Twenty Three

An Ambiguous Affair

“Hyung, you wouldn’t believe what just happened!”

An incomprehensible noise sounded through the phone just as Kibum breathed in and started rambling like there was no tomorrow.

“My idiot of a boyfriend called me at 5 in the morning, which I’m actually perfectly fine with if I got to wake up to him saying he loves me or some other bull along those lines but nooo, instead, he tells me we have to talk… of course I know we have to talk! We haven’t seen each other in 25 freaking days, there’s obviously a problem with our relationship, but seriously hyung, of all the times he could tell that to me, he had to pick a time when I wasn’t even awake enough to handle the we’re going through! What the hell is wrong with him?!”

A groan was heard on the other end of the line before a gravelly voice spoke, “Kibum, you’re calling me at 7am, waking me up so my poor delicate ears can get tortured by your loud rants… what makes you any different from him?”

“Hyung, you have a class at 8am. You’re supposed to be awake!”

In a fit of anger, Kibum almost succumbed to his urge to pull his hair, almost. Luckily, he stayed as calm as he possibly could; yet, he still couldn’t stop himself from shouting at Jinki over the phone. Of course, Kibum wasn’t the only one who couldn’t keep his annoyance in check as he instantly heard his hyung shouting back at him.

“I live in the school dorm, dammit! I can wake up at 7.45 and still be on time for my class!” Jinki retorted, his voice a volume higher than usual,

Kibum was this close to dropping his head to the table but he composed himself and let out a sigh instead, “Lee Jinki, your point is?”

Upon knowing that Kibum had managed to calm himself down, Jinki did the same and returned back to the normal, sharing his honest opinion with his unofficial best friend, “I don’t see why you have to get this mad at Minho… your boyfriend is only trying to save your relationship.”

“Hyung, there’s nothing that has to be saved in my relationship with Minho.”

“You said it yourself, Kibum, you haven’t seen him in 25 days... that’s not just a problem, that’s a huge problem.”

“Don’t rub it in my face.” Kibum pouted, staring at the coffee in his mug that had long gone cold, “It’s sad enough that my boyfriend wants us to talk but can’t even find the time to meet me in person.”

“Why can’t you take the initiative then?”

“Hey, it’s him who wants us to talk, not-” With the sound of his doorbell interrupting him, Kibum paused and got off his seat to walk towards the door, “Wait, hold on hyung, there’s someone at my door…”

“I bet it’s Minh-“

“What the are you doing here?!” Kibum shouted into the phone even though it wasn’t directed to Jinki.

“Mmm. Definitely Minho.” Jinki laughed out loud, knowing he had won the insignificant bet, “So I guess I can go back to sleep now?”

“No, get your lazy out of bed and prepare for class. I’ll call you later, hyung.” Rolling his eyes, Kibum ended the call and got back to glaring at the surprise visitor at his doorstep. “Wow, am I dreaming? You actually managed to get your down here?”

Looking exactly like how he looked when Kibum met him for the very first time, Minho pushed down his scarf that covered his mouth and said breathlessly, “Kibum, before you shout and throw me out, please just consider the fact that I’m putting a lot at risk to be standing here right now so I hope-”

Before Minho could finish his sentence, the actor felt himself get pulled forward into Kibum’s apartment by a rough tug on his arm and then heard the door shut with a thud.

Quickly regaining his balance, Minho turned towards Kibum as he quickly took off the rest of his disguise, which included his usual cap and shades, and said, “Thank you.”

As opposed to Minho’s well manners, Kibum was nowhere near polite since he went straight to the point in the harshest of tones, “So you’re here to have that talk with me? Is that what you want, Choi Minho?”

Just when Minho was about to answer him, Kibum raised a hand and silenced his boyfriend as he snorted and went on, “You know what, don’t answer that. God, I don’t even know whether I should laugh or cry, because I haven’t seen you in almost a month and when I finally do, you’re here to-”

Silence. But not before the squeak Kibum had uncharacteristically let out because without warning, Minho had rather forcefully shut him up after with a kiss. It was a messy one too, with lips all over the place, Minho securing Kibum in his arms and making the effort to kiss his boyfriend properly since the blonde was rather unresponsive, almost as still as a statue. The actor could only take comfort in the fact that Kibum wasn’t pushing him away, still allowing Minho to kiss him even though he wasn’t responding. And Minho tried to use that to his advantage, pressing soft, unhurried kisses onto Kibum’s lips, hugging his boyfriend closer and tighter, wanting so much to break Kibum’s defences and melt his heart until the blonde was kissing him back. Minho almost wanted to give up though; it felt as if forever had gone by as he waited for some sort of response from Kibum, but it finally came when he felt a hand on his chest just as Kibum parted his lips, the slight movement against his own lips enough to make Minho’s heart skip a beat. The actor knew it wasn’t a kiss though, so he pulled away and waited for Kibum to speak.

Hand travelling up from Minho’s chest to his shoulder, Kibum looked into his boyfriend’s eyes and muttered, “We’re not going to have makeup if that’s what you’re hoping for.”

Minho stilled for a moment before he smiled defeatedly at his stubborn boyfriend whose anger, he had noticed, had lessened considerably. And so, Minho knew he didn’t have to speak cautiously around Kibum anymore.

“God, you’re frustrating, Kibum.” Minho breathed out as he nudged Kibum on his forehead lightly with his.

“Look who’s talking.” Kibum nudged back.

“Kibum… I know I’m an idiot, so please, could you help me understand what I did to make you this angry?”

Biting on his bottom lip, Kibum released himself from Minho’s hold, taking a number of steps back as he asked, “Has it occurred to you how ominous it sounds when you said you wanted us to have a talk?”

“What do you mean?”

“Imagine if I was the one who said that to you, Minho, how would you feel?”

Understanding flashed in Minho’s eyes as he instantly shook his head and even waved his hands about anxiously to quickly explain himself, “No, Kibum, hell no! Definitely not what you’re thinking! We just haven’t seen each other in almost a month and I wanted us to talk about that, come up with a solution or something. I was on the verge of losing my mind from missing you too much but you seemed perfectly fine without me so I was desperate and made the call this morning… I didn’t expect you to think that way…”

With a sad smile, Kibum shrugged, “That’s because I’m not as perfectly fine as you think I am without you.”

Minho frowned, “But you’re always happy when we talk... and you never complain.”

“I just don’t see the point in being all upset and frustrated when we finally get to spend some time with each other. Besides, I’m not going to give you a reason to dump me for some pretty face you’re surrounded by at work.”

“Are you kidding me, Kibum?” Minho asked in disbelief as he closed the distance between them and cornered his boyfriend until his back was against the wall, “What more could I ask for when I already have you?”

“For all I know, you could get greedy.” Kibum thought out loud, forced to tilt his head a little for their eyes to meet because he felt as if Minho, who was suddenly too close for comfort, was towering over him even though their difference in height was less than 5cm.

“Only when it comes to you, bummie.” Minho replied, one hand cupping Kibum’s face and the other settling on the small of his back so he could bring his boyfriend forward, closer to him. And just like that, the atmosphere had changed and things were heating up.

“What exactly do you want from me?” Kibum managed to mumble, unable to sound as assertive as he wanted to, because in the next moment, their noses were brushing against each other, their lips so dangerously close that Kibum didn’t dare move his head the slightest bit as he talked, knowing that if he did, their lips would have touched and their conversation coming to an end.

“Right now?” Minho asked in a gruff voice, the hand that was on Kibum’s back now slowly finding its way under Kibum’s annoying oversized shirt which, in Minho’s opinion, was a total hindrance at this point in time.

With Minho’s hand rubbing circles on his back and the other caressing his face, Kibum swallowed nervously before he shakily replied, “Yeah... what do you want?”

“You, Kibum. I want you.”

In normal circumstances, Kibum would have laughed. He would have the urge to kick Minho in the crotch or at least, shoot his boyfriend down with some witty response. Yet, in that moment in time, with Minho stating his desire out loud in such a deep sultry voice, Kibum found himself giving in to Minho’s demand, knowing very well exactly what he had to do. So finally, Kibum moved forward and brought their lips together in a heated kiss that was inevitable right from the start. And that was the spark they needed to lose all inhibitions and let their desire for each other take over. There was no doubt that, underneath all the tension, Minho and Key had missed each other terribly; the attraction between them had been strong all along. Of course, as it got harder for them to catch their breaths in between kisses with their hands eagerly taking off all clothes and bodies moving haphazardly together to find the bed, there was no doubt about where their kiss would end.

*

“I can’t believe I fell for it.” Kibum breathed out, coming down from his high and trying his best to snap out of his fuzzy state of mind.

Although not as breathless as Kibum, Minho still had to take in a deep breath and swallowed to wet his dry throat before he cleared it and asked, “Fell for what?”

Kibum shot his boyfriend a side-glance. “Your ploy for us to have make-up .”

“Kibum.” Minho let out a groan at first but ended up laughing as he rolled to his side so he could face Kibum properly.

Mirroring Minho’s position, Kibum narrowed his eyes suspiciously at the actor, “What? I bet you came here knowing we were going to end up in bed.”

And in bed they were indeed, lying comfortably next to each other with only a blanket covering their bare bodies from the waist down.

Minho sighed, reaching out to brush Kibum’s fringe out of his eyes so he could take in his boyfriend’s features as he defended himself, “I came here wanting to make sure you were okay, and that things between us are alright, Kibummie.”

Staying silent for the time being, Kibum hardened his stare at Minho.

True enough, Minho finally cracked. “Alright alright, fine. I knew we were going to end up like this… but come on bummie, you would be lying if you said you didn’t think this would happen.”

“What I think doesn’t matter.”

“Why are we even discussing about this?” Minho complained while intentionally curling his arm around Kibum’s waist to pull his boyfriend flush against his body, “Are you unhappy? Was the not good for you? Because from what I recall, the sounds you were making just now when you were begging me to you proved otherwise.”

With a blush rising on his cheeks, Kibum looked away and muttered under his breath, “It doesn’t mean that things are alright now because we ed.”

“I know, bummie, but things are not going to be alright if you keep this attitude with me.” Minho pressed a kiss to Kibum’s forehead, “Can we play nice and talk about it without wanting to kill each other?”

Kibum nodded, “Fine, but not now, not when we’re, you know… like this.”

“Actually, don’t you think we’ve got one part of ‘baring our souls’ to each other covered like this? If you know what I mean.” Minho asked teasingly with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

“You’re an idiot, Minho.” Kibum pushed himself away from the actor, rolled to the edge of the bed and then stretched his arm to pick up his boxers that he remembered were thrown somewhere around there.

Minho watched silently as Kibum then wore his boxers under the blanket before he moved off the bed, getting to his feet, and said with a stern look, “I’ll shower first. You’ll go after me. And then we’ll talk.”

“How about we shower together instead to save time?”

“And have a round two? You wish.”

“Kibum.”

“What?”

“What makes you think I have the time to stay with you today?” Minho propped his upper body up on his elbows as he looked at Kibum amusedly.

“Because I’m guessing you got scared when I lashed out at you this morning and you had no choice but to call in sick so you could be excused from all schedules today and happily be right here, right now.”

“Have I told you how it also scares me that you can read me this well?”

“I already know, Minho.” Kibum simply answered and turned towards the direction of the bathroom, walking away with a smirk as he said, “After all, I can read you like an open book.”

A defeated smile appeared on Minho’s face as the actor fell back onto the bed and laughed helplessly at the situation he got himself in. Even if Kibum had such a hold on him, even if he was hopeless when it came to Kibum, Minho would change nothing about it.

*

Resting his chin on his hand, Kibum stared at the sheet of white paper in front of him and tapped his pen against the paper repeatedly. It had been 20 minutes since Minho and Kibum had agreed to each come up with a list of ways to meet each other at least once a week and share their list with each other when they were ready but Kibum had only one thing on his list so far.

Quit job.

Knowing that his solution was impossible, Kibum was quick to give up as he crumpled the paper into a ball in frustration and threw it in the direction of his boyfriend who had been looking thoughtfully at his list. Meeting Kibum’s eyes, Minho raised an eyebrow in question.

“Ready?”

Kibum shook his head and frowned, “Minho, I think we should just accept the fact that we would never be able to see each other as often as we want to no matter how hard we try.”

“You’ve got nothing on your list?” Minho questioned as he picked up the crumpled ball and began smoothing out the paper.

Kibum instantly reached across the table and snatched the paper out of Minho’s hand as he huffed, “Don’t bother looking. It’s rubbish.”

“You had something written down.”

“Nothing that’s useful.”

“Really?”

“Yes. And don’t look at me like that.”

“Like what?”

“Like I’m guilty of something…”

“Are you?”

“No.”

“Alright then. I guess there’s nothing else I can say.”

“Share with me what you have on your list.”

As casual as can be, Minho picked up his list and began reading, “Quit being an actor.”

Kibum’s eyes widened as he gasped, “You saw?!”

“That’s what you wrote?” Minho asked, surprise evident in his eyes, before he chuckled behind his hand, “Well, I guess I shouldn’t be that shocked since my job is the source of all problems in our relationship.”

“Don’t say that…”

“The truth hurts.”

“Minho…”

“It’s okay, bummie.” Minho shrugged, “It’s not the first time I hate my job for taking things away from me.”

Not wanting to stay on such an unhappy topic, Kibum took Minho’s hand in his and gave it a squeeze as he smiled warmly at his boyfriend, “What else do you have on your list?”

Minho returned the smile and passed his list to Kibum while reading out one of his suggestions, “Sacrifice sleep and sneak around late at night?”

“Sounds viable…”

“But we’ll be tired and it’ll be dangerous.”

“Let’s not think about the buts.” Kibum insisted with a friendly smile before he skimmed through Minho’s list, “You don’t have much written down… hmm, not take up any more acting offers for the time being? Minho… don’t be silly.”

“I was thinking, after I finish filming my current drama, I should take a long extended break before I accept the next one.”

“Will management allow?”

“Kibum, I’m not their puppet. I still have some control over my own career.”

“I don’t want you making wrong decisions…” Worrying his bottom lip, Kibum quickly voiced his thoughts as he looked deep into Minho’s eyes and added, “Besides, I’m not going anywhere. You won’t lose me because of your career, I promise.”

A smile broke out on Minho’s face. “God, I really love this side of you.”

“What side?” Kibum shifted uncomfortably under Minho’s intense gaze.

“The side where you’re hopelessly in love with me.” Minho beamed.

Kibum choked on air.

Minho burst out laughing, “It’s okay, baby, you’re not the only one.”

Pretending that Minho’s words had no effect on him, Kibum forced himself to glare at the actor and mumbled out loud, “Minho. We’re digressing.”

“Actually Kibum, I think we’re good.” Minho winked, “I’ll drop by whenever I can, even if it’s just for an hour, I’ll spend all my free time with you… as long as you’re fine with accommodating my schedule and losing sleep?”

“Yeah,” Kibum nodded, “But you don’t always have to be the one travelling. I have legs. I can come to your place instead… it may be less risky this way too. Or we could just go out when you’re free.”

“Sounds perfect to me.” Minho was glad that with just a little bit of effort on both their parts, things may just work out fine after all.

“Too bad I’m supposed to be sick… if not we would be out right now.”

“I’m happy like this.” Kibum found himself blurting out before he could hide his honest feelings.

“Me too, Kibum… I’m probably the only person who’s happy to be ‘sick’.”

For the first time in what felt like an eternity, Minho and Kibum shared a laugh with each other. And as they started playing footsie under the table, they knew the day would only get better.

 

Author's Note: haaai lovely readers! i hope i didn't make you guys wait too long for this chapter? well, i decided not to go with drama here because if i did, you guys would have to wait ages for the next to come. i'll be off on a holiday for 2 weeks and will only be back in mid june! so i'm guessing the next chapter will only come after. that's not to say there's drama to come... tbh, i tend not to be dramatic when i write stories because i don't find that believable. but i know the downside of this is that it becomes too mundane? still, i am hoping that the story isn't become too draggy for y'all and that you will stick with me till the very end. alrighty! share your thoughts with me yeah? once again, thanks for subscribing, reading and commenting dear readers! you are the reason why this story is now 23 chapters (and counting) long! (ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧