Chapter Nine: Mission Start and Discovering New Powers

[HIATUS] UnBreakable

The first week with the girls went by smoothly without many problems. Yongguk and Jungmi continued to heads, but remained civil with each other for the sake of everyone else. Himchan began to understand the concept that there were women living with them and kept his clothes on whenever they were around. Daehyun rarely spoke, but made sure to be of assistance to the sisters as much as possible. Youngjae did his best to lighten up the mood with jokes and sarcasm, most of which were met with scowls from boys, but smiles from the girls. Jongup continued to avoid Youngmi and directed most of his questions toward Jungmi instead. Zelo began to warm up to Jungmi, but couldn't say a word to Youngmi.

In turn, Youngmi felt as though she was growing closer to everyone. Yongguk treated her like family; he was willing to buy her things she needed and would often listen to her chitter-chatter without interruption. She could interact with Himchan, Daehyun, and Youngjae without breaking a sweat, but the maknaes were still avoiding her. She didn't mind because being in the same house as Jongup made her happy enough.

As for Jungmi, she seemed to fade into the background. She didn't want to interact with the boys at all. Ever since upsetting Yongguk twice in the same day, she felt as though she was burdening the boys. Every day, she watched her little sister laugh and play with them, making her heart constrict with worry and jealousy. She knew that God sent them to B.A.P. to save their souls, but she felt as though either Youngmi or one of the boys would eventually break the conditions set at the beginning of their stay... And fall in love.  

~:~:~:~:~

Before everyone knew it, New Year's weekend was upon them. Because the sisters were so preoccupied with the boys, they had forgotten that the day before New Year's Eve was also the first day of the mission.

December 30, 2012 was a wintry Sunday, covering all the houses in suburban Seoul with iridescent, powdery snow. Yongguk woke up early that morning and entered the kitchen to find Jungmi busying herself with breakfast once again. Feeling a bit awkward because of his usual "civil-ness" towards her, he waited until she turned around to say something.

Once she turned around and found him there, she dropped the potatoes she carried in her arms, utterly startled. "Yongguk-ssi!"

As she scrambled around for the potatoes, Yongguk cleared his throat and said, "Jungmi... You don't have to cook breakfast today." Before she could pick up the last potato, a hand shot in and picked it up for her. She looked up and saw Youngjae smiling happily at her. Blushing furiously, she mumbled a reply to Yongguk.

"It's really no problem, Yongguk-ssi. I'm perfectly capable of making breakfast."

Yongguk scowled. There she goes again. Why can't she just stop and listen to me for once? Why can't she be like her sister? Bright and carefree?

Youngmi immediately came bounding in with her new winter wear and exclaimed with a sing-song voice, "Good morning, everyone! Hello, Yongguk-oppa and Youngjae-oppa!" She gave both males hugs.

Doing his best not to be distracted by Youngmi's overflowing aegyo, he stared intently at Jungmi. "Jungmi, I said that you don't have to cook breakfast. The boys will instead. Youngjae, give the girls their early New Year's gifts, will you?" The sisters shared a look. Early New Year's gifts???

While Youngjae traipsed up the stairs to Yongguk and Himchan's bedroom, Yongguk began barking orders. "Kim Himchan, Jung Daehyun, Moon Jongup, and Choi Junhong! Get your butts down here! We're cooking breakfast!"

"Aw, wae~?" Himchan muttered while coming down the stairs. He pouted, "Why don't YOU do it, Gukkie-ah? To make up for yelling at Jungmi this entire week?"

"Shut your mouth, Himchan, or I will shut it for you."

Zelo smiled as Jungmi handed him a glass of milk. "Thanks, Jungmi-noona. But, Hyung... We have no idea how to cook. We only know how to do laundry and stuff."

"You boys better learn how to cook for yourselves. The girls can't do everything for us, Zelo," Yongguk replied, ruffling the maknae's ramen hair.

"That's true, but-- Thanks, Noona," Jungmi handed Jongup a glass of orange juice while he spoke to Yongguk. "Remember the last time we cooked a big meal for ourselves? It ended in disaster!"

"Will you stop doing that, Jungmi?" Yongguk snapped, making Jungmi flinch in the middle of handing the others drinks. He grabbed her and Youngmi's elbows and pushed them into the couch. "The boys will cook breakfast while you two sit on the side. They have to learn and that is final!"

The boys grumbled as they began busying themselves with gathering ingredients, cutting, measuring, and tasting. Jungmi sat on the couch rigidly; she didn't know what to think about Yongguk's sudden change of heart. Youngmi glanced at her sister and grinned, for Jungmi's poker face was back. "You know, I know why you don't want to get close to the boys, Eonni."

Jungmi snapped out of her daze and shot Youngmi a look. "If you know, then you should be able to understand what I'm about to say. I know what you are doing, too, Shim Youngmi. Someone is bound to fall in love with you and vice versa. Don't twist God's instructions to your favor. Your plans won't end well."

Youngmi's grin fell. "Eonni, I don't what you're trying to say--"

"What I'm trying to say is that we don't have much time left. Starting today, our countdown begins. We have 90 days until they are gone forever. Get that into your dainty head," Jungmi whispered forcefully. She was interrupted by Youngjae, who had appeared to give her and Youngmi matching boxes.

"Here you go, Jungmi and Youngmi. I hope you like them," he winked.

"He's so cute..." mused Youngmi. Jungmi rolled her eyes at this. Her sister would never understand the importance of keeping her feelings out of the mission. "Eonni, why don't you stop being such a sourpuss and enjoy the time spent with them?"  

Jungmi scowled at her sister and replied, "It's because this is a mission. God didn't ask for us to form bonds with them, but to save their souls."

"And how do you think we'll be able to save their souls if we don't form bonds with them first? What happened to loving everyone like how Jesus commanded us to? How do you expect to get any of their souls into Heaven without loving them?"

"Getting your feelings into the mix is not right, Youngmi! Do you hear me? Or are you going to be a brat and disobey God's instructions?" Jungmi growled with her cheeks flushed in anger.

"Ugh, fine! I won't get my feelings into this, alright? What's the big deal?"

"The big deal is that God didn't give us any consequences to dwell on. That means, he expects success from us. Not only that, if we don't do this mission correctly, then God might just have a punishment ready for us when we fail. Do you understand?"

Youngmi glanced at the kitchen, where the boys were hard at work. Incidentally, Jongup's eyes locked onto hers, making her insides melt like butter on a hot summer day. He flashed her a bashful smile and went back to mixing pancake batter. She looked to the floor and mumbled dejectedly, "Yes, I understand."

Jungmi softened. She knew that this mission would be hard for Youngmi. This was probably God's reason for giving them the mission in the first place. Feeling a bit responsible for her baby sister's current mental state, Jungmi took Youngmi's hands into her own. "Younggie... I know that you feel disheartened. I do, too. These boys have such loving and giving personalities, it will be hard to just work on getting their souls into Heaven alone. Look, I'm sorry for scolding you earlier. I just wanted to let you know that we can't let our hearts get in the way of the mission, alright? Now, let's open our gifts."

Youngmi nodded. When they opened the boxes, both of them gasped at the same time. Yongguk had gotten them brand new Samsung Galaxy S3's. Youngmi had a white one while Jungmi had the dark blue. Youngmi picked up the sticky note attached to the side of box. A slow smile formed on her face while she read it.

Happy New Year's, Youngmi! I hope you like your gift because the boys and I contemplated hard on what to get you and your sister. We decided that new phones would be a good and convenient gift not just for you two, but also for us. Thank you for always bringing your smiles and laughs to our days! It really helps to have someone like you in our lives because of your brightness and positivity. I hope you never change the way you are for anyone! All of the boys' numbers are already entered into your phone. Call us. Thank you, Yongguk-oppa.

Youngmi tried to get Yongguk's attention from the kitchen. When he looked her way, she pointed to the box and mouthed, "Thank you!" He nodded in acknowledgement and tried to hide the smile twitching at his lips. He resumed peeling apples and scolded the maknaes about cooking the wrong way.

Jungmi, on the other hand, couldn't believe that Yongguk would even dare to buy such an expensive gift for her and Youngmi, much less, brand new phones. She turned the box over and found a handwritten note on the side of it.

Jungmi, I hope you enjoy your New Year's gift. I know that I have been harsh on you ever since your arrival, but please don't be offended by this. I often treat my members this way and by treating you the same way shows that I'm more comfortable with you than I seem. Whenever I look at you, I can see parts of my personality and past in you, which is why I tend to criticize you a lot. I hope that you'll find some way to forgive me for my harshness and that we can become good friends in the future. All the boys' phone numbers are already entered into your phone. Call us. Sincerely, Yongguk-oppa. P.S. Please call me "Oppa." It helps a lot with being kind to you.

The ice around Jungmi's heart immediately began melting. Yongguk's honest words were sincere and heartfelt. Jungmi finally understood Yongguk's point of view and that it was all a misunderstanding on her part. Being the elder of two sisters, she could see how treating others in a similar way as you would your siblings could be a form of endearment. She did the same with all of Youngmi's friends in middle and high school.

After unwrapping their gifts, which included phone cases and screen protectors, the sisters pocketed their phones and waited for the boys to finish making breakfast.

~:~:~:~:~

Once everything was set, everyone sat at the table and stared at the feast in front of them. That is, if one could call it a feast. The pancakes were charred, eggs over-over-easy, and the meat was so cooked that one taste-testing bite made Jungmi gag involuntarily. Other than that, the rice, cereal, toast, and fruit were perfectly fine.

"I knew that I shouldn't have put the maknaes on cooking the hard stuff," muttered Yongguk. Jongup and Zelo shot him apologetic looks when he glared at them.

"Um..." Jungmi said, turning heads on the table. "It's alright. It tastes fine. Thank you all for cooking for us and thank you for buying the gifts, Yongguk... oppa."

"OPPA???" exclaimed everyone on the table. They turned to Yongguk for an explanation. However, he was just as stunned as they were and couldn't provide one.

"Um, you're welcome, Jungmi. Any time." With that, everyone could feel the tension between Jungmi and Yongguk disappear. The two elders smiled at each other, transgressions instantly forgiven.

"Am I hearing things? Jungmi calling YOU, 'Oppa?' Maldo andwae (*impossible/ridiculous/no words)," Himchan muttered incredulously. "Jungmi doesn't even call ME 'Oppa!' What did you DO to her, Gukkie?"

"I just asked her to call me, 'Oppa,' on the note attached to her gift. Wae?" Yongguk asked with a shrug. Himchan pouted at his lame reaction.

"That's not fair! Jungmi, call me, 'Oppa,' too, okay?" pleaded Himchan. "Try it. Say, 'Oppa.'"

"Mianhae... I'm not very comfortable with saying it..." mumbled Jungmi, flushing pink.

"Aw... You can do that with Yongguk, but not me? We're the same age, though!"

"Mianhae, Himchan-oppa..." Jungmi widened her eyes at her mistake, while Himchan pumped his fist triumphantly.

"Ha! I tricked you! Thanks anyway, Jungmi. Oppa wanjeon haengbokhae, jinjja (*Oppa is very happy, really)! Ow!" exclaimed Himchan when Yongguk punched him on the arm.

"It's not right to deceive a lady. If you don't want to call us, 'Oppa,' you don't have to, Jungmi."

"You know, I don't even know your actual ages, Jungmi and Youngmi. I doubt that you know ours. How old are you two?" interjected Youngjae before a fight could break out between Yongguk and Himchan.   

"I just turned 19 in November and Youngmi turned 17 in September," replied Jungmi quietly.

"Oh! I'll be 19 soon in January! We're friends." Youngjae smiled at Jungmi. "And you're a little younger than Daehyun. He's born in June."

"I see... It's nice to know that there are others my age." Jungmi smiled back. Youngjae and Daehyun weren't prepared for that and nearly choked on their food. Yongguk and Himchan had to thump their backs so that they could breathe again. Right beside Jungmi, Youngmi were talking to the two maknaes.

"What about you, Jongup? Zelo? What are your ages?" asked Youngmi. She took a bite of her cereal, trying to appear as calm as possible. Truthfully, her heart was beating rapidly at just anticipating Jongup's answer alone.

"I'm 17. I'll turn 18 in February," Jongup said, looking Youngmi straight in the eyes.

"And I just turned 16 in October..." replied Zelo uncomfortably.

"Ooh! That means that I'm your Noona," winked Youngmi and pinched his cheeks, causing Zelo's cheeks to flame in embarrassment and happiness. "Try calling me, 'Youngmi-noona.'"

"Youngmi." Jungmi said sharply. She felt that Youngmi's bright personality could be intimidating at times, especially for people like Zelo. If anything, Youngmi's forwardness could repel Zelo instead of draw him in. To Jungmi's suprise, Zelo grinned tentatively.

"Jungmi-noona, it's okay. I want to call her Noona," Zelo said, also surprising everyone on the table. The boys knew that he was the most uncomfortable around Youngmi. Only Jongup knew that it was because he found her attractive. "I made the pancakes as best as I could, Youngmi-noona. Have some..."

Youngmi smiled softly at his shyness. "Anything for you, Zelo-ah."

Everyone finished their meal in a slightly awkward silence. That is, until Himchan cleared his throat. "Well, enough of this mushy stuff. Let's go do something fun! Do you have anything in mind, Gukkie-ah?"

"Will you stop calling me that in front of the girls, damn it?" muttered Yongguk. He turned towards the girls. "Is there anything you would like to do?"

"I want to go out in the snow... It's so pretty out there!" Youngmi enthused while nudging her sister. "And Jungmi needs to get outdoors, too."

Jungmi stood up and began piling plates onto each other. "I don't need to get outdoors. I'm perfectly fine indoors, thank you very much. If you want to go freeze your out there, go right ahead."

"Oh, come on, Jungmi, your sister is telling the truth. You need to get out more," Youngjae got up from his seat, grabbed Jungmi's hand, and began to pull her towards the front door.

"But, we need to clean the table--" Jungmi began, only to be interrupted by Daehyun, who was adjusting the mask over his mouth.

"Why don't Youngmi and the rest of you go outside? I'll help Jungmi with the dishes." Youngjae stopped pulling Jungmi and stared at his best friend in awe. Daehyun is helping her out? This is something new...

"Thanks, Daehyun. You guys better join us later. Come on, everyone, let's go have some fun!" Yongguk said while ushering everyone outside. Youngjae scratched his head and followed suit.

Daehyun turned around to find Jungmi piling dishes onto her arms again. He swiftly walked around the table and swept up the dishes into his arms to place them in the sink.

"Um, thank you, Daehyun-ssi. You really don't have to help," mumbled Jungmi. For some reason, after their first meeting at the convenience store, she couldn't quite get used to being around Daehyun. Something about him unsettled her, though not in a negative way. It was almost as though she was nervous around him, but not quite. What was more, Daehyun proved to be more helpful and kind than his profile made him out to be.

He stopped and gave her a look as if to say: But, I want to help.

"Well, I can't help it if you want to help. But, if you ever feel obligated..."

"Do you know that if people want to help you, you should allow them to?" asked Daehyun from behind his mask. Jungmi blinked up at him. Although his words were serious, his eyes were smiling mischievously.

"Well, I'm used to people doing their own thing while I work. And plus, we agreed on this arrangement when we first arrived. So, I think it's best if you enjoy your time with your hyungs--"

"Jungmi, do I make you uncomfortable?" Daehyun brushed past her to fill the sink with soapy water. He began washing the first dish. "If I make you uncomfortable, just tell me. Then, I'll back off."

"No!" Jungmi exclaimed. Daehyun paused and stared at her. She cleared and continued. "I mean, no. You don't make me uncomfortable. In fact, being around you is... interesting. You don't speak much, but I can understand you just fine. Although you appear rough, the vibe you give off suggests that you are gentle and kind. You are a mystery to me, yet you seem so transparent..."

When Jungmi realized that she was rambling, she went out to the table to grab more plates. Then all of a sudden, she heard: I'm transparent? Well, at least I don't bore her. And she finds me interesting. For some reason, that makes me happy.

She spun around to find Daehyun washing the dishes solemnly. Or so it appeared. Did I just... hear his thoughts?

Once again, Daehyun's voice spoke, but he wasn't physically speaking. I mean, who am I to force myself onto her? If she doesn't need help, she doesn't need help, Jung Daehyun! Why can't you get that into your thick skull?

"Um, Daehyun, could you do me a favor? I'll wash the dishes. Could you put the rest of the food into containers for me?" Jungmi inquired, wanting to test this new phenomenon.

Great, now she has downgraded you to putting food into containers. Nice going, Daehyun. "Sure, I'll do that." Jungmi chuckled, earning her a puzzled look from Daehyun.

As she resumed washing the dishes, she announced, "By the way, Daehyun. Thank you for helping me. I really appreciate it, even though it doesn't seem that way." She smiled when Daehyun's thoughts shifted positively.

She appreciates it... Well, I'm glad that I could at least do something to help her out.  

~:~:~:~:~

"I'm going to get you, Oppa!" giggled Youngmi as she scooped up a snowball. Himchan stuck out his tongue.

"Come and get me, then!" He began sprinting towards the other end of the street. When he reached the other side, Youngmi vaulted the snowball, hoping that it would reach him. It plopped on the ground a few feet in front of her. She blew at her bangs in disappointment. Aish, it has always been Eonni who had hand-eye coordination. Not me.

"Incoming!" came a shout. Youngmi turned around, only to be knocked backwards by a snowball to her forehead. She twisted her ankle in the process of crumpling to the floor.

"Youngmi!" The boys cried while running towards her at the same time. She struggled to get up with a painful groan and opened her eyes to find five pairs of eyes staring back at her.

"Youngmi, are you alright? Are you hurt anywhere?" Jongup asked worriedly.  

"I-I think my ankle is..." Youngmi froze when she felt something warm and salty slip into the corners of . Her nose prickled with discomfort.

"Youngmi-noona! Your nose bleeding!" The maknae exclaimed. He jumped up and began flailing his arms. "We have to do something! I know! I'll call Jungmi-noona!" With that, he disappeared into the house.

Youngjae shook his head. "I'm sorry, Zelo has always been that way. Something is seriously wrong with him."

"Did you say that your ankle is...?" Yongguk began.

"My ankle is sprained, I think. I twisted it while falling," Youngmi mumbled, doing her best to hide the pain swelling up in her ankle.

"Jongup, bring her into the house. The rest of us will clean the driveway so that we can go to the infirmary. We should grab her some ointment for her nosebleed and ankle."

"Yes, Hyung. Come Youngmi, let me help you into the house," Jongup offered. Youngmi happily obliged. Jongup slipped his lean and muscular arms securely around her waist and led her to the front door.

Youngmi stared up at Jongup's handsome side profile. Two weeks ago, she couldn't have even imagined being this close to him. Standing with her friends in the hallway at high school gave her an excellent view of Jongup's locker, but there was never a time when she was close to him like this. Youngmi's pain-riddled frown morphed into a smile. Jongup, my hero.

Warmth washed over the both of them as they stepped into the house. Youngmi could hear Zelo sobbing in the kitchen. "Youngmi-noona... Youngmi-noona..."

"Zelo, why don't you sit on the side? I'll look for something to patch her up..." Jungmi suggested while flitting to and fro.

"I can't... What if Youngmi-noona faints? What if she has to go to the hospital because she's losing too much blood?"

"She doesn't need to go to the hospital, Zelo. She will be fine."

"How do you know that?"

"Because I'm her sister."

"Jungmi-noona, I brought Youngmi in. Where do you want me to set her?" Jongup called out. Jungmi popped her head out of the kitchen to find the two standing at the door.

"Um, just set her on the couch. Make sure she is lying down, okay? Prop her sprained foot up and parallel to the ground. I'll come around to clean her nose soon."

"You don't have to fuss over me, Eonni. I'm all good." Youngmi reassured while Jongup released her from his grip. She pouted. She wanted his arm to remain around her waist for just a little while longer.

Jungmi stepped out of the kitchen with a first-aid kit. "Daehyun, do you mind getting a bag of ice for her ankle? That would be awesome." She paused when she got to Youngmi and gasped. "What the heck did you do, Shim Youngmi? Blood is spurting out of your nose like a geyser!"

"I told you, Noona!" Zelo cried from the kitchen.

"We were having a snowball fight and-- ouch! And while I chased after Himchan-oppa, someone said, 'Incoming!' And I got bashed in the head with a snowball. It's okay, I just-- Aish, that hurts, Eonni! I just sprained my ankle. I don't think my nose is broken. It's probably raw because of the weather outside." Youngmi explained while Jungmi cleaned her nose. Daehyun appeared and handed Jungmi the bag of ice. She place it on Youngmi's now swollen ankle and sighed.

"That's it. You aren't going out for the rest of the day, got it? And for the rest of the week for that matter. We're going to need to get you crutches, an ankle brace, and... Oh, Youngmi, why did you have to be so careless?"

"Noona, don't blame her, please. It was MY fault. I threw the snowball..." Jongup bowed his head in shame. "I'm sorry, Youngmi. It was really an accident."

Youngmi smiled brightly at him. "Don't worry. This happens all the time!"

"Since when, Youngmi? I always made sure that this does NOT happen 'all the time.' Babo. How could you be so foolish?" Jungmi muttered. To Jongup, "Where are the others?"

"They went to get ointments and stuff for--"

As if right on cue, Himchan bursted through the door. "Jungmi-baksa (*Doctor Jungmi), how is our patient?"

"She's fine. Just a nosebleed from the cold and a sprained ankle." Jungmi clarified, sending Youngmi a hard glare. "She should stay in for the rest of the week."

"We have crutches and ointments for her nose. Where should we put these?" Youngjae inquired while entering through the door.

"Right by the TV is fine. Where is Yongguk-oppa?"

"Parking the car."

"Aigoo... What are we going to do about our pretty Youngmi?" grieved Himchan. Zelo continued to sob in the corner while Jongup went to his side to comfort him.

"Himchan-oppa, if you don't stop crying, I will no longer call you, 'Oppa.'" Jungmi threatened. Himchan widened his eyes at her.

"Okay, okay! I'm stopping!"

Everyone froze as the front door slammed open once more. While snow billowed in, Yongguk cursed as a new gust of wind slapped snowflakes into his face. He forced the door closed and shook off the snow. He looked up and saw that everyone was staring at him. "Did something happen while I was gone?"

 

*****Hey, all! I'm sorry for such a long update, but I tried to make this chapter as interesting as possible. Truthfully, I had so much fun and trouble writing this chapter, it took me a while to proofread everything and present it to you today... Anyway, I hope you enjoy this update, even though it is a little long! Please comment, subscribe, and if you have any questions, let me know! I appreciate it! :)*****