Kibum shrugged and answered distractedly in a mumble, “There can only be one such person around...”

And before Minho could say anything, the blonde had closed the distance once more to kiss the pair of irresistible lips that he had been eying the entire time. Kibum was simply too relieved to have Minho back in his apartment to be able to think about anything else. He needed to treasure whatever time he had with Minho before they separated for a week. All he wanted now was to kiss his boyfriend senseless so they could just forget about everything that happened a while ago. Besides, he wanted, needed, to show how much he loved Minho, how much he appreciated having Minho in his life and reward his boyfriend for being so perfect.

Although Minho was very much involved in the electrifying kiss that was leading up to so much more, he still had the ability to understand exactly what Kibum meant. And knowing that just made Minho feel all the more blessed that he had Kibum to call his. It was definitely no issue at all to Minho if his boyfriend wanted to be the happiest man alive. Well, Minho just had to settle for being the luckiest man alive then. Perhaps this little conflict in their relationship wasn’t so bad after all.

 

Author's Note: the final chapter got too long so i'm splitting it into two parts! here's a short update first! >v< the next part will come in a few hours! this i promise you. by tonight, AAA will finally come to end. TvT i'm feeling rather emotional right now so dear readers, stay with me till the very end alright? enjoy! ❤