One

An Ambiguous Affair

Footsteps. Movement. Shutter sounds of a camera.

Paparazzi, definitely.

Without even turning back, Choi Minho was positive someone was following him. His years of being a celebrity would have taught him that. And Minho had to react fast. No one was supposed to know he was here. No one even his manager knew he was about to meet Yuri in room 2317. Yuri was bound to open the door for him and if the paparazzi snapped him entering a hotel room with one of the most popular female idols in Korea inside, it would make headline entertainment news all over the country. Two rising stars rendezvousing in a hotel would be juicy news to any. Whether it would catapult his career into greater heights or cause him to fall from stardom, Minho couldn't afford to take the risk. And so, at that moment, he stopped in his footsteps and turned towards the first room that came into his vision.

Room 2309.

He was left with no choice. Minho would rather try his luck on knocking on a random door than get caught with Yuri at a hotel. Whether it was going to be a male or a female, he could only count on his luck. Taking a deep breath, Minho raised his hand and pressed the doorbell. At the corner of his eyes, he could see the reporter crouched down low with his camera all ready to snap pictures, or perhaps, already capturing as many photos as he could. Although this was really nothing new to him since he had been in the industry for four years and counting, Minho was getting nervous, his heart beating faster by the second; He had enough of feeling like he was going to have a nervous breakdown. All he wanted now was to hide from the paparazzi. Just when he was about to ring the doorbell once more, the door opened. Minho braced himself for what he didn't know was about to come. Well, he was about to know now...

“Yes?”

Minho's gaze met a pair of feline like eyes that surprisingly belonged to a man (fortunately!) and was staring at him in an obviously judgmental manner. Yet, before he could notice more about the other guy's appearance, he spoke again, and in Korean thankfully.

“Can I help you?”

Thanking the gods in his mind, Minho instantly placed on a smile and nodded, “Yes.”

Without waiting for the occupant of the room to reply, Minho invited himself into the room by invading the stranger's personal space, leaving the other no choice but to step back as well and allow Minho the space to move in. Once he was safely in the room, Minho hurriedly closed the door behind him and let out an audible sigh of relief. However, the intense glare from the stranger was holding him back from feeling fully relaxed.

“What?” Stuffing his hands into the pockets of his jeans, Minho shuffled around nervously and cleared his throat. “You asked if you could help me... I'm only taking you up on your offer.”

The stranger crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow. “And how did I help you exactly?”

“You... Well, you... umm, helped me hide from someone.” Minho decided to go with the best policy — honesty.

“What are you? Filming a movie or something? Or is there just something wrong with you?” The guy, who Minho guessed should be around the same age as him, narrowed his eyes as he pressed Minho for answers.

“Sorry?”

“You must be crazy... or some psychopath.” The stranger concluded.

“I'm not.”

In a situation like this, Minho couldn't help but realise how amazing it was that the both of them could still talk to each other so calmly. He honestly had to give it to the stranger for not reacting strongly at all when he had barged into the room uninvited.

Said stranger was now rolling his eyes at an amused Minho. “That's what they all say.”

“Then why are you not panicking?”  There was a hint of a smile at the corner of Minho’s lips.

“Should I?” The stranger thought out loud. “Perhaps I should call the police... or at least hotel security.”

“No!” Minho instantly shouted, anxiously reaching out to hold the other by his arm so he wouldn't be able to get to the phone, and quickly declared, “I'm perfectly normal, I'm not going to do anything to you, I just need to hide here for a while. Trust me, please.”

“I will be stupid if I do.” The stranger shook off Minho's grip and pointed to the door. “Get out of my room.”

Anxious, Minho could only resort to his only option left. “Wait, don't you recognise me?”

The occupant of the room scanned him from head to toe and then gestured wildly at Minho as he spoke, “You have a cap on, your shades are hiding half your face, and the scarf around your neck is almost covering your mouth. Your plan to obviously hide your appearance is very much successful so do you think I would recognise you? And just so you know, you look all the more suspicious right now.”

In a desperate attempt to stop the stranger from kicking him out of the room, Minho pulled off his scarf and took off his shades. “Please tell me you recognise me now.”

The guy took one look at him and let out an annoyed huff. “Am I supposed to?”

“You really don't know me?”

“Should I know you?” The stranger's patience was visibly running out.

“No but...”

“I'm calling the front desk.”

“No! Please don't!” Minho was close to dropping to his knees to beg.

"Then get out of my room!" The stranger had lost his temper, his body was clearly shaking with anger, but Minho remained unfazed by his frustration.

"I've never felt so much as a failure as I do now." Minho sighed and stepped past the stranger so he could go further into the room and turn on the television, switching to a particular channel. “Here. Look.”

Minho threw the remote onto the bed and turned back to get the guy’s attention before pointing to the television. Coincidentally, his drama was currently on air and that was the best proof he could give to let the stranger know who exactly he was. 

The stranger’s eyes travelled from the television screen to Minho’s face and then back. Minho expected all kinds of reactions, mostly of surprise or shock, but he got nothing from the guy except for a simple statement in the calmest of all voices.

“So you're an actor.”

Deciding to be as cool about it as the other guy, Minho nodded and asked hopefully, “You're not going to ask me to get out now, are you?”

The stranger bit on his bottom lip and shrugged. “Depends... What's your story?”

“Story?”

“Yeah, to why you're hiding in my room now.”

“If I tell you, I'll have to kill you.”

“Let me get this right for you...” The stranger paused, evidently waiting for Minho to give him his name.

“Minho.” The actor answered like an obedient child.

“Minho.” The stranger repeated and then continued. “You're not acting right now so don't think it's funny when you drop lines like that on me.”

“I wasn't joking, I really meant it.”

A look of disbelief fell on the stranger’s face as he promptly shut his mouth. The honest sincere tone in his voice and almost innocent expression on Minho's face had certainly caught him by surprise. He was rendered speechless.

At his success of reducing the other to silence, Minho held back a victorious smile from forming on his face and decided to try his luck at something he was now interested in.

“So now that I've introduced myself, maybe you should too?”

The stranger huffed. “You're not leaving any time soon, are you?”

“It’s standard procedure that I stay a time not too short, but not too long either so that it wouldn't raise suspicions.” Minho explained matter of factly and so confidently that left the other no room to raise any doubts in his mind.

“So how long would that be then?”

Minho thought for a while before replying, “Long enough that it'll be better if I know your name.”

The stranger paused for a moment, making it obvious that he was weighing his options, before he purposely let out an audible sigh to show his reluctance to socialize and answered rather unhappily.

“Key.”

Minho raised his eyebrows. “You're Korean, aren't you?”

“Which part of me talking in fluent Korean to you tells you I'm not?” The stranger, now known as Key, retorted as he crossed his arms again.

“You will be surprised to know that there are many foreigners who can speak Korean fluently now.” Minho replied smoothly.

“I suggest you stop being all smart on me.” Key warned as he narrowed his eyes dangerously at a composed Minho.

 “Well, I don't think Key's a Korean name so... you know, I’m just saying.”

“How long have I known you, mister?” Although it was a question directed to Minho, Key had no intention of giving the actor any chance of replying as he continued immediately, giving the answer to his own question. “Obviously not long enough for me to think you earn the right to know my real name. So for now, be happy that I even offered a name.”

“Are you always this hostile?” Minho blurted out before he could even think and consider this was definitely not the best time to step on Key’s toes.

“Yes.” Key answered with no hesitation whatsoever.

“Wow.” Minho cleared his throat awkwardly. “You just killed the conversation.”

“That’s my intention.”

Silence. And an extremely tense one it was.

“Look, I’m sincerely sorry for intruding on you… I know you have no obligation to help me but please, since I’m already inside, all I ask is for you to let me hide here for half an hour and I’ll leave. Please.” Minho pleaded, taking the initiative to break the deadlock since he knew he was at fault here.

Key pressed his lips together in a thin line, seemingly in thought so as to come to a decision. Finally, after what felt like forever to Minho, Key threw his hands in the air and let out a groan.

“Whatever.”

A smile instantly spread across Minho’s face because he could tell that was Key’s way of saying yes.

“Thank you.” Minho said from the bottom of his heart and then promised, “I owe you one.”

“You owe me big time, mister.” Key stared hard at Minho, making it sure that the other got the message loud and clear.

And well, that practically sealed their fates together.

Author's Note: Ambiguous much? Hehheh. The second chapter is still unwritten... and I can't say it's gonna be up soon so I'm going to apologise first for the wait. Still, I hope you'll find your way back here when I update! Hope you enjoyed the first chapter too! Thanks for reading and subscribing, lovely readers. Comments are very welcomed. (: